Group to fly Confederate flag; NAACP opposes

http://www.marinersmuseum.org/blogs/civilwar/?p=2873

Professor John Stauffer of Harvard has recently done research on just this subject, and estimates that there may have been a bit over 3,000 black soldiers formed on the Confederate side (Article HERE.) Now, before you get excited, keep in mind that Stauffer points out that many of these black soldiers were not accepted by the Confederate government and were not issued firearms: still more of these soldiers were coerced into joining the military, and others joined to escape miserable poverty. Professor Carol Sheriff of the College of William and Mary reinforces the notion that any blacks who fought did so somewhat involuntarily, by clarifying that some black*body-servants*may have taken up arms in the heat of battle to defend their masters and themselves, and even then they were sometimes forced to do so. (Article HERE.) She also makes the point that arming blacks or allowing them to fight in the military was illegal in the Confederacy. This makes it extremely difficult to claim that the Confederates used black troops

John Stauffer - Professor of English and African and African American Studies at Harvard University.

This guy is obviously a left-wing crank. Why should anyone accept his "study" as credible?

You have been schooled finger boy ....now STFU

Disprove that blacks were forbidden by law to be armed

Why would I prove something I never claimed?

How about he does that right after you provide evidence you are NOT being controlled by an alien from the planet Frimmerbee via sub-space signals picked up by an invisible implant in your scrotum.

How about you let your life partner fight his own battles? Since both of you want to see some evidence I want to see yours first from a credible source. Stop trying to use history rewritten to make you feel less guilty for you KKK roots.

Watch the little baby resort to personal attacks when everyone refuses to play his game of "prove me wrong."

The adults in this forum don't demand that others do their work for them. Prove your claims or shut the fuck up.

Well if you want to resort to personal attacks dont whine when I respond with one. Prove me wrong or STFU.

History gives lie to myth of black Confederate soldiers

A racist fabrication has sprung up in the last decade: that the Confederacy had "thousands" of African- American slaves "fighting" in its armies during the Civil War.

Unfortunately, even some African-American men today have gotten conned into Putting on Confederate uniforms to play "re-enactors" in an army that fought to ensure that their ancestors would remain slaves.

There are two underlying points of this claim: first, to say that slavery wasn't so bad, because after all, the slaves themselves fought to preserve the slave South; and second, that the Confederacy wasn't really fighting for slavery. Both these notions may make some of our contemporaries feel good, but neither is historically accurate.

Another lib makes a claim about the Civil War and then provides not a shred of evidence to support it. This seems to be a pattern with the Lincoln cult. Everything they know about the Civil War exists purely in their own minds.

I read that and said.....aha, now I see where finger boy is going

In surfing his racist websites, it is not enough to rewrite history about how much slaves enjoyed being slaves. Now you have to claim that they flocked to join the confederacy to protect their right to be a slave

I have no knowledge that they ever promised to free their slaves. However, it's a moot point. Where are your facts?

That would be because you are not very bright but desperately wish everyone thinks you are. Again where are your facts from a credible source that supports your theory?

What theory? You're the one who posted a theory that slave owners frequently chopped off the feet of their property. You obviously can't support it because if you had the evidence you would have posted it.

You prove me wrong with accounts from actual slaves not something a white person wrote.

You still don't get how this process works, do you, ass-crack? I'm not obligated to prove your theories wrong, just as I'm not obligated to prove big foot exists. You made a claim, and now you can't support it. Just admit you're full of shit and get over it.

They have no clue what was going on at best and at worst they are revisionist. Are you denying that confederate rosters were not destroyed? Are you sure you want to stand by that statement?

Prove they were destroyed, ass-crack.

Evidently you either cant read, you have short term memory loss or you are just plain stupid. Which one is it?. You don't define how something works for me clown. I do that. I don't waste my time trying to prove anything to slow people like you. Its beneath me. You can either you prove wrong with a credible source or shut up.

Last edited:
History gives lie to myth of black Confederate soldiers

A racist fabrication has sprung up in the last decade: that the Confederacy had "thousands" of African- American slaves "fighting" in its armies during the Civil War.

