How One Man Is Redefining 'Responsible' Gun Ownership

Dear Lakhota,

The plural of anecdote is anecdotes...not data.

If these folks are gun owners, and they are dumb enough to destroy their means of self defense to make a point, it's America, and they have that right...it's their property and they can do with it as they see fit.

It doesn't make it any less stupid. If they are responsible gun owners, their guns weren't going to hurt anyone except in self defense. So the net sum of their actions is that the world is a less safe place.

It sort of pisses me off that all my guns will outlive me.

i do not believe you have any guns, got proof? show'em if you got'em !!

IF you really do have any gun(s) send one to each of us true patriots, then you will know they are being held by responsible gun owners/enthusiasts. :up:

ooooh! i get first pick as it is my idea on how you can get rid of them..., OK ??

Do you also consider people who don't own guns morons?

No.

So, a person who has a gun and gets rid of it becomes a moron? But a person who doesn't own guns is not a moron?

No, a person who destroys a gun for a political message is a moron. A person who sells the gun to a responsible buyer, or someone who chooses not to have a gun is merely defenseless. Their choice, their consequence for their action. A moron like you though, can't see the difference.

Fuck you! It's radical NRA gun nutters like you that are hurting responsible gun owners - but you're too rabid to see it.

I'm not a member of the NRA silly person. Never have been. However, unlike you who claim to, I actually DO own guns, and and a lot of them. I have also never used a single one of them to kill anyone, or anything. I sincerely hope I never have to. However, in the highly unlikely event that it does occur, I will be ready to defend myself and those I love and care about. You on the other hand will wait for the police and suffer for your idiocy.

Funny. I wouldn't recommend that you try breaking into my house. I just love to hear you John Wayne types talk all your tough shit. Reminds me when House Republicans were literally crying after McCarthy announced he was dropping out of the Speaker race. Crying! So funny...

IF you really do have any gun(s) send one to each of us true patriots, then you will know they are being held by responsible gun owners/enthusiasts. :up:

ooooh! i get first pick as it is my idea on how you can get rid of them..., OK ??

You cowardly scumbags are certainly not "true" patriots. You're just a bunch of stupid radicals.

56192f981400002200c79a2c.jpeg

A lifelong gun owner explains why he is destroying his gun.

Usually, "responsible gun ownership" refers to someone using their weapon safely. But for lifelong gun owner Steve Elliott, it means taking responsibility for America’s epidemic of gun violence and the lax regulations that have allowed it.

That is how Elliott, who owns a copywriting and public relations agency in Northern California, explained his decision to destroy his handgun in a Facebook post on Monday. By early Saturday afternoon, more than 28,000 people had shared the post, which included a photo of his disassembled 9mm Ruger handgun.

Elliott describes himself as a quintessential example of the responsible gun owner, using firearms only for sport and protection. He decided to destroy his gun not because of anything he has done personally but because he is fed up with how the concept of “responsible” gun ownership has been used to block gun safety laws.

“My gun is being used to argue against common-sense laws and policies that could reduce gun violence in America, arguments I find unconscionable,” Elliott wrote. “That’s what being a responsible gun owner means today – I’m responsible. I’ve been uneasy about that for a while now, and ashamed to admit it’s taken two more mass shootings for me to do anything about it.”

Though he has never used his weapon to hurt himself or others, Elliott wrote that his life has been scarred by gun violence. His grandmother used a gun to kill herself; his father attempted suicide with a gun and someone murdered his stepbrother with a gun before committing suicide. His sister’s coworker lost her husband to a mass shooting.

“None of us individually can stop gun violence in America, but as a responsible gun owner, I will no longer be used as a justification for doing nothing about it,” Elliott concluded. “Today I did what I could. Today there is #ONELESSGUN.”

Other gun control advocates have taken a different approach, mobilizing gun owners who support gun control in order to show that the National Rifle Association's opposition to virtually all regulation does not represent them.

Andy Nieto of eastern Tennessee also got rid of his guns out of disgust with the NRA after the 2012 Newtown, Connecticut, massacre. He turned his pistol into a paperweight.

5619568b1400002200c79a3b.jpeg

I applaud Steve Elliott and Andy Nieto for getting rid of their guns out of disgust with the NRA. I've been disgusted with the NRA since radicals took it over in 1977. Although I'm not ready to dispose of my guns, I agree that it's up to responsible gun owners to bring about change by fighting back against the NRA lobbying machine. BTW, archery is fun.

How NRA’s true believers converted a marksmanship group into a mighty gun lobby
Hello Washington redskin nice to ya.

Well, this guy has no credibility... He's from Cali.

So, a person who has a gun and gets rid of it becomes a moron? But a person who doesn't own guns is not a moron?

No, a person who destroys a gun for a political message is a moron. A person who sells the gun to a responsible buyer, or someone who chooses not to have a gun is merely defenseless. Their choice, their consequence for their action. A moron like you though, can't see the difference.

