How are we going to stop the liberal war on free speech and conservative voices?

From colleges to YouTube and now Diamond & Silk on Facebook.
Facebook to Diamond and Silk: Your content, brand ‘dangerous to the community’

Two conservative black women being targeted as a "danger to the community"

Seriously? Gtfo with this stupidity. They only thing they are a danger to is your oppression of conservative voices.

This shit has to be put to bed. Further segmenting our society & suppressing their voice is not the way you win a political debate.
Challenge them, argue with them, present them with an opposing view but to just outright silence them?

Just proves to me that the left are increasingly alarmed that their grasp on the media & their ability to force the conversation in a certain direction are under threat. They are clearly scared to death of free speech.
How do we stop the GOP Trifecta?

Ignorance

Lying

Smears
Pointless gibberish that has nothing to do with the topic.
Sure it does.

The GOP's ignorance - refusing to address facts.
Lying - drowning out reasonable discussion.
Smears - gives you a reason to dismiss political opponents.

If you can shunt discussion away then you have effectively undermined free speech.

Yes Virginia, it really is just that simple.

it's not controlling them, it's making them adhere to content neutral parameters, much like public universities have to.

This board isn't a part of the digital commons like facebook, twitter and youtube are. Niche boards with restrictions would still be allowed and even encouraged.

It would give those platforms the protection they need to tell the people demanding removal of opposing views to piss off.

Forcing them to be content neutral, what the hell that even means, would be controlling them. That is something I cannot abide.

If we are going to err on one side or the other, it always has to be on the side of liberty not the Govt

Having people of one particular political persuasion removed from a common platform that has taken the place of the commons in our society is not liberty.

Of course it's because people you disagree with are the ones being silenced that you are OK with it, you gutless fucking hack.

A private company should have the liberty to do as they wish. If they wish to only have Libs then they should be allowed, if they wish to only have Repubs, they should be allowed.

I disagree with you stupid partisan morons from both sides, so kiss my ass.

What if Facebook banned their content cuz they were black?

In fact, how do we not know that was the reason?

They should be allowed to do so.

Here is my position...once again...

I believe that any and all anti-discrimination laws enforced against any private business are unconstitutional. The constitution tells the Fed Govt they cannot discriminate, it does not say that you and I cannot.

Furthermore, "protected classes" violate the equal protection clause because they receive more protection than other classes.

So it is your position that the recent law suit against bakers who refused to make a gay wedding cake is unconstitutional?

Seriously? Gtfo with this stupidity. They only thing they are a danger to is your oppression of conservative voices.

This shit has to be put to bed. Further segmenting our society & suppressing their voice is not the way you win a political debate.
Challenge them, argue with them, present them with an opposing view but to just outright silence them?

Just proves to me that the left are increasingly alarmed that their grasp on the media & their ability to force the conversation in a certain direction are under threat. They are clearly scared to death of free speech.
You still haven't figured out what the First Amend is, even after multiple posters explained it to you. Are you simply daft or a liar?
I never mentioned the first amendment dumbass.
You said a violation of free speech, cum face. Do you misunderstand that as well, or just LIE?
Nowhere in my title or op did I say that.

Fail

The problem is they don't say that out front, they claim to be an open public space, AND they give some lip service to free speech.

The problem is only one side is gunning for that ass, and you stick to your "principles" as they measure out the rope for your hanging party.

Sorry, you aren't on their side, you are worse. You are an ignorant idiot.

I am on the side of liberty, first and foremost. I will always take the side of liberty over the side of more Govt control.

If that means I am hanging myself, then at least I die with my boots on.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

How do we stop the GOP Trifecta?

Ignorance

Lying

Smears
Pointless gibberish that has nothing to do with the topic.
Sure it does.

If you can shunt discussion away then you have effectively undermined free speech.

^^^^^

Forcing them to be content neutral, what the hell that even means, would be controlling them. That is something I cannot abide.

If we are going to err on one side or the other, it always has to be on the side of liberty not the Govt

Having people of one particular political persuasion removed from a common platform that has taken the place of the commons in our society is not liberty.

Of course it's because people you disagree with are the ones being silenced that you are OK with it, you gutless fucking hack.

A private company should have the liberty to do as they wish. If they wish to only have Libs then they should be allowed, if they wish to only have Repubs, they should be allowed.

I believe that any and all anti-discrimination laws enforced against any private business are unconstitutional. The constitution tells the Fed Govt they cannot discriminate, it does not say that you and I cannot.

Furthermore, "protected classes" violate the equal protection clause because they receive more protection than other classes.

So it is your position that the recent law suit against bakers who refused to make a gay wedding cake is unconstitutional?

Completely against it, they should be able to pick and choose who they want to serve and who they want to make cakes from. There is a thread from more than a year ago in which I said the same thing I am saying now.

I even take it a step further and think it is wrong that medical personnel and facilities are forced to provide service to those who cannot pay. I do not know what you do for a living ,but I would not like it if I were forced to do such a thing.

The problem is places like facebook and youtube and twitter, aren't the media in the traditional sense, they are more of a form of an electronic commons that takes the place of the old village square.

I know it goes against my libertarian leanings, but I almost think it's time to treat these places AS public commons, and thus obligated to protect the Rights of people using them, just as government would protect the village square.

This is always the excuse for government encroachment on free speech. Liberals are quite familiar with it as a tactic. Conservatives are learning. Libertarians have no excuse.

It's not an excuse, it's a realistic view of what platforms like twitter and facebook have become.

And I'm small "l" libertarian, not "big L" so I am not opposed to government oversight, especially when said oversight is to enforce something like first amendment protections.

Is there such a thing as a "vanishing L libertarian"?

