🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

How would you save detroit?

Well, Londoner, this time the Dems got in fast while there was still an economy to stimulate. We don't need a war, just some Pub cooperation and a jobs bill...

Well I wouldn't be the Pub governor and cut hundreds of millions in aid, appoint a Pub Wall St. bankruptcy lawyer to be emergency city manager, and then declare it bankrupt to make billions for my pals, without even negotiating with the unions. I'd cut their Cadillac health benifits and get them O-care, saving 50%. End of problem.

Put them to work fixing their infrastructure and give them some training. Like the rest of the country. Fecking a-hole Pubs and their silly hater dupes.

Can you ramp that up to slang American English? What you posted isn't intelligible.

I'm guessing you don't know any of those facts, as you only get Pubspin.

How would you save Detroit?

1. Remove all able bodied people off of welfare. We could focus on job programs (some federal money if needed). Abled bodied doesn't mean throw granny or the disabled dude onto the street.

This is what FDR did. He used government to put able bodied people to work mostly building infrastructure (and his methods were adopted by Truman and Eisenhower).

Infrastructure like roads, bridges, dams and energy grids have a massive multiplier effect for everything from commerce to living standards.

Reagan's father and brother were put to work during the Great Depression by an FDR work program. Read Reagan's first biography "Where's the Rest of Me?" - he was an FDR Democrat and talks about how FDR saved his family.

The government work programs of FDR, Truman and Eisenhower help put several generations of Americans to work building a Great Nation. Every American they put to work was also, as a direct result of being put to work, a consumer. This meant that the capitalist had to hire even more workers in order to keep up with the increased consumer demand. It was a virtuous cycle and it lead to unprecedented economic growth in the 50s and 60s. It was the opposite of today's austerity. (Reagan and Clinton enjoyed smaller but respectable economic booms, but they were largely driven by the expansion of credit)

We can't fix the depression until we learn from history. The government must spur demand during depressions; then it must pull back after the engine has started again. The Great Depression was not fixed until the stimulus (and job creation) of the greatest government works program in history > WWII. The Americans that were put to work manufacturing war materials represented a tsunami of consumer demand that triggered the golden age of consumer capitalism. We have forgotten that lesson.

This is a great post. ;) I wonder if the republicans can point out a time in history their idea's worked.

1. Remove all able bodied people off of welfare. We could focus on job programs (some federal money if needed). Abled bodied doesn't mean throw granny or the disabled dude onto the street.

This is what FDR did. He used government to put able bodied people to work mostly building infrastructure (and his methods were adopted by Truman and Eisenhower).

Infrastructure like roads, bridges, dams and energy grids have a massive multiplier effect for everything from commerce to living standards.

Reagan's father and brother were put to work during the Great Depression by an FDR work program. Read Reagan's first biography "Where's the Rest of Me?" - he was an FDR Democrat and talks about how FDR saved his family.

The government work programs of FDR, Truman and Eisenhower help put several generations of Americans to work building a Great Nation. Every American they put to work was also, as a direct result of being put to work, a consumer. This meant that the capitalist had to hire even more workers in order to keep up with the increased consumer demand. It was a virtuous cycle and it lead to unprecedented economic growth in the 50s and 60s. It was the opposite of today's austerity. (Reagan and Clinton enjoyed smaller but respectable economic booms, but they were largely driven by the expansion of credit)

We can't fix the depression until we learn from history. The government must spur demand during depressions; then it must pull back after the engine has started again. The Great Depression was not fixed until the stimulus (and job creation) of the greatest government works program in history > WWII. The Americans that were put to work manufacturing war materials represented a tsunami of consumer demand that triggered the golden age of consumer capitalism. We have forgotten that lesson.

This is a great post. ;) I wonder if the republicans can point out a time in history their idea's worked.

This is just so sad.

There wasn't welfare prior to the Great Depression to remove anyone 'from.' The work programs were good for morale, but they didn't add to any sort of upswing, that would come with the moves towards war. Call it lend/lease or something else. We gave away our WWI remainders, then started manufacturing weapons, all to our soon to be allies.

None of the 'work projects' made a whit of difference in depression times.

Deport 85% of the Detroit inhabitants to a country in the carribean with no chance of returning. And then I'd replace the degenerate Democrats with Republican appointed leaders into office to get it off the ground and fix it. And then hopefully once it's an attractive place to live and work many valuable human beings will move in and maintain it.

