How many hours must minimum-wage earners work to afford rent?

The question is,how much of that did you save?
By the time I hit thirty I was making around $55,000. and that was almost twenty years ago,and I didnt graduate either. On top of that most Americans would have been working for six years by the time you got your first job. Whats up with that? If you dont mind me asking.
It's all about how bad you want to succeed.

Haven't saved much, to be honest. I was renting for five years, though, and moved back home when I bought my car. Am ahead on the repayments, though.
Got my first job at Macca's at the age of 22. Had been through a really rough time at school, had zero confidence, needed a long break to get used to being around people again, trusting them. Hence I am still in the same job, all these years later. Have had a paper round before, which I enjoyed, but I didn't have a big enough trolley so could only deliver small amounts of product.

If only I could win the lottery...I'd have my own business.

120 hours a week? is that even possible? :eek:

It would only leave 6.8 hours a day for sleep, but it would be possible.

It is possible for short stretches.

I've lived on 4 hours sleep a night for a few months at a time.

Its not healthy. And if you say 6.8 hours for sleep, its not, really. That's family time, showering, shopping, bill paying, your own personal time. Knock off at least another three to four hours.

So you want to have your own business, but instead of doing anything to increase your income and save money to have a chance at it you are content to flip burgers the rest of your life and hope you win the lottery.

Sounds like a business plan to me.

OMFG Noomi. After all that posturing you live with mommy, have no savings and play the stupid tax game.

It would only leave 6.8 hours a day for sleep, but it would be possible.

It is possible for short stretches.

I've lived on 4 hours sleep a night for a few months at a time.

Its not healthy. And if you say 6.8 hours for sleep, its not, really. That's family time, showering, shopping, bill paying, your own personal time. Knock off at least another three to four hours.

For short stretches it won't really affect your health.

I did it for years on and off when I was flipping houses and working full time and I'm healthy as a horse

There is nothing sacred about the 8 hours sleep or the 40 hour work week.

As i said no one who has ever accomplished anything in their lives only ever worked 40 hours a week.

So you want to have your own business, but instead of doing anything to increase your income and save money to have a chance at it you are content to flip burgers the rest of your life and hope you win the lottery.

Sounds like a business plan to me.

Of course I am not content. No one would be. But until I can find something else, this is all I have, and one must make the best of what they have. :)

Actually no. We have tons of students here who have graduated university but still struggle to find work in the area they are qualified in.
The existence of students struggling to find work doesn't preclude the fact the average lifetime earnings for someone with college degree are much higher than someone with just a high school diploma.

IncomeByEducation.png

I have only been working for eight years, and at the age of 30, and not graduating High School, my life earnings so far are at least $200,000.

I don't think that is too bad?

When I was 30 I had already been working at least 40 hours a week for 15 years.

How is a teenager that young allowed to work a 40 hour week?

I lied about my age.

That is illegal...and the business owner should have done a check.

He did. I used my dead older brother's birth certificate.

I am glad I worked as much as i did I have no regrets and don't believe I missed anything. In fact when I quit high school at 17 I has more money in the bank than most of my teachers.

Work is a good thing not something to be tolerated for 8 hours a day.

Of course I am not content. No one would be. But until I can find something else, this is all I have, and one must make the best of what they have. :)

I disagree, you've indicated in the past you'd turn down an opportunity at management. That indicates an unwillingness to make personal sacrifice for potential gain, that gain being management experience, opportunity for further advancement, and more pay.

content =

So you understand what I mean about my not wanting to become manager? Its a shit job, and even if I was paid triple, I wouldn't accept it.

Normal workers get overtime, but managers don't - I wouldn't be a manager for anything. Its a shitty job, I have seen it, and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

How is a teenager that young allowed to work a 40 hour week?

I lied about my age.

It depends really. Worked 25 at a "job", then mowed lawns, shoveled snow, anything I could to save some money to fix up the car I bought so it would be ready when I turned 16.

Was probably close to 40 a week. Also kept me out of trouble.

I worked the 4 to midnight shift in a restaurant Mon - Fri on Saturdays I worked noon to midnight and then filled in on the breakfast shift on Sundays if I was needed

I was in foster care so I had to be careful about hiding my money from my foster wardens they didn't care if I wasn't in the house but they certainly would have taken my money

By the time I hit thirty I was making around $55,000. and that was almost twenty years ago,and I didnt graduate either. On top of that most Americans would have been working for six years by the time you got your first job. Whats up with that? If you dont mind me asking.

Haven't saved much, to be honest. I was renting for five years, though, and moved back home when I bought my car. Am ahead on the repayments, though.
Got my first job at Macca's at the age of 22. Had been through a really rough time at school, had zero confidence, needed a long break to get used to being around people again, trusting them. Hence I am still in the same job, all these years later. Have had a paper round before, which I enjoyed, but I didn't have a big enough trolley so could only deliver small amounts of product.

Please tell me you dont play the lottery.
Sounds like you dont want to leave your comfort zone. Starting a new line of work is nerve racking but you get over it.
I think it has to do with mentality honestly. I was always looking for that better job and more money. And I found it to be less nerve racking as I gained more experience and confidence.
Once you get the ball rolling it's easier to push.

I started working in the womb. My parents couldn't afford to pay me, so a neighbor had to carry me to term.

My social security number is 7. If I add up my years of gainful employment and my years of education, I would have to be 112 years old, but I'm "only" 64.

Never be the first bullshitter. Someone will always top you.

I started working in the womb. My parents couldn't afford to pay me, so a neighbor had to carry me to term.

My social security number is 7. If I add up my years of gainful employment and my years of education, I would have to be 112 years old, but I'm "only" 64.

If you think everything people say here is bullshit then why are you here?

You must like bullshit huh?

Try being born to a poor family. Seriously a bunch of fun

The car I referenced was pulled from a junk yard. It was pretty sweet when I was done with it.

I'm sorry you went through a bad time, really. Life can be tough sometimes

Before you spouted off how great you had it over us yanks maybe you should have known more facts. Once you gave your age I went to last years taxes. At 21 my daughter is a full time college student, partime server and made more money than you last year. My 24 year server son made more than twice you did last year working a 40-50 hour week (you have to sneak to get overtime) he bought his first home and they both have bought cars, both have substantial savings, and both paid a modest rent when living at home.

Point being they make for more than minimum wage and they don't grovel. They take charge and looked to their future. That's what makes a success.

eta.... Is Mecca's McDonalds?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back