🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How is it Congress can have a chaplain....

there have been some challenges
they pay him??!!!
that's a waste of tax $$$$$$
get rid of that crap right now.....
Chaplain of the United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia
https://chaplain.house.gov/chaplaincy/ChaplainHistoryCRS.pdf
The Senate Chaplain’s Office has a budget of $436,886 this year.
The salaries alone for the three in the House chaplain’s office top $345,000 according to InsideGov. Add expenses and Congress is spending $800,000 every year on its opening prayers.
goddamn!! get rid of this crap now!!!
Wasteful spending: Congress pays clergy $66,000/hour to pray
I don't care if you're a believer or not---this is a waste of $$$$$$$

Besides which, if some Congresscritter(s) desired to pray, why would they need to pay somebody to lead it? Apparently they know not how it's done and can't do it on their own, which sure doesn't make much of a case for its value.

Indeed there can be only one reason for setting up a "leader" in what should be private meditation, and that is to engender Groupthink. And that's antidemocratic.

I don't care if the House and Senate have a chaplain, or if they begin each session prostrating before Gozer the Destructor. What I want to know is how the House and Senate have been able to get away with praying and paying a man of the cloth since 17-something, when the Pre-K at one of our local elementary schools, which is funded entirely by Federal grants, could not decorate with so much as a Christmas tree or Santa or stocking, or participate in the Christmas parties that the rest of the school were involved in. All because the Pre-K was funded by a Federal Grant.

I would appreciate a serious answer to that. Every time I hear about the chaplain for Congress I think of those poor Pre-K kids with their window covered over so they wouldn't see all the other kids celebrating Christmas. True story.

In a reversal, Speaker Ryan says the House chaplain will remain in his post

Ah, you have posed the question that has no answer. Well done.

I do that all the time, hope you get better results.
I have two contenders so far: What do you think of them?
-Misinterpretation of the Federal grant restrictions by an overly cautious Paper Pusher in Augusta, or
-None of this banning religion in Federally funded programs comes from the Feds; it is all a function of the Courts.

freedom OF religion doesn't mean freedom FROM it

~S~
Then why must a program funded with Federal dollars ban Christmas?

They are not banning Christmas. Was this a parochial school. Also they should not have a Chaplin.
No. It was a public school and every other class has Christmas.

They should have interfaith. We are not a Christian nation. Due to the maj of people in the US , claiming to be Christian, and I say claiming to be, we are still not a Christian nation.

Ho, Hokay, Obummer.

Prove the US is not a Christian nation.

Check your First Amendment there, Maid Marion. Would you like to borrow my copy?

We had Christmas in our public schools once upon a time. Christian observances were part of the package that public schools co-opted from the private schools as public schools were being established (about the middle of the nineteenth century).

It's just that slow, determined creep leftward.

One of these days, perhaps in our lifetimes, the Senate and the House will fire their chaplains.

they pay him??!!!
The salaries alone for the three in the House chaplain’s office top $345,000 according to InsideGov. Add expenses and Congress is spending $800,000 every year on its opening prayers.
Salary is $170,000 a year, is what I heard. Not outside the norm on the beltway.
My beef isn't about the money. Well, not THAT money.
Why can't 4 year olds in a Federally funded preschool program celebrate Christmas while these jokers in Washington are praying it up every time they open a session? I saw the Chaplain opening an awards ceremony for some Puerto Rican military vets once, too--first time I knew they were getting away with this. They're busy folks, blessing all the Great Works of the elected, hey?
All career politicians are vastly overpaid, actually they should get no pay....
The chaplain is the least of our worries… Get a grip woman! LOL

they pay him??!!!

Besides which, if some Congresscritter(s) desired to pray, why would they need to pay somebody to lead it? Apparently they know not how it's done and can't do it on their own, which sure doesn't make much of a case for its value.

Indeed there can be only one reason for setting up a "leader" in what should be private meditation, and that is to engender Groupthink. And that's antidemocratic.
I know better than to argue with you, but really? Prayer is Groupthink? Oh, Pogo, I hope you're being sarcastic.

they pay him??!!!
Salary is $170,000 a year, is what I heard. Not outside the norm on the beltway.
Why can't 4 year olds in a Federally funded preschool program celebrate Christmas while these jokers in Washington are praying it up every time they open a session? I saw the Chaplain opening an awards ceremony for some Puerto Rican military vets once, too--first time I knew they were getting away with this. They're busy folks, blessing all the Great Works of the elected, hey?
All career politicians are vastly overpaid, actually they should get no pay....
The chaplain is the least of our worries… Get a grip woman! LOL
For the hundredth time, Rustic, learn to read. I don't care what he gets paid! This has nothing to do with that. Maybe you meant to respond to someone else.

they pay him??!!!
the $$$$$ is my biggest beef
but you have a great point on the Christmas deal

Christmas decorations can be seen as a secular tradition, which it certainly is in this culture, as well as a religious one. The hypothetial classroom or other venue that puts up trees, lights, balls etc are actually following more of a pagan tradition than an organized religion.

