How do the non-spiritual explain it?

What is your point? I'm an atheist who still enjoys Christmas tradition with my family. I don't believe Santa is real, although I may decorate with Santa and his reindeer's.

You're the one who said ceremonial rituals are just traditions. I am fully aware that we can have all kinds of non-spiritual traditions. However, tradition itself is rooted in spirit. You decorate to convey a spirit. There is a certain "feel" you want to have at Christmas. 'Tis the Season... all that jazz... it's purely spiritual. You may not recognize it as such but that's because you've brainwashed yourself into rejecting human spirituality.
"Tradition is rooted in spirit"?

No, it's not. Where do get this nonsense?

The Spirit of Tradition.

That's where I get it.
I wouldn't let mere slogans so easily corrupt your attempt at argument.

So what. The majority of this country once thought Iraq had something to do with 9-11. A lot people believe that fossils were put here to mislead us.

The majority of this country once thought Iraq had something to do with 9-11.

No one that I am aware of ever thought that. I seriously doubt a majority ever did. But I am certain 95% of the human species didn't believe that.

A lot people believe that fossils were put here to mislead us.

And "a lot of people" is not 95% of the human species for all it's existence.

Is 95 the magic number?

Something "greater than self" is not necessarily connected to your "spiritual" slogan.

Well sure it is, that's exactly what spiritualism is. Are you huffing glue or something?

Actually, it's not. You spend a great deal of time belching slogans. You might consider providing something other than failed slogans to promote your religious beliefs.

Setting aside the various criticisms of religious beliefs for a moment, and pretending the whimsical dismissal of God is perfectly 'natural' for man and all... how do the non-spiritualists explain the following....

Astral projection experiences.
Near-death experiences.
Transcendental meditation.
ESP and telepathy.
Ghost stories and paranormal experiences.
Other unexplained supernatural phenomenon.
Spells, curses and black magic.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Is every single bit of it a bunch of hooey caused by our fears and imagination?

To me, it just seems as if there might be something more here. Especially in the case of people like Edgar Cayce. If you've never studied up on him, it's worth a search and read... fascinating man. His uncanny ability to predict the future was beyond anything we've ever known. He gave over 14k readings but that includes a brief period where he didn't do them because he was getting headaches. People were exploiting his power to win horse races and trade stock and he believed this was why he was getting the headaches. After some time, he did more readings but only his trusted wife was allowed to ask him questions.

Can our physical sciences understand this?

The second line in this post, "the WHIMSICAL DISMISAL OF GOD" begs a response. It's the other 'way round. The WHIMSICAL BLIND TOTAL ACCEPTANCE THAT THERE HAS TO BE A GOD. Blind intolerance like this is what Isis is all about. Prove GOD exist. Prove there is an ALLAH. You can't, I have been there. And there isn't any proof. God is like Santa Clause for adults.

You have made no demonstration that "Every ancient civilization we've unearthed shows signs of spiritual belief..."

You recite that mantra as a religious invocation yet you consistently fail to substantiate that claim.

Feel free to prove me wrong. I'm betting you can't. I'm not reciting any religious invocation, that's simply your way of trying to insult and denigrate your way to victory and I've tried to tell you that doesn't work on me, I am not religious so you can't hurt my feelings or offend me by attacking religion.

Our archaeological discoveries are very meticulously documented, most are available on-line, so you are blessed with an Internet full of resources... go out there and find me a discovered human civilization which was devoid of any spirituality. If such a thing exists, it should be very easy to prove. In fact... if there were such a civilization, don't you imagine the Anti-God Army would be using it regularly in any argument about God? We'd certainly know the name of this Godless civilization, you fucktards would be making movies about it, cramming it down Christian throats every chance you got.

So no such thing exists and my statement remains valid and accurate.

The second line in this post, "the WHIMSICAL DISMISAL OF GOD" begs a response. It's the other 'way round. The WHIMSICAL BLIND TOTAL ACCEPTANCE THAT THERE HAS TO BE A GOD. Blind intolerance like this is what Isis is all about. Prove GOD exist. Prove there is an ALLAH. You can't, I have been there. And there isn't any proof. God is like Santa Clause for adults.

I don't think I've ever seen a retard claim blind intolerance is whimsical. Quite a stretch!

I'm not much for man-made incarnations of God. I believe it is something beyond our ability as humans to comprehend, although we have an intrinsic awareness of it. Attempting to apply man-made attributes is pointless to me.

Your demanding some sort of physical evidence to prove the spiritual is beyond ignorant. Not to mention, nothing can ever be proven... even reality. If you ever believe that science has "proved" something, you have officially abandoned scientific method for a faith-based belief. It's as simple as that.

You have made no demonstration that "Every ancient civilization we've unearthed shows signs of spiritual belief..."

You recite that mantra as a religious invocation yet you consistently fail to substantiate that claim.

Feel free to prove me wrong. I'm betting you can't. I'm not reciting any religious invocation, that's simply your way of trying to insult and denigrate your way to victory and I've tried to tell you that doesn't work on me, I am not religious so you can't hurt my feelings or offend me by attacking religion.

Our archaeological discoveries are very meticulously documented, most are available on-line, so you are blessed with an Internet full of resources... go out there and find me a discovered human civilization which was devoid of any spirituality. If such a thing exists, it should be very easy to prove. In fact... if there were such a civilization, don't you imagine the Anti-God Army would be using it regularly in any argument about God? We'd certainly know the name of this Godless civilization, you fucktards would be making movies about it, cramming it down Christian throats every chance you got.

