How To Have A Productive Discussion

(1) State facts
(2) State opinions, BUT, specify that it is your opinion (explaining why is helpful)
(3) State evidences and supports to your statements
...lastly

(4) DON'T MAKE ANYTHING PERSONAL OR NEGATIVE!... why? because it puts the person on the defensive and then the discussion goes off the rails.

It might not be as much fun, but you might actually get somewhere!

That is pretty much the model I always try to follow.

What I run into is that liberals think that calling someone a "Racist" is stating a "fact" and "supporting evidence", and don't understand why regular people take it as an uncalled for insult.

That is not exactly true Correll. You and I had engaged in several heated discussions most of your post are abusive.
If you don't want to be called racist then you should stop posting hatred against minorities. Then when people ( like me ) attacked you ----- You don't like it.

I do tried to engage in a decent discussion as much as I can but lots of members are not reasonable, no longer capable or just plain hopeless.

Most of my posts are abusive because most liberals can't engage in more than one or two posts before they start vilely smearing me with false accusations.

Thus, past that point, as they keep up their vile lies, I call them on it, and insult them back.

I do not make false accusations or lie. I post reality and facts for my own integrity.

Last one was about Trade Deficits and NAFTA. You don't even know what in the world you were talking about.
You totally sold your soul and principles to Trump. You are willing to go to trade war with Mexico and Canada. You accepted and willingness to increase prices of ALL repeat ALL commodities and services across the board just for the sake of Trump.
How sad is that?

(1) State facts
(2) State opinions, BUT, specify that it is your opinion (explaining why is helpful)
...lastly

(4) DON'T MAKE ANYTHING PERSONAL OR NEGATIVE!... why? because it puts the person on the defensive and then the discussion goes off the rails.

What I run into is that liberals think that calling someone a "Racist" is stating a "fact" and "supporting evidence", and don't understand why regular people take it as an uncalled for insult.

That is not exactly true Correll. You and I had engaged in several heated discussions most of your post are abusive.
If you don't want to be called racist then you should stop posting hatred against minorities. Then when people ( like me ) attacked you ----- You don't like it.

I do tried to engage in a decent discussion as much as I can but lots of members are not reasonable, no longer capable or just plain hopeless.

Most of my posts are abusive because most liberals can't engage in more than one or two posts before they start vilely smearing me with false accusations.

Thus, past that point, as they keep up their vile lies, I call them on it, and insult them back.

I do not make false accusations or lie. I post reality and facts for my own integrity.

Last one was about Trade Deficits and NAFTA. You don't even know what in the world you were talking about.
You totally sold your soul and principles to Trump. You are willing to go to trade war with Mexico and Canada. You accepted and willingness to increase prices of ALL repeat ALL commodities and services across the board just for the sake of Trump.
How sad is that?

And it is beyond your comprehension that I could disagree with you, without, being a bad person, or that you could make your arguments for your position without personally attacking me.

That was my point, and you just proved it.

Thanks.

And normally, you liberals are MORE insulting than you were right there.

(1) State facts
...lastly

How sad is that?

And it is beyond your comprehension that I could disagree with you, without, being a bad person, or that you could make your arguments for your position without personally attacking me.

Thanks.

I did not insult you. I'm just being honest and telling you what you are Correll.

How sad is that?

Thanks.

I did not insult you. I'm just being honest and telling you what you are Correll.

Like I said, the idea of disagreeing on matters of policy and issues without including personal insults is literally incomprehensible to you.

As this is common among so called "liberals", productive discussions are nearly impossible.

Calling someone stupid is counter productive. If you make the look stupid, that is okay

(1) State facts
...lastly

I sure wish Democrat libtards would follow this advice instead of plotting to destroy America and turn it over to the darkies!

How sad is that?

Thanks.

Like I said, the idea of disagreeing on matters of policy and issues without including personal insults is literally incomprehensible to you.

As this is common among so called "liberals", productive discussions are nearly impossible.

Truth hurts you Correll? This is not about liberals or conservative Correll----- This is about common sense and what is right for Americans.

Again our last discussion we had was NAFTA and Trade deficits. I explained to you the consequences if NAFTA and Trade deficits failed.
Because you have zero intelligence rebuttal ------- YOU RESPONDED ------- YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY THE HIGH $ PRICE JUST BECAUSE OF TRUMP.

