How Do We Eradicate Partisanship From American Politics?

It's a known fact that the country has been steadily getting more and more partisan as far as politics are concerned.

Republicans are forever bemoaning that fact w/the meme "such and such is dividing", whenever referring to a Democrat politician of course.

Nevermind that Republicans vowed to not do anything that would benefit President Elect Obama on the night of his swearing in. They obstructed him at every turn, to the point that this has been the most do-nothing Congress since they've been keeping track of their approval rate, with percentages as low as 9% approval.

It's gotten to the point that it doesn't matter what the issue is, everything is seen through purely partisan political lenses, where "your guy" is the devil incarnate, and "my guy" can simply do no wrong. Leaving the American People suffering as the result.

So how do you propose we get rid of partisan politics and get down to the business of The People?

Anyone?

I doubt we'll see it in our lifetime. It will likely take centuries for all the ignorance to be bred out.

Unfortunately, if history is any indicator, it will take something of catastrophic proportions to turn Americans into one voice again. This is usually accomplished by an outside threat that becomes a common enemy to everyone.

When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, that brought Americans together in a common effort that would serve to protect all. When we were attacked by a bunch of mostly Saudis in our own domestic airplanes, we became a cohesive nation again. And then Bush botched the whole thing up by attacking the wrong country and the partisanship began again.
The partisanship accelerated when you morons insisted on the first black president...and you chose a fucking moron.

thankfully the right wing white christers are dying off , maybe the republican party can reinvent itself in 20 -30 years to become a national party once again , sans the bitter uneducated white christers who will be a very small minority by then

Yep, I think you have a point there. The right wing Jesus Christers are mostly over the age of 50.

Take a shit with a tranny....yo.

You represent the mentality of Texas sooooo well, DuhTex.
Bullshit. In Texas we take a shot at a tranny...I recon that's why you left Austin.

I didn't leave Austin. I live part time in Texas and part time in NJ. I know pinheads like yourself have never been beyond state lines and can't comprehend this, but it happens.
Wow...what an adventure!

It's a known fact that the country has been steadily getting more and more partisan as far as politics are concerned.

Republicans are forever bemoaning that fact w/the meme "such and such is dividing", whenever referring to a Democrat politician of course.

Nevermind that Republicans vowed to not do anything that would benefit President Elect Obama on the night of his swearing in. They obstructed him at every turn, to the point that this has been the most do-nothing Congress since they've been keeping track of their approval rate, with percentages as low as 9% approval.

It's gotten to the point that it doesn't matter what the issue is, everything is seen through purely partisan political lenses, where "your guy" is the devil incarnate, and "my guy" can simply do no wrong. Leaving the American People suffering as the result.

So how do you propose we get rid of partisan politics and get down to the business of The People?

Anyone?

I doubt we'll see it in our lifetime. It will likely take centuries for all the ignorance to be bred out.

Unfortunately, if history is any indicator, it will take something of catastrophic proportions to turn Americans into one voice again. This is usually accomplished by an outside threat that becomes a common enemy to everyone.

When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, that brought Americans together in a common effort that would serve to protect all. When we were attacked by a bunch of mostly Saudis in our own domestic airplanes, we became a cohesive nation again. And then Bush botched the whole thing up by attacking the wrong country and the partisanship began again.
The partisanship accelerated when you morons insisted on the first black president...and you chose a fucking moron.

I guess you don't recall much before 2009, which is a dominant feature in the frontal lobes of the rightwing cerebral cortex.
Obama didn't take us into a 10-year vanity war and he sure as hell didn't give Wall Street carte blanche to destroy and suck $19,000,000,000,000 out of our economy.
Go back to jerking off, DuhTex. It's what you do best.

Anyone?

I believe partisanship could be diminished to a great degree by having term limits. What I'm seeing time and time again is that you have for example in the Senate "Team McConnell" vs "Team Reid". These men have built up a power base so strong that when an up and comer wants to work "hands across the aisle" they get bitch slapped silly.

An example comes to mind from the last session. Not picking on the D side here. It's just an example that I know very well. Senator Heidi Heitkamp from the wonderful state of North Dakota fought long and hard to come to some middle ground over the Keystone Pipeline. She's just south of me and I hear her interviewed all the time on various stations.

This woman is a phenomenal Democrat in the old tried and true sense of the label. I really admire this woman but she met resistance from Reid at every turn. Reid wouldn't listen to his own people.

McConnell pulls the same shit. When they've been in so long, when their power base is so strong, abuse is bound to occur and I believe we've been witnessing this for far too long.

Term limits would be a good start.

Here's an FYI. It shows how hard she worked to get people to hammer out a solution.

Nov 12 2014
Heitkamp Calls for Senate to Vote This Week on Bill to Approve Keystone XL Pipeline
Senator Worked Over Past Year to Gather Strong Bipartisan Support for Bill from Other Democrats for Legislation
WASHINGTON, D.C.