So no such thing exists and my statement remains valid and accurate.
Feel free to make a first attempt to support your arguments. For all your reciting of slogans and cliches, there's a real absence of facts and evidence in your comments.

And I agree that most chaeological discoveries are very meticulously documented. That should enable you to sometime, eventually, any time now provide some evidence that you 95% slogan Is something more than just another of your silly religious contrivances.

I don't think I've ever seen a retard claim blind intolerance is whimsical. Quite a stretch!

I'm not much for man-made incarnations of God. I believe it is something beyond our ability as humans to comprehend, although we have an intrinsic awareness of it. Attempting to apply man-made attributes is pointless to me.

Your demanding some sort of physical evidence to prove the spiritual is beyond ignorant. Not to mention, nothing can ever be proven... even reality. If you ever believe that science has "proved" something, you have officially abandoned scientific method for a faith-based belief. It's as simple as that.
Really bossy. Your attempts at argument are couched in terms of appeals to your particular incarnations of gawds and magical spirit realms.

You seem to be equating "spiritual" with non-physical.

If spiritual is not physical, what else could you call it?

The issue is the reverse. You seem to be saying that everything non-physical is "spiritual". Is that accurate?

No, that's what YOU are saying...

No, I'm saying the opposite, that there are plenty of non-physical things that aren't considered "spiritual".

I am saying that ALL spiritual things are non-physical and cannot be physical. Before your oblivious and obtuse OCD kicks in, that's not to say that some physical things can't also have a spiritual component.

Listen, you're going into dickhead mode, which seems to be your preferred style of interaction, but there's really no call for it. I'm not trying to pick a fight. I'm just pointing that you guys are arm-wrestling over an equivocation. And getting nowhere because of it.

When an atheist hears "spiritual" they think you're talking strictly about the supernatural. But you seem be characterizing a much wider array of phenomena as "spiritual". The experience and value of religious practices - ritual, prayer, meditation, etc.. - are certainly real, non-physical, things. But it IS an open question whether these are purely psychological experiences, or whether they represent evidence of the supernatural.

So what. The majority of this country once thought Iraq had something to do with 9-11. A lot people believe that fossils were put here to mislead us.

The majority of this country once thought Iraq had something to do with 9-11.

No one that I am aware of ever thought that. I seriously doubt a majority ever did. But I am certain 95% of the human species didn't believe that.

A lot people believe that fossils were put here to mislead us.

And "a lot of people" is not 95% of the human species for all it's existence.

Are you suggesting that god works at FOX news?

When an atheist hears "spiritual" they think you're talking strictly about the supernatural.

Well of course, because they have deemed spiritual to be supernatural. I don't believe spiritual is supernatural, I believe it is a fundamental part of nature. I believe it is a very strong force we can tap into as humans and do so on a regular basis. I am the recipient of all the evidence I need to support my belief, so my mind is open to these things. I don't have a religious ax to grind or dog in the hunt, I am not a religious fanatic, I am a dedicated believer in the principles of science.

I'm not going to sit here and let a bunch of atheists pervert science and try to use is as a means to disprove God.

When an atheist hears "spiritual" they think you're talking strictly about the supernatural.

Well of course, because they have deemed spiritual to be supernatural. I don't believe spiritual is supernatural, I believe it is a fundamental part of nature. I believe it is a very strong force we can tap into as humans and do so on a regular basis. I am the recipient of all the evidence I need to support my belief, so my mind is open to these things. I don't have a religious ax to grind or dog in the hunt, I am not a religious fanatic, I am a dedicated believer in the principles of science.

I'm not going to sit here and let a bunch of atheists pervert science and try to use is as a means to disprove God.

What if eventually 80% of us in america were Muslims? Would you be OK with sharia law? So I guess you're OK with Christianity because you don't mind how it imposes its will on America? You don't care it slowed stem cell research or discriminates against gays. What about back when christian america owned slaves? Maybe you think christianity is harmless now but its not. It controls the masses. It gets people thinking with their hearts instead of their brains.

From your list in the OP...

Near-death experiences.
ESP and telepathy.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Do you believe in all of the above? And how exactly do you apply science to this list?

From your list in the OP...

Near-death experiences.
ESP and telepathy.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Do you believe in all of the above? And how exactly do you apply science to this list?

I'm trying to make people realize how wrong it is for people to believe all this stuff from ghosts to angels to all the crazy stuff Mormons and Muslims believe. Even the virgin birth story. It can't be good intellectually or as far as us advancing our species with people believing this crap.

Look how many of them doubt the big bang evolution and global warming. Makes people dumb or is keeping people dumb.

It's more than just a little silly to suggest your belief in gawds and spirit realms is not connected to the supernatural.

Cheer up, Bunky. L Ron Hubbard didn't get it right on his first try at invention of a new fangled religion.

It's more than just a little silly to suggest your belief in gawds and spirit realms is not connected to the supernatural.

I don't see how there's any denying that gods are real things. The only thing debatable is their true nature. And that's something that most people, atheist and religious alike, aren't interested in discussing.

I don't see how there's any denying that gods are real things. The only thing debatable is their true nature. And that's something that most people, atheist and religious alike, aren't interested in discussing.
I have no reason to accept the existence of any of the asserted gawds.

I have no reason to accept the existence of any of the asserted gawds.

What do you mean "accept"? Surely you recognize their existence, at a bare a minimum, as ideas communally shared by followers, no?

Forum List

Back