How well does the GOP have to do with Hispanics to win the WH in 2016?

How well must GOP do among Hispanics to win in 2016?

The GOP has a huge mountain to climb to win the Hispanic vote, and Trump is not making it easier. It is just incredible that all the work that the GOP has done to enlarge its base has been undone by Trump in just a few months.

Trump supporters really do not care if they lose the Hispanic vote.

Note: I am not a supporter of Trump and believe if the GOP does not flush him soon they will not be able to save their chances to win this next November.

I do not feel that many of Trump's supporters care whether he is able to win the General or not. They are acting as they are some kind of Trump cult where they just blindly follow Donald. It is something I have never seen in all my years of watching Presidential races.

But I agree, time is growing short for the GOP. They can either deal with Donald now or they will be embarrassed in November 2016. Ir is their choice. And yet, if they "deal" with Donald and he percieves this as being "unfair", he will run as a Third Party. And again, the GOP will be embarassed in November 2016.

As Senator Graham said recently, he may be painful to "risk-losing-election-without-trump-than-win-with-him"

Lindsey Graham: 'Better to risk losing election without Trump' than win with him

Have you noticed? Trump has very little support. The RWNJ' s have been quick to point out lately that they are not supporting him. The cowardice had reached epidemic levels.
How about you explaining just how Hillary plans on paying for her $2 Trillion dollars in new spending instead of just continuing to bash and smear the opposition party's candidate? How about showing a minute degree of class for once?

Hillary will spend $2 trillion on infrastructure, healthcare and education and make Mexico pay for it
That's nothing. Bernie's going to spend $17 trillion of US taxpayers money.

I disagree, JimH

Trump has done precisely what the establishment wished for.

He has energized their Base

He has created the atmosphere where the GOP dictate the topic for the election.

He made the GOP the focus party this cycle.

The GOP establishment can play this two ways, both involves risk while at the same time offer potential for great rewards.

The ball is in their hands, and the GOP controls the games.....

and the establshment has the gall to complain!!:eek:

Energizing the base increases the margin by which you win Red States. Does nothing to help win swing states and that is why Republicans lose
Correct.

Getting republicans to vote for the republican nominee alone won't win the GOP the WH.

Democrats and independents will decide who the next president will be; the republican candidate will need a significant number of democrats to abandon the democratic nominee and vote republican, including Hispanic and other minority Americans.

Given the current GOP field and conservative rhetoric hostile to diversity and inclusion, that's not likely to happen.

I disagree, JimH

The GOP establishment can play this two ways, both involves risk while at the same time offer potential for great rewards.

Energizing the base increases the margin by which you win Red States. Does nothing to help win swing states and that is why Republicans lose
Correct.

Getting republicans to vote for the republican nominee alone won't win the GOP the WH.

Democrats and independents will decide who the next president will be; the republican candidate will need a significant number of democrats to abandon the democratic nominee and vote republican, including Hispanic and other minority Americans.

Given the current GOP field and conservative rhetoric hostile to diversity and inclusion, that's not likely to happen.
That's a bovinium excretum fallacy!

"Illegal immigration isn't necessarily a problem here. But that doesn't mean Florida Hispanics, most of whom are legal immigrants or decedents of legal immigrants, don't interpret strident language directed at illegal immigrants as a shot at their communities."

True.

Hispanic Americans aren't stupid.

They correctly understand that the right's hostility toward 'illegals' isn't some academic legal exercise, but a manifestation of the unwarranted fear of change and diversity that's common among many conservatives, conservatives fearful of an America becoming 'more Hispanic.'

I disagree, JimH

Correct.

I have seen nothing in the Republican platform that improves their chances of winning swing states. If anything, they are losing ground. Given that they need to win two thirds of swing state electoral votes, their chances are close to zero

Hispanic vote could have helped them, but they chased it away

These people take these generic ideas as the OP did, and all of the sudden they become gospel.

1. The Hispanic vote DOESN'T matter! You got that OP. All that matters is the electoral college. EXAMPLE: If every Hispanic votes for the Democrat, but all the Hispanics reside in California, are the Democrats going to win? Answer, NO!

2. Now to the meat an potatoes----------> Republicans will carry Florida this time because of lefty deal with Castro. Florida goes GOP by 4 points.

3. If Kasich has any pull in Ohio, even though he is a rino, if the GOP nominee takes him as his VP, the Democratic party falls off the map, since they no longer control ANYTHING!

That is the truth of it OP, you can talk divisive politics all you want, but that is what will happen. Now go count your electoral votes and what is left with Florida and Ohio in the GOP column, then get back to me about that Hispanic vote again-)
Losing the Hispanic vote will mean the next Republican President hasn't been born yet

Florida is almost entirely in the blue column right now
Texas, Arizona and Colorado could move in the next twenty years making it impossible for Republicans to reach 270

You are lying through your teeth if you are a political animal at all, and you know it. Florida is going 3 to 4 points with the GOP this time because of the lefts deal with the Castro brothers. I know it, you know it, and if you want to lie, go ahead but it doesn't make your statement true. Florida is already counted for the Repubs this time, and everybody who is aware of anything knows it!

Rubio could take Florida. None of the other Republicans could. Not even Bush

Hillary has always done well with Florida voters. Run Trump, Carson or Cruz and she will crush them
But Rubio would likely fail to win Colorado and Nevada, states the GOP candidate would also need to win.

