Group to fly Confederate flag; NAACP opposes

I guess it depends on how you define treated. If treated is limited to having food and shelter then your argument is valid in regards to white trash.
However if treatment is expanded to include human dignity and human rights.....it's not even close

Food and shelter would not be enough. You don't get it do you? As disgusting as slavery was one must look at reality.

Why would you go to auctions buy the best "stallions" for your enterprise and mistreat them? It didn't happen.

Look in no way am I defending slavery but I just want to look at the truth of history.

The most productive plantation owners would bid against each other to try to get the best black off the ship.

Paying great amounts of money. Are you going to try to tell me defying all logic that the plantation owner then took home "his mercedez benz" and proceeded to mistreat it?

Beat it? Gave it scraps?

By the way have you ever been in a slave quarter? I have. I take historical tours wherever I have travelled so I'm just curious, have you ever been in one?

Or on a plantation?

You are fuking crazy. Next up; Hitler wasn't so bad to the Jews. Hell, he gave them a bed and a little food. Right?? Crazy person?

Oh piss off little gnat.

Everything in perspective in historical truth.

Ok how do you feel about the first slaves? The little white children sent to the Americas?

Or all the Irish that Cromwell gave to the colonies?

How do you feel about them?

A Confederate heritage group confirmed Tuesday that it plans to fly a 10-by-15-foot Confederate flag along Interstate 95 just south of Richmond.

The flag will fly on a 50-foot pole, and will be visible from the northbound lane, said Susan Hathaway, founder of Virginia Flaggers, the group behind the flag. It’s tentatively scheduled to go up Sept. 28.

“Basically, the flag is being erected as a memor ial to the memory and the honor of the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed, bled and died to defend Virginia from invasion,” she said.

The state’s chapter of the NAACP is vocally opposing the move.
Confederate flag will fly along I-95 - Richmond Times-Dispatch: City Of Richmond
Of course they do.
But... so what?
Do they expect someone, like the state, to stop them?

Having the right to free speech means that, sometimes, people are going to say things you don't like. Put your big girl panties on and get over it.

I completely agree with you, Shooter.

If people want to announce their affection for the treasonous behavior of CSA, that is their right as citizens of the REPUBLIC of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Food and shelter would not be enough. You don't get it do you? As disgusting as slavery was one must look at reality.

Why would you go to auctions buy the best "stallions" for your enterprise and mistreat them? It didn't happen.

Look in no way am I defending slavery but I just want to look at the truth of history.

The most productive plantation owners would bid against each other to try to get the best black off the ship.

Paying great amounts of money. Are you going to try to tell me defying all logic that the plantation owner then took home "his mercedez benz" and proceeded to mistreat it?

Beat it? Gave it scraps?

By the way have you ever been in a slave quarter? I have. I take historical tours wherever I have travelled so I'm just curious, have you ever been in one?

Or on a plantation?

Again I think we differ on the words treatment and mistreatment

As a worker a master wants his slave to be functional. Food, shelter are provided. A slave master is not going to beat a slave to a point where he can no longer work. A slave is treated well to ensure he works

But what about his treatment as a human being? The master can demand sex from a slaves 12 year old daughter. Is that good treatment? A master can break up a family and sell to the highest bidder.

What about human dignity? The right to benefit from your own work. White trash had that, slaves didn't. The right to an education, to make yourself better, to raise your status in life? To make your own decisions

Yes, I have seen slave quarters from both colonial times and the Civil War

We differ.

White trash as you put it could not afford the slaves. Mainly the wealthy whites and blacks could. And yes, blacks could and did. As did First Nations.

Reality check.

Now to today's slavery. I work on it daily. When I am not posting here. I have been a seriously staunch supporter of Afghan women for close to two decades.

I detest slavery with a passion or I would not be so involved in attempting to rid this planet of it to this day.

You can actually buy a slave today. It's horrid.

If a White Trash sharecropper was lazy and shiftless, he went hungry. If a slave was lazy and shiftless, he was beaten

I think this whole argument is ridiculous. White trash in the south did not have good living conditions....but they had alternatives

A slave didnt

Beat it? Gave it scraps?

Or on a plantation?

You are fuking crazy. Next up; Hitler wasn't so bad to the Jews. Hell, he gave them a bed and a little food. Right?? Crazy person?

Oh piss off little gnat.

Ok how do you feel about the first slaves? The little white children sent to the Americas?

Slaves or indentured servants?

How long did their condition of slavery last once they got to America?

Oh piss off little gnat.

Slaves or indentured servants?

How long did their condition of slavery last once they got to America?

The OLD NORTH

In 1790, the first U.S. census counted 13,059 free blacks in New England, with another 13,975 in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Strictly speaking, none of them was "free," for their lives were proscribed politically, economically, and socially. While white indentured servants often became respected members of their communities after their indentures ended, free blacks in the North rarely had the opportunity to rise above the level of common laborers and washerwomen, and as early as 1760 they had formed ghettoes in the grimy alleys and waterfront districts of Boston and other Northern towns.

In colonial times, Northern freemen, like slaves, were required to carry passes when traveling in some places, and they were forbidden to own property in others. Although taxed in New England, they could not vote there in early colonial times, though they could in the plantation colonies.[2] Free blacks were required to work on roads a certain number of days a year in Massachusetts, at the discretion of the local selectmen. They could only use ferries under certain conditions in New England. In South Kingstown, Rhode Island, they could not own horses or sheep. In Boston, they could not carry a cane unless they were unable to walk without one.

