How intimately should teachers know their students?

I don't think professional relationships have to be cold or sterile. Teachers do not need to be involved in every detail of a kid's life.

Shit I can't even remember any of the names of any teacher I had

Some of my late husband's favorite memories from his teaching days involved being invited to the homes of his students and their families for dinner.

I don't think professional relationships have to be cold or sterile. Teachers do not need to be involved in every detail of a kid's life.

Shit I can't even remember any of the names of any teacher I had
Most of my teachers fawned over the bright kids, the rest of us were largely ignored.

Teachers should accommodate the wishes of each parent wherever possible or feasible.

I would have agreed with this 30 years ago.

Take a look around at the general population now and tell me that. No, really.

We have kindergarten and 1st grade teachers being asked to help children wipe their butts after they poop. Among many such ridiculous requests.

Teachers are not usually saints. But please. Parents are not always either.

I would have agreed with this 30 years ago.

Take a look around at the general population now and tell me that. No, really.

We have kindergarten and 1st grade teachers being asked to help children wipe their butts after they poop. Among many such ridiculous requests.

Teachers are not usually saints. But please. Parents are not always either.
If children aren't ready for school don't admit them.

Teachers should accommodate the wishes of each parent wherever possible or feasible.
Parents are in the duty to prepare their children in such a way, that a teacher is able to teach, in the first place. Which is nowadays obviously in majority not the case anymore.
If parents want their wishes to be accommodated by a teacher - get a private tutor

Parents are in the duty to prepare their children in such a way, that a teacher is able to teach, in the first place. Which is nowadays obviously in majority not the case anymore.
If parents want their wishes to be accommodated by a teacher - get a private tutor
Teachers and the smarter kids should 'tutor' the slower kids in the classroom. Cooperation instead of competition. Make learning a group effort instead of thirty individual efforts.

Typical classroom scene,

Teacher: "Now, does anyone have any questions, just raise your hand."

Class response: No one raises their hand although some do have questions and others are completely lost.

Forum List

Back