Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers

Oh stick it in your ear with your high and mighty rhetoric that this was just a photo op.

:lol:

The publicity has helped him raise over a million dollars to date.

Gee, should all these people that donated their time and effort to the relief efforts be looked down upon as well?

In your bigoted world can it only be liberals that are caring and compassionate.

Too many USMB libs have really flushed themselves out as bitchy maggots who just can't bear the thought of a conservative doing a good deed for their fellow man.

You make me want to bazooka barf you've been so vile just because you don't agree with a man's politics.

You completely misread the point.

His "politics" are irrelevant to this, nor did I make any mention of them whatsoever. Assume much? What I see is egomania. And that ain't pretty on anybody. Nor is it anything new on this guy.
Where I come from, if you do something good, you do something good and get the hell out of the way. You don't go puffing yourself up with cameras and blogs and caravans to make sure everybody knows about it just because your ego needs a fix. That's bullshit.

Just telling it like it is.

You're right. Politics are irrelevent to this. And Mercury One does not involve itself in poliics or social advocacy of any kind.

But you are wrong that the 'rich and famous' cannot be commended unless they do their good works in secret. One of the benefits of being 'rich and famous' is name recognition and being able to draw a crowd. And to have the clout to encourage a particular response from those crowds. So if a Glenn Beck can muster a million dollars in donations in a few minutes by going public and asking for them, why should he not do that?

Honestly, is it so necessary to be so partisan that good works must be condemned if it is the 'wrong person' doing them? Why can't we just applaud good works and that people are being helped no matter who is doing it? If I'm thirsty and somebody offers me water, or if my baby has no diaper and needs changing, I'm not going to inquire about his/her motive or politics before accepting water or diapers.

I just made the point -- and have made the same point throughout--- that politics is not the issue here. Egomania is. Nor did I say Beck "cannot be commended" or is the "wong person". Y'all are putting your own words in my posts. This point isn't political; it's personal. It's not about politics but character.

I simply see an opportunism that's blatantly transparent, in a long legacy of exploiting the dramatic (anybody remember the "9/12 project"?).

And no, I don't think he'd be doing any of this if it didn't get him the splash it's getting right here. Just look at what we have here: not a tornado-victim story but a Glenn Beck story. Nuff said. So by all means bring the help and supplies, but also recognize what's behind it.

Last edited:
I don't agree with some of Glenn Beck's politics, but this is very generous what he is doing.

Convoy of hope: Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers | Twitchy

When people unnecessarily shine a spotlight on themselves as they're doing some kind of charitable work, I'm always suspicious of their true motives, regardless of who they are.

I agree with you when people do that but, that is not what Beck is doing.
He tweeted that Mercury One needed donations.
He tweeted that he was having trouble getting semi trucks.
He got both things very quickly.
When he got there he showed the devastation and the rest of the people who are there helping. He talked about how the local Home Depot store was helping.
He did have a caravan of vehicles. 4 SUV's and two semi trucks.
Not once did he say anything about himself.

So show us how he shined a spotlight on himself.

I suppose, to be fair, someone else was shining the spotlight on him while another someone else was pointing the camera at him.

His "politics" are irrelevant to this, nor did I make any mention of them whatsoever. Assume much? What I see is egomania. And that ain't pretty on anybody. Nor is it anything new on this guy.
Where I come from, if you do something good, you do something good and get the hell out of the way. You don't go puffing yourself up with cameras and blogs and caravans to make sure everybody knows about it just because your ego needs a fix. That's bullshit.

You're right. Politics are irrelevent to this. And Mercury One does not involve itself in poliics or social advocacy of any kind.

But you are wrong that the 'rich and famous' cannot be commended unless they do their good works in secret. One of the benefits of being 'rich and famous' is name recognition and being able to draw a crowd. And to have the clout to encourage a particular response from those crowds. So if a Glenn Beck can muster a million dollars in donations in a few minutes by going public and asking for them, why should he not do that?

Honestly, is it so necessary to be so partisan that good works must be condemned if it is the 'wrong person' doing them? Why can't we just applaud good works and that people are being helped no matter who is doing it? If I'm thirsty and somebody offers me water, or if my baby has no diaper and needs changing, I'm not going to inquire about his/her motive or politics before accepting water or diapers.

