From Boston to the south! I love all my southerners!

Every time I drive thru Louisiana on Interstate 10 gotta stop at the Rice Palace and have a plate of crawfish etouffee. ... :thup:

Rice Palace? Isn't that like a restaurant, truck stop place? I've eaten there!! Damn good food, as I recall! I was on I-10 a lot back in the day.

I remember driving on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge in enough bad storms that I had a permanent crease in the seat of my truck. Hated that thing.

Every time I drive thru Louisiana on Interstate 10 gotta stop at the Rice Palace and have a plate of crawfish etouffee. ... :thup:
Petos travel plaza in Jennings, LA has the best boudin...my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Definitely going to try the Rice Palace...I'll tell them Sunni Man sent me. :lol:

Too many Jews?
Way too many looney liberals. ... :cool:
What freaks me out about those big cities is they walk a lot...but no one looks makes eye contact. They look I your direction fleetingly, I assume to assess if you are a threat, then quick look away. It's unnerving for a country boy.

Yeah, that applies to every big city. But some are worse than others. Atlanta is still a southern city, but you still have the lack of personal contact.

Petos travel plaza in Jennings, LA has the best boudin...my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Definitely going to try the Rice Palace...I'll tell them Sunni Man sent me. :lol:

One of things that amazed me when I worked in Louisiana, is that you can get the most amazing cajun and creole food in the oddest little places. Convenience stores and truck stop have some of the best food. There was an old guy in Eunice LA who would make boudin balls in an iron pot in his yard. People would see him setting up and start waiting. You would get your boudin in a brown paper back, with grease soaking through, and it was as good as any fine dining food ever.

Just don't ask a cajun what is in the food.

One of things that amazed me when I worked in Louisiana, is that you can get the most amazing cajun and creole food in the oddest little places. Convenience stores and truck stop have some of the best food. There was an old guy in Eunice LA who would make boudin balls in an iron pot in his yard. People would see him setting up and start waiting. You would get your boudin in a brown paper back, with grease soaking through, and it was as good as any fine dining food ever.

Texas is like that too...but with Mexican food. You want the best most authentic Mexican, you'll find it in the oddest places.

Too many Jews?
Way too many looney liberals. ... :cool:
What freaks me out about those big cities is they walk a lot...but no one makes eye contact. They look in your direction fleetingly, I assume to assess if you are a threat, then quickly look away. It's unnerving for a country boy.
There should be a law against cities over a couple hundred thousand. My personal rule is only towns less than 10 thousand. 2500 is about perfect.

BTW. Anyone who lives north of Atitlan Guatemala is a yankee !

Texas is like that too...but with Mexican food. You want the best most authentic Mexican, you'll find it in the oddest places.
When I go to Austin to visit my sister, or Dallas to see my son.
I look for the little hole-in-the-wall Mexican food cantinas. If I'm the only gringo eating there, I'm in the right place. .... :cool:

The "Hole in the Wall" places have some of the best food. There was a seafood place in Appalachacola FL called Julia May's that was great. There is s restaurant in Altavista VA (greater Lynchburg area) that may be my favorite restaurant ever. Ugly square little building with a gravel lots. Best food, especially steaks, and a liquor menu that cannot be beat!

There is a section of Atlanta with a lot of Mom & Pop ethnic places. There are two Mexican places that serve the best food.

When I worked in Virginia, the chain gas station across from my motel, let this middle aged black woman come in in the mornings and cook up and sell breakfasts, primarily sandwiches. They were very good, and very quick.

And, as I don't like cheese on my breakfast sandwiches, I loved the fact that she would make some, with cheese and some without.

Seems obvious. But so many people can't make that mental leap. I really appreciated it. Gave her business probably at least half the mornings I was there, over the years.

One thing I liked about Boston was all the authentic food places to eat. It's an immigrant city broken up into various ethnic enclaves. Name the country, and you'll find an area where they live and have the real deal cuisine. ... :cool:

One thing I liked about Boston was all the authentic food places to eat. It's an immigrant city broken up into various ethnic enclaves. Name the country, and you'll find an area where they live and have the real deal cuisine. ... :cool:

I think a lot of the big cities do. Immigrants like to have a taste of home, like anyone does.

This morning I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Shreveport. I couldn't resist. I told him about Jitler's comment that Legal Seafood Gumbo has okra. I had to wait a minute or two while he laughed. The first thing he asked was "Where is this guy from?". Because he knew it was no where in Louisiana, or even the south. He got a big kick out of it.

I'm still waiting for some sort of response to what "legal seafood gumbo" means. There is not an item on a cajun or creole menu that does not vary from place to place.

Legal seafood gumbo has
Okra in it

Ok, so there is a chance that you were referring to Legal Seafood (a chain restaurant). They have several places in Boston. Only one of them, from what I saw, lists gumbo on the menu. And it does have okra in it. But fried okra. Fried okra? In gumbo? Okey dokey then.

Legal seafood gumbo has
Okra in it

Ok, so there is a chance that you were referring to Legal Seafood (a chain restaurant). They have several places in Boston. Only one of them, from what I saw, lists gumbo on the menu. And it does have okra in it. But fried okra. Fried okra? In gumbo? Okey dokey then.
99% of the USA pows in Germany were returned home,, How come Eisenhower starved off all the German POWs?

Legal seafood gumbo has
Okra in it

99% of the USA pows in Germany were returned home,, How come Eisenhower starved off all the German POWs?

So now you want to post about the topic on a previous thread? lol

Stick to the topic of this thread.

Forum List

Back