I think I might be done with the Catholic Church...

We won't ban God. I just hope the concept goes away naturally. You'd be surprised at what a silly notion the god hypothesis is once you stop believing it. It's not even a theory. Not a scientific one anyways. All we have are lies from walking on water, virgin births, mohammad, joseph smith, burning bushes. Do you realize how ridiculous your religion is? I do.
Why don't you want others to experience the power of faith/God in their lives?
A lie, no matter how good it makes you feel, is still a lie. Isn't that true? Would you want to know if you were adopted for example?

Or how about, "you are healthy as a horse?" when you actually have 5 days to live.

The truth might hurt at first but it's better to know the truth.

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” – Carl Sagan

When Carl Sagan made that comment he had no idea what the afterlife is all about. He was just speaking out his ass. However, he knows now.

Maybe he is sitting in Hell saying "damn, I got that one wrong, didn't I?"

The thing about religion is that it gives us something to believe in. As far as the after life Christians call it "the Peace of the Lord". That is taking away your fear of death knowing that you are a child of God.

Facing death is a terrible thing for all of us. Facing it not knowing that God will have a place for you is even more terrible.

People like Sagan can make flippant atheists statements but he will never have the Peace of the Lord.

I personally think that there is much more to this universe than we can possibly imagine and it is not a sterile space.

I also don't think that the universe magically created itself out of nothing, which is what Sagan will tell you. I think there is an intelligent design to it. God has created a magnificent universe for us and although I don't want to rush it I look forward in the after life to having the questions answered that Sagan spent his life trying to find.

We know why you believe in god.
Actually you don't. But I do keep trying to present you with correct information. Religion is not even in the realm of science (physical matter). There is no matter in the spiritual realm, so why the demand for evidence? Spirituality is more in the realm of philosophy, not science.
Spiritual realm?? Something you can’t prove.

There isn’t one argument you can make that isn’t fatally flawed and already thuroughly covered

That's why I don't talk about this to my family or friends or anyone outside of here. For one, I'm not going to convince anyone who's brainwashed
Have you considered that perhaps it is you have been brainwashed not to believe?

I have found what people think the see in others (in this case "brainwashing") is a mirror image of what they see in themselves.

I know I have not been brainwashed, and I don't imagine that you are, either.
Sure you have. From birth we hear about god like it’s a fact.

We won't ban God. I just hope the concept goes away naturally. You'd be surprised at what a silly notion the god hypothesis is once you stop believing it. It's not even a theory. Not a scientific one anyways. All we have are lies from walking on water, virgin births, mohammad, joseph smith, burning bushes. Do you realize how ridiculous your religion is? I do.
A lie, no matter how good it makes you feel, is still a lie. Isn't that true? Would you want to know if you were adopted for example?

Or how about, "you are healthy as a horse?" when you actually have 5 days to live.

“I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient and worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” – Carl Sagan

When Carl Sagan made that comment he had no idea what the afterlife is all about. He was just speaking out his ass. However, he knows now.

The thing about religion is that it gives us something to believe in. As far as the after life Christians call it "the Peace of the Lord". That is taking away your fear of death knowing that you are a child of God.

Facing death is a terrible thing for all of us. Facing it not knowing that God will have a place for you is even more terrible.

People like Sagan can make flippant atheists statements but he will never have the Peace of the Lord.

I personally think that there is much more to this universe than we can possibly imagine and it is not a sterile space.

I also don't think that the universe magically created itself out of nothing, which is what Sagan will tell you. I think there is an intelligent design to it. God has created a magnificent universe for us and although I don't want to rush it I look forward in the after life to having the questions answered that Sagan spent his life trying to find.
No he won’t tell you it magically happened out of nothing. He may hypothesize such possibilities like a multiverse of how something can come from nothing. Or maybe there never was nothing. Why can you believe a god is eternal but the cosmos not?

There are things we don’t know. You’re playing god of the gaps.

You’re being honest. You want there to be a god and afterlife. That’s why you hope for a god and heaven. And you don’t want to go to hell so u play it safe. And you’re afraid of death. All powerful motivations. Wishful thinking. We certainly shouldn’t pass laws based on this right?

No he won’t tell you it magically happened out of nothing. He may hypothesize such possibilities like a multiverse of how something can come from nothing. Or maybe there never was nothing. Why can you believe a god is eternal but the cosmos not?

You’re being honest. You want there to be a god and afterlife. That’s why you hope for a god and heaven. And you don’t want to go to hell so u play it safe. And you’re afraid of death. All powerful motivations. Wishful thinking. We certainly shouldn’t pass laws based on this right?

I think you may be confused. Sagan believed in The Big Bang. That is the universe creating itself out of nothing. You know, magic. Doesn't even pass the snicker test when you really think about it.

By the way, Faith is not hope. It is reality for those that believe..

Was Sagan a good man? Because we are told the Kingdom of heaven looks for good men. Why do you claim people fear death? I don't--and neither do most of the people I know whether they are people of faith or atheists. Do you fear death? Do all those around you fear death?

