I support 8.25/hour national minimum wage(house republicans do it!)

Better yet, I 'd require these corporations to pay only 30 times the pay for their ceo to lowest paid employee. This would be better as it would spread the monetary resources to the workers. I'd only do it on corporations making more than 5 billion/year.

No more golden parachutes for the bastards.

Also, I am not against 10.10 per hour. ;) Just that we might not get it with the republicans and all.

I 'd require these corporations to pay only 30 times the pay for their ceo to lowest paid employee.

Feel free to start your own company and do that.

Otherwise, leave other people's property alone, Ivan.

Plenty of slackers on shift. They get paid the same, assuming they are the same age as me, but if they fuck up, they lose hours. Two people were recently told that if they didn't shape up, they would lose hours.

My hours have increased, so I must be doing something right.

That you must. You must be doing something right but truly you've thrown a few spanners in the works for me with your profile of how the restaurant business works down there.

I've been a bus boy in the days no one sweated being a girl called a bus boy waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in time when I was a baby of 12 working at a place called the Jet in Hamilton Ontario for my mom's friend. I was enthralled with having my first job. 3 bucks an hour. But the staff at the time I guess looking back in time were so happy because in the early 60's they were making whoa geeze 10 dollars plus an hour so that comparitively was a big wage. But this was a big successful restaurant and consequently Mrs. Bater gave out the money because she believed in team.

She hired me because of her connection with my mom but thankfully I lived up to expectations and I just adored being able to get my little paycheck at the end of a weekend. I was of course going to school at the same time and I was a dancer in a Ukrainian dance troupe so part time it was.

Here is what you see in a good owner/boss/employer. At the end of the year for me, just this kid who showed up to work on time, with a smile and thrilled at being part of this crew called the Jet, Mrs. Bater had held back part of my pay to match with a bonus and I got a check of a thousand dollars.

She set the standard for me. Employer. Employee. Just words. We were family. She died a few years back. I flew in to say goodbye. I owed her so much.

Sadly we don't seem to have that around these days. So we have to make our ways differently. If you have the where with all though Noomi and you seem like such a special lass is there not one way you can elevate yourself in the business?

I would LOVE to elevate myself within the business. At my old store I used to get asked time and again why I wasn't a manager, and I told those kids that I wasn't because I wasn't permitted to be. Being partially dead, I can't always understand people, or use the head sets they use for the drive thru. All managers are required to use them - so that eliminates me entirely.
Also prevents me taking a job as a receptionist, for example.

You sound like you had an awesome relationship with your first employer. I wish there were people like her around, people would be so much happier in their jobs.

The local TAFE (training facility) is opening up personal training courses soon. I'll do one of those and become a personal trainer. :)

Hey what level are you deaf? I'm looking at getting an implant. For me it's not just hereditary I stood in front of a lot of speakers in my lifetime in rock :lol: I think it's worth the investment. Rush (ok get out the holy water here to protect yourself) Limbaugh is deaf and he swears by his implants.

I miss hearing birds especially. But if this small disability is what is holding you back, hey check it out if you can get it.

And yes Mrs Bater was the best. I learned so many lessons. I worked my first Thanksgiving. My grandparents were really upset that I wasn't at home but my mom and dad knew I had to.

Poor people came in. I never knew this. What was known in Hamilton was Mrs Bater would open the Jet to the poor on Thanksgiving and even if someone could give a quarter for a meal the meal was paid for. If all they could do was offer a prayer the meal was paid for.

So I served up (I'd made it to waitress level by 13 YAY!) all these souls. Washed up for today. They washed up for the day. Every one was to be served a thanksgiving meal. I remember her having us at the back of the restaurant. Looking us all in the eye. Telling us that you serve them and you serve them with dignity. Not one snicker. Or fired on the spot.

These people were coming in at her request from the streets of Hamilton and they were her guests. Mrs. Bater really was a sgt major :lol: She was some piece of work.

I'm glad I learned from her. She was some sort of cool.

Last edited:
I started working minimum wage at $2 an hour. For $2 an hour I could:

Buy seven gallons of gas........You can buy two gallons today
Buy a new car by working half a year.......It will take you a year and a half today
Pay for my college tuition working just three months a year......It will take a full year today

Minimum wage would have to pay $15 an hour today just to equal the buying power I had at $2 an hour.

Buy a new car by working half a year.......It will take you a year and a half today
Pay for my college tuition working just three months a year......It will take a full year today

Minimum wage would have to pay $15 an hour today just to equal the buying power I had at $2 an hour.

Millions of unskilled illegals tend to hold down the wages of unskilled Americans.

Millions of unskilled illegals tend to hold down the wages of unskilled Americans.

Big businesses who milk for profits tend to hold down the wages for all Americans.

Big businesses who milk for profits tend to hold down the wages for all Americans.

Just imagine how screwed they'd be, after we deported 11 million illegals.

Screw those big businesses!!!

Actually, it is Republucans who hold down the wages of unskilled Americans. They must serve their corporate masters and provide a low cost workforce

Of course you support min wage Matt, you're kinda a progressive.

You don't have a problem with a corporations paying people like the sweat shops of china? The minimum wage is in place to give people the chance to make close to enough to survive.

I believe in work, but when you're working, you better be getting enough to eat at least a meal for doing so.

Actually, it is Republucans who hold down the wages of unskilled Americans. They must serve their corporate masters and provide a low cost workforce

Stick it to those Republicans and their corporate masters, deport those poor, exploited illegals.

Stick it to those Republicans and their corporate masters, deport those poor, exploited illegals.

Minimum wage would still be too low

Eliminate the illegal competition, corporate masters will be forced to pay more than the minimum wage.

Minimum wage is a job growth prohibitive

-Geaux

If it takes 12 dollars per hour just to eat and provide some light. How does it not discourage workers if they're making slave wages and can never expect to make it. Further into debt just to maintain enough money to feed themselves.

Think this is fair when mr.pig is making billions?

You know damn sure the rich will take advantage of the workers and do exactly this. Look at the world and open up a history book.

-Geaux

If it takes 12 dollars per hour just to eat and provide some light. How does it not discourage workers if they're making slave wages and can never expect to make it. Further into debt just to maintain enough money to feed themselves.

You know damn sure the rich will take advantage of the workers and do exactly this. Look at the world and open up a history book.

You know damn sure the rich will take advantage of the workers and do exactly this.

Kill the greedy kulaks, eh comrade?

-Geaux

It should discourage workers which in many cases, MOTIVATES them or otherwise encourages them to better position themselves within the market place, whatever it takes i.e., going back to school, or obtain training, etc.

Forum List

Back