Zone1 have you been baptized?

i have been baptized

• Total voters
I’ll ask a third and last time.
What’s the downside?

Religions call for the subjugation of self to an authority that cannot be directly engaged with.

All religions and the people who follow them are convinced that their way is the only way and those who don't agree or refuse to follow are always wrong

All religions claim to be the arbiters of what is moral or not what is evil or not

All religions are based on the idea that you a mere human is so flawed that you must repent because you will never live up to the ideals set forth in religious laws and if you only do what you are told will you reap divine rewards and if you don't you will receive divine retribution

All religions were invented by people and contain all the flaws and incongruities and contradictions that all people possess yet they all tell everyone that this is the only way to salvation.

Religions call for the subjugation of self to an authority that cannot be directly engaged with.

All religions and the people who follow them are convinced that their way is the only way and those who don't agree or refuse to follow are always wrong

All religions claim to be the arbiters of what is moral or not what is evil or not

All religions are based on the idea that you a mere human is so flawed that you must repent because you will never live up to the ideals set forth in religious laws and if you only do what you are told will you reap divine rewards and if you don't you will receive divine retribution

All religions were invented by people and contain all the flaws and incongruities and contradictions that all people possess yet they all tell everyone that this is the only way to salvation.
So there’s no downside to becoming a Christian.

I spent a long time in my younger life exploring religion and it offered nothing
What were you hoping/expecting religion to offer? What were you searching for?

I said it's where you start.

You have to start with the bible at the very least and the bible is a religious book compiled by a religious authority
No, the Bible is not where one starts...it's where one is ultimately led. Why did you think you needed to start with the Bible?

What were you hoping/expecting religion to offer? What were you searching for?

No, the Bible is not where one starts...it's where one is ultimately led. Why did you think you needed to start with the Bible?

If you want to explore the dominant religion that our society practice where else do you start?

With the belief that a particular god exists?

All religions
Too short sighted, but the wrong focus to begin with. Think of replacing "All religions" with "All governments" or with "All Schools" or even with "All restaurants", etc.

Then try to do this beginning a sentence with "All people..."

In the end, the entity, whether it be religion, government, or even a restaurant, become a reflection of its people.

Too short sighted, but the wrong focus to begin with. Think of replacing "All religions" with "All governments" or with "All Schools" or even with "All restaurants", etc.

Then try to do this beginning a sentence with "All people..."

In the end, the entity, whether it be religion, government, or even a restaurant, become a reflection of its people.

The similarities exist but I'll concede your point.

I certainly have not experienced all religions and my critiques are of those i have direct experience with

Why did you want o explore the dominant religion? For what were you searching?

How did you arrive at the belief God exists?

Meaning. Isn;t that what everyone searches for?

And I obviously have never arrived at that belief.

I certainly have not experienced all religions and my critiques are of those i have direct experience with
Did you study the religion, or did you study its people? Take the Catholic faith for example. Specifically, who in the clergy did you study? How many parishioners from how many parishes did you get to know? Saints, historical people of faith? What did you learn from all these Catholics? Every single one of them is different and all have a different story.

The impacts on a person of the faith is a transformation into moving towards becoming an outstanding human being. If you think it’s delusional changes nothing.
You imply a person cannot become an outstanding human being without it.

Meaning. Isn;t that what everyone searches for?

And I obviously have never arrived at that belief.
The meaning of life? I can't imagine having to search for that. Did you ever find it? From a very young age, before I could even read, I learned these:

1. To know God, to love God, to serve God...
2. The purpose of life is to learn and to have fun. Think of everything you do, everything you have ever done. You've done it to either learn or to have fun.

Take the first philosophy...To know God... As a toddler, I couldn't very well start reading the Bible. So....my first search was not for meaning, or search religions, or to search the Bible. Have you ever thought about leaving all that behind and searching for God?

Did you study the religion, or did you study its people? Take the Catholic faith for example. Specifically, who in the clergy did you study? How many parishioners from how many parishes did you get to know? Saints, historical people of faith? What did you learn from all these Catholics? Every single one of them is different and all have a different story.

I like to think it was both.

I've read the bible and i have read works of bible scholars. And right along side that I read the Tao and other Eastern philosophies as well as the classic Greek and Stoic philosophers and right along side of those i read ancient histories and anthropology, sociology and psychology and tried to reconcile them.

And Of course i have talked to clergy and parishioners of different churches.

I like to think it was both.

I've read the bible and i have read works of bible scholars. And right along side that I read the Tao and other Eastern philosophies as well as the classic Greek and Stoic philosophers and right along side of those i read ancient histories and anthropology, sociology and psychology and tried to reconcile them.

And Of course i have talked to clergy and parishioners of different churches.
And from them, what did you learn about God?

Forum List

Back