I just made the point -- and have made the same point throughout--- that politics is not the issue here. Egomania is. Nor did I say Beck "cannot be commended" or is the "wong person". Y'all are putting your own words in my posts.

I simply see an opportunism that's blatantly transparent, in a long legacy of exploiting the dramatic (anybody remember the "9/12 project"?).

And no, I don't think he'd be doing any of this if it didn't get him the splash it's getting right here. Just look at what we have here: not a tornado-victim story but a Glenn Beck story. Nuff said. So by all means bring the help and supplies, but also recognize what's behind it.

Well I'm not privy to such expertise in psychoanalysis I guess. I was raised to appreciate good works when they are done and I was also taught to judge not lest I be judged also. I will not question Glenn Beck's motives because I don't know what they are. I don't really care. He did a good thing worthy of respect and appreciation.

He could have raised money for a public building with his name on it or some such, but instead he used his fame to raise money to help people who probably won't have a clue where the help came from. I am not going to accuse him or anybody else who does something like that.

When people unnecessarily shine a spotlight on themselves as they're doing some kind of charitable work, I'm always suspicious of their true motives, regardless of who they are.

When he got there he showed the devastation and the rest of the people who are there helping. He talked about how the local Home Depot store was helping.

I suppose, to be fair, someone else was shining the spotlight on him while another someone else was pointing the camera at him.

Same thing with all of the other people who were there reporting on the destruction.

i guess NYC realized he did in fact lie and ran away

nycarb is a coward

I answered your post you fat fuck. That you're pretending you didn't read it is just more indication of your character.

no you didn't. cite where you answered this specific post:

dumbest strawman of the day or the year

no one said that, ever

and you know it

Oh my, suddenly as if by magic all the conservatives around here agree with ME that it is a legitimate role of the federal government to provide for the general welfare.

ha!!!!!

nice try liar.

no one said we don't need government, and no one said the private sector took care of the situation

that is two lies in one post

ha!!!!!
!

go on now...get to work and let's see your answer

Last edited:

Same thing with all of the other people who were there reporting on the destruction.

Not necessarily. Some were sent on assignment. It's their job, and they don't really have much choice on whether they can go or not. They're drawing a paycheck, and that's a condition of their employment. One can argue that there's too many people reporting from Moore, and/or they may be getting in the way, or that they're soaking up too much of the resources which victims or rescue personnel could use.

But Beck is a media empire unto himself. And while that simple fact is disturbing in and off itself, that doesn't alter the fact that Beck could choose whether to go at this point in time or wait for a few weeks until the immediacy of the emergency is past. He certainly wasn't needed to pass out packages of food and other supplies.

IMHO, Beck is basically using the tragedy to build his image and further his professional interests.

You're talking about Obama, right? :eusa_whistle:

What are the first two words of the thread title?
-- That tells us all we need to know about where the focus is here.

When Captain Obvious notes that Glenn Beck is an attention whore he's not exactly breaking a revelation to anyone. The man has a long and checkered history and one pattern stays consistent throughout.

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of opportunis-um.

Again.

I smell a hypocritical hack regarding your answer, and being down wind from you, I can only assume that it's you. :eusa_whistle:

I just made the point -- and have made the same point throughout--- that politics is not the issue here. Egomania is. Nor did I say Beck "cannot be commended" or is the "wong person". Y'all are putting your own words in my posts.

Well I'm not privy to such expertise in psychoanalysis I guess. I was raised to appreciate good works when they are done and I was also taught to judge not lest I be judged also. I will not question Glenn Beck's motives because I don't know what they are. I don't really care. He did a good thing worthy of respect and appreciation.

He could have raised money for a public building with his name on it or some such, but instead he used his fame to raise money to help people who probably won't have a clue where the help came from. I am not going to accuse him or anybody else who does something like that.

I agree. And what I said at the outset was, if this was simply a "good work", then there would be no need to publicize it, and this thread, which again is about Glenn Beck rather than about tornado recovery, would not exist. True charity needs no megaphone.

You're talking about Obama, right? :eusa_whistle:

What are the first two words of the thread title?
-- That tells us all we need to know about where the focus is here.

When Captain Obvious notes that Glenn Beck is an attention whore he's not exactly breaking a revelation to anyone. The man has a long and checkered history and one pattern stays consistent throughout.

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of opportunis-um.

Again.