As far back as 1717, citizens of New London, Connecticut, in a town meeting voted their objection to free blacks living in the town or owning land anywhere in the colony. That year, the colonial assembly passed a law in accordance with this sentiment, prohibiting free blacks or mulattoes from residing in any town in the colony. It also forbid them to buy land or go into business without the consent of the town. The provisions were retroactive, so that if any black person had managed to buy land, the deed was rendered void, and a black resident of a town, however long he had been there, was now subject to prosecution at the discretion of the selectmen. Massachusetts in 1788 prescribed flogging for non-resident blacks who stayed more than two months. Less than four months after its Congressmen voted against the restrictions on black settlement in the Missouri Compromise, Massachusetts set up a legislative committee to investigate such legislation for its own sake. From 1813 to 1852, Pennsylvania was constantly debating exclusion, under pressure of petitions from the counties along the Mason-Dixon Line.

Too bad people that fly that flag cannot be shot for treason. The South lost and it will never ever rise again thankfully. What that flag stands for is slavery and the lifestyle it afforded those that believed in it.

Why don't you give it a shot asshole?

I'll give you first shot

-Geaux

I question the motives of the Virginia Flaggers

They claim to be a confederate heritage group but I suspect they are just trying to piss people off who are offended by the Confederate Battle Flag. If they truly respect the heritage of the Confederacy. THIS is the flag that flew over Richmond

1st_confederate+flag.gif

I completely agree with you, Shooter.

If people want to announce their affection for the treasonous behavior of CSA, that is their right as citizens of the REPUBLIC of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

And it's your right to be a complete idiot.

Are you disputing it wasn't? If so wheres your proof?

You're the one who made the claim that it was. Now provide the proof or shut the fuck up.

There are indeed many misconceptions about the Souths treatment of slaves. Yes, there was abuse, but just as many cases of kindness.

-Geaux

The Rising Seed: Slave Conditions in the South

Slave Narratives

My favorite depictions of Chattel slavery comes directly from the slaves themselves and can be found in the Slave Narratives- the cumulative result of two years of in depth interviews surveying over 2,000 former slaves by the Works Project Administration under FDR. In the book Time on the Cross, noble prize winning scientist Robert Fogel demonstrates that nowhere in the Western Hemisphere were slaves better treated and cared for than in the South. After studying the Slave Narratives Fogel concluded that 60 to 80 percent of all respondents had only positive things to say about their masters and their life during slave days.

Written by white people. Wasn't teaching blacks to read and write illegal in many areas?

You're the one who made the claim that it was. Now provide the proof or shut the fuck up.

There are indeed many misconceptions about the Souths treatment of slaves. Yes, there was abuse, but just as many cases of kindness.

-Geaux

Slave Narratives

My favorite depictions of Chattel slavery comes directly from the slaves themselves and can be found in the Slave Narratives- the cumulative result of two years of in depth interviews surveying over 2,000 former slaves by the Works Project Administration under FDR. In the book Time on the Cross, noble prize winning scientist Robert Fogel demonstrates that nowhere in the Western Hemisphere were slaves better treated and cared for than in the South. After studying the Slave Narratives Fogel concluded that 60 to 80 percent of all respondents had only positive things to say about their masters and their life during slave days.

Written by white people. Wasn't teaching blacks to read and write illegal in many areas?

"Nowhere in the Western Hemisphere were slaves treated better than in the South"

Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy ......doesn't it?

I'm not the one claiming that cutting off the feet of slaves was a common practice.

Why would anyone cut off the feet off of their slave? It makes no sense whatsoever.

"Stumpy" would not be beneficial to a slave owner would he?

1. The act provokes a fear response in the other slaves. (most valuable reason to a slave owner)

2. it severely limits the slaves ability to run again.

3. it psychologically defeats the slave that was mutilated.

4. The slave can still do other tasks and provides a reminder to the other slaves what will happen if they try to run.

Too bad people that fly that flag cannot be shot for treason. The South lost and it will never ever rise again thankfully. What that flag stands for is slavery and the lifestyle it afforded those that believed in it.

I'll give you first shot

-Geaux

You definitely would not want to do that. My first shot would ensure it was the last shot.

-Geaux

Slave Narratives

"Nowhere in the Western Hemisphere were slaves treated better than in the South"

Those slaves must have just been plumb ungrateful about the great treatment they got. That has got to be the only reason they joined the Yankees in mass and decisively effected their emancipation. Most slave owners were stunned when that happened. They had been shoveling that line of BS for so long they actually believed it themselves.

I'll give you first shot

-Geaux

You definitely would not want to do that. My first shot would ensure it was the last shot.

I'm sure

-Geaux

Why would anyone cut off the feet off of their slave? It makes no sense whatsoever.

1. The act provokes a fear response in the other slaves. (most valuable reason to a slave owner)

4. The slave can still do other tasks and provides a reminder to the other slaves what will happen if they try to run.

The slave is useless for the reason he was purchased: planting, harvesting and processing cotton. His economic value decreases to a small fraction of what it was. Any other task he does has to be done sitting down. That makes him quite useless. How many tasks on a farm can be done sitting?

Those slaves must have just been plumb ungrateful about the great treatment they got. That has got to be the only reason they joined the Yankees in mass and decisively effected their emancipation. Most slave owners were stunned when that happened. They had been shoveling that line of BS for so long they actually believed it themselves.

Many slaves served in the Confederate Army, and they often had to be pressed into service in the Yankee carpetbagger army.

I'll give you first shot

-Geaux

I'm almost certain you don't own a gun and have never used one.

You still haven't provided any hard evidence that slave owners often cut the feet of their property off.

Conclusion: you're full of shit.

Forum List

Back