How Trump spent the war years

Is it possible to respect what McCain did without giving him a lifetime pass to be an idiot. Trump made a terrible comment but McCain has made multiple terrible comments and supported far too many turds coming out of Washington. I respect his service and admire his strength in an unbelievably difficult time. However, he does not receive a a pass from criticism on policy that affects us all. He is a war hero who is a terrible representative.

If Trump wanted to attack McCains record for vets, it is fair game even though McCain has been fighting for vets for 40 years and Trump has been doing it for two weeks

But to sneer at McCains time as a POW as not being worthy of being a hero is unforgivable
I understand the temptation to lump all experiences together when reflecting on a conversation. In our soundbite world, it is easy to pick apart something that was spoken in the heat of the moment. Anytime McCain makes a bonehead statement or supports a bill/person that is controversial, the "War Hero" mantra is turned up to 11. He wears it, whether intentionally or not, as a cloak that makes him immune to criticism. I think Trump was simply tired of stepping on egg shells and made a bonehead comment of his own. I don't even think Trump supports what Trump said.

I do believe that Trump is saying some things that need to be heard. Discounting his views would be a mistake. I also feel he is far too egocentric to be president. Anyone who cares more about their name/legacy has no place in the White House.
John McCain has fought for veterans his whole life. Trump has been doing it for two weeks

That Republucans think Trumpis a better representative of veterans issues is a travesty
McCain has fought for his version of what is best for Veterans. While it is admirable, SO WHAT? That's what he SHOULD be doing. Why does he get a gold star for doing his job? Why is he more revered for that than anybody doing the right thing. When you start to put people on pedestals shots will be taken. Trump took a stupid shot and should be admonished, not trivialized.
As a Senator, McCain fights for what is achievable politically for veterans. He has been at the forefront of every single veterans initiative over the last twenty years

Trump could have picked a better target. There are 99 other senators who do not do as well
Unless you are actually John McCain or delusional I can't see how your statement is supportable? McCain voted against increasing Vetrans Health Funding at least 4 times, over 28 separate times against veterans bills for additional benefits, Outsourcing VA jobs and he opposed the GI bill because "it is too generous". He has made many very good stands for veterans as well. But to say that every other Senator is worse is delusional.

What is amazing is that when given the choice of a man who ridicules POWs and a genuine American hero........they side with Trump

Sad commentary on today's Republicans

First of all, you're obviously not actually reading any of the discussions, it's pretty split.

Second, Trump is at 21%, hardly making him a spokesman for the party, so you aren't processing the data either. And most of those aren't agreeing with that particular statement, they just aren't dumping him over one statement.

And third of all, you VOTED FOR Kerry, who called the troops baby murderers and terrorists, your hypocrisy is absolutely flaming

Trump ridiculed ALL POWs

I like the guys who were not captured does not single out McCain. Implying those who were captured somehow took the easy way out

Where is the Republucan outrage?
That was not his point and you know it. He was comparing two forms of heroism. It was a bad comparison.

I am not constantly perched on a limb waiting to be outraged. I, like many I think, was acutely aware that Trump made a stupid comment. He said something that did not come out the way he meant it. I, like many, will move on...
I think it came out EXACTLY as Trump intended. Like a child, he has to come up with a worse insult when someone insults him

He made it clear who he thinks the real heroes are
I am sad for you :( Processing the world with such finality and certainty is an angry an lonely way to live. It is possible to see the good and bad in a person and/or situation without degrading the "right" point of view.
In this case...there is nothing defensible about Trump

Yet Kerry who called the military baby killers and terrorists, that you voted for.

Your indignation is obviously completely fake, big guy. And why weren't you in Vietnam again? That was your age group
Of course he didn't.

But Fox News will be proud that you seem to think so

What is amazing is that when given the choice of a man who ridicules POWs and a genuine American hero........they side with Trump

First of all, you're obviously not actually reading any of the discussions, it's pretty split.

Second, Trump is at 21%, hardly making him a spokesman for the party, so you aren't processing the data either. And most of those aren't agreeing with that particular statement, they just aren't dumping him over one statement.

And third of all, you VOTED FOR Kerry, who called the troops baby murderers and terrorists, your hypocrisy is absolutely flaming

21% AFTER attacking POWs.

