i can see this turning ugly

if they follow the syllabus, pass the course, and pas the boards why not? and ps,, the school doesn't give a degree, it is earned and they surely don't give a license. that's a function of a state.

there is ethics guidelines for every degree I know of though. I had to take a computer science one and every school/degree I saw had an equivalent course

There are no ethics guidelines associated with any degree in the US that requires that you must publicly support homosexuality and admit that it is a hardwired trait.

That's just fucking ludicrous. Who the hell ARE you people? Please return to your rock until you're ripe.

Allie Baba, homosexuality has not been a designated mental illness since the 1960's in this country. Medical professionals who do not adhere to the standards of care in the DSM are likely to find themselves in large trouble with the law, etc. It IS a violation of ethics to try and teach a homosexual person to "be straight".

PS, I'm working on my Human SErvices Management degree...my best friend has a degree in psychology.

I have yet to see any fucking agreement where we are required to state we'll believe a certain way, and put aside our Christian beliefs.

And someone needs to smack whomever thinks Christians should be excluded from schools and degree programs based upon their religion need to admit they're fucking Nazi sympathizers, bigots, and deserve to have the shit knocked out of them. Regularly.

you need to stop with the victim card, no one is excluding christians

Nope not at all. they just have to stop being Christians. Or become Christians in name only.

Nope. Nothing wrong with that...

how do you expect this group to bend their rules to every religions beliefs? and why should they have to whent heir own conclusions are backed up by extensive data

okay sorry blu. I just get so mad when people say they are people of God or are Christian then act un-Christian towards or speak negatively about those who are of a sexual orientation than the "so-called normal" male/female relations

No Young-Earther will ever be allowed to graduate from an accredited Evolutionary Biology program, as it should be.

Getting a degree requires a political and religious litmus test now? I thought all it required was someone meeting the academic requirements imposed by the school. If that young earhter manages to pass all the academic requirements and meet the other requirements of the degree program than they should get the degree.

Period.

indeed. the actual equivalent here is if a young-earther gets a bio degree, becomes a teacher, and then starts substituting in the religious material instead of science. that would be wrong of course and the person fired.

The last article that I posted said that she wasn't dismissed. She just needs to complete the remediation plan. She could do that and still have the same ideas, and still graduate I believe. Their argument is that she needs more "awareness" not that she has to change her beliefs. Fairly compelling I think.

there is ethics guidelines for every degree I know of though. I had to take a computer science one and every school/degree I saw had an equivalent course

There are no ethics guidelines associated with any degree in the US that requires that you must publicly support homosexuality and admit that it is a hardwired trait.

That's just fucking ludicrous. Who the hell ARE you people? Please return to your rock until you're ripe.

Allie Baba, homosexuality has not been a designated mental illness since the 1960's in this country. Medical professionals who do not adhere to the standards of care in the DSM are likely to find themselves in large trouble with the law, etc. It IS a violation of ethics to try and teach a homosexual person to "be straight".
Well, 1973 to be exact, but other than that, yes, you are spot on.

Ga. School Forces Christian Student to Alter Beliefs to Graduate | Christianpost.com

I don't really know how all of this works, so i think I will stay out of it for now

she should NOT be forced to alter her beliefs

nor should she be forced to FAKE/LIE to the school about "altering" her beliefs.

she should be refused accreditation.

she has the right to belief whatever ignorant nonsense her parents and her earlier mind control masters has indoctrinated her with....

but she should NOT be allowed to be a counselor to other people...

other than as a RELIGIOUS counselor....

keep this out please. its not about her religion, its about her views on homosexuals

Granted, this is a state school so the paradigm isn't quite apt. But imagine a student at Liberty University who is majoring in Theology. In her final exams, this student manages to express her belief that the notion of the Rapture is incorrect and not to be taken seriously as it is the mis-reading of Holy Scripture. If the official doctrine of the Liberty University School of Theology said that the Rapture is not only a very real event but the inevitable end of mortal life on earth, should that student be awarded a degree for holding contrary views?

If her course work was satisfactory, should she be required to 'rethink' her position and accept the school's official stance?

I thought that the university experience was to open ones mind to other possibilities.

Yes. Yes she should recieve the degree. She did the course work. There are plenty of people who don't believe that get degrees in theology.

okay sorry blu. I just get so mad when people say they are people of God or are Christian then act un-Christian towards or speak negatively about those who are of a sexual orientation than the "so-called normal" male/female relations

understandable, but if you want to actually change people's beliefs being civil is much better than abrasive. it also fosters better discussion

If you're trying to get a job as a counselor, you need to fit the American Counseling Association Code of Ethics, which prohibits discrimination against LGBT people. If you choose the bible over the ACA's Code of Ethics, you can't be a counselor.

I don't think that she should be prevented from getting a degree, but it's pretty clear she wouldn't be able to work as a counselor.

So you are saying th at the ACCA Code of Ethics is will prevent people from working as a counselor because of their religious beliefs?

And you think that's alright?

When the religious beliefs in question interfere and contradict with the Code of Ethics, then not only do I think it's alright, I think it's necessary.

She's not being punished for being Christian, she's being punished for being loud and outspoken about it, in a job where she can't be.

