How To Be A Good Christian

You need to read the Bible, Dante'. Your OP is flawed. Jesus Christ offered salvation to the Samaritan woman at the well. She was not a Jew. He invited her to ask for the living waters he spoke of. Read the verses below - Jesus preached to the woman at the well - was she a Jew? No. Read up. It's right here......... start reading at verse 7 and keep reading............

John 4 King James Version (KJV)

When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

3 He left Judaea, and departed again into Galilee.

4 And he must needs go through Samaria.

5 Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph.

6 Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour.

7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.

8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)

9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.

10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?

12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle?

13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:

14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw.

16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.

17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:

18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.

19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet.

20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.

21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.

22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.

27 And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?

28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,

29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

30 Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.

31 In the mean while his disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat.

32 But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of.

33 Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat?

34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

36 And he that reapeth receiveth wages, and gathereth fruit unto life eternal: that both he that soweth and he that reapeth may rejoice together.

37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth.

38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

39 And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on him for the saying of the woman, which testified, He told me all that ever I did.

40 So when the Samaritans were come unto him, they besought him that he would tarry with them: and he abode there two days.

41 And many more believed because of his own word;

42 And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.

43 Now after two days he departed thence, and went into Galilee.

44 For Jesus himself testified, that a prophet hath no honour in his own country.

45 Then when he was come into Galilee, the Galilaeans received him, having seen all the things that he did at Jerusalem at the feast: for they also went unto the feast.

46 So Jesus came again into Cana of Galilee, where he made the water wine. And there was a certain nobleman, whose son was sick at Capernaum.

47 When he heard that Jesus was come out of Judaea into Galilee, he went unto him, and besought him that he would come down, and heal his son: for he was at the point of death.

48 Then said Jesus unto him, Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe.

49 The nobleman saith unto him, Sir, come down ere my child die.

50 Jesus saith unto him, Go thy way; thy son liveth. And the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken unto him, and he went his way.

51 And as he was now going down, his servants met him, and told him, saying, Thy son liveth.

52 Then enquired he of them the hour when he began to amend. And they said unto him, Yesterday at the seventh hour the fever left him.

53 So the father knew that it was at the same hour, in the which Jesus said unto him, Thy son liveth: and himself believed, and his whole house.

54 This is again the second miracle that Jesus did, when he was come out of Judaea into Galilee.

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain

Last edited:
A reply

The Bible does not tell anyone how to be a good Christian.

and

The supposed historical Jesus Christ was a Jew, preaching only to Jews, and his earliest followers before, during, and after his death were all Jews​

Instructions for being a follower of God, "a good Christian":

Ephesians 5 King James Version (KJV)

1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth.

10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

33 Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain

A reply

The Bible does not tell anyone how to be a good Christian.

and

The supposed historical Jesus Christ was a Jew, preaching only to Jews, and his earliest followers before, during, and after his death were all Jews​

The Bible does not say here are the rules for being a good Christian in those exact words. Jesus DID say to use him as a model on how to treat others. He was God in human flesh (obviously, not everyone believes this).

Can you think of something Jesus did that you feel was morally wrong?

Jeremiah your messages and cases in defense of Christianity and Christ would be more impactful if not so long. I'm not saying that to be mean, but helpful. If you really want to reach people...

This thread is hardly worth a response since it is obvious the OP knows little of his subject matter. The Bible has many passages related to how to serve God but the main point to be made is that salvation is of faith only and not of works. It appears the OP wishes to have someone provide him with a list of works one can perform that will lead to salvation. There aren't any. Salvation is a free gift.

Do you have anything else or was that in the OP?
for the record-------SAMARITANs practice a sect of Judaism

That does not change the fact that they were not Jewish. They also had paganism in their background. Again - it isn't relevant. To emphasize the point that Jesus did minister to Gentiles we have the story of the Phoenician woman and her daughter who was healed, Rosie.

On the subject of Samaritans? We have the story of the Good Samaritan and then there is this:
Hatred Between Jews and Samaritans

There are countless modern parallels to the Jewish-Samaritan enmity—indeed, wherever peoples are divided by racial and ethnic barriers. Perhaps that’s why the Gospels and Acts provide so many instances of Samaritans coming into contact with the message of Jesus. It is not the person from the radically different culture on the other side of the world that is hardest to love, but the nearby neighbor whose skin color, language, rituals, values, ancestry, history, and customs are different from one’s own.

Jews had no dealings with the Samaritans. With whom do you have no dealings'

You need to read the Bible, Dante'. Your OP is flawed. Jesus Christ offered salvation to the Samaritan woman at the well. She was not a Jew. He invited her to ask for the living waters he spoke of. Read the verses below - Jesus preached to the woman at the well - was she a Jew? No. Read up. It's right here......... start reading at verse 7 and keep reading............