If Trump wanted to attack McCains record for vets, it is fair game even though McCain has been fighting for vets for 40 years and Trump has been doing it for two weeks

But to sneer at McCains time as a POW as not being worthy of being a hero is unforgivable
I understand the temptation to lump all experiences together when reflecting on a conversation. In our soundbite world, it is easy to pick apart something that was spoken in the heat of the moment. Anytime McCain makes a bonehead statement or supports a bill/person that is controversial, the "War Hero" mantra is turned up to 11. He wears it, whether intentionally or not, as a cloak that makes him immune to criticism. I think Trump was simply tired of stepping on egg shells and made a bonehead comment of his own. I don't even think Trump supports what Trump said.

I do believe that Trump is saying some things that need to be heard. Discounting his views would be a mistake. I also feel he is far too egocentric to be president. Anyone who cares more about their name/legacy has no place in the White House.
John McCain has fought for veterans his whole life. Trump has been doing it for two weeks

That Republucans think Trumpis a better representative of veterans issues is a travesty
McCain has fought for his version of what is best for Veterans. While it is admirable, SO WHAT? That's what he SHOULD be doing. Why does he get a gold star for doing his job? Why is he more revered for that than anybody doing the right thing. When you start to put people on pedestals shots will be taken. Trump took a stupid shot and should be admonished, not trivialized.
As a Senator, McCain fights for what is achievable politically for veterans. He has been at the forefront of every single veterans initiative over the last twenty years

Trump could have picked a better target. There are 99 other senators who do not do as well
Unless you are actually John McCain or delusional I can't see how your statement is supportable? McCain voted against increasing Vetrans Health Funding at least 4 times, over 28 separate times against veterans bills for additional benefits, Outsourcing VA jobs and he opposed the GI bill because "it is too generous". He has made many very good stands for veterans as well. But to say that every other Senator is worse is delusional.
There are politics in the situation. As a Republican, McCain voted against Democrat supported vets bills....that is the world he lives in

I don't think Trump can win the nomination so I don't care.
Having said that I'll tell you what concerns me more.
A woman who continued to support a man just for political gain despite the fact that that man was a sexual predator who took advantage of young naive women. Then she goes on to say that she fights for women.

THAT displays a clear lack of judgment

That was not his point and you know it. He was comparing two forms of heroism. It was a bad comparison.

I am not constantly perched on a limb waiting to be outraged. I, like many I think, was acutely aware that Trump made a stupid comment. He said something that did not come out the way he meant it. I, like many, will move on...
I think it came out EXACTLY as Trump intended. Like a child, he has to come up with a worse insult when someone insults him

I am sad for you :( Processing the world with such finality and certainty is an angry an lonely way to live. It is possible to see the good and bad in a person and/or situation without degrading the "right" point of view.

Yet Kerry who called the military baby killers and terrorists, that you voted for.

Your indignation is obviously completely fake, big guy. And why weren't you in Vietnam again? That was your age group
Of course he didn't.

What does Fox have to do with anything?

Kerry testified in Congress, big guy, it was in all the news. Were you stoned that decade?

Obviously what McCain said is of zero importance to you, you're just a sad little man, big guy. And why weren't you in Vietnam again that you think Trump should have been there?

21% AFTER attacking POWs.

What was Kerry after attacking the military? You voted for him, you should know

I don't think Trump can win the nomination so I don't care.
Having said that I'll tell you what concerns me more.
A woman who continued to support a man just for political gain despite the fact that that man was a sexual predator who took advantage of young naive women. Then she goes on to say that she fights for women.

THAT displays a clear lack of judgment

Yes, they won't process that one much less lucidly respond to it

Of course he didn't.

Kerry testified in Congress, big guy, it was in all the news. Were you stoned that decade?

Obviously what McCain said is of zero importance to you, you're just a sad little man, big guy. And why weren't you in Vietnam again that you think Trump should have been there?

Oh.....the Fox is strong in this one

Of course he didn't.

Slurping the cum of the liberal media again, are you big guy?

Of course he didn't.

I like Fox. You obviously don't. BFD

You got anymore stupid childish slogans to toss out?

