From Boston to the south! I love all my southerners!

One of the great things about the south is the food, namely the produce. Most of what you see in the grocery store is grown in Florida or the southwest. Dry places with sandy soil. The vegetables grown in the rich soil of the south taste completely different. Tomatoes so juices you need to slice them in a bowl. Greens, peas, and all the rest are the best.

One of the great things about the south is the food, namely the produce. Most of what you see in the grocery store is grown in Florida or the southwest. Dry places with sandy soil. The vegetables grown in the rich soil of the south taste completely different. Tomatoes so juices you need to slice them in a bowl. Greens, peas, and all the rest are the best.

Oh my. The food. Being a yankee and coming here 11 years ago. What a change. Change for the good too.

Most people I know LOVE fried taters! In lard of course.

My parents always had a garden and we ate pretty high on the hog as a result. They were always giving it away by the bushel basket. Potatoes, sweet potatoes, green or snap beans, lima beans, okra, tomatoes, squash, English peas, corn, onions, turnips, carrots, strawberries, black eyed peas, bell peppers, water melons, cantaloupes, etc. Mom canned a lot of it too. Her tomato juice was the best I've ever tasted. They were both from farms so they were both accustomed to growing and producing their their own food.
If we had not lived in town they would probably have had chickens, cows and pigs like my grandparents did. If you decided on chicken for dinner it began in the wood lot and chopping a free range chicken's head off. We're talking from scratch here and it tasted better and unlike anything you can buy from a supermarket or get in a restaurant.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back