Spiritual realm?? Something you can’t prove.
Correct. We are not talking proof because we are not talking about science (matters that deal with physical objects). I don't sit down, solve a simple chemistry equation, and claim I just produced a best seller. When we talk about religion here, we are in the realm of philosophy, not science. If you wish to talk about science, then introduce a material subject can be observed with at least one of the five senses and also be measured.

Yes. Most of you won’t vote for an atheist. You’d rather vote for a pot smoker or cheater. I however hold my nose and vote for theists every 2 years
Most of whom? Believers I know say they would have no problem voting for an atheist if s/he was the best candidate. Are there actual statistics on this? Do atheists fare any worse in the voting booth than Catholics, LDS, or Muslims? Just because religion is a deal breaker for some, doesn't mean it is the deal breaker for all.

I think you may be confused. Sagan believed in The Big Bang. That is the universe creating itself out of nothing. You know, magic. Doesn't even pass the snicker test when you really think about it.

By the way, Faith is not hope. It is reality for those that believe..
Do you care what he thinks existed before the Big Bang? The details of things like the Big Bang and black holes is virtually unknown at this point. Science is putting it all together. You think you know how we got here, not me. Not Sagan.

Yes. Most of you won’t vote for an atheist. You’d rather vote for a pot smoker or cheater. I however hold my nose and vote for theists every 2 years
Most of whom? Believers I know say they would have no problem voting for an atheist if s/he was the best candidate. Are there actual statistics on this? Do atheists fare any worse in the voting booth than Catholics, LDS, or Muslims? Just because religion is a deal breaker for some, doesn't mean it is the deal breaker for all.
Yes they did a poll and atheists did worst than pot smokers and adulterers.

Pretty sure you theists prefer someone believes any god story over no god story at all.
Since my family and extended family has always been a mixture of atheists, Protestants, and Catholics, my perspective is that you would not be able to prove your statement by me--or by California (in my opinion).

As a person of faith, what I would like from atheists is for them to recognize that most of us are very interested in the world--and discovering all that science can teach us about the physical universe in which we live. What interests us as much is not the best way to live one's life, but to have an abundant life. That discussion lies not in the scientific realm (unless all one cares about is material things), but in the realm of philosophy.

I'm not aware of any others that have had scandals of THIS magnitude, with this many perpetrators and this many years of deliberate cover-up, but okay.

christianity et al from the 4th century forward as a religion has never deviated from the errant message of their scriptural bible to truly reflect the events of the 1st century beginning of a homogeneous society without subterfuge and through the Apex of Knowledge pursue the goal of Admission to the Everlasting. at least on Earth if nowhere else.

not everyone is a sinner, revocation of sins to become sinless is possible and necessary in pursuit of spiritual freedom. there is no christ anymoreso than for each that has occurred throughout history suffering the same fate in nearly all instances. the injustice of the 1st century continues to this day.

Pretty sure you theists prefer someone believes any god story over no god story at all.
Since my family and extended family has always been a mixture of atheists, Protestants, and Catholics, my perspective is that you would not be able to prove your statement by me--or by California (in my opinion).

As a person of faith, what I would like from atheists is for them to recognize that most of us are very interested in the world--and discovering all that science can teach us about the physical universe in which we live. What interests us as much is not the best way to live one's life, but to have an abundant life. That discussion lies not in the scientific realm (unless all one cares about is material things), but in the realm of philosophy.
I actually don’t mind theists like you at all. But I don’t consider you the real theists. I believe the radical ones are the real ones. The you’ll go to hell Christians and Gihad muslims. The wacky Mormons and the church that covers up pedophilia.. that’s religion.

And that has nothing to do with believing in god. Well, it plays a part in my thought process but it’s not the only reason I don’t believe in god. I understand why you people want to believe. I get it. I don’t want to take that away from anyone and I doubt I can.

My goal is to educate the world. To stop the Muslim from chopping off an infedels head or a gay kid from killing himself because his catholic parents were told by a gay priest that being gay is a sin. That happened to my neighbor across the hall from me. Not the gihad the gay kid killed himself

I actually don’t mind theists like you at all. But I don’t consider you the real theists. I believe the radical ones are the real ones. The you’ll go to hell Christians and Gihad muslims. The wacky Mormons and the church that covers up pedophilia.. that’s religion.
The radical ones are not the real ones, and they dishearten me because they seem to have this ability to turn people from God instead of towards Him.

And that has nothing to do with believing in god. Well, it plays a part in my thought process but it’s not the only reason I don’t believe in god. I understand why you people want to believe. I get it. I don’t want to take that away from anyone and I doubt I can
Keep in mind that for some of us it is not a matter of wanting to believe--it is not even a matter of faith. Some of us will not be among, "Blessed are those who believe without seeing" because we know, we have seen. We can no more pretend there is no God than you can pretend to believe.

Forum List

Back