I Don't Think Many Of You Know What "Confronted" Means

He chased down an unarmed black teen who, while being taped begging for his life was shot dead.

"Black" makes it not a crime? That your point?

None of this is a legal argument. This is a thread about law and the justice system. Please respect that, or go away. there are other threads you can scream and emote in.

Does the City Manager double as City Attorney?

You open a thread. People are going to post.

Of course. But asking people to stay somewhat close to on topic. Going off topic can be grounds for...

but that isn't what I desire. What about the law, and legal/justice system debate about this very public exercise in democracy?

None of this is a legal argument. This is a thread about law and the justice system. Please respect that, or go away. there are other threads you can scream and emote in.[/QUOTE]

The Office of the State Attorney gave a statement, no conclusions, unlike the City Manager:

A Seminole County grand jury will hear evidence in the case of slain 17-year-old Martin on April 10, according to State Attorney Norm Wolfinger.
ATTORNEY NEWS CONFERENCE: Part 1 | Part 2
Wolfinger released a statement on Tuesday saying, "I share in the desire of the family and the community to accurately collect and evaluate all the facts surrounding the tragic death of Trayvon Martin. That is why I directed the expeditious review of the investigation which was delivered by the Sanford Police Department one week ago today; areas for further investigation have been identified; and, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has agreed to assist and has been working hard with my office since Friday, March 16. I will also be utilizing the investigative resources of the Seminole County Grand Jury which will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.
I respectfully request that the public remain patient as this process continues forward. We are a country based upon law, and as the State Attorney for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit I am sworn to uphold those laws. As I have previously stated, the public is entitled to no less than a thorough, deliberate, and just review of the facts. We intend to honor that commitment."
The panel includes 21 Seminole County citizens. Officials said 54 percent of the cases that go through the State Attorney's Office with no arrests still go to trial.

Crowds at rally call for gunman George Zimmerman's arrest in... | www.wftv.com

LEAVE DECISIONS TO THE GRAND JURY.

He chased down an unarmed black teen who, while being taped begging for his life was shot dead.

None of this is a legal argument. This is a thread about law and the justice system. Please respect that, or go away. there are other threads you can scream and emote in.

Does the City Manager double as City Attorney?

Interesting question. I was going to investigate the city structure myself. Does anyone here know? I doubt it. Legal arguments over the actions of the police are being presented. But to whom? A public with no authority? Federal officials are said to be assisting in an investigation of the incident.

rdean generally takes a dump on random threads. You'll have to forgive his weak sauce.

Conclusions are up to the Grand Jury.

Yes, if and when a grand jury is called to hear this. The Police Dept showed up and upon preliminary investigation concluded no crime was committed. In the OP: "...the letter, signed by Sanford City Manager Norton Bonaparte Jr., says. “By Florida Statute, law enforcement was PROHIBITED from making an arrest based on the facts and circumstances they had at the time.” (Caps are theirs.)"

Do you know for a fact where things stand with the city, state, and the feds - if at all? I'm looking to discuss facts and legal issues raised by credible authorities and figures.

The Office of the State Attorney gave a statement, no conclusions, unlike the City Manager:

"A Seminole County grand jury will hear evidence in the case of slain 17-year-old Martin on April 10, according to State Attorney Norm Wolfinger.
Wolfinger released a statement on Tuesday saying, "I share in the desire of the family and the community to accurately collect and evaluate all the facts surrounding the tragic death of Trayvon Martin. That is why I directed the expeditious review of the investigation which was delivered by the Sanford Police Department one week ago today; areas for further investigation have been identified; and, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has agreed to assist and has been working hard with my office since Friday, March 16. I will also be utilizing the investigative resources of the Seminole County Grand Jury which will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.
I respectfully request that the public remain patient as this process continues forward. We are a country based upon law, and as the State Attorney for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit I am sworn to uphold those laws. As I have previously stated, the public is entitled to no less than a thorough, deliberate, and just review of the facts. We intend to honor that commitment."
The panel includes 21 Seminole County citizens. Officials said 54 percent of the cases that go through the State Attorney's Office with no arrests still go to trial."

