How long before they stop playing the Anthem at sporting events?

A better question is....why do they do so in the first place?

If I remember correctly, the custom started when we were at war and they wanted to show support for our troops. I forget which war now.

I guess this lowlife multimillionaire quarterback didn't know that; not that he'd care. He's been banged in the head too many times to realize most Americans have some sort of quibble with our government, but that's not the way to express it.

Of course, leftists now claim he's a hero and the MSM follow. Gee, I wonder what would happen if they had a player do the same thing to express his unhappiness with boys in dresses going into our daughters bathroom and shower in school? Bet the new sissy NFL would suspend him.
WWI
But it was not until WWII they they did it at all sporting events..
That may be true but I was responding to when it started.

They should have them at graduation services if that is the case...it would seem to make more sense if recruitment was the goal; Probably 1/2 of the people at an NFL game are not age-eligible to join.

The costs, the pollution, and the danger factor to metropolitan areas and to the crew itself is reason enough to ixnay them. But people like them because the same reason they vote for Trump; there is a gee-whiz factor to them.

So let me ask: when are you going to protest military air shows? The Blue Angles would certainly be disappointed. They were here just last weekend. I loved every second of their show.

Something else that needs to stop...yesterday. As for the Blue Angels being disappointed; I'm sure they will get over it if the military were to cancel it.

Something else that needs to stop...yesterday. As for the Blue Angels being disappointed; I'm sure they will get over it if the military were to cancel it.

Okay, so let me see if I have this right:

The daredevils of these machines perform acts that entertain the people who attend, while at the same time, honing their skills for battle.

The cities welcome these performers with open arms and enjoy the profit that accompanies the show.

The sellout crowds are more than willing to take that less than 1% risk they will be harmed or killed watching these amazing stunts, and reinforces their pride of being an American.

But you want all this stopped.

So this brings up that age old question: why is it when liberals don't want to participate in something, they believe that nobody else should either?

They really need to stop praying or thanking God.

As if God cares.

Dear hazlnut
studies on faith and prayer
will show you a positive correlation with better health
while unforgiveness and resentment/rejection/stress that comes with it
correlates with greater risk and increase of sickness and disease.

The people who pray and thank God
report improved ability to work with others and adverse situations to solve problems.

Do you really have a problem with people using such methods
to experience better success and health and life?

That you would even wish for people to stop doing
what helps them to be better people and live better lives?

How selfish is that?
Just because you don't get something out of it,
you don't want others to either???

FUN FACT:

Our "National Anthem" is only the first verse of the a much longer and somewhat boring song The Star Spangled Banner.

O! say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O! long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Most Americans couldn't explain the meaning of the lyrics - what specifically is he talking about.

hazlnut et al
Here's a clear explanation of the contested verses that have led to rejection of the National Anthem:

Houston Chronicle writer Kathleen McKinney cited the website American Historama in defense of an alternative explanation. Indeed it states:
  • The Star Spangled Banner lyrics “the hireling ” refers to the British use of Mercenaries (German Hessians) in the American War of Independence

• The Star Spangled Banner lyrics “...and slave” is a direct reference to the British practice of Impressment (kidnapping American seamen and forcing them into service on British man-of war ships). This was a Important cause of the War of 1812
  • Francis Scott Key then describes the Star Spangled Banner as a symbol of triumph over all adversity
As a Snopes article rightly argues, the verse (written in the nineteenth century and out of popular usage for over a century) could very well refer to the British practice of impressment:

In fairness, it has also been argued that Key may have intended the phrase as a reference to the British Navy's practice of impressment (kidnapping sailors and forcing them to fight in defense of the crown), or as a semi-metaphorical slap at the British invading force as a whole (which included a large number of mercenaries), though the latter line of thinking suggests an even stronger alternative theory — namely, that the word “hirelings” refers literally to mercenaries and “slaves” refers literally to slaves. It doesn't appear that Francis Scott Key ever specified what he did mean by the phrase, nor does its context point to a single, definitive interpretation.

In addition to Key never clarifying what he meant by the verse, there is further ambiguity due to the fact that the song's adoption as the national anthem by a 1931 act didn't specify a particular arrangement.

Forum List

Back