Group to fly Confederate flag; NAACP opposes

Why would anyone cut off the feet off of their slave? It makes no sense whatsoever.

"Stumpy" would not be beneficial to a slave owner would he?

1. The act provokes a fear response in the other slaves. (most valuable reason to a slave owner)

2. it severely limits the slaves ability to run again.

3. it psychologically defeats the slave that was mutilated.

4. The slave can still do other tasks and provides a reminder to the other slaves what will happen if they try to run.

The slave is useless for the reason he was purchased: planting, harvesting and processing cotton. His economic value decreases to a small fraction of what it was. Any other task he does has to be done sitting down. That makes him quite useless. How many tasks on a farm can be done sitting?

Its pretty evident you dont get the "big picture" point of why I slave owner would do this. Lets consider this. Would you be willing to loose 1 less slave able to do labor that required him/her being able to stand or would you prefer constantly living in fear of revolt and wasting time and money chasing down other slaves that decide to run for it as well? Do you understand the concept of making an example?

"Nowhere in the Western Hemisphere were slaves treated better than in the South"

Makes ya feel all warm and fuzzy ......doesn't it?

Those slaves must have just been plumb ungrateful about the great treatment they got. That has got to be the only reason they joined the Yankees in mass and decisively effected their emancipation. Most slave owners were stunned when that happened. They had been shoveling that line of BS for so long they actually believed it themselves.

Many slaves served in the Confederate Army, and they often had to be pressed into service in the Yankee carpetbagger army.

That would explain pretty well why the vast majority of Blacks that fought in the war were Yankee soldiers and people are actually shocked to discover there were a few Blacks that fought for the Confederate. That was a pretty lame attempt at trying to make a point. LOL So the Yankees forced the slaves to fight for their freedom. Those most have been some pretty motivated troops if they were forced. Are you really that clueless or are you just trying to save face?

Why would anyone cut off the feet off of their slave? It makes no sense whatsoever.

"Stumpy" would not be beneficial to a slave owner would he?

1. The act provokes a fear response in the other slaves. (most valuable reason to a slave owner)

4. The slave can still do other tasks and provides a reminder to the other slaves what will happen if they try to run.

You still haven't provided any hard evidence that slave owners often cut the feet of their property off.

Conclusion: you're full of shit.

And you still haven't provided evidence they didn't?

There are indeed many misconceptions about the Souths treatment of slaves. Yes, there was abuse, but just as many cases of kindness.

-Geaux

The Rising Seed: Slave Conditions in the South

Slave Narratives

My favorite depictions of Chattel slavery comes directly from the slaves themselves and can be found in the Slave Narratives- the cumulative result of two years of in depth interviews surveying over 2,000 former slaves by the Works Project Administration under FDR. In the book Time on the Cross, noble prize winning scientist Robert Fogel demonstrates that nowhere in the Western Hemisphere were slaves better treated and cared for than in the South. After studying the Slave Narratives Fogel concluded that 60 to 80 percent of all respondents had only positive things to say about their masters and their life during slave days.

Written by white people. Wasn't teaching blacks to read and write illegal in many areas?

"Nowhere in the Western Hemisphere were slaves treated better than in the South"

It comes as no surprise that conservatives attempt to mitigate the crime of slavery.

Those slaves must have just been plumb ungrateful about the great treatment they got. That has got to be the only reason they joined the Yankees in mass and decisively effected their emancipation. Most slave owners were stunned when that happened. They had been shoveling that line of BS for so long they actually believed it themselves.

Many slaves served in the Confederate Army, and they often had to be pressed into service in the Yankee carpetbagger army.

They performed menial labor for the Confederaes. They were not trusted with guns

Written by white people. Wasn't teaching blacks to read and write illegal in many areas?

It comes as no surprise that conservatives attempt to mitigate the crime of slavery.
High time at the ole plantation

Look at the bright side, you were better off than you were in the jungle and you could have been a slave in Brazil

Oh and my favorite.....White people were slaves too

Oh and my favorite.....White people were slaves too

Well they are, just the way Adolf Obama wants it.

Slave to revenue so he can pander to the weak and lazy only because it equates to votes.

Slavery it is

-Geaux

I question the motives of the Virginia Flaggers

They claim to be a confederate heritage group but I suspect they are just trying to piss people off who are offended by the Confederate Battle Flag. If they truly respect the heritage of the Confederacy. THIS is the flag that flew over Richmond

1st_confederate+flag.gif

That is the first flag that flew. The Confederates had three different flags. If you look at my previous post they are pictured. The flag you have pictured is the original Stars and Bars. The Confederates decided it looked to much like the US flag and adopted the second flag and added the stars for the other states that had seceded. When the second flag was flown on the battlefield it looked too much like a white flag intended to request a parlay. The third flag added a red vertical stripe to correct this.

The flags are referred to in order as the Stars and Bars, the Stainless banner and finally the blood stained banner.

That concludes the history lesson on the flags of the Confederate States.