Last edited:

1. Remove all able bodied people off of welfare. We could focus on job programs(some federal money if needed). Abled bodied doesn't mean throw granny or the disabled dude onto the street.
2. Lower regs and make it easy to start a business.
3. Tax the income
4. Use the tax money to increase the police force to get control of the violence.
5. Outside investment can get into this area once 5. is done. Bigger stores, projects, etc.
6. Increase more to fund education to get more the 30% of the population able to read, write and do jobs.

Detroit needs to do this from the inside out. Somehow, I have my doubts about the population there, but I'm really hoping.

Maybe China will buy up some dilapidated run down neighborhoods in exchange for our current debt but did they every pay us back when they went under..90's?

#46- this time the Dems got in fast while there was still an economy to stimulate. We don't need a war, just some Pub cooperation and a jobs bill...

TWO PUB depressions, how many bubbles, recessions, and scandals...S+L, Tea Pot Dome, Grant...

lol, Obama should have the federal government buy up some big swaths of unused land in Detroit,

set up a military base, and move a big bunch of operations out of Texas to Detroit.

That's not a bad idea. Instead of relocating Texas bases, relocate maintenance and large units from areas where the military is reviled, isn't strategically important and/or is occupying expensive real estate.

Move the 7th ID from Ft. Lewis, Washington.
Move the entire SOCOM operations from Tampa, Fayetteville, and Hampton Roads.
Move DLI from Monterey
Move NSA from Ft. Meade, Maryland.
Move USN Great Lakes from North Chicago.

Of course this will backfire on the Democrats, it'll turn Michigan from Democrat to Republican. That result aside, it's still a good idea. Virtually free real estate, abundant land, available housing, and a better life for middle class employees. $50K folks in Norfolk can live like they make $100K in Detroit.

Last edited:
#46- this time the Dems got in fast while there was still an economy to stimulate. We don't need a war, just some Pub cooperation and a jobs bill...

TWO PUB depressions, how many bubbles, recessions, and scandals...S+L, Tea Pot Dome, Grant...

A "jobs bill??? What about this??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0dFsNwiqOM]Shovel-Ready BS Obama - YouTube[/ame]

Exactly how many "jobs bills" do you need? Barry said that his "shovel ready" projects would lead to massive jobs. Ummm.....I'm just a stupid "pub" as you like to call us...but where are the jobs?

How about this??

Or is it as Clara once proclaimed?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug75diEyiA0]Where's the Beef - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Remove all able bodied people off of welfare. We could focus on job programs(some federal money if needed). Abled bodied doesn't mean throw granny or the disabled dude onto the street.
3. Tax the income
4. Use the tax money to increase the police force to get control of the violence.
5. Outside investment can get into this area once 5. is done. Bigger stores, projects, etc.
6. Increase more to fund education to get more the 30% of the population able to read, write and do jobs.

Detroit needs to do this from the inside out. Somehow, I have my doubts about the population there, but I'm really hoping.

Detroit's problems are so massive that these simple ideas won't even put a dent in the problem. You have a city that used to have over 2 million people. It now has around 800,000, if that. Half the city is abandoned. The problem is that abandonment is throughout the city. What has to be done is that they need to move people from low populated areas and get them into full functioning communities. Then they can raise those old communities where nobody lives and just give the land to developers. If developers don't have to pay for anything other than new construction, they can rebuild one section at a time, entire communities where they can attract people with money. They can even build public schools in these communities that do not have to be part of the Detroit public school system. Make those school districts independent.

Here is an example. In Denver, they took old Stapleton Airport and allowed developers to take the land and develop it with a plan. They included shopping along with housing. Most homes that were built in that area now go for $400,000 and up. The area was not a great area to begin with, but now it's a great area and it's generating tons of tax revenue for the city of Denver. Now Detroit's situation is much more complex, but things like this can be done, one community at a time. The key to bringing back Detroit is new developments and giving white's a reason to come back. This is not a racial issue, it's just a fact that big cities need whites and their higher incomes because with it the city collects more taxes.

Denver was and is growing. That's why your plan won't work for Detroit.

