Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers

Well, kids, you seem bound and determined to portray some of the 'anonymous' and 'photo-op' commentary as Liberals-only in nature, and it's not...

I don't think anybody is suggesting that it is inappropriate for a well-known and syndicated radio talk-show host like Beck from utilizing his high profile or reputation to do fundraising on behalf of the victims of such a disaster...

Some folks - myself included - suggest that showing-up with a couple of truckloads of in-kind goods and leveraging photo-ops of manual labor are a little too Show-Biz -ish to be real.

Want to push your audience and others over the airwaves to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for relief for the survivor-victims of the disaster?

Great! Way to go! Nicely done! Keep at it, if you can - they need as much help in that vein as you can manage for them, through all the usual Disaster Relief donation channels.

But spare us the do-it-yourself kit-car -caliber Circus Sideshow - the Great Disaster Relief Bugaboo Hopey-Changey Convoy of 2013", 'K? :razz:

Exactly. :beer:
Attention whoring is still attention whoring. It must suck for that type to be upstaged by an act of God that brings more wind than he does. What to do when the cameras turn? Move to a strategic position in front of them.

As already stated, if his motives were altruistic we'd never know about them. And to whatever extent he or anyone else actually has such motives -- we don't. But he sure doesn't miss the opportunity to play Mother Theresa when the cameras are rolling. I'm sure the good citizens of Moore appreciate their opportunity to serve as a stage prop.

Oh stick it in your ear with your high and mighty rhetoric that this was just a photo op.

:lol:

The publicity has helped him raise over a million dollars to date.

Gee, should all these people that donated their time and effort to the relief efforts be looked down upon as well?

In your bigoted world can it only be liberals that are caring and compassionate.

Too many USMB libs have really flushed themselves out as bitchy maggots who just can't bear the thought of a conservative doing a good deed for their fellow man.

You make me want to bazooka barf you've been so vile just because you don't agree with a man's politics.

So should all these people have stayed away from rolling cameras and just donated privately?

snf12aid5-682_1083547a.jpg

11284092-large.png

9pFSe2ALUNU.jpg

Roger-Waters-12.12.12-Hurricane-Sandy.gif

MOORE, Okla. (AP) — The cost of a massive tornado that battered an Oklahoma City suburb could be more than $2 billion, according to a preliminary estimate announced Wednesday by the Oklahoma Insurance Department.

Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion | News OK

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you everybody for the donations and help! Regardless of what religion or political affiliation you belong to times like this show that "we the people" truly can unite.

Well, kids, you seem bound and determined to portray some of the 'anonymous' and 'photo-op' commentary as Liberals-only in nature, and it's not...

I don't think anybody is suggesting that it is inappropriate for a well-known and syndicated radio talk-show host like Beck from utilizing his high profile or reputation to do fundraising on behalf of the victims of such a disaster...

Some folks - myself included - suggest that showing-up with a couple of truckloads of in-kind goods and leveraging photo-ops of manual labor are a little too Show-Biz -ish to be real.

Want to push your audience and others over the airwaves to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for relief for the survivor-victims of the disaster?

Great! Way to go! Nicely done! Keep at it, if you can - they need as much help in that vein as you can manage for them, through all the usual Disaster Relief donation channels.

But spare us the do-it-yourself kit-car -caliber Circus Sideshow - the Great Disaster Relief Bugaboo Hopey-Changey Convoy of 2013", 'K? :razz:

Attention whoring is still attention whoring. It must suck for that type to be upstaged by an act of God that brings more wind than he does. What to do when the cameras turn? Move to a strategic position in front of them.

As already stated, if his motives were altruistic we'd never know about them. And to whatever extent he or anyone else actually has such motives -- we don't. But he sure doesn't miss the opportunity to play Mother Theresa when the cameras are rolling. I'm sure the good citizens of Moore appreciate their opportunity to serve as a stage prop.