Her statement at link. But here's how she was working it in a strong bi partisan fashion.

More at link:

Heitkamp Calls for Senate to Vote This Week on Bill to Approve Keystone XL Pipeline - Press Releases - United States Senator Heidi Heitkamp

I agree, term limits would be an excellent place to start.
Another great place to start would be for the FEC to completely change the manner and methods for running for public office and get money out of politics.
When only billionaires can afford to run for office, we are only going to get people who are dedicated to looking out for themselves.

Anyone?

I guess you don't recall much before 2009, which is a dominant feature in the frontal lobes of the rightwing cerebral cortex.
Obama didn't take us into a 10-year vanity war and he sure as hell didn't give Wall Street carte blanche to destroy and suck $19,000,000,000,000 out of our economy.
Go back to jerking off, DuhTex. It's what you do best.
You still have some on your lower lip, Gertrude....

Anyone?

And in 2000 you chose a half-witted alcoholic whose daddy had to pay to have his DUIs expunged. Then you reelected him in 2004.

Take a shit with a tranny....yo.

You represent the mentality of Texas sooooo well, DuhTex.
Bullshit. In Texas we take a shot at a tranny...I recon that's why you left Austin.

I didn't leave Austin. I live part time in Texas and part time in NJ. I know pinheads like yourself have never been beyond state lines and can't comprehend this, but it happens.
Wow...what an adventure!

Unlike yours, which are relegated to an annual visit to Six Flags.

Anyone?

And in 2000 you chose a half-witted alcoholic whose daddy had to pay to have his DUIs expunged. Then you reelected him in 2004.
And you want to give a lying incompetent a third term...GFY.

Anyone?
Marc!

Marc, Marc, Marc...

There has never been a time in American politics when partisanship was non-existent. Right from the get-go, our country formed two political parties because of radical differences of opinion.

Before the ink was even dry on the Constitution, the battles over slavery began. This eventually led to Bleeding Kansas and then the Civil War, with vitriolic state nullification debates added for extra spice.

And then there was the election of 1828. A Presidential campaign in which the personal attacks became so bitter, they literally KILLED Andrew Jackson's wife.

If you figure out how we get rid of partisan politics, you will deserve the Nobel, the Pulitzer Prize, the Tony, the Oscar, the Emmy, and the Mustard Yellow International Belt. Your likeness will be put on coins and monuments. High schools and boulevards and first born males will be named after you.

Great synopsis, but everyone knows we can't completely end partisanship, but we can certainly ramp it way down from where it is now. And this division has been created by the politicians who are served by it for a reason and one reason only: fundraising. It's what they do. It's what it is ALL about. It's in their best interest to keep things at a frenetic state in order to get reelected. That is why I have to say I revert back to human nature and the way that nothing pulls people together more than a common enemy.

Anyone?

And you want to give a lying incompetent a third term...GFY.

I am assuming you are referring to Hillary Clinton? Why don't you find where I have said I support her? Go ahead. You obviously have nothing else to do. Living off fraudulent SSDI means you have lots of free time.

thankfully the right wing white christers [sic] are dying off , maybe the republican party can reinvent itself in 20 -30 years to become a national party once again , sans the bitter uneducated white christers [sic] who will be a very small minority by then

And racist idiots like you will still be racist idiots.

Marc, call out the retards in your own ranks. Take them to account. Don't let them take over and define your party.

That's about all any of us can do.
I do when I see any retarded behavior, for the most part.

Anyone?

OK, after a few days with this on the front page have you told us what you plan on doing about partisanship? I assume you to be black. I also assume you to be a democrat. I have observed that on every occasion you have taken the side of the democrats.

So, since you seem to be one of those that are quite partisan can you tell me what you plan on doing to end partisanship?

If your answer is the same as what liberals always say then for get it. Doing everything the left wants isn't going to happen.
Having a record that's mostly on one side doesn't mean that one cannot view things without a political partisan lense.

By their fruits they shall be known. Your fruits are all democrat, I have never seen you take the other side. Maybe I take the opposite view all the time but I am not starting threads as if I am above being partisan.

Now, I nicely asked you a question, what are you going to do?
I can list a number of conservative views I personally hold.

How many liberal views can you list?

The best way to end the partisanship would be to eliminate the Federal government. This way the States can be totally free to be whatever the fuck they want and you just move to the state that best fits you

Anyone?

After 9/11 America was cohesive for about 14 days.

I was a New Yorker at the time, I've been to the shrines, met family members of the victims, fellowshiped with Americans of all stripes and persuasions in the days preceding the disaster. The collective feeling of togetherness lasted about 2 weeks...tops.

Then it was right back to partisan politics, as usual.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back