🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Gerrymander the Electoral College?

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
It seems that Republicans are now considering a new idea to try to win the WH next time.

They want to divide up the electoral college votes along gerrymandered House election districts. Considering that the House Dems got over 1,000,000 more votes than House Republicans, yet the GOP retained control of the House, I don't think this is a good idea.

They worked out the math for it on this last election, and if the Red State plan (those are the people who thought it up) were applied, Obama still would have won the popular vote by over a million votes, but he would have lost the electoral college and Mittens would have won.

Fortunately, since this idea has made it into the public, many Reps who were for this idea are now against it (Rove among them), because they know it would be a disaster for them publicly. However, MI is still considering going with this.

Anyone else still think that the GOP plays fair with elections?

It seems that Republicans are now considering a new idea to try to win the WH next time.

They want to divide up the electoral college votes along gerrymandered House election districts. Considering that the House Dems got over 1,000,000 more votes than House Republicans, yet the GOP retained control of the House, I don't think this is a good idea.

They worked out the math for it on this last election, and if the Red State plan (those are the people who thought it up) were applied, Obama still would have won the popular vote by over a million votes, but he would have lost the electoral college and Mittens would have won.

Fortunately, since this idea has made it into the public, many Reps who were for this idea are now against it (Rove among them), because they know it would be a disaster for them publicly. However, MI is still considering going with this.

They've got a million of them.

Is it legal? Then STF-up.

Simply another GOP attack on our democracy. And yet, they get so upset when you compare them to al Qaeda. You know, that organization whose leader they let go.

Obama campaign strategy was based on the reality of the moment. No matter what the GOP does, a Dem campaign worthy of winning should be able to plan a strategy to win

A NEW idea? Elbridge Gerry was a democrat 200 years ago. Radical libs need to put more hours into real history than Huffington.

Really, You think this is a Republican Idea and it's new? Some states already do it fool.

I just made a decision, that I'm Pro-gerry.. Leisure mander with prejudice for some.

In a vacuum, it makes more sense. You shouldn't be able to win Las Vegas proper and take the whole of Nevada's electoral votes; should you?

The problem with the plan is what do you do with the other two votes that each state gets for it's Senators.

I still think the best system for the American People is to force the President Elect to garner both the majority of the Electoral vote along with the plurality of the popular vote.

This has been on here before I think it's a good idea and more appropriate to what our forefathers intended for the electoral college which was that it would prevent certain areas of the country and big cities from controlling the country. It would force the candidates to focus their attention on the whole country instead of those with the most electoral votes. Actually, my idea is to just give each state 1 electoral vote, that way each state has the same say in who gets elected and we stop being ruled by Florida, California, etc.

Virginia is also trying their hand at the only chance the GOP has to win nationally. They voted on a redistricting plan while a member of the General Assemnly, who happens to be a leader in civil right, was in Washington at Obama's inauguation. Classy huh?

In their defense, it is probably the only chance they have of turning the national tide away from the Old White Man's party. Desperation spawns desperate measures. But now that their plan is very public, yes, many of the old guard are backing off.

GOPP​

Grand Old Pathetic Party​

Forum List

Back