Oh stick it in your ear with your high and mighty rhetoric that this was just a photo op.

Gee, should all these people that donated their time and effort to the relief efforts be looked down upon as well?

In your bigoted world can it only be liberals that are caring and compassionate.

Too many USMB libs have really flushed themselves out as bitchy maggots who just can't bear the thought of a conservative doing a good deed for their fellow man.

You make me want to bazooka barf you've been so vile just because you don't agree with a man's politics.

You completely misread the point.

His "politics" are irrelevant to this, nor did I make any mention of them whatsoever. Assume much? What I see is egomania. And that ain't pretty on anybody. Nor is it anything new on this guy.
Where I come from, if you do something good, you do something good and get the hell out of the way. You don't go puffing yourself up with cameras and blogs and caravans to make sure everybody knows about it just because your ego needs a fix. That's bullshit.

Just telling it like it is.

Last edited:

His "politics" are irrelevant to this, nor did I make any mention of them whatsoever. Assume much? What I see is egomania. And that ain't pretty on anybody. Nor is it anything new on this guy.
Where I come from, if you do something good, you do something good and get the hell out of the way. You don't go puffing yourself up with cameras and blogs and caravans to make sure everybody knows about it just because your ego needs a fix. That's bullshit.

You're talking about Obama, right? :eusa_whistle:

What's with the military jacket?

Olive drab ? I think anyone is allowed to wear it.

And the patches?
Uh, excuse me, pete (the most exposed and dishonest, lying posters on this board), did you ever stop to consider that the jacket was a gift from ACTUAL veterans who appreciate all that his charity work has done for them?

Why of course not, 'cause you're one of the most dense (and dishonest, as has been fully proven) posters on this board.

Last edited:
On a side note, that was one monster tornado.

The National Weather Service upgraded its calculation of the storm's strength on Tuesday, saying it was a rare EF5, the most powerful ranking on the Enhanced Fujita Scale, with winds exceeding 200 miles per hour (320 kph). Damage assessment teams determined it left a trail of destruction measuring about 17 miles (23 km) by 1.3 miles (2 km) wide.

Oklahoma Tornado Aftermath Leaves Trail Of Destruction In Moore (PHOTOS, LIVE UPDATES)

OFFICIAL TRANSLATION:

I've yet again made a complete ass of myself in this thread, as many of my fellow Obamabot morons have also done, and now must desperately try and deflect away from my abjectly moronic, typical of an Obamabot ways.

END OF OFFICIAL TRANSLATION

You're talking about Obama, right? :eusa_whistle:

What are the first two words of the thread title?
-- That tells us all we need to know about where the focus is here.

When Captain Obvious notes that Glenn Beck is an attention whore he's not exactly breaking a revelation to anyone. The man has a long and checkered history and one pattern stays consistent throughout.

Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell the blood of opportunis-um.

Again.

I am very proud of Glenn Beck for doing that. I would be even prouder if he did it without cameras rolling

You will have more righteous justification in criticizing that Beck was noticed for doing a good deed when you criticize as strongly the President or anybody else who is left of center who does a good deed when the cameras are rolling. Do you not think it worthy of media attention that a private citizen is doing a good deed to help others--somebody who cannot possibly hope to profit in any way himself? Do you not think that might inspire others to do more too?

Who are you to criticize Glenn Beck for devoting a great deal of time, personal resources, and energy to organize a charity that is designed for individual Americans to do more to provide aide, encouragement, and hands on aide so that government can do less?

Glenn apparently still has a substantial following though, because within hours of him putting out a Tweet on behalf of the Oklahoma disaster, Mercury One had taken in $1 million dollars in donations. It has almost no overhead of any kind so 99.9% of those donations will be used to help folks in Oklahoma.

Beck founded it, but he does not serve on the board of Mercury One and is not officially affiliated with the organization. His wife is.

