"God is Love"

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
In a conversation with my Sister recently, she brought up the specious old trope that "God is Love."

"He is not a MAN," she assured me, "but rather the metaphysical personification of Christian love."

I have been hearing this shit for eons, and it is nonsense.

Yes, it is true that "God" is not a man. He does not have a cock & balls, and the use of masculine pronouns is merely a perpetuation of male bullshit [so the solution is NOT to twerk the ears with female pronouns, i.e., contrary bullshit].

"God" is not a metaphysical "presence" that can be described with such nonsensical metaphors. God is a PERSONAGE. Did not JC encourage us to pray to The Father? Do we not address prayers ALL DAY LONG to a personage WHO can hear, evaluate, decide, etc.? When we ask God for forgiveness are we not addressing a personage? Would we praise a metaphysical presence? How is that different from praising AIR for giving us life? What would be the point?

"God is Love" is a slogan for someone who is basically an atheist, but enjoys the trappings of religiosity.

I ain't buying it. I didn't buy it in High School and I don't buy it now. It is bullshit.

In a conversation with my Sister recently, she brought up the specious old trope that "God is Love."

"He is not a MAN," she assured me, "but rather the metaphysical personification of Christian love."

Yes, it is true that "God" is not a man. He does not have a cock & balls, and the use of masculine pronouns is merely a perpetuation of male bullshit [so the solution is NOT to twerk the ears with female pronouns, i.e., contrary bullshit].

"God" is not a metaphysical "presence" that can be described with such nonsensical metaphors. God is a PERSONAGE. Did not JC encourage us to pray to The Father? Do we not address prayers ALL DAY LONG to a personage WHO can hear, evaluate, decide, etc.? When we ask God for forgiveness are we not addressing a personage? Would we praise a metaphysical presence? How is that different from praising AIR for giving us life? What would be the point?

"God is Love" is a slogan for someone who is basically an atheist, but enjoys the trappings of religiosity.

I ain't buying it. I didn't buy it in High School and I don't buy it now. It is bullshit.
But due to your fear of god and his admonishment to refrain from judgement of your fellow beings you can respect others belief in said "bullshit", right?

Are you god personified?

But due to your fear of god and his admonishment to refrain from judgement of your fellow beings you can respect others belief in said "bullshit", right?

Are you god personified?

Do you fear the Yeti?

Are you god personified?

Do you fear the Yeti?
No, why do you ask?

Are you god personified?

Do you fear the Yeti?
No, why do you ask?

Well because you said "due to your fear of god", well, I don't fear any god or God or however you want to write it, because I don't believe in a God or god. Why would I fear something that doesn't exist.

Why would I fear the Yeti? What would I fear God?

Are you god personified?

Do you fear the Yeti?
No, why do you ask?

Well because you said "due to your fear of god", well, I don't fear any god or God or however you want to write it, because I don't believe in a God or god. Why would I fear something that doesn't exist.

My use of the quote function makes whom I'm addressing readily apparent. It wasn't you so please take no offense, none was intended.

Are you god personified?

Do you fear the Yeti?
No, why do you ask?

My use of the quote function makes whom I'm addressing readily apparent. It wasn't you so please take no offense, none was intended.

A) You replied to me
B) Why would you think I'm offended?
C) You could reply to what I wrote.

There is no ‘god’ as perceived by theists.

There is a ‘god’ as created by man – an idea, a philosophy, a component of religious doctrine where religion is also a creation of man.

But there is no extraterrestrial omnipotent deity that hears prayers, intercedes on the behalf of mortals, and issues edicts of religious dogma which must be obeyed lest transgressors are consigned to eternal damnation – that ‘god’ in fact does not exist.

As for "god is Love" – the phrase has nothing to do with those free from religion and faith.

OK. I hear you aren't buying that God is love. Do you believe in God? I ask because it sounds like your post appears to be about dissing people who see God as love as well as God and His love. Is this about your sister, a hang up over PC pronouns, metaphors, or just that you aren't quite up to praising a God, any God ? Seriously, if someone finds comfort, hope and a good foundation for conducting their lives from Jesus Christ's teachings, why are you picking nit over whether God the Father a PERSONAGE, a MALE WITH GENITALS or whatever?

What would be YOUR point?

God is literally the Father of your spirit. God is an exalted man. In the pure Adamic language, His name means, 'Man of Holiness'.

Moses 6:57
57 Wherefore teach it unto your children, that all men, everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence; for, in the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name, and the name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge, who shall come in the meridian of time.

