Global Warming. Kiss Your Ass Goodbye.

The ice was probably only a 1000m thick in Illinois during the last glacial maximum. :)

FIrst off: 1000m is about 3000ft so more than half a mile. But more importantly it is estimated that in the Erie basin during the Wisconsinin advance (the most recent advance) the ice was a mile thick.

I wouldn't have much problem with it being less than a mile thick near Chicago but it was close enough. And considering I wasn't really talking about technical details at that point it's nice to know you still focus on technical details.

Now if only you could apply them to climate and geography.

FIrst off: 1000m is about 3000ft so more than half a mile. But more importantly it is estimated that in the Erie basin during the Wisconsinin advance (the most recent advance) the ice was a mile thick.

I wouldn't have much problem with it being less than a mile thick near Chicago but it was close enough. And considering I wasn't really talking about technical details at that point it's nice to know you still focus on technical details.

Now if only you could apply them to climate and geography.
I do.
  1. Every IPCC model calculates increasing water vapor.
  2. The fundamental scientific principles of evaporative cooling, cloud formation and precipitation all increase with temperature.
  3. Landmass distribution is not changing, therefore, weather patterns will not materially change.
  4. A warmer planet is a wetter planet. A wetter planet is a greener planet.

You don't understand these energy companies.

I have a good friend that is an executive for Duke Energy, one of the largest utility companies in the world.

Duke is putting in all these stupid worthless solar farms. My friend is a real Engineer and he knows as well as I do that solar is shitty technology so I asked him why would Duke do such a stupid thing.

Solar is shitty technology? And your "real engineer" friend told you that?

I dunno...the solar panels on my home have provided power for me for years. Years without paying an electric bill doesn't seem "shitty" to me.

Perhaps you LIKE paying high electric bills?

2. The filthy ass US Federal government gives tax breaks and subsides for building the stupid things.

THey also give subsidies to petroleum companies as well. But I'm sure you are OK with that.

Diffused solar energy cannot be concentrated enough to supply any significant energy needs.

LOL. Reality says differently.

We need the solar energy that was already concentrated in fossil fuels. Or else nuclear.

I can see a role for nuclear. It's scalable and would easily fill all our needs and it's not a carbon source (except for mining and processing the fuels)

If the stupid environmental wackos hadn't shut down the FFTF test bed at Hanford

There was another IFR or Na cooled reactor testbed in Idaho as well. We'll ultimately come back to more inherently safe nuclear technologies. NuScale has an interesting modular system they are working on as well.

we could be well on our way to developing fusion power.

LOL. They have been working on this for many, many decades. As the saying goes "The technology of the future! And always will be."

I HOPE fusion takes off. It would be really neat. But it won't be happening soon.

I do.
  1. Every IPCC model calculates increasing water vapor.
  2. The fundamental scientific principles of evaporative cooling, cloud formation and precipitation all increase with temperature.
  3. Landmass distribution is not changing, therefore, weather patterns will not materially change.
  4. A warmer planet is a wetter planet. A wetter planet is a greener planet.

Whatever. Yeah, yeah. OK. Sure. Fine.

Let me know when you've learned a bit more about climate and geography.

I started a thread about a climate hero who actually set himself on fire to bring attention to human caused global warming. But I think we need to get directly to the point. Human caused global warming is a reality. And you are all doomed. For the most part, the media won't tell you about it. Which is run by the wealthy. They dictate your lives in every way. And they have decided not only that you will die, but how you will die. That being with as much ignorance as possible. Not only have they decided that you must die, but no doubt for many they view it as a necessary thing. The only thing any of you will get out of the issue is lip service. Not real action.

Even on a couple different television shows they showed on PBS on the issue, they brought up often enough a feedback loop in global warming. They spoke fairly often how one thing will reinforce another thing. But I don't remember them ever saying what a a feedback loop would actually mean. It means that the warmer things get, the FASTER it will get even warmer. They also seem to like to speak often on TV about what the ocean levels will be in the year 2100. But it is unlikely any of you will see the year 2050.

Your time is short. How short exactly is hard to say. I would give it 20 to 30 years. The reason why is mainly methane. It is around 86 times more potent of a greenhouse gas than CO2. Bill Nye did a show about it called Global meltdown. Regardless of how you may feel about Bill Nye, in part of the show he talked to an actual scientist who had been studying the problem for about 15 years. Though he was a tenured professor at some university, he decided to give up his tenured professorship and start preparing for doomsday. And he said the worst culprit is methane. Like CO2, it is ever increasing. I will show you a graph of it. Astonishingly, despite things like thawing tundra, it is said that human activities are responsible for around 60% of it.

View attachment 651093

Or if you don't like that one, I have another.
View attachment 651094

One of the things that makes this so bad is that not in the history of the Earth have we ever been in this position. It the past of course it has been far warmer. But in more recent history it has been getting cooler. When things are cooler, of course more methane will have a chance to accumulate. Much gets buried underground of course. But not all of it. And when things start getting warmer faster as it is, that methane will have the ability to escape quickly. I will show you a graph of the Earths temperature to show what I am talking about.

View attachment 651095

Now for all those deniers out there, I will unload on you all of the human caused glob all warming graphs that I have. Feel free to deny away.

View attachment 651097
View attachment 651098

View attachment 651099

View attachment 651100

View attachment 651101

View attachment 651102

View attachment 651103

View attachment 651104

View attachment 651105

Millions of years ago Antarctica was a continent with life on it and no ice because of global warming.

300 million years ago the ozone layer diminished and caused global warming that caused a mass extinction.

Earth has had world wide fires, world wide floods, world wide ice ages, a total reversal of the poles, tectonic activity so great it broke apart land masses, and a whole lot more. Millions and billions of years before man.

Earth is not static, it's in a constant state of chaos. All matter is a constant state of self destruction and non linear pathing.

Global warming is real, and it's been happening on and off for several billion years. Earth has survived worse than us. It was here before us and it will be here after us, anything less than the sun going super nova or a black hole opening next to earth won't even dent the earth.

Again, that's not the only driver of climate. Yes it has caused climates to change but SURELY you know that continental movement is EXTREMELY slow (mm/year).

I'm not sure why you think this is an important point to raise. Yes it's a forcing, no, it isn't the only one. And, yes, climate CAN AND HAS changed even when continental masses remained essentially unchanged.
so you agree the oceans control the climate on the land masses?

so you agree the oceans control the climate on the land masses?
I don't believe it does as much as the distribution and topography of the landmasses and how landmasses affect the circulation of the oceans especially in the polar regions.

I also support nuclear power. But you can hold the applause.
No. I think I will applaud you for that. :eusa_clap:

I'd much rather rely upon nuclear than wind and solar to base load the electrical grid.

where's the globe warming other than natural seasonal changes?
The high latitude regions mainly but that's normal for an interglacial cycle.

1654266107468.png

Why do you always look for simplification? Why does one thing always have to be "in control"? The climate is a complex system that is affected by lots of different factors.
Exactly, which is why the obsession with CO2 makes little sense. The geologic record is littered with examples of warming and cooling trends that were not driven by CO2 or orbital forcing.

Forum List

Back