When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain
The Eastern Orthodox Church is what got me interested in this subject of Christianity. I was in my late 20s.
I know a little about the woman and her commenting on the coming of the Messiah.

What was the coming of the Messiah about? Was it a shared myth or a strictly Hebrew myth?

Forget about the canonical and synoptic gospels that come long after Jesus

This thread is hardly worth a response since it is obvious the OP knows little of his subject matter. The Bible has many passages related to how to serve God but the main point to be made is that salvation is of faith only and not of works. It appears the OP wishes to have someone provide him with a list of works one can perform that will lead to salvation. There aren't any. Salvation is a free gift.

Dante' wasn't aware that Jesus had preached to a woman at the well who was not Jewish. How can he know this if he does not hear the Gospel? It's good to share the truth with those who do not know it. Dante' was told by someone that the bible didn't give Christians instructions on how to live - how to be a "good Christian".. Again. How will Dante' know the truth if someone does not show him in Scripture that we are taught how to be followers of God? (Jesus Christ is God) How would he know? He will only know if we show him in Scripture what the Bible says.

Then he can have all the facts and make an informed decision about whether or not he'd like to become a child of God or reject the offer of salvation God has given the world through His Only begotten Son, Jesus Christ.

SassyIrishLass
Of course the Bible instructs on being Christian. Good grief
The Old Testament or the canonical and synoptic gospels? The gospels come long after Jesus' death. They are NOT his words. He wrote nothing down as far as we know. Odd, eh?

Jesus (supposed) talks lots but leaves behind no writings?

The gospels in the Bibles are not the only bibles of their time. There were others that were suppressed. The Council of Nicea? Ever heard of it?

This thread is hardly worth a response since it is obvious the OP knows little of his subject matter.
The OP will admit to knowing less than many bible study geeks about the bible.

But the OP did some research on the Early Church Fathers, the christian movement before it's split/crack ups, and the times of the early followers of the Jesus message before and up to the Council of Nicea

King James Version (KJV)
by Public Domain
The Eastern Orthodox Church is what got me interested in this subject of Christianity. I was in my late 20s.
I know a little about the woman and her commenting on the coming of the Messiah.

What was the coming of the Messiah about? Was it a shared myth or a strictly Hebrew myth?

Forget about the canonical and synoptic gospels that come long after Jesus

Sure, it was in Malachi, Dante. Malachi is the final book of the Old Testament before the New Testament begins with the book of Matthew. As the bible is not in chronological order there is a significance in why the LORD had Malachi as the book before the New Testament begins!

The name Malachi means messenger. Malachi was God's messenger to warn the Jews. They no longer took the law seriously. They flaunted the laws of God. Sin was rampant. They doubted God's love, the doubted, they accused God of being unjust. Both the priests and the people were in rebellion against God. They had a form - lifeless rituals - empty words - their hearts had departed from the Lord. Malachi warns them the the Lord whom they seek will come - As a Refiners Fire!

Who is the messenger who will prepare the way of the Lord? John the Baptist. Who did John the Baptist prepare the way for? Jesus Christ.

This thread is hardly worth a response since it is obvious the OP knows little of his subject matter.
The OP will admit to knowing less than many bible study geeks about the bible.

But the OP did some research on the Early Church Fathers, the christian movement before it's split/crack ups, and the times of the early followers of the Jesus message before and up to the Council of Nicea

The Catholic church has nothing to do with Christianity other than that it is the counterfeit Satan set up in order to deceive the people, Dante'. Just toss out everything you've been told and let's go back to the Bible where the truth is at.

I find your interest to be refreshing! I'm glad for the opportunity to share a few things with you! Thank you!

The Bible does not say here are the rules for being a good Christian in those exact words. Jesus DID say to use him as a model on how to treat others. He was God in human flesh (obviously, not everyone believes this).

Can you think of something Jesus did that you feel was morally wrong?
I have no idea who the supposed Christ was. Little too nothing exists on a historical Jesus. No written words of his own. A few books that claim to now his spoken words. All of the books share things, yet contradict each other. There were other books that strayed far from the gospels that a group of Bishops decided would be the only true gospels. There is no clear message in the gospels, but the Old Testament Bible is very clear on many things.

Sure, it was in Malachi, Dante. Malachi is the final book of the Old Testament before the New Testament..
during my research/studies of Christianity
It always struck me how pathetically arrogant it was of Christians to lecture the world on the book of the Hebrews. And insulting. I've known people who studied seriously in seminaries and monasteries, who had the unmitigated gall to attack Jews on their understanding of the Hebrew Bible

Forum List

Back