I don't care if the House and Senate have a chaplain, or if they begin each session prostrating before Gozer the Destructor. What I want to know is how the House and Senate have been able to get away with praying and paying a man of the cloth since 17-something, when the Pre-K at one of our local elementary schools, which is funded entirely by Federal grants, could not decorate with so much as a Christmas tree or Santa or stocking, or participate in the Christmas parties that the rest of the school were involved in. All because the Pre-K was funded by a Federal Grant.

I would appreciate a serious answer to that. Every time I hear about the chaplain for Congress I think of those poor Pre-K kids with their window covered over so they wouldn't see all the other kids celebrating Christmas. True story.

In a reversal, Speaker Ryan says the House chaplain will remain in his post

Tackling the issue from one particular angle, one could look towards the issue educational value. If you allow for Christmas, then you must allow for every religious faith that participated in public education. That in itself can take time away from educating a basic skill or knowledge that can beneficial towards your career.

However, on using that argument, we find shop class is no longer being taught as fulfilling an “educational requirement”, yet at the same time there is a move towards teachihg regarding transgender classes and global warming being taught to our children. So can you honestly say it’s about providing a needed skill towards an educational benefit, or personal means of providing “influence”? Religion, can also be deemed as an influential part of a child’s upbringing as well through teachings. It comes down to how you want to influence your kids, but it’s not about a providing a necessary requirement towards a much needed skill.

An argument can be made for English and English composition, United States History, Math, science each having a skill benefit. Also shop class or even some form of financial accounting can have a benefit. However, topics like religion or transgender studies, speaks more to behavior than anything else. The question just comes down how much time are we imparting to our children that leads them towards a developed skill that aids them in obtaining a future career.

The Death Of Shop Class And America's Skilled Workforce

Transgender Agenda & Schools -- Some Won’t Even Let Parents Opt Out | National Review
I would hope global warming is being taught. They taught us about DNA and cellular mitosis, too, because it is established scientific fact.
They aren't teaching transgender studies at our local elementary schools. Just not to bully anyone for being different. Go cry about it.
I don't really understand how a 4 year old kid having a paper stocking which the teacher fills with pencils and a few treats on the day of the Christmas party is teaching religion or takes away from their academic achievement. C'mon. Get with the real world here. They're 4.

Well we are more familiar with Christmas than any Muslim holiday, for example. Then there is Budism, Hinduism, and every eastern form of religion. Where do you draw the boundary? If you allow for the representation of each, does that help us as much as using time to learn another language? How are we competing in what skills we actually impart, compared to students in Europe or Asia. You have to realize, at some point, we will be competing against them for employment. It’s far better we approach it from the child’s benefit. Incidently, that’s why I have chosen to invest in private education to include more foreign language study over issues of global warming and transgender type issues. I want to push for a higher achievement that actually competes with the skills European schools place on THEIR students.

Christmas for a 4 year old should not be discouraged, in my personal view, but when everyone wants you to be “politically correct” it’s as if others somehow know better than the actual parent. There is really too much “political correctness” that fails to broaden kids to both sides of an issue, and forces others to decide for the younger generation than it allows them to decide for themselves. I prefer attaining more knowledge, over someone’s one-sided particular view through indoctrination.

Public schools should cut off all connection to family…
And just get it over with. That is their intention

they pay him??!!!
the $$$$$ is my biggest beef
but you have a great point on the Christmas deal

Christmas decorations can be seen as a secular tradition, which it certainly is in this culture, as well as a religious one. The hypothetial classroom or other venue that puts up trees, lights, balls etc are actually following more of a pagan tradition than an organized religion.

But the manger scenes, though!

Every school used to do a Christmas program. Public or private.

Luke 2, baby.

they pay him??!!!

I know better than to argue with you, but really? Prayer is Groupthink? Oh, Pogo, I hope you're being sarcastic.

No, not at all. Religion is a private matter. Once it starts electing "leaders" everybody in the "flock" has to "follow" --- that's groupthink. In fact now that you bring it up I see a direct parallel with another groupthink that prescribes everybody has to stand up for a national anthem at a sports event. Same thing.

they pay him??!!!

No, not at all. Religion is a private matter. Once it starts electing "leaders" everybody in the "flock" has to "follow" --- that's groupthink. In fact now that you bring it up I see a direct parallel with another groupthink that prescribes everybody has to stand up for a national anthem at a sports event. Same thing.

IOW, you don't like American traditions and seek to remove/replace them with bullshit. Got it! :2up:

they pay him??!!!

Just admit it progressives want nothing to do with family and faith, They can’t help. Being control freaks...

Forum List

Back