This IS a first amendment issue - but not like you think. Like so many of our protected liberties, the First, is being inverted into its opposite. It's the same dynamic as the "equal rights" movement. We are shifting away from conception of rights as protection from government encroachment, and toward the idea that they are an obligation for government to step in on our behalf if we feel we aren't being properly respected by others.

Things like facebook and twitter are unique situations that the framers never imagined (unlike modern firearms, which they probably could imagine). We have created digital commons. These commons should be required to be content neutral just like any other common area involving speech.

Hell if I were facebook and twitter, I would love to be covered by the 1st, as then they couldn't be blamed for the content on the platforms they don't like, or the SJW's don't like.

Just how do you make something like Facebook "content neutral"? Where does it stop? are boards like this next? Should the Govt make sure no fake news gets posted on this forum?

If the government did that there wouldn't be a Trumpster in site on this board. Tempting....but, nah.

I find it ironic that the left in this thread are using the first amendment to excuse the practice of silencing conservative viewpoints.
Essentially protect the machine at the expense of the people...

I find it ironic that all the Right does is whine and complain.
Instead of getting off their asses and doing things that would make a difference.
The Left has an agenda.....THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS TO THEM. Why can't Right Wingers get this through their thick skulls?

Don't wait for the Constitution, or the government to protect you....protect yourself and the Constitution
At the very least.....Stop using Google. Stop using Facebook. Stop supporting Hollywood.....don't shop Amazon

Perhaps the Right wing is done. Nothing remaining but a bunch of tired old people.
All the Left needs to do is wait just a little longer.

Sure it does.

Don't be an imbecile.....if you can help it
BOTH sides do this

The problem is they don't say that out front, they claim to be an open public space, AND they give some lip service to free speech.

The problem is only one side is gunning for that ass, and you stick to your "principles" as they measure out the rope for your hanging party.

I am on the side of liberty, first and foremost. I will always take the side of liberty over the side of more Govt control.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
"Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins."

If conservatives can find anybody in their ranks who didn’t refuse higher education and knowledge because both are “too liberal,” I’m sure they can easily create a competitor. Buuut I doubt they have anybody like that. They’re still hoping robots forget how to bang on rocks so they can get their coal jobs back.

Right, that's why liberals are so dominant on talk radio.

There is ample precedent for government to say places like Facebook, Twitter and Youtube are part of a new digital commons, and thus must be beholden to the 1st amendment. Not government censors, not government content checkers, just that the 1st amendment applies and if a private citizen feels their 1st amendment rights have been violated they have recourse against such providers of the new digital commons.

You should stop blaming the Left and the government. That's whining and being a snowflake.

It's RIGHTWINGERS who are feeding cash into the Left money machine every day
It's RIGHTWINGERS who are doing nothing and remaining silent while the Left organizes and hits the streets in numbers

The Right does not seem to care what happens to them....while the Left is kicking ass and taking no prisoners

Being a snowflake means I want to silence someone else or not hear them at all, and if I do I "melt"

That isn't the case here.

If Facebook wants to say it has become a progressive only platform, LET THEM SAY IT. If they want to continue to say they are an open space, we have a method of making them stick to it, i.e. creating the concept of a digital commons. Privately run but under the mandate of the 1st amendment.

"Freedom of speech is a principal pillar of a free government; when this support is taken away, the constitution of a free society is dissolved, and tyranny is erected on its ruins."

And freedom of speech is a function of the government, not of private companies. Private individuals/companies should be free to censor anything they desire.

There is ample precedent for government to say places like Facebook, Twitter and Youtube are part of a new digital commons, and thus must be beholden to the 1st amendment. Not government censors, not government content checkers, just that the 1st amendment applies and if a private citizen feels their 1st amendment rights have been violated they have recourse against such providers of the new digital commons.

You should stop blaming the Left and the government. That's whining and being a snowflake.

It's RIGHTWINGERS who are doing nothing and remaining silent while the Left organizes and hits the streets in numbers

The Right does not seem to care what happens to them....while the Left is kicking ass and taking no prisoners

Being a snowflake means I want to silence someone else or not hear them at all, and if I do I "melt"

If Facebook wants to say it has become a progressive only platform, LET THEM SAY IT. If they want to continue to say they are an open space, we have a method of making them stick to it, i.e. creating the concept of a digital commons. Privately run but under the mandate of the 1st amendment.

FoxNews continues to say it is "Fair and Balanced", should the Govt force them to live up to that bullshit motto?

Forcing Facebook to follow the 1st amendment isn't anyone giving up liberty.

Zuckerberg can still post on his own forum and others his viewpoints. So can everyone else.

And freedom of speech is a function of the government, not of private companies. Private individuals/companies should be free to censor anything they desire.

So.....

You never agreed with the gay couple suing the bakers over not wanting to bake a cake for their gay wedding?

I can't find a post where you said the bakers were guilty?

That's always so weird to me.

Worrying about people you don't know and have nothing to do with. I don't get it.

And these right wingers insist it's because they are trying to keep "pure" and make a stand for "morals" and "values".

Then look in their Bible:

Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NAB
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of
silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her.

This is why right wingers accept slavery:

Ephesians 6:5 NLT
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ.

Right wingers follow Trump.

Leviticus 20:10 NLT

If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.

Deuteronomy 22:20-21 NAB)
But if this charge is true (that she wasn’t a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father’s house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst.

The list is endless. They either follow all or stop the judgement. Otherwise, they are total hypocrites and only want to terrorize gays.

They aren't a religion. They are a cult of hate.

FoxNews continues to say it is "Fair and Balanced", should the Govt force them to live up to that bullshit motto?

No, I can't because it is prevented from interfering with content.

Just like facebook would be if it was treated as part of the commons.

Forum List

Back