[
Glenn apparently still has a substantial following though, because within hours of him putting out a Tweet on behalf of the Oklahoma disaster, Mercury One had taken in $1 million dollars in donations. It has almost no overhead of any kind so 99.9% of those donations will be used to help folks in Oklahoma.

Beck founded it, but he does not serve on the board of Mercury One and is not officially affiliated with the organization. His wife is.

Where are you getting your information about Mercury One?

You're right. Politics are irrelevent to this. And Mercury One does not involve itself in poliics or social advocacy of any kind.

But you are wrong that the 'rich and famous' cannot be commended unless they do their good works in secret. One of the benefits of being 'rich and famous' is name recognition and being able to draw a crowd. And to have the clout to encourage a particular response from those crowds. So if a Glenn Beck can muster a million dollars in donations in a few minutes by going public and asking for them, why should he not do that?

Honestly, is it so necessary to be so partisan that good works must be condemned if it is the 'wrong person' doing them? Why can't we just applaud good works and that people are being helped no matter who is doing it? If I'm thirsty and somebody offers me water, or if my baby has no diaper and needs changing, I'm not going to inquire about his/her motive or politics before accepting water or diapers.

Oh my, suddenly as if by magic all the conservatives around here agree with ME that it is a legitimate role of the federal government to provide for the general welfare.

ha!!!!!

nice try liar.

no one said we don't need government, and no one said the private sector took care of the situation

that is two lies in one post

ha!!!!!!

i guess NYC realized he did in fact lie and ran away

nycarb is a coward

Christ, the abjectly asinine crap coming from the Obamabot dupes up here is hilarious.

Completely idiotic and moronic, but hilarious just the same.

What a bunch o' whiney fuckin' dipshits.

Yep, liberals are most definitely suffering from a mental disorder, as fully proven in this thread, no doubt about it.

nice try liar.

no one said we don't need government, and no one said the private sector took care of the situation

that is two lies in one post

ha!!!!!!

i guess NYC realized he did in fact lie and ran away

nycarb is a coward

I answered your post you fat fuck. That you're pretending you didn't read it is just more indication of your character.

[

Where are you getting your information about Mercury One?

No answer. Of course. Because Foxfyre isn't 'getting' any information about Mercury One,

because no one knows where Mercury's money goes. Well, except the people running it of course.

I don't agree with some of Glenn Beck's politics, but this is very generous what he is doing.

Convoy of hope: Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers | Twitchy

When people unnecessarily shine a spotlight on themselves as they're doing some kind of charitable work, I'm always suspicious of their true motives, regardless of who they are.

I agree with you when people do that but, that is not what Beck is doing.
He tweeted that Mercury One needed donations.
He tweeted that he was having trouble getting semi trucks.
He got both things very quickly.
When he got there he showed the devastation and the rest of the people who are there helping. He talked about how the local Home Depot store was helping.
He did have a caravan of vehicles. 4 SUV's and two semi trucks.
Not once did he say anything about himself.

So show us how he shined a spotlight on himself.

I don't agree with some of Glenn Beck's politics, but this is very generous what he is doing.

Convoy of hope: Glenn Beck arrives in Okla. with two truckloads of food, water and diapers | Twitchy

When people unnecessarily shine a spotlight on themselves as they're doing some kind of charitable work, I'm always suspicious of their true motives, regardless of who they are.

What is more important? Motives? Or good works?

Can the act itself truly be classified as a good work if the motives are self-serving? I suppose the answer to that question would depend on whether the person performing the deed actually saves or helps someone who otherwise would not have been helped.

However, it's actually more likely that Beck might just get in the way of the relief efforts of local people and professionally trained personnel as he looks for his moment to bask in the glory of his philanthropy with a camera and a microphone at hand to capture him in the spotlight for posterity (and later airing on his show, of course). Then, of course, there's the issue of unnecessary outsiders (including the press) taking up valuable resources (like hotel/motel rooms) that could and would otherwise be available for rescue personnel and victims to use, probably in shifts.

Forum List

Back