How Do We Eradicate Partisanship From American Politics?

The needle would never move

lie-detector.jpg

It's a known fact that the country has been steadily getting more and more partisan as far as politics are concerned.

Republicans are forever bemoaning that fact w/the meme "such and such is dividing", whenever referring to a Democrat politician of course.

Nevermind that Republicans vowed to not do anything that would benefit President Elect Obama on the night of his swearing in. They obstructed him at every turn, to the point that this has been the most do-nothing Congress since they've been keeping track of their approval rate, with percentages as low as 9% approval.

It's gotten to the point that it doesn't matter what the issue is, everything is seen through purely partisan political lenses, where "your guy" is the devil incarnate, and "my guy" can simply do no wrong. Leaving the American People suffering as the result.

So how do you propose we get rid of partisan politics and get down to the business of The People?

Anyone?

If you want the answer to your question look in the mirror and you'll see the problem. You ask how do we eradicate partisanship and then devote an entire thread to taking a partisan shot at the Republicans.

The Prog solution is for everyone else to submit and shut up.
False that's you clowns.

It's a known fact that the country has been steadily getting more and more partisan as far as politics are concerned.

Republicans are forever bemoaning that fact w/the meme "such and such is dividing", whenever referring to a Democrat politician of course.

Nevermind that Republicans vowed to not do anything that would benefit President Elect Obama on the night of his swearing in. They obstructed him at every turn, to the point that this has been the most do-nothing Congress since they've been keeping track of their approval rate, with percentages as low as 9% approval.

It's gotten to the point that it doesn't matter what the issue is, everything is seen through purely partisan political lenses, where "your guy" is the devil incarnate, and "my guy" can simply do no wrong. Leaving the American People suffering as the result.

So how do you propose we get rid of partisan politics and get down to the business of The People?

Anyone?
you are making it sound like only republicans are partisan Marc....
I'm referring to the most current and/or most glaring case of it.

We all know both sides do it too.

Your whole argument boils down to "Waaaah people who think like me aren't getting our way, waaaaah!!!"

Anyone?
I've been thinking about this a lot and I really think that it comes down to reducing the number of representatives we have. Partisan politics have largely formed due to the power of groups in Congress...as Congress has gotten larger and larger the power of each individual has weakened while strength in groups has grown to the point where the individual has little to no say (esp in the House). Our first Congress was roughly 15% of the size our current Congress is. This allowed for each individual member to have a much stronger and more powerful voice. If you want to get rid of group think in Congress you have to increase the power of the individuals. However, that comes with obvious downsides if the wrong individuals are elected. It is a trade-off.

Anyone?
you are making it sound like only republicans are partisan Marc....
Of course he is.

Liberal Dictionary
====================================================
Partisanship - any opposition to the left.
bri...their are righties here just as bad as some of the partisan lefties...

Anyone?
As you can see you’ll get no serious responses from conservatives on this site.

America is experiencing positive change as we become a more diverse, inclusive society, and a society that rejects the notion of seeking to disadvantage citizens based solely on who they are, or compelling citizens to conform through force of law because some disagree with the personal, private choices Americans make concerning their lives.

This change is frightening to most conservatives, who incorrectly perceive change as some sort of ‘threat,’ when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

In an effort to oppose change and address this imaginary ‘threat,’ most on the right will resort to fallacies, demagoguery, and lies in an effort to justify their unwarranted fear, conservatives will try to divide the American people, and advocate enacting measures hostile to those whom conservatives perceive as a ‘threat.’

In order to accomplish this, it will be necessary for republicans and conservatives to pursue a hyper-partisan agenda designed to demonize and vilify those they whom they perceive as ‘facilitating’ the change they so fear, such as Muslims, immigrants, gay Americans, and transgender Americans.

In time this will end, of course, but for the foreseeable future partisanism will continue to be a fundamental aspect of American politics.

Anyone?

Prosecute the Democrats for treason and lynch them.

That's what the Democrat's terrorist organization, the KKK, did to people who they thought were Republicans.

How about some paybacks?

Last edited:

Anyone?

America is experiencing positive change as we become a more diverse, inclusive society, and a society that rejects the notion of seeking to disadvantage citizens based solely on who they are, or compelling citizens to conform through force of law because some disagree with the personal, private choices Americans make concerning their lives.

This change is frightening to most conservatives, who incorrectly perceive change as some sort of ‘threat,’ when in fact nothing could be further from the truth.

In an effort to oppose change and address this imaginary ‘threat,’ most on the right will resort to fallacies, demagoguery, and lies in an effort to justify their unwarranted fear, conservatives will try to divide the American people, and advocate enacting measures hostile to those whom conservatives perceive as a ‘threat.’

In order to accomplish this, it will be necessary for republicans and conservatives to pursue a hyper-partisan agenda designed to demonize and vilify those they whom they perceive as ‘facilitating’ the change they so fear, such as Muslims, immigrants, gay Americans, and transgender Americans.