Unfortunately, even some African-American men today have gotten conned into Putting on Confederate uniforms to play "re-enactors" in an army that fought to ensure that their ancestors would remain slaves.

There are two underlying points of this claim: first, to say that slavery wasn't so bad, because after all, the slaves themselves fought to preserve the slave South; and second, that the Confederacy wasn't really fighting for slavery. Both these notions may make some of our contemporaries feel good, but neither is historically accurate.

Another lib makes a claim about the Civil War and then provides not a shred of evidence to support it. This seems to be a pattern with the Lincoln cult. Everything they know about the Civil War exists purely in their own minds.

In surfing his racist websites, it is not enough to rewrite history about how much slaves enjoyed being slaves. Now you have to claim that they flocked to join the confederacy to protect their right to be a slave

I see his and his life partners game. They are not here for the truth they just want to disrupt any discussion that may reveal how truly evil the south was in the institution of slavery.

I see his and his life partners game. They are not here for the truth they just want to disrupt any discussion that may reveal how truly evil the south was in the institution of slavery.

Facts be damned

That would be because you are not very bright but desperately wish everyone thinks you are. Again where are your facts from a credible source that supports your theory?

What theory? You're the one who posted a theory that slave owners frequently chopped off the feet of their property. You obviously can't support it because if you had the evidence you would have posted it.

You still don't get how this process works, do you, ass-crack? I'm not obligated to prove your theories wrong, just as I'm not obligated to prove big foot exists. You made a claim, and now you can't support it. Just admit you're full of shit and get over it.

They have no clue what was going on at best and at worst they are revisionist. Are you denying that confederate rosters were not destroyed? Are you sure you want to stand by that statement?

Prove they were destroyed, ass-crack.

Evidently you either cant read, you have short term memory loss or you are just plain stupid. Which one is it?. You don't define how something works for me clown.

You're right, I don't define how something works. Carl Sagen did:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - RationalWiki

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence was a phrase made popular by Carl Sagan. It is the heart of the scientific method, and a model for critical thinking, rational thought and skepticism everywhere.

Sagen was explaining how the scientific method and logical argument in general works. You obviously don't get it. Logic doesn't require me to disprove your bullshit claims. Until you provide some proof, all they are is bullshit. Whining until doomsday won't change that.

I do that.

No you don't.

I don't waste my time trying to prove anything to slow people like you. Its beneath me. You can either you prove wrong with a credible source or shut up.

In other words, all you do is spout bullshit all day long and you don't experience any inclination to support your idiocies.

Again, logic does not require me to disprove your bullshit.

Last edited:

Southerners may not have been angels, but Yankee carpet baggers weren't any better. If you believe all those Yankee carpet baggers invaded the South and raped, burned and pillaged their way to Atlanta to save the Negroes from slavery, you are truly gullible. Northerners hated Negroes even more than Southerners. Haven't you hear of the infamous "Black Codes" that Northern states impose on blacks to keep them out? Northerners wanted to limit slavery in the territories only because whites didn't want to compete with black labor.

Northern states invaded to impose their oppressive tariffs on the South and mulct it for all the money they could get out of it. They didn't give a damn about the welfare of black slaves. The Civil War was purely the result of Northern greed.

The introduction of cotton as a major cash crop in the South placed a renewed emphasis on slavery.

Although the majority of Confederates did not own slaves, most aspired to become slaveowners because it represented the surest way to acquiring wealth.

Flying the Confederate flag during Civil War re-enactments is one thing, flying it in prominently however is the equivalent to Protestants in Northern Ireland marching through Catholic areas to celebrate William of Orange's defeat of James II at the Battle of the Boyne.

Last edited:

Southerners may not have been angels, but Yankee carpet baggers weren't any better. If you believe all those Yankee carpet baggers invaded the South and raped, burned and pillaged their way to Atlanta to save the Negroes from slavery, you are truly gullible. Northerners hated Negroes even more than Southerners. Haven't you hear of the infamous "Black Codes" that Northern states impose on blacks to keep them out? Northerners wanted to limit slavery in the territories only because whites didn't want to compete with black labor.

