🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How is it Congress can have a chaplain....

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I don't care if the House and Senate have a chaplain, or if they begin each session prostrating before Gozer the Destructor. What I want to know is how the House and Senate have been able to get away with praying and paying a man of the cloth since 17-something, when the Pre-K at one of our local elementary schools, which is funded entirely by Federal grants, could not decorate with so much as a Christmas tree or Santa or stocking, or participate in the Christmas parties that the rest of the school were involved in. All because the Pre-K was funded by a Federal Grant.

I would appreciate a serious answer to that. Every time I hear about the chaplain for Congress I think of those poor Pre-K kids with their window covered over so they wouldn't see all the other kids celebrating Christmas. True story.

In a reversal, Speaker Ryan says the House chaplain will remain in his post

there have been some challenges
they pay him??!!!
that's a waste of tax $$$$$$
get rid of that crap right now.....
Chaplain of the United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia
https://chaplain.house.gov/chaplaincy/ChaplainHistoryCRS.pdf
The Senate Chaplain’s Office has a budget of $436,886 this year.
The salaries alone for the three in the House chaplain’s office top $345,000 according to InsideGov. Add expenses and Congress is spending $800,000 every year on its opening prayers.
goddamn!! get rid of this crap now!!!
Wasteful spending: Congress pays clergy $66,000/hour to pray
I don't care if you're a believer or not---this is a waste of $$$$$$$

Last edited:
I don't care if the House and Senate have a chaplain, or if they begin each session prostrating before Gozer the Destructor. What I want to know is how the House and Senate have been able to get away with praying and paying a man of the cloth since 17-something, when the Pre-K at one of our local elementary schools, which is funded entirely by Federal grants, could not decorate with so much as a Christmas tree or Santa or stocking, or participate in the Christmas parties that the rest of the school were involved in. All because the Pre-K was funded by a Federal Grant.

I would appreciate a serious answer to that. Every time I hear about the chaplain for Congress I think of those poor Pre-K kids with their window covered over so they wouldn't see all the other kids celebrating Christmas. True story.

Well, it's because laws are made by politicians, they're not for politicians to obey.

When you have two parties scratching each others' backs pretending they're different, but they're both on the take, you should realize that corruption is going to be massively high.

And the people keep voting this shit into office. The people keep demanding that the undemocratic ways continue.

Same reason the military has chaplins.

they pay him??!!!
The salaries alone for the three in the House chaplain’s office top $345,000 according to InsideGov. Add expenses and Congress is spending $800,000 every year on its opening prayers.
Salary is $170,000 a year, is what I heard. Not outside the norm on the beltway.
My beef isn't about the money. Well, not THAT money.
Why can't 4 year olds in a Federally funded preschool program celebrate Christmas while these jokers in Washington are praying it up every time they open a session? I saw the Chaplain opening an awards ceremony for some Puerto Rican military vets once, too--first time I knew they were getting away with this. They're busy folks, blessing all the Great Works of the elected, hey?

they pay him??!!!
Salary is $170,000 a year, is what I heard. Not outside the norm on the beltway.
My beef isn't about the money. Well, not THAT money.
Why can't 4 year olds in a Federally funded preschool program celebrate Christmas while these jokers in Washington are praying it up every time they open a session? I saw the Chaplain opening an awards ceremony for some Puerto Rican military vets once, too--first time I knew they were getting away with this. They're busy folks, blessing all the Great Works of the elected, hey?
the $$$$$ is my biggest beef
but you have a great point on the Christmas deal

....let's pay for someone in the house to babel on the difference of rock formations!!! same thing

I doubt it. When you're about to get bombed, I can see the usefulness of having a chaplain around.
Like I said, I don't really care if they have one or not. If you feel the good reason for the Congress having a chaplain is "because the military," when Federally funded programs can't, please explain a little more.

If that block grant money passes through state and local school administrator's hands, there's your answer.

Solution: Vet your local politicians thoroughly.

Congress can't get sued by the ACLU for what goes on under the Dome.

If that block grant money passes through state and local school administrator's hands, there's your answer.

But that's too much work.

Are you saying the administrators misinterpreted the grant rules and restrictions? You realize they got holy hell for that ban X-mas in the Pre-K thing, from all the parents, relatives, other teachers, etc. So I'm sure they dug through the fine print again to be sure. Teachers aren't against kids having Christmas. If I'd been one of those parents, that fine print would have been changed or the administrator misinterpreting it would be working at McDonalds. That's for sure.

Are you saying the administrators misinterpreted the grant rules and restrictions? You realize they got holy hell for that ban X-mas in the Pre-K thing, from all the parents, relatives, other teachers, etc. So I'm sure they dug through the fine print again to be sure. Teachers aren't against kids having Christmas. If I'd been one of those parents, that fine print would have been changed or the administrator misinterpreting it would be working at McDonalds. That's for sure.

Way back when...schools had zero Federal funding. They were funded by the state and local communities, so the taxpayers had more say. Also, there were no Teacher's Unions.

big negative:
1.we don't have chaplains saying prayers for us in the barracks/our work area/etc---
2.the House is nothing compared to the military
3. I'm pretty sure the military chaplain's make less
4. other governmental civilian departments do not have a chaplain

The House chaplain opens every House session with a prayer, or by bringing in a guest chaplain to say a prayer.
we don't have the chaplain on the mortar range saying prayers

Forum List

Back