In time this will end, of course, but for the foreseeable future partisanism will continue to be a fundamental aspect of American politics.

You blabber too much

Take a shit with a tranny....yo.
Could you have said anything less relevant?
It's irrelevant to me...but it is very close to your heart.
False if was irrelevant to you , you wouldn't have made a failed attempt at humor.
You would have said nothing.
You are irrelevant to me...but that does not mean I will pass up a shot at your nuts.
Contradiction.

Anyone?

You blabber too much
Irony of ironies.

I've been thinking about this a lot and I really think that it comes down to reducing the number of representatives we have. Partisan politics have largely formed due to the power of groups in Congress...as Congress has gotten larger and larger the power of each individual has weakened while strength in groups has grown to the point where the individual has little to no say (esp in the House). Our first Congress was roughly 15% of the size our current Congress is. This allowed for each individual member to have a much stronger and more powerful voice. If you want to get rid of group think in Congress you have to increase the power of the individuals. However, that comes with obvious downsides if the wrong individuals are elected. It is a trade-off.

What you propose is about the dumbest fucking thing you could do. You want to concentrate all this power into the hands of LESS people?? You want to increase the size of their fiefdoms? The average member of the House represents approximately 700,000 people. How can one person effectively represent that many people? They can't. That's why Washington is so detached from the rest of the country. Have you ever tried getting a meeting with your Congressman? Good luck. It's hard to make time for 700,000 people, but it's easy to meet with lobbyists who are right over on K Street.

What we need is to double, if not triple the size of the House, one member of Congress representing 250,000 is going to be far more responsive to their constituents than one who is representing 700,000 and the power is spread out over many more people as opposed to being concentrated in the hands of an aristocratic few. It's also a lot harder for lobbyists to bribe 1300 members of the House than 435 and in fact, they don't even need to buy 435, just 50% of them plus one. Given the size of this country our Congress should look like the Republican Senate in Star Wars.

They should also spend more time at home and less time in Washington. With all the technology we have today why do they need to have a physical quorum in D.C. in order to hold a vote. Why can't we have a couple thousand representatives voting from their home districts? Wouldn't that make more sense?

New Hampshire is one of the smallest states in the country, yet it has over 400 members of its state legislature who get paid $200 a year and the state is run pretty damn well.

The governnrnt is divided because the people are divided. Politicians who want to work with others will shortly be accused of betraying those who voted for them and replaced.

The answer is easy (no pun intended)...outlaw all political parties. Make candidates run as individuals.

Anyone?

I believe partisanship could be diminished to a great degree by having term limits. What I'm seeing time and time again is that you have for example in the Senate "Team McConnell" vs "Team Reid". These men have built up a power base so strong that when an up and comer wants to work "hands across the aisle" they get bitch slapped silly.

An example comes to mind from the last session. Not picking on the D side here. It's just an example that I know very well. Senator Heidi Heitkamp from the wonderful state of North Dakota fought long and hard to come to some middle ground over the Keystone Pipeline. She's just south of me and I hear her interviewed all the time on various stations.

This woman is a phenomenal Democrat in the old tried and true sense of the label. I really admire this woman but she met resistance from Reid at every turn. Reid wouldn't listen to his own people.

McConnell pulls the same shit. When they've been in so long, when their power base is so strong, abuse is bound to occur and I believe we've been witnessing this for far too long.

Term limits would be a good start.

Here's an FYI. It shows how hard she worked to get people to hammer out a solution.

Nov 12 2014
Heitkamp Calls for Senate to Vote This Week on Bill to Approve Keystone XL Pipeline
Senator Worked Over Past Year to Gather Strong Bipartisan Support for Bill from Other Democrats for Legislation
WASHINGTON, D.C.

Her statement at link. But here's how she was working it in a strong bi partisan fashion.

More at link:

Heitkamp Calls for Senate to Vote This Week on Bill to Approve Keystone XL Pipeline - Press Releases - United States Senator Heidi Heitkamp
Interesting argument tiny...

How are you defining "power base?" though?

Anyone?

Focus on the issues.

Anyone?

your first premise is incorrect. Years ago there were two ballot boxes. One for those voting Republican and one for Democrat. Doesn't get much more partisan than that.

Anyone?
Seriously, eradicate partisanship from politics?!

There's a head-scratchier.

DUMB< DUMB< DUMB
He's a liberal, what did you expect? If Trump wins his tone will change immediately. Funny thing is a couple people fell for his bullshit bait.
I take it you're not one of those self-proclaimed conservative Republicans that like to go on and on about "[insert Democrat] is being divisive," correct?

The Founding Fathers made sure that partisanship would be part of politics so what do we get when we "eradicate partisanship"? A monarchy perhaps?

Forum List

Back