The government work programs of FDR, Truman and Eisenhower help put several generations of Americans to work building a Great Nation. Every American they put to work was also, as a direct result of being put to work, a consumer. This meant that the capitalist had to hire even more workers in order to keep up with the increased consumer demand. It was a virtuous cycle and it lead to unprecedented economic growth in the 50s and 60s. It was the opposite of today's austerity. (Reagan and Clinton enjoyed smaller but respectable economic booms, but they were largely driven by the expansion of credit and the easy money policies of the Federal Reserve)

The only way that works is if Obama also carpet bombs Europe so that an entire generation of competition is wiped out.

THAT is why the US got out of the depression with all the unsustainable government spending, not the broken-window theory on steroids.

3. Tax the income

Detroit's problems are so massive that these simple ideas won't even put a dent in the problem. You have a city that used to have over 2 million people. It now has around 800,000, if that. Half the city is abandoned. The problem is that abandonment is throughout the city. What has to be done is that they need to move people from low populated areas and get them into full functioning communities. Then they can raise those old communities where nobody lives and just give the land to developers. If developers don't have to pay for anything other than new construction, they can rebuild one section at a time, entire communities where they can attract people with money. They can even build public schools in these communities that do not have to be part of the Detroit public school system. Make those school districts independent.

Here is an example. In Denver, they took old Stapleton Airport and allowed developers to take the land and develop it with a plan. They included shopping along with housing. Most homes that were built in that area now go for $400,000 and up. The area was not a great area to begin with, but now it's a great area and it's generating tons of tax revenue for the city of Denver. Now Detroit's situation is much more complex, but things like this can be done, one community at a time. The key to bringing back Detroit is new developments and giving white's a reason to come back. This is not a racial issue, it's just a fact that big cities need whites and their higher incomes because with it the city collects more taxes.

Nothing personal, but I was just in Denver. Actually Denver, then Commerce City (otherwise known as the "Old Stapleton"). I would love to hear your definition of what a "great area" is....there is a Bass Pro, a Target, a few businesses and a few upscale homes. There are probably 15 or 20 warehouses and distribution centers to include King Soopers Distribution center.

Mind you, it's better than Detroit, but then, I never cared much for Denver to begin with. Too damned many hippies.......You folks get rid of Boulder and maybe we'll talk. :lol:

Nothing personal, but I was just in Denver. Actually Denver, then Commerce City (otherwise known as the "Old Stapleton"). I would love to hear your definition of what a "great area" is....there is a Bass Pro, a Target, a few businesses and a few upscale homes. There are probably 15 or 20 warehouses and distribution centers to include King Soopers Distribution center.

Mind you, it's better than Detroit, but then, I never cared much for Denver to begin with. Too damned many hippies.......You folks get rid of Boulder and maybe we'll talk. :lol:

Growing.

Denver County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Growing.

Denver County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Understood. Tongue-in-cheek, Hell, ANYWHERE grows faster than Detroit.....Frankly, I don't believe there is any "saving" Detroit at this point. Bulldoze it and use it as farmland.

Well I wouldn't be the Pub governor and cut hundreds of millions in aid, appoint a Pub Wall St. bankruptcy lawyer to be emergency city manager, and then declare it bankrupt to make billions for my pals, without even negotiating with the unions. I'd cut their Cadillac health benifits and get them O-care, saving 50%. End of problem.

Put them to work fixing their infrastructure and give them some training. Like the rest of the country. Fecking a-hole Pubs and their silly hater dupes.

I don't speak meth head, but let me see if I sorted this out.

detroit wastes money, but not giving them money to waste is bad

it's mismanaged, for decades, so putting someone in charge to manage it is bad

How does bankruptcy turn into billions? unions helped create detroit as it is. Why negotiate with evil?

Unions are exempt from obamacare, so come up with that 50% [:lol:] somewhere else

Easy ... get rid of the republican Governor problem solved hes block all the federal dollras to do repair work in the state ... get rid of as man republicans as you can and the problem will be solved

Easy ... get rid of the republican Governor problem solved hes block all the federal dollras to do repair work in the state ... get rid of as man republicans as you can and the problem will be solved

:lol:

you're dumber than dirt

The fall of detroit was called back in the 80's. You are now suffering from decades of dem rule.

2 years of a gop governor did not cause this.

Forum List

Back