Exactly, blu.

There are plenty of Jews, Muslims, Hindus, "other" religions, and even some secularists who believe you can "cure" homosexuality.

It's not exclusive to Christians. It's pretty common in Christian circles, sure, but there are non-religious "curing" organizations like NARTH.

And what of the GLBT students this woman may someday encounter? Where's our compassion for them? If she is unable to deal with people with dignity, respect and knowledge, she cannot be a public school counselor.

I don't see the problem.

They don't like her, they can go to another counselor. What happened to freedom of religion?

Againshelia, a counselor can do severe damage to a kid before the therapy ends. And kids in school cannot order up new counselors as they wish; they are assigned. I don't happen to see this as a freedom of religion issue because, unless it is a private school, that is not a place she should be injecting her beliefs.

Granted, this is a state school so the paradigm isn't quite apt. But imagine a student at Liberty University who is majoring in Theology. In her final exams, this student manages to express her belief that the notion of the Rapture is incorrect and not to be taken seriously as it is the mis-reading of Holy Scripture. If the official doctrine of the Liberty University School of Theology said that the Rapture is not only a very real event but the inevitable end of mortal life on earth, should that student be awarded a degree for holding contrary views?

If her course work was satisfactory, should she be required to 'rethink' her position and accept the school's official stance?

I thought that the university experience was to open ones mind to other possibilities.

Yes. Yes she should recieve the degree. She did the course work. There are plenty of people who don't believe that get degrees in theology.
Well, it was sure a waste of time, work, and study for her, don't you think?

Ga. School Forces Christian Student to Alter Beliefs to Graduate | Christianpost.com

I don't really know how all of this works, so i think I will stay out of it for now

nor should she be forced to FAKE/LIE to the school about "altering" her beliefs.

she has the right to belief whatever ignorant nonsense her parents and her earlier mind control masters has indoctrinated her with....

She did the work. She earned the degree.

You have the right to believe whatever ignorant nonsense you've been indoctrinated with, but you shouldn't be allowed to deny others the fruit of their labor or their ability to work because of your bigotry.

Should a medical school give a degree and license to someone who only believes in faith healing?

Since faith healing is not medicine no, and that is not what this case is about.

She has nearly completed her Master's Degree and now, since they don't like her political point of view, they want to re-educate her. That is wrong.

I don't agree with her point of view, but neither do I believe that some self-aggrandized liberal nuts have the right to forcibly coerce people over to their point of view especially after having sucked boo-coo bucks out of her bank account and then tell her, "we're sorry, but, we don't like what you think so we are not going to let you graduate until you succumb to our way of thinking."

Immie

okay I will state this and if you get my point and just don't agree then that is okay and we can leave at that......

she doesn't agree with the school's guidelines related to counseling homosexuals. The school has strict standards in this area. if they graduate her knowing that she doesn't follow their guidelines they are putting the school's reputation at risk as well as graduating a person who will knowingly be breaking her ethics and agreed to guidelines every time she counsels a homosexual. how is allowing this to happen a good thing?

No, you are assuming she does not. No one, including the school, has even tried to say she is incapable of following professional standards, or of keeping her personal vies out of her relationship with patients. They are claiming they do not like her views because they do not conform to current psychological research.

Well, it was sure a waste of time, work, and study for her, don't you think?

How can anything be a waste of time to study?

She did the work. She earned the degree.

You have the right to believe whatever ignorant nonsense you've been indoctrinated with, but you shouldn't be allowed to deny others the fruit of their labor or their ability to work because of your bigotry.

well its a problem because of how intertwined the school and program is with the ACA whose guidelines/ethics are clearly oppostie of her beliefs. they have no reason to accredit people who don't believe in their system.

Since faith healing is not medicine no, and that is not what this case is about.

She has nearly completed her Master's Degree and now, since they don't like her political point of view, they want to re-educate her. That is wrong.

I don't agree with her point of view, but neither do I believe that some self-aggrandized liberal nuts have the right to forcibly coerce people over to their point of view especially after having sucked boo-coo bucks out of her bank account and then tell her, "we're sorry, but, we don't like what you think so we are not going to let you graduate until you succumb to our way of thinking."

Immie

okay I will state this and if you get my point and just don't agree then that is okay and we can leave at that......

she doesn't agree with the school's guidelines related to counseling homosexuals. The school has strict standards in this area. if they graduate her knowing that she doesn't follow their guidelines they are putting the school's reputation at risk as well as graduating a person who will knowingly be breaking her ethics and agreed to guidelines every time she counsels a homosexual. how is allowing this to happen a good thing?

No, you are assuming she does not. No one, including the school, has even tried to say she is incapable of following professional standards, or of keeping her personal vies out of her relationship with patients. They are claiming they do not like her views because they do not conform to current psychological research.

right, and I believe you are still reading through the thread, but at some point you will hit my response where I stated that I think there is more to the story such as she telling admins/professors that she would use her views on homosexuals during counseling sessions. otherwise this whole thing seems blown out of proportion and shes literally being punished for a thought crime.

this will get much more interesting as the school releases information.

Forum List

Back