( I really hate to mention this but ) ----- How fucking stupid is that?
So tell me how am I supposed to deal with you? Or respond to you?
Tell me. I really wanted to know.
Tell me please. Where I'm wrong?

21743054_1834521813242412_1103690713757094369_n.jpg

How sad is that?

Thanks.

Truth hurts you Correll? This is not about liberals or conservative Correll----- This is about common sense and what is right for Americans.

Again our last discussion we had was NAFTA and Trade deficits. I explained to you the consequences if NAFTA and Trade deficits failed.
Because you have zero intelligence rebuttal ------- YOU RESPONDED ------- YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY THE HIGH $ PRICE JUST BECAUSE OF TRUMP.

NOte, how to prove that my point about liberals being unable to disagree on matters of policy without including personal insults,

you cite a previous policy disagreement and personally insult me.

I really don't understand why it is so hard to concede to someone when they make a good point.

Just because they do doesn't mean that ultimately you are wrong, there can always be counter arguments.... and, even if not, it SHOULD make you think about your stance.

This is how you learn....

(1) State facts
...lastly

Number 4 is the best part....wtf

(1) State facts
...lastly

Number 4 is the best part....wtf

It's what people do when they are losing an argument....

Been there done that, too often. Schopenhauer has a article on how to win an argument and it covers the usual stuff. My favorite is equivalency, simply compare one action to another and you've won. Not sure if Arthur has that one, but it must be there. Another favorite author of mine is Stanley Fish, "What you believe is what you see is what you know is what you do is what you are." See his piece below, there is no use asking that posters follow any rule or guideline. People aren't made that way. Oh and look up Agnotology sometime, it's all around us today on tough topics.

This is from some time ago. And you know that how?

"Liberals and progressives have been slow to realize that their preferred vocabulary has been hijacked and that when they respond to once - hallowed phrases they are responding to a ghost now animated by a new machine, The point is not a small one, for in any debate, especially one fought in the arena of public opinion, the battle is won not by knock - down arguments but by the party that succeeds in placing its own spin on the terms presiding over the discussion. That's what the conservatives in and out of Congress have managed to do with old war horses like "individual" and so long as they are allowed to get away with it, the opposition will spend its time insisting that it too is for the individual or for color-blindness or equal opportunity - and before we know it all the plovers will be dead and all the subcontractors will once again be white." Stanley Fish, 'The Trouble with Principle' (How the Right Hijacked the Magic Words)

I'm reading 'The Twilight of Common Dreams: Why America Is Wracked by Culture Wars' by Todd Gitlin, amazing the power money and especially corporate money has on debate and thought. 'Dark Money' is an excellent read too, but I am getting off topic.

"Reasoning is generally seen as a means to improve knowledge and make better decisions. However, much evidence shows that reasoning often leads to epistemic distortions and poor decisions. This suggests that the function of reasoning should be rethought. Our hypothesis is that the function of reasoning is argumentative. It is to devise and evaluate arguments intended to persuade. Reasoning so conceived is adaptive given the exceptional dependence of humans on communication and their vulnerability to misinformation." Why Do Humans Reason? Arguments for an Argumentative Theory by Hugo Mercier, Dan Sperber :: SSRN

Been there done that, too often. Schopenhauer has a article on how to win an argument ...N

And the leftist reads "have a productive discussion" and sees "how to win an argument".

Also, a lefty complaining about spin or redefining words?

gjx1b.jpg

How sad is that?

Thanks.

NOte, how to prove that my point about liberals being unable to disagree on matters of policy without including personal insults,

you cite a previous policy disagreement and personally insult me.

Truth hurts. Instead of standing with your unreasonable ground ---- As a man why not just say admit it's an error on your part or you just don't understand the Trade deficits or NAFTA. Not just blanketly saying ------ You will pay for the high $ price across the board just because of Trump. Since when that is acceptable? How about the poor Americans that are suffering right now trying to get by? Is that acceptable?

I made a mistake in supporting ANTIFA and I admitted it as lack on my part for not researching. That is called INTEGRITY.

Forum List

Back