Hebrews 12:9
9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?

Acts 17:29
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

God is known as our Father in Heaven. We were created in his very likeness and image:

Genesis 1:26-27
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

This just as Adam created his son Seth in his own image and likeness:

Genesis 5:3
3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

Jesus, who came to this earth in the likeness and image of a man has resurrected with his immortal body to never die again.

Revelation 1:18
18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Jesus is not just in the likeness and image of his Father but he is in the express image and likeness of his Father:

Hebrews 1:1-3
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

For this reason Jesus taught:

John 14:7-9
7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?

God is an exalted man. He is your literal Father in Heaven. He loves you and only wants the best for you. If the veil were rent today, you would see him as he is, a glorified man, the Man of Holiness.

Doctrine and Covenants 130:22
22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Because the Father already had a resurrected body that could never die, He was not able to perform the atonement Himself. He needed to rely upon His Firstborn in the spirit to come down and take upon him a body that could die to fulfill the atonement. He has provided us a way to become like Him and have eternal life. No greater gift can be bestowed upon man than the gift of eternal life.

Matthew 4:17
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mormon 9:27
27 O then despise not, and wonder not, but hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for what things soever ye shall stand in need. Doubt not, but be believing, and begin as in times of old, and come unto the Lord with all your heart, and work out your own salvation with fear and trembling before him.

The ancients in Palastine, the Levant, and around the Mediterranean had gods who defeated other gods in battle, and made creation and humankind from the corpses of the losers. People were slaves to their gods. They had no value or dignity.

The Hebrews, on the other hand, had one God who made man with dignity, from the seed of a woman. The Pinnacle of His creation is made in His image.

It was revolutionary, this God of love. No wonder the power of it for the next thousands of years.

To discuss a term, first one must define it.

The English language does a piss poor job in defining love.

The Greeks did a much better job by breaking it down into 5 or 6 terms, as they distinguished between such types of love as between a man and a woman or between a child and their father, etc.

I believe the Greek term used for the God kind of love is agape.

Any idea what how this type of love is defined? It is defined as a Christian love, especially as distinct from erotic love or emotional affection

Christ used the example of the Good Samaritan. Here we have a Jew and Samaritan who are not only strangers, they are natural enemies due to their nationalities. Also note that the two in the parable never talked, so there was no chance to form an emotional bond of any type.

No, the Samaritan helped the man just because he was made in the image of God. That is the example Christ gave us and that is the example he lived.

Last edited:
So I presume the crux is, if God is a God of love, why the suffering?

I look at it this way. To have a loving relationship, one must have the option to love the other back. Without this free will, there is no love. One merely becomes an extension of the others desires. This opens one up to hurt, however, assuming the other rejects your love for whatever reason. However, to be a God of love, this God be moved to operate this way.

And so it goes, if we love others, we open ourselves to pain of various forms. This happens when one party either rejects the other, or we lose them in some way. The odd part is, without it, our lives literally mean nothing.

Scientifically, love does not really exist other than a chain of complex chemical reactions in the brain. You can't measure it, can see it, let alone define it adequately. For me, love is the connection between the material world and the immaterial world.

god is a collectivist dictator that required the heinous murder of children
allah is a heinous dictator that favors wars of man

logic and reason, accompanied by the inborn empathy that's innate to the human animal ....are far Superior to brainwashing.

There is no ‘god’ as perceived by theists.

There is a ‘god’ as created by man – an idea, a philosophy, a component of religious doctrine where religion is also a creation of man.

But there is no extraterrestrial omnipotent deity that hears prayers, intercedes on the behalf of mortals, and issues edicts of religious dogma which must be obeyed lest transgressors are consigned to eternal damnation – that ‘god’ in fact does not exist.

As for "god is Love" – the phrase has nothing to do with those free from religion and faith.
I find it highly likely that you're not a Real Estate Agent, otherwise you'd likely walk into every house and state that there was no builder, due to the fact that you had never met them.

logic and reason, accompanied by the inborn empathy that's innate to the human animal ....are far Superior to brainwashing.

Dictator? He made us dingleberry. By definition, we belong to him, but he has given us the power to reject him, which you have chosen.

Why not thank him?

Dictators don't give us such choices.

Dictator? He made us dingleberry. By definition, we belong to him, but he has given us the power to reject him, which you have chosen.

Why not thank him?

Dictators don't give us such choices.
I don't believe in obvious fairytales like a manchild, dufus

Forum List

Back