The Federal investigation will center on a possible civil rights violation/hate crime, likely under the Matthew Shepard/James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009.

The alleged racial epithet would be key to such an investigation.

The people who founded our nation were often mob-ish in action, but believed the system they set up would keep their not so better natures from running rough shod over the rights of individuals, and over the rule of law: Principles over personalities and emotions.
Correct.

The rule of law and due process – with regard to both civil and criminal cases – ensures no civil liberties are violated in the ‘heat of the moment.’

LEAVE FURTHER DECISIONS TO THE GRAND JURY

"A Seminole County grand jury will hear evidence in the case of slain 17-year-old Martin on April 10, according to State Attorney Norm Wolfinger.

Wolfinger released a statement on Tuesday saying, "I share in the desire of the family and the community to accurately collect and evaluate all the facts surrounding the tragic death of Trayvon Martin.

That is why I directed the expeditious review of the investigation which was delivered by the Sanford Police Department one week ago today; areas for further investigation have been identified; and, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has agreed to assist and has been working hard with my office since Friday, March 16.

I will also be utilizing the investigative resources of the Seminole County Grand Jury which will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.

I respectfully request that the public remain patient as this process continues forward. We are a country based upon law, and as the State Attorney for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit I am sworn to uphold those laws.

As I have previously stated, the public is entitled to no less than a thorough, deliberate, and just review of the facts. We intend to honor that commitment."

The panel includes 21 Seminole County citizens. Officials said 54 percent of the cases that go through the State Attorney's Office with no arrests still go to trial."

thank you

:clap2:

The Federal investigation will center on a possible civil rights violation/hate crime, likely under the Matthew Shepard/James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2009.

The people who founded our nation were often mob-ish in action, but believed the system they set up would keep their not so better natures from running rough shod over the rights of individuals, and over the rule of law: Principles over personalities and emotions.
Correct.

The rule of law and due process – with regard to both civil and criminal cases – ensures no civil liberties are violated in the ‘heat of the moment.’
Yes. It is alleged a racial epithet was used, but how and why, and when will be important.

Just using an epithet during the commission of a crime is not of itself a crime.

The Founding Fathers and the Framers would be horrified, and maybe hypocritical, over the current display of a majority demanding law be put aside.

You must be joking. Or really, really stupid.

He chased him down? The taped conversation has him pleading for his life? Why hasn't this made the national news?

Better yet, what planet do you live on?

LEAVE FURTHER DECISIONS TO THE GRAND JURY

Wolfinger released a statement on Tuesday saying, "I share in the desire of the family and the community to accurately collect and evaluate all the facts surrounding the tragic death of Trayvon Martin.

That is why I directed the expeditious review of the investigation which was delivered by the Sanford Police Department one week ago today; areas for further investigation have been identified; and, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has agreed to assist and has been working hard with my office since Friday, March 16.

I will also be utilizing the investigative resources of the Seminole County Grand Jury which will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.

I respectfully request that the public remain patient as this process continues forward. We are a country based upon law, and as the State Attorney for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit I am sworn to uphold those laws.

As I have previously stated, the public is entitled to no less than a thorough, deliberate, and just review of the facts. We intend to honor that commitment."

thank you

:clap2:

You are welcome Dante.

Correct.

I don't think he committed a hate crime, though I don't know what's in his heart.

I think he is guilty of thinking black teens are criminals. Not a hate crime, just giving into stereotypical behavior.

The Founding Fathers and the Framers would be horrified, and maybe hypocritical, over the current display of a majority demanding law be put aside.

You must be joking. Or really, really stupid.

why? If you can explain what you mean, I would be delighted to lecture you. :D

Correct.

I don't think he committed a hate crime, though I don't know what's in his heart.

I think he is guilty of thinking black teens are criminals. Not a hate crime, just giving into stereotypical behavior.

maybe, but like you say, that is not the legal issue. The police and the courts have no jurisdiction with this issue.

Forum List

Back