There are politics in the situation. As a Republican, McCain voted against Democrat supported vets bills....that is the world he lives in
Not all Democrat supported bills are bad. Your assertion, not mine, was that McCain was the finest (99 others were worse) Senator in Veterans issues. When I give some examples of veterans issues that he helped thwart you claim politics. I can see there is no point I will make that will turn this from point counterpoint into an actual conversation. Have a nice day!

Of course he didn't.

Apparently Fox scares the shit out of him. Maybe he just can't deal with the contradiction of listening to the media and not just memorizing what they said. He finds that disturbing and he needs a talking point to cope with it

Of course he didn't.

Apparently Fox scares the shit out of him. Maybe he just can't deal with the contradiction of listening to the media and not just memorizing what they said. He finds that disturbing and he needs a talking point to cope with it
The propaganda arm of the Republican Party has you firmly in their grasp

Of course he didn't.

The propaganda arm of the Republican Party has you firmly in their grasp

They do? The bastards. You know what pisses me off is that they are obviously fucking with me. Why are the Republicans conditioning me to be a libertarian? If they are controlling me, why don't they make me a Republican? Is it aliens?

You're obviously onto this, big guy. What's next, is Paul Ryan going to unleash his army of flying Kangaroos? Is Boehner watching me through his parascope in the Capital mens room?

BTW, you need to tighten the tin foil, you know they can read your brainwaves through cracks if you don't keep it tight enough. You can never be too careful about that big guy.

So....the new polls out today show Republicans favor the candidate who sneers at POWs

Says a lot about the rest of the field and much more about the Republucan base

You missed the entire point of what "the donald" said about McCain as a war hero.
You twisted it all around to get the point of view you wanted.
WOW! "the donald" LOL

That's a false comparison. "ridicules POW's"... I'll give you one asshole POW not all POW's. "genuine American Hero"... back to this BS again. His service, sacrifice and bravery does not equal a pass on all future ridicule. He is a terrible Senator. Just because no one gives a crap about the terrible things you may have said in your life, doesn't give you moral authority to condemn anyone else.

McCain's policies (ie. actions since the war) are the equivalent of taking a huge dump on the other veterans of the war. He has been instrumental in changing America for the worse. Not all of his actions have been bad and I'm sure he's a nice guy. However, let's not Saint him just yet...

So when someone says the USA is not the almighty place you think it is and it pisses you off and you go into a rant....leave if you don't like it.You should not get your panties in a knot.
Diplomats are intelligent and respected."the donald" is rich. Figure out the difference.

Then let him say them in a diplomatic way, not like some third grader. He has been surrounded by "yes" men all his life. Which shows.
Think what he thinks about policy, by all means, but don't act like a jack-ass.

"I was on my 23rd mission, flying right over the heart of Hanoi in a dive at about 4,500 feet, when a Russian missile the size of a telephone pole came up — the sky was full of them — and blew the right wing off my Skyhawk dive bomber," he wrote in a 1973 account of his ordeal. "It went into an inverted, almost straight-down spin. I pulled the ejection handle, and was knocked unconscious by the force of the ejection."

McCain regained consciousness when his parachute landed him in a lake. The explosion had shattered both arms and one of his legs. With 50 pounds of gear on him and one good limb, he struggled to swim to the surface.

North Vietnamese dragged him to shore. They stripped him to his underwear and began "hollering and screaming and cursing and spitting and kicking at me."

"One of them slammed a rifle butt down on my shoulder, and smashed it pretty badly," he wrote. "Another stuck a bayonet in my foot. The mob was really getting uptight." He was interrogated for four days, losing consciousness as his captors tried to beat information out of him. But he refused.

But Trump prefers the guys who weren't captured as his heroes
Is it possible to respect what McCain did without giving him a lifetime pass to be an idiot. Trump made a terrible comment but McCain has made multiple terrible comments and supported far too many turds coming out of Washington. I respect his service and admire his strength in an unbelievably difficult time. However, he does not receive a a pass from criticism on policy that affects us all. He is a war hero who is a terrible representative.

We need to stop caring so much about how things are said. That's how we get comments like "depends on what the definition of is, is". No one is right 100% of the time. People have flaws and say the wrong things from time to time. GET OVER IT.

Forum List

Back