Again, Hispanic Americans aren't stupid – they're not going to vote for a candidate hostile to immigration and immigrants such as Rubio or Cruz just because that candidate himself is Hispanic.

I disagree, JimH

Correct.

I have seen nothing in the Republican platform that improves their chances of winning swing states. If anything, they are losing ground. Given that they need to win two thirds of swing state electoral votes, their chances are close to zero

As noted in the above article, Puerto Ricans in Florida vote consistently democratic; the rhetoric coming from the right hostile to immigration isn't doing anything to change that.

And after the GOP are embarrassed in November 2016, they will ask once again, "What went wrong?"

Well, this year they might have someone to name, rightly or wrongly.
Among the things that went wrong – should the GOP fail to win the WH in 2016 – is to incorrectly infer that the election results of a given Midterm are 'representative' of the Nation as a whole, and 'applicable' to a General Election.

agree , I don't care about 'hispanic' support , I only care about American support Bruce !!

Hispanics aren't American?

And you guys continue to wonder why they don't support your party.

The GOP has a huge mountain to climb to win the Hispanic vote, and Trump is not making it easier. It is just incredible that all the work that the GOP has done to enlarge its base has been undone by Trump in just a few months.

Note: I am not a supporter of Trump and believe if the GOP does not flush him soon they will not be able to save their chances to win this next November.

I do not feel that many of Trump's supporters care whether he is able to win the General or not. They are acting as they are some kind of Trump cult where they just blindly follow Donald. It is something I have never seen in all my years of watching Presidential races.

But I agree, time is growing short for the GOP. They can either deal with Donald now or they will be embarrassed in November 2016. Ir is their choice. And yet, if they "deal" with Donald and he percieves this as being "unfair", he will run as a Third Party. And again, the GOP will be embarassed in November 2016.

As Senator Graham said recently, he may be painful to "risk-losing-election-without-trump-than-win-with-him"

Lindsey Graham: 'Better to risk losing election without Trump' than win with him

Have you noticed? Trump has very little support. The RWNJ' s have been quick to point out lately that they are not supporting him. The cowardice had reached epidemic levels.
How about you explaining just how Hillary plans on paying for her $2 Trillion dollars in new spending instead of just continuing to bash and smear the opposition party's candidate? How about showing a minute degree of class for once?

Responsible Link to the alleged 2T in new spending

There hasn't been a Republican party platform since 2012. I don't know why clueless people feel the need to express their ignorance, even if it anonymously.

These people take these generic ideas as the OP did, and all of the sudden they become gospel.

1. The Hispanic vote DOESN'T matter! You got that OP. All that matters is the electoral college. EXAMPLE: If every Hispanic votes for the Democrat, but all the Hispanics reside in California, are the Democrats going to win? Answer, NO!

2. Now to the meat an potatoes----------> Republicans will carry Florida this time because of lefty deal with Castro. Florida goes GOP by 4 points.

3. If Kasich has any pull in Ohio, even though he is a rino, if the GOP nominee takes him as his VP, the Democratic party falls off the map, since they no longer control ANYTHING!

That is the truth of it OP, you can talk divisive politics all you want, but that is what will happen. Now go count your electoral votes and what is left with Florida and Ohio in the GOP column, then get back to me about that Hispanic vote again-)
Losing the Hispanic vote will mean the next Republican President hasn't been born yet

Texas, Arizona and Colorado could move in the next twenty years making it impossible for Republicans to reach 270

You are lying through your teeth if you are a political animal at all, and you know it. Florida is going 3 to 4 points with the GOP this time because of the lefts deal with the Castro brothers. I know it, you know it, and if you want to lie, go ahead but it doesn't make your statement true. Florida is already counted for the Repubs this time, and everybody who is aware of anything knows it!

Hillary has always done well with Florida voters. Run Trump, Carson or Cruz and she will crush them
But Rubio would likely fail to win Colorado and Nevada, states the GOP candidate would also need to win.

Again, Hispanic Americans aren't stupid – they're not going to vote for a candidate hostile to immigration and immigrants such as Rubio or Cruz just because that candidate himself is Hispanic.

64 evs need to switch. FL provides 29 and there is no guarantee that Rubio wins FL. The GOP will need another large state to flip.

Many on the right don't need links, just lies.

Please take note that most of the RW loons who have been trumpeting Trump ( pun intended) have not commented in this thread. I wonder why?

One thing Trump is doing that serves serious candidates is keep them from sounding as crazy as they would otherwise.

Rubio had a chance to run away with the Hispanic vote and lead his party to a solution that appeased both conservatives and Hispanics
He quickly found out there is no middle ground with conservatives and quickly sold out Hispanics

"Illegal immigration isn't necessarily a problem here. But that doesn't mean Florida Hispanics, most of whom are legal immigrants or decedents of legal immigrants, don't interpret strident language directed at illegal immigrants as a shot at their communities."

True.

Hispanic Americans aren't stupid.

They correctly understand that the right's hostility toward 'illegals' isn't some academic legal exercise, but a manifestation of the unwarranted fear of change and diversity that's common among many conservatives, conservatives fearful of an America becoming 'more Hispanic.'

They understand most of it is about brown skin and a language that conservatives despise.

Building infrastructure, funding science and doing great stuff in our own country once again is how we grow the economy. 2T spent this way is well worth it.

The republicans want to spend that and more on war.

Forum List

Back