If Trump opted to resign and form a 3rd party, would his supporters...

Serious question posed in the thread's title to Trump supporters who are (mostly) republicans and even some right-leaning democrats.

So, given the very real fact that Trump is turning AGAINST the republican led congress while still deriding democrats such as Obama and Clinton, AND given that he is finding it a bit more difficult than expected to drain that proverbial D.C. swamp, Trump may opt to resign and perhaps start a uniquely trump-like 3rd party.........

Would current Trump backers follow him were he to do so?

DEFINITELY--the Trump supporter will go to the grave with Donald Trump. They wouldn't care if Vladimir Putin moved his desk into the Oval office--they would still hang in there with Trump, no matter what he did, no matter what he said or tweeted or if he started WW3. They will be faithful to the end. They are a different breed of people in this nation, and they are now able to choose the news in the manner they want to receive it, via right wing wing talk show hosts on radio & T.V. IOW--the news they WANT to hear.

Here is a great article on the mind of a Trump supporter.

"Thereā€™s no doubt that Donald Trump has said many things that would have been political suicide for any other Republican candidate. And almost every time he made one of these shocking statements, political analysts on both the left and the right predicted that heā€™d lose supporters because of it. But as we have clearly seen over the past year, they were dead wrong every time. Trump appears to be almost totally bulletproof.

The only thing that might be more perplexing than the psychology of Donald Trump is the psychology of his supporters. In their eyes, The Donald can do no wrong. Even Trump himself seems to be astonished by this phenomenon. ā€œI could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldnā€™t lose any voters, OK? Itā€™s, like, incredible.ā€

The Dunning-Kruger Effect:

Some believe that many of those who support Donald Trump do so because of ignorance ā€” basically they are under-informed or misinformed about the issues at hand. When Trump tells them that crime is skyrocketing in the United States, or that the economy is the worst itā€™s ever been, they simply take his word for it.

The seemingly obvious solution would be to try to reach those people through political ads, expert opinions, and logical arguments that educate with facts. Except none of those things seem to be swaying any Trump supporters from his side, despite great efforts to deliver this information to them directly.

The Dunning-Kruger effect explains that the problem isnā€™t just that they are misinformed; itā€™s that they are completely unaware that they are misinformed. This creates a double burden.

Studies have shown that people who lack expertise in some area of knowledge often have a cognitive bias that prevents them from realizing that they lack expertise. As psychologist David Dunning puts it in an op-ed for Politico, ā€œThe knowledge and intelligence that are required to be good at a task are often the same qualities needed to recognize that one is not good at that task ā€” and if one lacks such knowledge and intelligence, one remains ignorant that one is not good at the task. This includes political judgment.ā€ Essentially, theyā€™re not smart enough to realize theyā€™re dumb.

And if one is under the illusion that they have sufficient or even superior knowledge, then they have no reason to defer to anyone elseā€™s judgment. This helps explain why even nonpartisan experts ā€” like military generals and Independent former Mayor of New York/billionaire CEO Michael Bloomberg ā€” as well as some respected Republican politicians, donā€™t seem to be able to say anything that can change the minds of loyal Trump followers.

Out of immense frustration, some of us may feel the urge to shake a Trump supporter and say, ā€œHey! Donā€™t you realize that heā€™s an idiot?!ā€ No. They donā€™t. That may be hard to fathom, but thatā€™s the nature of the Dunning-Kruger effect ā€” oneā€™s ignorance is completely invisible to them."
A neuroscientist explains what may be wrong with Trump supportersā€™ brains
supporters-brains/

trumpshockreuters.jpg

Which leads to the question--where does a Trump supporter get their information from? That leads them to believe that they're well informed and sometimes even believe they have "superior" political knowledge.

They get it from 3 or more daily hours of right wing hyperbole, half truths, misconceptions and enough conspiracy theories to fill the capital building from floor to ceiling from the below right wing talk show hosts. These right wing talk show hosts regurgitate information and then spoon fed it back to their audiences into the news they want to hear.

Even if Trump is impeached and irrefutable evidence is laid out on the table the below right wing talk show hosts will still support Trump, and their listeners will go along. They'll come up with some conspiracy theory and they'll run with it and their listeners will believe every word of it. Simply because they want to believe it.

conservative-media-cover-edit.png

Donald Trump broke the conservative media

"It is not entirely true that Trump engineered a ā€œhostile takeoverā€ of the GOP, provided that the party is defined more broadly than elected officials and party insiders. As Conor Friedersdorf wrote last year in the Atlantic: ā€œthe elements of the party that sent pro-Trump cues or 'Trump is at least acceptableā€™ signals to primary votersā€”Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Michael Savage, Bill O'Reilly, Sarah Palin, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, Jeff Sessions, Rick Scott, Jan Brewer, Joe Arpaio, Breitbart.com, The Drudge Report, The New York Post, ā€”are simply more powerful, relative to National Review, Mitt Romney, John McCain, and other ā€˜Trump is unacceptableā€™ forces, than previously thought.ā€

The GOP That Failed

Last edited:
On what planet would trump resign and then start a third party? It's got to be dumbest hypothetical ever.