I smell a hypocritical hack regarding your answer, and being down wind from you, I can only assume that it's you. :eusa_whistle:

Take a deep breath and try to tell me that Glenn Beck does NOT have a history of attention whoring.

OK then.

And by the way you're upwind from me by two thousand miles. Unless geography is another liberal plot :lol:

Last edited:

I agree. And what I said at the outset was, if this was simply a "good work", then there would be no need to publicize it, and this thread, which again is about Glenn Beck rather than about tornado recovery, would not exist. True charity needs no megaphone.

you again miss the point. he publicized it in order to draw attention to his charity for the victims. due to his publicizing it, he has raised over a million dollars.

you never bitch when dems have public fundraisers or help victims, you're a whiny hypocrite.

Does showing one's private charitable effort sometimes motivate others to do what they can as well??

If the answer is yes, then there is no problem with a little publicity.. Especially when it is not being funded by governmental dollars..

"...Yes, because I know that when someone gives me something and then they tell others that they did the gift suddenly vanishes in a vile black puff of a cloud. That’s the ticket…"
You really don't get it, do you? My condolences.

No. You don't get it. He had to advertise this since you know, nobody in Moore has any cell phone service or cable, or any connections to the outside world really. How else does he get people to notice those poor people there? Anonymity would be very unwise. Because of his fame, he is able to draw in untold amounts of cash donations to a cause he sees worthy. This is a very worthy cause. And so far it's worked.

I just checked Twitter and he and one of Mercury One's three board members accompanied the trucks to Moore tweeting their progress and giving updates all along the way and encouraging more donations. That allows those who contributed to share in the journey and witness a bit of the results of the effort. Sometimes true charity is using what you have been blessed with to do good too.

you again miss the point. he publicized it in order to draw attention to his charity for the victims. due to his publicizing it, he has raised over a million dollars.

you never bitch when dems have public fundraisers or help victims, you're a whiny hypocrite.

You actually believe I'm required to approve or disapprove every time a "dem" (or anyone) holds a fundraiser and report it to you??

Are you insane?

Last edited:

Not necessarily. Some were sent on assignment. It's their job, and they don't really have much choice on whether they can go or not. They're drawing a paycheck, and that's a condition of their employment. One can argue that there's too many people reporting from Moore, and/or they may be getting in the way, or that they're soaking up too much of the resources which victims or rescue personnel could use.

But Beck is a media empire unto himself. And while that simple fact is disturbing in and off itself, that doesn't alter the fact that Beck could choose whether to go at this point in time or wait for a few weeks until the immediacy of the emergency is past. He certainly wasn't needed to pass out packages of food and other supplies.

IMHO, Beck is basically using the tragedy to build his image and further his professional interests.

So it's disturbing to have an independent news and information channel not beholding to anyone else, like the rest of our corporate owned news channels? Hmmmmmmmm

He did the same thing with Hurricane Sandy and then reported about it on his 2 shows.
No one seemed to have a problem when he did it for the New York.
Now all of a sudden it's a big problem when he has gone to Oklahoma.

You actually believe I'm required to approve or disapprove every time a "dem" (or anyone) holds a fundraiser and report it to you??

Are you insane?

no...never said you were required to do anything. however, your lack of disapproval simply proves your faux outrage over beck helping people out. it shows you're intellectually dishonest.

just look at your post, you completely ignored the fact the publicity was to generate money for the victims. you're so dishonest and such a hack, you can't address the truth.

So...

As the day has worn on...

glenn-beck-george-washington.jpg

Have we lionized Glenn Beck yet?

Or nominated him for Sainthood?

Inquiring minds don't want to know... :eusa_whistle:

25+ pages on this already... yikes... just toooooo weird... :wtf:

So it's disturbing to have an independent news and information channel not beholding to anyone else, like the rest of our corporate owned news channels? Hmmmmmmmm

Glenn Beck -- news? When has he ever done news?

He did the same thing with Hurricane Sandy and then reported about it on his 2 shows.
No one seemed to have a problem when he did it for the New York.
Now all of a sudden it's a big problem when he has gone to Oklahoma.

He must have done a better job of it in NJ because I didn't hear about it. Perhaps he figured "lesson learned" and pumped up the volume? ;)

That's kind of the weird part. We should be concerned with the people of Oklahoma (or New Jersey etc) -- not with whether some egomaniac televangelist gets his headlines.

Forum List

Back