Fuck you! It's radical NRA gun nutters like you that are hurting responsible gun owners - but you're too rabid to see it.

I'm not a member of the NRA silly person. Never have been. However, unlike you who claim to, I actually DO own guns, and and a lot of them. I have also never used a single one of them to kill anyone, or anything. I sincerely hope I never have to. However, in the highly unlikely event that it does occur, I will be ready to defend myself and those I love and care about. You on the other hand will wait for the police and suffer for your idiocy.

Funny. I wouldn't recommend that you try breaking into my house. I just love to hear you John Wayne types talk all your tough shit. Reminds me when House Republicans were literally crying after McCarthy announced he was dropping out of the Speaker race. Crying! So funny...

Yeah sure internet tough guy. You're so full of shit I am surprised you can walk. You're not a gun owner. You're a factual posturer. You lack fundamental knowledge of firearms, and you are the very definition of progressive anti gun hysterical loon. Here you go, this is my carry piece. Let's see you post a picture of one of yours within ten minutes.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    656.1 KB · Views: 71

You cowardly scumbags are certainly not "true" patriots. You're just a bunch of stupid radicals.

And yet we're not the ones trying to alter the COTUS of the USA which has been the defining document of this country for over two hundred years! You're the loon dude!

Yeah sure internet tough guy. You're so full of shit I am surprised you can walk. You're not a gun owner. You're a factual posturer. You lack fundamental knowledge of firearms, and you are the very definition of progressive anti gun hysterical loon. Here you go, this is my carry piece. Let's see you post a picture of one of yours within ten minutes.

I don't carry. Plus, I prefer revolvers - like my Model 19 .357 S&W.

Last edited:

westwall Is that a Star Arms BKM?

westwall Is that a Star Arms BKM?

Firestar in .40 S&W. I've been carrying it for over 20 years now.

Yes, a moron who has not made the world a safer place.

Do you also consider people who don't own guns morons?

No.

Responsible gun owners should never have to worry about idiots like you taking them away. But those are the people you're going after so fuck you. You will get nothing in new laws and fucking learn to live with it.

Usually, "responsible gun ownership" refers to someone using their weapon safely. But for lifelong gun owner Steve Elliott, it means taking responsibility for America’s epidemic of gun violence and the lax regulations that have allowed it.

That is how Elliott, who owns a copywriting and public relations agency in Northern California, explained his decision to destroy his handgun in a Facebook post on Monday. By early Saturday afternoon, more than 28,000 people had shared the post, which included a photo of his disassembled 9mm Ruger handgun.

Elliott describes himself as a quintessential example of the responsible gun owner, using firearms only for sport and protection. He decided to destroy his gun not because of anything he has done personally but because he is fed up with how the concept of “responsible” gun ownership has been used to block gun safety laws.

“My gun is being used to argue against common-sense laws and policies that could reduce gun violence in America, arguments I find unconscionable,” Elliott wrote. “That’s what being a responsible gun owner means today – I’m responsible. I’ve been uneasy about that for a while now, and ashamed to admit it’s taken two more mass shootings for me to do anything about it.”

Though he has never used his weapon to hurt himself or others, Elliott wrote that his life has been scarred by gun violence. His grandmother used a gun to kill herself; his father attempted suicide with a gun and someone murdered his stepbrother with a gun before committing suicide. His sister’s coworker lost her husband to a mass shooting.

“None of us individually can stop gun violence in America, but as a responsible gun owner, I will no longer be used as a justification for doing nothing about it,” Elliott concluded. “Today I did what I could. Today there is #ONELESSGUN.”

Other gun control advocates have taken a different approach, mobilizing gun owners who support gun control in order to show that the National Rifle Association's opposition to virtually all regulation does not represent them.

Andy Nieto of eastern Tennessee also got rid of his guns out of disgust with the NRA after the 2012 Newtown, Connecticut, massacre. He turned his pistol into a paperweight.

I applaud Steve Elliott and Andy Nieto for getting rid of their guns out of disgust with the NRA. I've been disgusted with the NRA since radicals took it over in 1977. Although I'm not ready to dispose of my guns, I agree that it's up to responsible gun owners to bring about change by fighting back against the NRA lobbying machine. BTW, archery is fun.

So...a. guy who didn't shoot anyone or use his gun to commit a crime is getting rid of his to stop gun violence....why...he is a fucking moron....what he needs to do is to figure out how to get the gang members who do most of the gun murder to get rid of their guns...........

When he is murdered by a gun wielding thug.....maybe he will realize his mistake before he dies....

He's making a statement by this action, I'm sure everybody that believes in freedom of speech will support him even if they are ardent opponents of gun control.

It's his gun, he can do whatever he wants with it...the gesture...and that is all it is, since he didn't use it for crime...is fucking retarded......

It sort of pisses me off that all my guns will outlive me. I may just destroy the little bastards before I bite the dust.

Please...destroy your guns....you are a dangerous person who should not own guns.

Forum List

Back