Hey I'm going to give up my office to start a third party and um run for my office again....

Yeah that's going to happen. Never mind that it would be an freaking stupid plan to give up power to seek it again. Why would Trump, who currently runs the GOP, want to start a new party? He has already coopted the GOP.
/---/ Logic is not nat4900's strong point. He's frustrated that we don't latch on to his kook theories.

Serious question posed in the thread's title to Trump supporters who are (mostly) republicans and even some right-leaning democrats.

So, given the very real fact that Trump is turning AGAINST the republican led congress while still deriding democrats such as Obama and Clinton, AND given that he is finding it a bit more difficult than expected to drain that proverbial D.C. swamp, Trump may opt to resign and perhaps start a uniquely trump-like 3rd party.........

/----/ What if Hillary renounced her US Citizenship and formed her own country? Would her voter base follower her and elect her Queen?

Amazing that he and countless others can't figure out calling people stupid, racists, bigots, etc doesn't convince them to vote for you

When some voters ARE stupid, racists, bigots, well, then, yeah, who the hell wants their vote even if it means losing an election. Ethics 101.

Well, you don't have to remain that way. You an educate yourself. Or you can stop complaining when you lose elections falsely accusing others of things you are guilty of

Last edited:
In other words, you cant

MORON, starting another party does NOT necessarily mean running for president..Trump has always wanted his narcissistic ego inflated....and he has now noticed that sitting in the oval office is a bitch.......and that is why he has already spent more than 40 days golfing.

So you think someone with Trumps ego is going to start a third party to give someone else power? The power he already has? Rather than just keep his power and the republican party he has coopted?

On what planet is that a rational move?

On what planet would trump resign and then start a third party? It's got to be dumbest hypothetical ever.

Hey I'm going to give up my office to start a third party and um run for my office again....

Yeah that's going to happen. Never mind that it would be an freaking stupid plan to give up power to seek it again. Why would Trump, who currently runs the GOP, want to start a new party? He has already coopted the GOP.
/---/ Logic is not nat4900's strong point. He's frustrated that we don't latch on to his kook theories.

Clearly.

He would not need to resign. All he has to do is change his voter registration to show affiliation other than Republican.

His supporters may not change but they'll continue to back and vote for him.

He would not need to resign. All he has to do is change his voter registration to show affiliation other than Republican.

/----/ Excellent reply to the most idiotic question posted ever on USMB. I'm guessing nat4900 didn't consider that simple option.

/

----/ So nat, you never responded to my question: /What if Hillary renounced her US Citizenship and formed her own country? Would her voter base follower her and elect her Queen?

Of course, he could do the above.....well remembering that Trump was a registered democrat just a few years ago until he decided to make his infamy with the birther movement.

My O/P was trying to gauge the difference between "love of Trump"and "love of party" since Trump has berated the republican congress for doing little (while,of course, he is out golfing).....

The difference were Trump to opt for a 3rd party is that he would then lose (perhaps) the financial support of the RNC and would have to finally dip into his own pockets to fund a 3rd party.

Of course, he could do the above.....well remembering that Trump was a registered democrat just a few years ago until he decided to make his infamy with the birther movement.

My O/P was trying to gauge the difference between "love of Trump"and "love of party" since Trump has berated the republican congress for doing little (while,of course, he is out golfing).....

The difference were Trump to opt for a 3rd party is that he would then lose (perhaps) the financial support of the RNC and would have to finally dip into his own pockets to fund a 3rd party.
/----/ What if Hillary renounced her US Citizenship and formed her own country? Would her voter base follower her and elect her Queen?

-/ So nat, you never responded to my question: /What if Hillary renounced her US Citizenship and formed her own country? Would her voter base follower her and elect her Queen?

You're more idiotic than usual....(a hard task, btw.)

I, for one, have long disliked the Clintons......but a choice between Hillary and the clown, Donald, was not a hard one to make..........Remember Trump's own quip:"I love the poorly educated"??? LOL

-/ So nat, you never responded to my question: /What if Hillary renounced her US Citizenship and formed her own country? Would her voter base follower her and elect her Queen?

I, for one, have long disliked the Clintons......but a choice between Hillary and the clown, Donald, was not a hard one to make..........Remember Trump's own quip:"I love the poorly educated"??? LOL
/----/ My questions is just as valid and logical as yours. "What if Hillary renounced her US Citizenship and formed her own country? Would her voter base follower her and elect her Queen?"

/----/ ""I love the poorly educated"??? LOL" That means libs hate poorly educated people. Why are you so filled with hate for the less fortunate?

Trump has simple solutions for what were thought to be complex problems. Trump declares a problem solved and some rejoice and Trump moves on to the next problem.

Forum List

Back