If you could go back in time, what year would you choose?

• Banned
Me,,,,
1. I'd need computer
2. I'd need internet
3. I'd need a sane president that promotes my rights and freedoms

So I'd choose 2009. And once I lived to say 2015 I'd go back to 2009 again.

What dress would you wear for the trip back to ObammyLand?

I am currently wearing a purple dress with pink panties. ;)

I'd make a killing selling barf bags on Wall St

Me,,,,
1. I'd need computer
2. I'd need internet

What dress would you wear for the trip back to ObammyLand?

I am currently wearing a purple dress with pink panties. ;)

Not very patriotic bro.

HanoiJane.jpg

Uncle Ferd says it wouldn't do much good...

... to go back to before ya was born...

... since ya didn't live in dat time continuum.

Me,,,,
1. I'd need computer
2. I'd need internet

The day the first man was created and shoot it, so I could save humanity and the Universe from the mistake we have witness...

( not joking )

I'd like to watch Gobekli Tepe being sculpted and assembled by so-called hunter-gatherers that apparently lived in caves and wore tiger skin underwear.

Last edited:
One Million Years BCE.

Raquel-Welch_2166050b.jpg

You wouldn't even need a BMW to impress a girl. A single wheel would do it.

I'd like to watch Gobekli Tepe being sculpted and assembled by so-called hunter-gatherers that apparently lived in caves and wore tiger skin underwear.
image: http://public.media.smithsonianmag.com/filer/e1/85/e1853b98-e2b8-4b66-9456-a0e0f646f97e/geico.jpg

geico.jpg

Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
Predating Stonehenge by 6,000 years, Turkey’s stunning Gobekli Tepe upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization
................................................................................................................................................
Prehistoric people would have gazed upon herds of gazelle and other wild animals; gently flowing rivers, which attracted migrating geese and ducks; fruit and nut trees; and rippling fields of wild barley and wild wheat varieties such as emmer and einkorn. "This area was like a paradise," says Schmidt, a member of the German Archaeological Institute. Indeed, Gobekli Tepe sits at the northern edge of the Fertile Crescent—an arc of mild climate and arable land from the Persian Gulf to present-day Lebanon, Israel, Jordan and Egypt—and would have attracted hunter-gatherers from Africa and the Levant. And partly because Schmidt has found no evidence that people permanently resided on the summit of Gobekli Tepe itself, he believes this was a place of worship on an unprecedented scale—humanity's first "cathedral on a hill."
...................................................................................................................................................
Schmidt returned a year later with five colleagues and they uncovered the first megaliths, a few buried so close to the surface they were scarred by plows. As the archaeologists dug deeper, they unearthed pillars arranged in circles. Schmidt's team, however, found none of the telltale signs of a settlement: no cooking hearths, houses or trash pits, and none of the clay fertility figurines that litter nearby sites of about the same age. The archaeologists did find evidence of tool use, including stone hammers and blades. And because those artifacts closely resemble others from nearby sites previously carbon-dated to about 9000 B.C., Schmidt and co-workers estimate that Gobekli Tepe's stone structures are the same age. Limited carbon dating undertaken by Schmidt at the site confirms this assessment.

The way Schmidt sees it, Gobekli Tepe's sloping, rocky ground is a stonecutter's dream. Even without metal chisels or hammers, prehistoric masons wielding flint tools could have chipped away at softer limestone outcrops, shaping them into pillars on the spot before carrying them a few hundred yards to the summit and lifting them upright. Then, Schmidt says, once the stone rings were finished, the ancient builders covered them over with dirt. Eventually, they placed another ring nearby or on top of the old one. Over centuries, these layers created the hilltop.

Read more: Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple? | History | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

The people of 11,000 years ago were every bit as smart as we are today. Living in an area that allowed them spare time from obtaining the neccessites of life, they were completely capable of such a monument.

As far as the time I would like to have been born in, I would pick a time that would have allowed me to be a mountain man. Those were the freest men that ever existed.

image: http://public.media.smithsonianmag.com/filer/e1/85/e1853b98-e2b8-4b66-9456-a0e0f646f97e/geico.jpg

geico.jpg

Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple?
Predating Stonehenge by 6,000 years, Turkey’s stunning Gobekli Tepe upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization
................................................................................................................................................
Prehistoric people would have gazed upon herds of gazelle and other wild animals; gently flowing rivers, which attracted migrating geese and ducks; fruit and nut trees; and rippling fields of wild barley and wild wheat varieties such as emmer and einkorn. "This area was like a paradise," says Schmidt, a member of the German Archaeological Institute. Indeed, Gobekli Tepe sits at the northern edge of the Fertile Crescent—an arc of mild climate and arable land from the Persian Gulf to present-day Lebanon, Israel, Jordan and Egypt—and would have attracted hunter-gatherers from Africa and the Levant. And partly because Schmidt has found no evidence that people permanently resided on the summit of Gobekli Tepe itself, he believes this was a place of worship on an unprecedented scale—humanity's first "cathedral on a hill."
...................................................................................................................................................
Schmidt returned a year later with five colleagues and they uncovered the first megaliths, a few buried so close to the surface they were scarred by plows. As the archaeologists dug deeper, they unearthed pillars arranged in circles. Schmidt's team, however, found none of the telltale signs of a settlement: no cooking hearths, houses or trash pits, and none of the clay fertility figurines that litter nearby sites of about the same age. The archaeologists did find evidence of tool use, including stone hammers and blades. And because those artifacts closely resemble others from nearby sites previously carbon-dated to about 9000 B.C., Schmidt and co-workers estimate that Gobekli Tepe's stone structures are the same age. Limited carbon dating undertaken by Schmidt at the site confirms this assessment.

The way Schmidt sees it, Gobekli Tepe's sloping, rocky ground is a stonecutter's dream. Even without metal chisels or hammers, prehistoric masons wielding flint tools could have chipped away at softer limestone outcrops, shaping them into pillars on the spot before carrying them a few hundred yards to the summit and lifting them upright. Then, Schmidt says, once the stone rings were finished, the ancient builders covered them over with dirt. Eventually, they placed another ring nearby or on top of the old one. Over centuries, these layers created the hilltop.

Read more: Gobekli Tepe: The World’s First Temple? | History | Smithsonian
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! Give the gift of Smithsonian
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

The people of 11,000 years ago were every bit as smart as we are today. Living in an area that allowed them spare time from obtaining the neccessites of life, they were completely capable of such a monument.

As far as the time I would like to have been born in, I would pick a time that would have allowed me to be a mountain man. Those were the freest men that ever existed.

These are good theories, don't get me wrong. I just want to see it though. There are advanced mathematics involved in the building of these structures. That takes learning, which takes teaching, etc., etc.. I'd want to see it all for myself, in all of its splendor.

Personally, I think the "Dark Ages" as we refer to them, were one of but many cultural collapses over the course of history. Untold knowledge would have been lost over the accumulated cycles.

I'd go back to 1967, Haight-Ashbury, San Francisco.

I'd turn on, tune in, drop acid and become a roadie for the Grateful Dead.

wwwshamanelectrocom2g5R1rjabbro1_400.gif
53e921ba67680b1f145c778b7eab5131.gif
VEXD2mn.gif

m4SJuIi.gif

Forum List

Back