Happy Independence Day!

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Amazing vocals on this great song.

But doing acappella while one guy is imitating percussion instruments does seem a bit like cheating. lol

Last edited:
Founders Online: Home
Founders Online: Thomas Jefferson to John Adams, 24 January 1814
I do not remember the conversation between us which you mention in yours of Nov. 15. on your proposition to vest in Congress the exclusive power of establishing banks. my opposition to it must have been grounded, not on taking the power from the states, but on leaving any vestige of it in existence, even in the hands of Congress; because it would only have been a change of the organ of abuse. I have ever been the enemy of banks; not of those discounting for cash; but of those foisting their own paper into circulation, and thus banishing our cash. my zeal against those institutions was so warm and open at the establishment of the bank of the US.2 that I was derided as a Maniac by the tribe of bank-mongers, who were seeking to filch from the public their swindling, and barren gains. but the errors of that day cannot be recalled. the evils they have engendered are now upon us, and the question is how we are to get out of them? shall we build an altar to the old paper money of the revolution, which ruined individuals but saved the republic, and burn on that all the bank charters present and future, and their notes with them? for these are to ruin both republic and individuals. this cannot be done. the Mania is too strong. it has siesed by it’s delusions & corruptions all the members of our governments, general, special, and individual. ...... I doubt if the present trash can hold as long. I think the 380. millions must blow all up in the course of the present year; or certainly it will be consummated by the reduplication to take place of course at the legislative meetings of the next winter. should not prudent men, who possess stock in any monied institution, either draw & hoard the cash, now while they can, or exchange it for canal stock, or such other as being bottomed on immoveable property, will remain unhurt by the crush? I have been endeavoring to persuade a friend in our legislature to try and save this state from the general ruin by timely interference. I propose to him 1. to prohibit instantly all foreign paper. 2. to give our own banks 6. months to call in all their 5. Dollar bills (the lowest we allow.) another 6. months to call in their 10.D. notes, and 6. months more to call in all below 50. Dollars. this would produce so gradual a diminution of medium as not to shock contracts already made; would leave finally bills of such size as would be called for only in transactions between merchant and merchant, and ensure a metallic circulation for those of the mass of citizens. but it will not be done. you might as well, with the sailors, whistle to the wind, as suggest precautions against having too much money. we must scud then before the gale, and try to hold fast, ourselves, by some plank of the wreck. god send us all a safe deliverance, and to yourself every other species and degree of happiness.

I'm all warm and fuzzy now. Thanks. You are a true patriot and this thread is proof for all to see.

Thanks Jim!

Happy Independence Day, everyone, even the naysayers.

Forum List

Back