If RBG is gone, how about a deal: Merrick Garland for the wall and immigration reform?

Which option would Nancy and Chuck pick to replace RBG?

• Amy Coney Barrett, Notre Dame professor

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • Merrick Garland, with immigration reform and $25b border security, including wall funding

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Why? Trump will declare a National Emergency, and after KH files an injunction, and the 9th district craps on it, the SCOTUS is next and it will pass muster.

Thus the wall is built

-Geaux

I wouldn’t be so sure
The wall would be a short term victory for Republicans. But allowing and expansion of Presidential powers will have a lasting effect

Democrats will have the same power to declare emergencies to bypass Congress
Just like the Dems Nuclear Option...

-Geaux

Why? Trump will declare a National Emergency, and after KH files an injunction, and the 9th district craps on it, the SCOTUS is next and it will pass muster.

Thus the wall is built

-Geaux

I wouldn’t be so sure
The wall would be a short term victory for Republicans. But allowing and expansion of Presidential powers will have a lasting effect

-Geaux
Exactly
Dems used the Nuclear Option for federal judges and excluded Supreme Court justices
Republicans expanded it to apply to SCOTUS also.
Now it is just 51 percent to approve a judge

Trump is using emergency powers to fund his wall
Dems will use emergency powers to fund healthcare, education and social programs

Thus the wall is built

-Geaux

I wouldn’t be so sure

-Geaux
Exactly
Dems used the Nuclear Option for federal judges and excluded Supreme Court justices

Dems will use emergency powers to fund healthcare, education and social programs

Lol, so dems opened up the floodgates 90% and you are having the vapors over them opening it up the last 10%.....

The wall doesn't impact anyone except for spending tax $$'s, and an amount less than what the government costs to run for a single day.

Dems trying to use it for their programs would cost trillions in additional dollars and impact everyday life for all americans, probably for the worse.

Thus the wall is built

-Geaux

I wouldn’t be so sure

-Geaux
Exactly

Trump using emergency powers is not the latest thinking.
Current thinking is that Trump can scrounge enough already approved money to build the wall without declaring an emergency.
This takes the excuse dems need to use emergencies for big new programs. Not sure how your points that dems could use "emergencies" to create large new social programs works? Emergencies are for re-allocating already approved money, not spending trillions that's not already appropriated. i.e. a few $billion, not $trillions.

Looking for a very big comprehensive deal.
How about this, if RBG is done trump has two options:

1. Amy Coney Barrett, Notre Dame professor
2. Merrick Garland, AND immigration reform, including:

1. No catch & release
2. No diversity lottery
3. No asylum claims unless pre-approved
4. No chain migration
5. Only merit based immigration for who the US needs
6. No birthright citizenship, i.e. no cottage industry for anchor babies
7. DACA kids get green cards but NOT citizenship
8. $25b for the wall and border security,

What do you think Nancy and Chuck would do? Barrett or Garland and border security?
No way. Trump holds all the cards. He's giving the liberals an opportunity to deal something in for themselves. They won't, so they get nada and we will sit out RBG and replace her with a true conservative. And we get our complete wall. Trump asked for $37 B more in the DOD Bill than he needed.

1. No catch & release
2. No diversity lottery
4. No chain migration

What do you think Nancy and Chuck would do? Barrett or Garland and border security?
No....

You can't sell out the SCOTUS to people that hate America.

Thus the wall is built

-Geaux
Congress gave the President to declare immigration emergency. No fucking judge can overrule that for long.

Thus the wall is built

-Geaux

I wouldn’t be so sure

There is no Bill wording to allow the Democrats to declare any emergency except for immigration reasons. They can't declare a gun violence emergency and confiscate guns.

1. No catch & release
2. No diversity lottery
4. No chain migration

Sorry. This isn't up to upChuck and Nazi Pelosi.

1. No catch & release
2. No diversity lottery
4. No chain migration

That’s an absolutely horrible horrible horrible solution for conservatives! Why would you trade $5 billion towards a wall for 30 years of Supreme Court decisions? The SCOTUS appointments are the grand prize for any president. You never ever give up your biggest stick.

Thus the wall is built

-Geaux

I wouldn’t be so sure

There is no Bill wording to allow the Democrats to declare any emergency except for immigration reasons. They can't declare a gun violence emergency and confiscate guns.
Why not?

This is an expansion of presidential powers to declare an emergency at will

If the court declares it allowable, then yes, it could be applied to guns

Works for me

Republicans owe the Dems a Supreme Court pick

SC picks are not like holding onto pickdiddle or punch buggy hits.
Republican actions with Garland created a rift between the parties

It will not go away with Republicans putting out a hand and saying.....Let’s be friends

LOL, that is the event you peg on a "rift" between parties?

Nice try. It started with Bork, and continued with every Republican nominee having to fight for votes, and every Dem nominee being given a pass by my gutless party.

1. No catch & release
2. No diversity lottery
4. No chain migration

No way. Trump holds all the cards. He's giving the liberals an opportunity to deal something in for themselves. They won't, so they get nada and we will sit out RBG and replace her with a true conservative. And we get our complete wall. Trump asked for $37 B more in the DOD Bill than he needed.
It is obvious he doesn’t hold the cards

Pelosi keeps slapping him down

Works for me

It will not go away with Republicans putting out a hand and saying.....Let’s be friends

Nice try. It started with Bork, and continued with every Republican nominee having to fight for votes, and every Dem nominee being given a pass by my gutless party.
Bork was given a hearing and was rejected. That is the way the system was designed to work.

Garland creates a whole new ballgame. It will not go away with the President saying ...let’s play nice

Works for me

Bork was given a hearing and was rejected. That is the way the system was designed to work.

Garland creates a whole new ballgame. It will not go away with the President saying ...let’s play nice

Garland wasn't the first nominee to get no hearing, to get no vote. He won't be the last.

Works for me

Bork was smeared with bullshit and the Dems played partisan hack-ball over a qualified individual.

Works for me

Garland wasn't the first nominee to get no hearing, to get no vote. He won't be the last.
First in a hundred years

But you are correct. He won’t be the last
Republicans have created a new norm for filling court vacancies
Vacancies will now remain unfilled until a President of your party takes office

Works for me

Bork was smeared with bullshit and the Dems played partisan hack-ball over a qualified individual.
Bork did not even get all Republicans to vote for him. Reagan still got to fill the seat
Something Obama was denied

Forum List

Back