Zone1 have you been baptized?

i have been baptized

• Total voters
The meaning of life? I can't imagine having to search for that. Did you ever find it? From a very young age, before I could even read, I learned these:

1. To know God, to love God, to serve God...
2. The purpose of life is to learn and to have fun. Think of everything you do, everything you have ever done. You've done it to either learn or to have fun.

Take the first philosophy...To know God... As a toddler, I couldn't very well start reading the Bible. So....my first search was not for meaning, or search religions, or to search the Bible. Have you ever thought about leaving all that behind and searching for God?

And for those of us that were not taught that at such a young age?

you don't see that as odd that you admit you were taught something when you were so young you could not even read yet you deny that teaching was conditioning by others?

You might know a little about my life but here is the thing I don't talk about and will not elaborate on so just take it for what it is.

I was still very young when I had my "dark night of the soul" as it is called and it was a very very fine line I was walking as to whether or not I would commit suicide and it wasn't just a momentary thing it was a very long deliberation over many weeks. That is what started me looking for a reason not to end myself.

And from them, what did you learn about God?

Obviously not enough to make me choose to follow any.

I came to realize that we really don't know how we got here which is why no one really agrees on the matter. We're all just floating around on this rock in the void that is the universe trying to figure it all out.

Agnostic is derived from the word ignorant.

I was agnostic most of my life, not an attack.

The word ignorant is not an insult

But people can look the same places you look for your answers and not come to the same conclusion so they cannot be ignorant as you describe.

I came to realize that we really don't know how we got here which is why no one really agrees on the matter. We're all just floating around on this rock in the void that is the universe trying to figure it all out.
So you believe you can take a cocktail from the periodic table and create life.
You have more faith than I.

So you believe you can take a cocktail from the periodic table and create life.
You have more faith than I.

I am comfortable saying "I don't know all the answers"

Our intelligence is not unlimited even though the arrogance of humanity will certainly make many believe it is.

God gave the animals to man to do as he pleases with them, through out the bible God shows man eating and sacrificing animals.

you just ...

1700315592217.jpeg

learned how to hide behind a gun ... typical low life desert christian.

And for those of us that were not taught that at such a young age?
My dad was a great example of "to learn and to have fun". He believed children had to be taught to work, as this was the first step in teaching them how to care for themselves and (eventually) become independent. He loved sports, and he taught us sports, as well. I know from teaching that too many children today have not been taught to do chores, and however their parents are teaching them to have fun, it doesn't seem to include how to throw a ball or anything about team sports.
you don't see that as odd that you admit you were taught something when you were so young you could not even read yet you deny that teaching was conditioning by others?
So...you didn't want my parents to teach us to do chores and play sports? They weren't to teach us their philosophies? Yes, at a young age, latched on to "Know God..." To my amazement they said God didn't contact people like he once had in times of Noah, Moses, etc. I said God would just have to change His mind about that with me. They thought this very cute, and I remember getting a hug and a pat of the head. But I was determined. If God wanted me to know Him, He would simply have to do His part as well.

As a child, I sought God and I did find Him. You waited until you were an adult and have missed Him altogether. And you criticize my parents for teaching and passing down their philosophies to their children?

Teach your children well...
Feed them on your dreams
The one they pick's the one you'll know by

It is not only parental dreams children grow by...but also by those of atheist grandfathers, for example.

I was still very young when I had my "dark night of the soul" as it is called and it was a very very fine line I was walking as to whether or not I would commit suicide and it wasn't just a momentary thing it was a very long deliberation over many weeks. That is what started me looking for a reason not to end myself.
That must have been extremely tough.

I, too, was desperate, but I never considered suicide. My question, "How do I get through this?" Through prayer, I tried to get in touch with my adult self. What would she advise? And I listened...listened...and "heard" this: My teens were going to continue to be awful, and nothing could be done about that. (That was encouraging, wasn't it.) Then, "Don't you do anything in your teens that will only ruin my twenties." Advice I've taken all my life...not to do anything that will ruin the next decade--advice I gave to myself, and it is still working.

Why would you want to follow anyone you first haven't met? And what does "how we got here" have anything to do with the price of tea in China? The point is, we are here--so what's next.

Forum List

Back