Giffords is trying to steal our rights

Don't know where you got your numbers but they are way off, there were only, 16,400 murders in 2011, the last year complete data is available, and not all those were committed with guns. Check your data before you jump out there with ignorant statements.

"Only" 16,400 murders in 2011? ONLY? Jesus Christ, that is about 15,000 too many. I can't believe you say that figure like its not a big deal.
8583 gun-related homicies in 2001, not all of which were crimes.
300,000,000 guns un the US.
1 gun in ~35,000 is involved in a homicide - 0.0028% of guns.
Not seeing the problem.

2001? that was 12 years ago..
and the numbers are more like 88.8 guns for every 100 americans.. Its the highes ration in the world by the way.. Also we have the highest gun death ratio of any western nation..Still dont see a problem or are the facts the NRA spits out just too damn cozy for your sensibilities

"Only" 16,400 murders in 2011? ONLY? Jesus Christ, that is about 15,000 too many. I can't believe you say that figure like its not a big deal.
Not seeing the problem.
2011. Sorry.
FBI ? Expanded Homicide Data Table 8
Note the 15% decline from 2007.

and the numbers are more like 88.8 guns for every 100 americans..
OK...
US population: 313,914,000
8583 gun-related homicides, 278,000,000 guns.
1 gun in ~32,400 used in homicide, 0.003% of guns.
Still not seeing the problem.

Not seeing the problem.
2011. Sorry.

OK...

278,000,000 guns for 313,914,000 people and you dont see the problem? Ok, fair enough.. what about the whole us being #1 in gun murders in any western nation?

2011. Sorry.

OK...
278,000,000 guns for 313,914,000 people and you dont see the problem?
1 gun in ~32,400 - 0.003% of the guns in the US - is used to commit homicide.
What "problem" does this describe, and how?

2011. Sorry.

OK...

It is the highest ratio of any other nation, what part of that is so difficult. As Americans we kill more people using guns than any other civilized nation..That my friend is a serious problem that needs to be adressed.

It is the highest ratio of any other nation, what part of that is so difficult. As Americans we kill more people using guns than any other civilized nation..That my friend is a serious problem that needs to be adressed.
Statistically, compared to the number of guns in the US the number of guns to commit homicide appraches 0 -- and so, the numbers say otherwise.
Very clearly, the number of guns we have here is not a problem.

Statistically, compared to the number of guns in the US the number of guns to commit homicide appraches 0 -- and so, the numbers say otherwise.

No, but the number of gun homicides is. I never said that guns were the issue, I said that the American culture of guns is the problem. We love them so much that 88.8% of us own them.. I live in a suburb of Princeton, NJ and there is no reason that even half of the people who live in my town need a gun even though they probably do. heck, we have never had a murder in this sleepy town. But, we love our guns and the stats show that we love to use them more than any other nation.

No, but the number of gun homicides is.
The number of non-gun homicides is not?
The solution to your perceived problem clearly lies in something not related to the number of guns in the US.
What do you suggest?

Republicans attack Gabby Giffords...

Win-win

The solution to your perceived problem clearly lies in something not related to the number of guns in the US.
What do you suggest?

No, but the number of gun related homicides is.
My solution is to change the culture of American thinking. Stop painting the picture of firearms as "cool" toys. They are deadly tools, a neccessary evil in a modern world. This isnt a protecting yourself from tyrany thing, that argument is one I never got. 40 years ago everybody was smoking ciggarettes with no regard, and if you told someone they were dangerous they would scoff. Today, if you see a kid smoking they are not normal and everyone will say something about the risks. A similar discussion needs to happen with guns. Stop making them out to be this romantic tool and call a spade a spade, they are deadly forces that are the number one killer of black teens.

What do you suggest?
I see.
What is our non-gun murder rate and how does that compare to the rest of the civilized world?

My solution is to change the culture of American thinking. Stop painting the picture of firearms as "cool" toys.
To what end? How will this reduce the number of gun-related homicides?

What do you suggest?
I see.
What is our non-gun murder rate and how does that compare to the rest of the civilized world?

My solution is to change the culture of American thinking. Stop painting the picture of firearms as "cool" toys.

I have no clue, but our gun related murder rate speaks for itself and are unintentional gun death rate is 7 times higher than other high income countries. To what end? until guns are viewed like ciggarettes, if you want one have it, but you now know the consequences that come with ownership. Can we at least agree that America has a serious gun violence issue?

"where there is no law, there is no freedom: for liberty is, to be free from restraint and violence from others; which cannot be, where there is no law: but freedom is not, as we are told, a liberty for every man to do what he lists... for who could be free, when every other man's humour might domineer over him?"

-- John Locke; from Second Treatise of Civil Government, CHAP. VI.

Whatever I say is law - Barack Obama

Call me crazy, but I see the Gun issue in a totally different light and I was scrolling to see if im alone. turns out I am. Is there anyone else out there who thinks this isnt a law problem, but a cultural issue. Americans love our guns, and we love our violence, usually those two dont mesh well. People who have very very low chances of being victims of violent crime are often the ones who are most enthusiastic that they "need" guns for self-defense. In the past year, more than 31,000 people were killed by guns in the US, where in Britain, only around 500 have been killed. It isnt the guns, its the people with the guns. In other words guns arent killing people, people who love guns are.

Don't know where you got your numbers but they are way off, there were only, 16,400 murders in 2011, the last year complete data is available, and not all those were committed with guns. Check your data before you jump out there with ignorant statements.

I simply pointed out the number used was nearly double that of reality, no where did I say it was no big deal. Did you bother to read the follow up post?

The background check is more an infringement than just regulating public firearms - all public owned firearms should be bolt or lever action per round and without detachable magazines.

All printing presses should be carved would with fixed type. None of this movable type and electronic...

Hey, might as well end all civil rights, eh comrade?

I see.

I have no clue....
So how can you state that out non-gun murder rate is not a problem?

US homicide rate 2011 was 4.8/100k.
66.8% of homicides were gun-related, thus the US non-gun homicide rate was 1.6/100k
How does that compare to, say, the UK, Ireland, Holland, Australia, Sweeden, New Zealand, Italy, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Austria, Norway, Japan and Iceland?

To what end? until guns are viewed like ciggarettes, if you want one have it, but you now know the consequences that come with ownership.
How will this reduce the number of gun-related homicides?

I see.

I have no clue....
So how can you state that out non-gun murder rate is not a problem?

US homicide rate 2011 was 4.8/100k.
66.8% of homicides were gun-related, thus the US non-gun homicide rate was 1.6/100k
How does that compare to, say, the UK, Ireland, Holland, Australia, Sweeden, New Zealand, Italy, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Austria, Norway, Japan and Iceland?

To what end? until guns are viewed like ciggarettes, if you want one have it, but you now know the consequences that come with ownership.
How will this reduce the number of gun-related homicides?

Because those who are often the most overzealous to use guns, the ones who think that they are John Mclain or something are the ones who die by it. Adding a gun into the equation can make you feel safer, but statistically at least it just increases the likelihood that you are shot.

Forum List

Back