I would agree if they wanted to honor the government of the South they would fly one of the official flags. It appears they are not trying to honor the government but the heritage of the South.

A Confederate heritage group confirmed Tuesday that it plans to fly a 10-by-15-foot Confederate flag along Interstate 95 just south of Richmond.

The flag will fly on a 50-foot pole, and will be visible from the northbound lane, said Susan Hathaway, founder of Virginia Flaggers, the group behind the flag. It’s tentatively scheduled to go up Sept. 28.

“Basically, the flag is being erected as a memor ial to the memory and the honor of the Confederate soldiers who sacrificed, bled and died to defend Virginia from invasion,” she said.

The state’s chapter of the NAACP is vocally opposing the move.
Confederate flag will fly along I-95 - Richmond Times-Dispatch: City Of Richmond
Of course they do.
But... so what?
Do they expect someone, like the state, to stop them?

Having the right to free speech means that, sometimes, people are going to say things you don't like. Put your big girl panties on and get over it.

I'm not a big fan of the Confederacy, I'm also not a big fan for what that flag symbolized before, during, and after the Civil rights Era; I don't blame the NAACP for protesting it, that's their First Amendment right to do so as is flying that flag on private property. I live somewhat close to the Richmond area and I don't give a shit if they fly that flag or not. I heard on the radio today, that the Confederate flag as we know it today was actually not the flag of the Confederacy, but the flag used in Tennessee. That flag was used and is used by many hate groups, that's why some if not many Black people have an aversion to that flag.
I DO think that some people do honor that flag for reason of "heritage and not hate", in some ways it just morphed into popular culture with some groups of people, just like say the "urban style" has morphed with some groups of people, and in my opinion the true meaning of it is kind of superficial with no true feeling towards it.
I'm part Black, my wife is White, and when we went to visit my in laws in the mountains of North Georgia near Chattanooga Tennessee, I met a nephew I haven't met before, we hit it off right away and he wanted to take the dogs to the creek when I first got there. If you looked at his facebook picture with a rebel flag behind it, the Mossy Oak stickers on his truck, and the Rebel Flag license plate, one would come to a different conclusion or have a different perception of him. He is in fact a fine young man who doesn't seem to harbor any racial animus. It's just part of their "Redneck culture" up there, just like a few decades back (scary!), a lot of urban youths were wearing "X's" on their caps and tee shirts, as part of their "Urban culture"..

Most fly that flag for the reasons in bold.

That would explain pretty well why the vast majority of Blacks that fought in the war were Yankee soldiers and people are actually shocked to discover there were a few Blacks that fought for the Confederate. That was a pretty lame attempt at trying to make a point. LOL So the Yankees forced the slaves to fight for their freedom. Those most have been some pretty motivated troops if they were forced. Are you really that clueless or are you just trying to save face?

Wrong again, turd:

Black Confederates in the Civil War

Dr. Steiner, Chief Inspector of the United States Sanitary Commission, observed that Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson's troops in occupation of Frederick, Maryland, in 1862: "Over 3,000 Negroes must be included in this number [Confederate troops]. These were clad in all kinds of uniforms, not only in cast-off or captured United States uniforms, but in coats with Southern buttons, State buttons, etc. These were shabby, but not shabbier or seedier than those worn by white men in the rebel ranks. Most of the Negroes had arms, rifles, muskets, sabers, bowie-knives, dirks, etc.....and were manifestly an integral portion of the Southern Confederate Army."

. . . . . .

For example, let's use for example the 1,000,000 listed names in Broadfoot's Confederate roster compiled by the National Archives. Yes, there is some repeat names, but let's use that figure as an example. What percentage is 12% ? This would translate to 120,000 black Confederates and half that, 60,000. As such, the 65,000 estimate is not an unreasonable estimate. Debatable ? Yes. Refutable ? Absolutely not. Black Confederates imaginary ? Ridiculous

On the other hand, the record of blacks in the Union Army is as follows:

Black Soldiers in the Civil War

By the end of the Civil War, roughly 179,000 black men (10% of the Union Army) served as soldiers in the U.S. Army and another 19,000 served in the Navy. Nearly 40,000 black soldiers died over the course of the war—30,000 of infection or disease. Black soldiers served in artillery and infantry and performed all noncombat support functions that sustain an army, as well. Black carpenters, chaplains, cooks, guards, laborers, nurses, scouts, spies, steamboat pilots, surgeons, and teamsters also contributed to the war cause. There were nearly 80 black commissioned officers. Black women, who could not formally join the Army, nonetheless served as nurses, spies, and scouts, the most famous being Harriet Tubman (photo citation: 200-HN-PIO-1), who scouted for the 2d South Carolina Volunteers.

Note that I provided actual historical data, not just a load of horse squeeze backed up with nothing.

Last edited:

They performed menial labor for the Confederaes. They were not trusted with guns

Wrong again, moron. Refer to my other post. They were issued weapons.

