If all the cars in the US were EV's how much load would that put on the grid?

There are MANY power losses that occur when charging and EV from the grid. The meter turns more than 33kwh when you store 33kwh in the battery pack.

In 2020, about 123.49 billion gallons (or about 2.94 billion barrels) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States.
I think there are about 33 kwh per gallon...
I agree. So how many KWH would we have to produce to replace 123.49 billion gallons of gasoline?

And how does that compare to the electricity that we currently produce annually in the US?

In 2020, about 123.49 billion gallons (or about 2.94 billion barrels) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States.
I agree. So how many KWH would we have to produce to replace 123.49 billion gallons of gasoline?

And how does that compare to the electricity that we currently produce annually in the US?
I would multiply the 123.49 billion gallons times the 33kwh. You would need more than this though to compensate for the losses.

I would multiply the 123.49 billion gallons times the 33kwh. You would need more than this though to compensate for the losses.
you need 12 KWh of electricity to replace 1 gallon of petroleum

Yes, you would need to multiple 123.49 billion gallons times the 33kwh to arrive at the ballpark estimate for how much extra electrical generation would need to be added to completely replace ICE's with EV's. Of course this assumes that whatever spare capacity which exists today would also exist after the switch to EV's.

Conventional gasoline has an energy content of 116,090 Btus per gallon
1 btu = 0.000293071 kwh
116,090 btu/gal x 0.000293071 kwh/btu = 34.0226 kwh per gal of gasoline

I live in CA where we have rolling blackouts just from people using their air conditioning. I can see the inevitable mess we are looking at when we try plugging in a bunch more EVs. If we can't figure out how to have a reliable grid to support our day to day consumption now, I don't want to see how it handles masses of EVs...

That link refers to petroleum liquids burned at power plants or fuel OIL. They don't burn gasoline at power plants. And we don't burn fuel oil in cars. We burn gasoline in cars.

"...The average number of kWh generated per amount of coal, natural gas, and petroleum liquid fuels consumed by the U.S. electric power sector for electricity generation in 2020 were..."​

Yes, you would need to multiple 123.49 billion gallons times the 33kwh to arrive at the ballpark estimate for how much extra electrical generation would need to be added to completely replace ICE's with EV's. Of course this assumes that whatever spare capacity which exists today would also exist after the switch to EV's.
We should probably factor in how an EV makes better use of 33kwh than and ICE makes of a gallon of gasoline. When you pop the hood of an EV, there is no heat wave radiating out, and they don't continuously leak heat out a tailpipe...

There are MANY power losses that occur when charging and EV from the grid. The meter turns more than 33kwh when you store 33kwh in the battery pack.
There has to be higher flow of voltage to charge the batteries, your alternator that charges your battery charges at 14 volts instead of 12 volts.
You are on the wrong track, you don't understand kwh

About 30% more, and if we had the growth rate from 1960 to 2000, that would take about 6.5 years;

Not that simple. Your neighborhood electrical system may not have been designed to move that many extra electrons into every home, particularly when most people would be charging simultaneously. You would have to have a practical way to keep everybody charged without overloading any part of the system. In addition, most older homes do not have garages and most household seem to have multiple cars so you would have to deal with those practicalities as well. Sure these things can be sorted in time, but they won't be sorted in the 10 years we alleged have left to turn to the tide. Hell, a lot of these problems won't be sorted in ten decades.

The prediction that we only have ten years to save the planet is like the prediction that snow would be a rare event today.

We should probably factor in how an EV makes better use of 33kwh than and ICE makes of a gallon of gasoline. When you pop the hood of an EV, there is no heat wave radiating out, and they don't continuously leak heat out a tailpipe...
I think for the ballpark estimate of how much electrical capacity and transmission that would need to be added we can ignore losses. From my experience most transfers of energy are about 90% efficient. The losses for ICE's is baked into the fuel consumption number. Electrical generation and transmission also has losses. I think a fair estimate is arrived at converting the number of gallons of gasoline consumed into BTU's and then converting those BTU's into KWH and comparing that number to our current generation of electricity. The losses may not perfectly cancel each other out but I don't believe it will make a material impact on the final estimate.

It has been contended that we would only need to add 30%. My calculations show we would need to approximately double our electrical generation and transmission system to fully replace ICE's with EV's.

There has to be higher flow of voltage to charge the batteries, your alternator that charges your battery charges at 14 volts instead of 12 volts.
You are on the wrong track, you don't understand kwh
I must since I worked in the field for many years in the military and industries doing electrical and electronics work.

I think for the ballpark estimate of how much electrical capacity and transmission that would need to be added we can ignore losses. From my experience most transfers of energy are about 90% efficient. The losses for ICE's is baked into the fuel consumption number. Electrical generation and transmission also has losses. I think a fair estimate is arrived at converting the number of gallons of gasoline consumed into BTU's and then converting those BTU's into KWH and comparing that number to our current generation of electricity. The losses may not perfectly cancel each other out but I don't believe it will make a material impact on the final estimate.

It has been contended that we would only need to add 30%. My calculations show we would need to approximately double our electrical generation and transmission system to fully replace ICE's with EV's.
Did you use the variable of a hybrid?

Did you use the variable of a hybrid?
No. The point is to identify boundary conditions of a full conversion.

Forum List

Back