Northern states invaded to impose their oppressive tariffs on the South and mulct it for all the money they could get out of it. They didn't give a damn about the welfare of black slaves. The Civil War was purely the result of Northern greed.

So now your excuse is "he did it too"? You are not telling me anything I didnt know except that somehow the side that fought a war that resulted in the emancipation of slaves hated Black people more than the southerners who justified and institutionalized slavery. Are you really trying to sale that? :lol:

How about you let your life partner fight his own battles? Since both of you want to see some evidence I want to see yours first from a credible source. Stop trying to use history rewritten to make you feel less guilty for you KKK roots.

Watch the little baby resort to personal attacks when everyone refuses to play his game of "prove me wrong."

The adults in this forum don't demand that others do their work for them. Prove your claims or shut the fuck up.

Well if you want to resort to personal attacks dont whine when I respond with one. Prove me wrong or STFU.

Pot, meet kettle! The best part: everyone except you realizes how jaw-droppingly STUPID your post is!

Facts be damned

The fact is that blacks did, indeed, fight for the Confederacy. There is no doubt of it. Simply saying it isn't so doesn't make it so. Everyone knew that slavery was going to end in the southern states whether the Confederates won or lost the war.

Stop pretending otherwise. Google manumission. Look at Lee's and Jackson's positions on slavery. Both were more anti-slavery than Lincoln, whose wife's family lived happily with their slaves in Kentucky well beyond the end of the Civil War.

Stop pretending you know things you don't.

The Civil War never was about slavery. Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation to gin support among abolitionists in the North for an unpopular war and with the wan hope it would cause a slave uprising in the South. Slave states in the union were, of course, not included in the Emancipation Proclamation.

It was a no lose proposition for Lincoln. It meant nothing to anyone at the time.

Yeah. If a bunch of inbred, gap-toothed, third grade educated, welfare trailer park redneck hicks want to advertise their ignorance to the world, that's their right.

The Westboro Haters has every right to embarrass themselves but ---

1097969_585775984798842_1391129339_n.jpg

So our country is so great, and so spoiled by wealth, abundance of food, comfort and entertainment distraction............that simple clothe flags are powerful enough to "offend" normal folks to the point of rage.

We are living a life that fortunate, that we are weak enough to be offended by a mere flag.

And we are supposed to believe we are on the verge of government "tyranny"????

Gimme a break from this nonsense.

Facts be damned

The fact is that blacks did, indeed, fight for the Confederacy. There is no doubt of it. Simply saying it isn't so doesn't make it so. Everyone knew that slavery was going to end in the southern states whether the Confederates won or lost the war.

Stop pretending otherwise. Google manumission. Look at Lee's and Jackson's positions on slavery. Both were more anti-slavery than Lincoln, whose wife's family lived happily with their slaves in Kentucky well beyond the end of the Civil War.

Stop pretending you know things you don't.

The Civil War never was about slavery. Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation to gin support among abolitionists in the North for an unpopular war and with the wan hope it would cause a slave uprising in the South. Slave states in the union were, of course, not included in the Emancipation Proclamation.

It was a no lose proposition for Lincoln. It meant nothing to anyone at the time.

The Civil War was always about slavery......it was the one issue that divided the nation

The biggest fear of southerners was armed blacks in their midst roaming the countryside and raping white women

Did those poor whites fight for or against slavery? Did they beg the owners of the plantations to make them slaves so they could "live better" like the black slaves? Were they allowed to vote? Were they allowed to move to a better place if they wished to?

What do you think being a tenant farmer was? Basically it was volunteering for the role of a field slave. I work the fields, you feed and house me.

Have you of the left NEVER studied any real history?

Last edited:
Did those poor whites fight for or against slavery? Did they beg the owners of the plantations to make them slaves so they could "live better" like the black slaves? Were they allowed to vote? Were they allowed to move to a better place if they wished to?

What do you think being a tenant farmer was? Basically it was volunteering for the role of a field slave. I work the fields, you feed and house me.

Have you of the left NEVER studied any real history?

They clearly know nothing about indentured slaves. In the early days of this country, most indentured slaves were white and they indentured themselves to earn passage to the new world.

Forum List

Back