You still haven't provided any hard evidence that slave owners often cut the feet of their property off.

Apparently you don't understand how the scientific method works: Those who make extraordinary claims have to prove them. The skeptics don't have to prove squat.

NAACP can kiss my ass.

Fly it

-Geaux
Burning-Confederate-Flag-91447142475.jpeg

The vanquished Confederacy can Kiss ALL TRUE PATRIOT's ASSES and that goes for the dead one's too!. I'll buy and burn as many of those traitorous symbols as I can and destroy every one of em where they can be seem smoking for miles around!

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

NAACP can kiss my ass.

Fly it

-Geaux
Burning-Confederate-Flag-91447142475.jpeg

The vanquished Confederacy can Kiss ALL TRUE PATRIOT's ASSES and that goes for the dead one's too!. I'll buy and burn as many of those traitorous symbols as I can and destroy every one of em where they can be seem smoking for miles around!

GOD BLESS THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

And we keep flying them :eusa_angel:

Go for it. No pun intended..

-Geaux

Wrong again, turd:

Black Confederates in the Civil War

Dr. Steiner, Chief Inspector of the United States Sanitary Commission, observed that Gen. "Stonewall" Jackson's troops in occupation of Frederick, Maryland, in 1862: "Over 3,000 Negroes must be included in this number [Confederate troops]. These were clad in all kinds of uniforms, not only in cast-off or captured United States uniforms, but in coats with Southern buttons, State buttons, etc. These were shabby, but not shabbier or seedier than those worn by white men in the rebel ranks. Most of the Negroes had arms, rifles, muskets, sabers, bowie-knives, dirks, etc.....and were manifestly an integral portion of the Southern Confederate Army."

. . . . . .

For example, let's use for example the 1,000,000 listed names in Broadfoot's Confederate roster compiled by the National Archives. Yes, there is some repeat names, but let's use that figure as an example. What percentage is 12% ? This would translate to 120,000 black Confederates and half that, 60,000. As such, the 65,000 estimate is not an unreasonable estimate. Debatable ? Yes. Refutable ? Absolutely not. Black Confederates imaginary ? Ridiculous

On the other hand, the record of blacks in the Union Army is as follows:

Black Soldiers in the Civil War

By the end of the Civil War, roughly 179,000 black men (10% of the Union Army) served as soldiers in the U.S. Army and another 19,000 served in the Navy. Nearly 40,000 black soldiers died over the course of the war—30,000 of infection or disease. Black soldiers served in artillery and infantry and performed all noncombat support functions that sustain an army, as well. Black carpenters, chaplains, cooks, guards, laborers, nurses, scouts, spies, steamboat pilots, surgeons, and teamsters also contributed to the war cause. There were nearly 80 black commissioned officers. Black women, who could not formally join the Army, nonetheless served as nurses, spies, and scouts, the most famous being Harriet Tubman (photo citation: 200-HN-PIO-1), who scouted for the 2d South Carolina Volunteers.

Note that I provided actual historical data, not just a load of horse squeeze backed up with nothing.

This is where the rubber meets the road. People like you go searching for opinions that support your opinion instead of the truth. Now the real truth is that there were actually fewer than 65K that were counted as "enlisted" for the south. We know it is more likely even less that fought willingly because slave owners going to war forced their slaves to come with them. It wasn't until it was too late they promised to free those that fought for the south. Another thing you seem to miss is the fact that confederate rosters were for the most part destroyed or scrubbed so the North could not find and punish those that fought for the confederacy. Now I'm supposed to believe in validity of those documents? I'm laughing at your attempts to convince someone that not only did slaves have a great life as slaves but they were forced to fight for the North. Dude for real? :lol:

Apparently you don't understand how the scientific method works: Those who make extraordinary claims have to prove them. The skeptics don't have to prove squat.

Apparently you don't understand how to use critical thinking skills. Those who make feeble claims have to prove them. So far you have only proved you only pay attention to what the KKK and Stormfront have on their approved reading list.

Wrong again, moron. Refer to my other post. They were issued weapons.
http://www.marinersmuseum.org/blogs/civilwar/?p=2873

Professor John Stauffer of Harvard has recently done research on just this subject, and estimates that there may have been a bit over 3,000 black soldiers formed on the Confederate side (Article HERE.) Now, before you get excited, keep in mind that Stauffer points out that many of these black soldiers were not accepted by the Confederate government and were not issued firearms: still more of these soldiers were coerced into joining the military, and others joined to escape miserable poverty. Professor Carol Sheriff of the College of William and Mary reinforces the notion that any blacks who fought did so somewhat involuntarily, by clarifying that some black*body-servants*may have taken up arms in the heat of battle to defend their masters and themselves, and even then they were sometimes forced to do so. (Article HERE.) She also makes the point that arming blacks or allowing them to fight in the military was illegal in the Confederacy. This makes it extremely difficult to claim that the Confederates used black troops

Last edited:

Forum List

Back