🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Indiana school superintendent charged after pretending sick student was her son to get him treatment

Why is this even news?
Because our travesty & inhumane healthcare system is bankrupting families & killing patients. It’s gutting the middle class & working poor more than any other social woe.

I suspect that’s why it’s news. A woman risked her career to shove aside red tape on a timely disease that can kill or damage the heart quickly.

Hence: news.

Looks to me like the woman committed fraud. Not really news worthy in my opinion. I didn't read where the parents of the kid reason for not seeking medical care for him was because a lack of insurance.
You didn’t read the article at all. Else you would know his parents are out of the picture & he is tenuously living with a relative. Removing him from the one place he feels roots now would add to the stress the disease is already taking advantage of. So the lady acted quickly; knew his personal limitations well & saved a life at risk to her career.

Why is this even news?
Because our travesty & inhumane healthcare system is bankrupting families & killing patients. It’s gutting the middle class & working poor more than any other social woe.

I suspect that’s why it’s news. A woman risked her career to shove aside red tape on a timely disease that can kill or damage the heart quickly.

Looks to me like the woman committed fraud. Not really news worthy in my opinion. I didn't read where the parents of the kid reason for not seeking medical care for him was because a lack of insurance.
You didn’t read the article at all. Else you would know his parents are out of the picture & he is tenuously living with a relative. Removing him from the one place he feels roots now would add to the stress the disease is already taking advantage of. So the lady acted quickly; knew his personal limitations well & saved a life at risk to her career.

So the teachers reasoning had nothing to do with whether or not the child had health coverage.

It sure is sustainable and I'm living proof.
No you aren't. That is not how risk works. The stats over the whole tell us what is sustainable, not a personal anecdote. And the number one cause of bankruptcy shows us it is not sustainable.

The world doesn't tell me what sustains me. That is up to me. Just because you and others have a hard time sustaining yourselves and need to rely on the government says more about you than it does about me.

Everything is going to work out well for the lady. According to the link:

S"mitherman’s attorney said that an agreement had been made with the Madison County Prosecutor’s Office which would mean that she won’t have to plead guilty or be given a criminal record over the incident, although she may be required to pay a fine and do community service.

“It’s already been determined she is not going to have any convictions for what she did,” her attorney Bryan Williams told the Herald. “That’s the prosecutor’s realization she made a mistake but with good intentions. It’s not like they are giving her special treatment. This is for people who have never had arrests or convictions before.”

In addition, it appears she will not lose her job.

It's a very good ending for everyone concerned.
Not to mention shes going to be everyones hero for a long time. Her hand is going to get sore from all the high 5s.

Why is this even news?

The reason why you didn't read about the parents and medical attention is because you didn't read the article. If you had you would not have posted the above.

If you had read the article you would have read this:

According to court documents, Smitherman and her husband had been helping the student—who lives with a relative and not his parents—since July, providing him with clothes and cleaning the house where he lived.

On January 9, the 15-year-old student missed school due to an illness and, upon finding out, Smitherman stopped by his guardian’s home to make sure he was okay.

“After making sure he had eaten, I could tell he had some of the symptoms of strep throat,” Smitherman told the Herald. “As a parent, I know how serious this illness can be if left untreated, and I took him to an emergency clinic.”

However, because she was not the boy's guardian and he is under 18, the clinic would not assess him. Undeterred, she then took him to St. Vincent Immediate Care in Elwood and used her insurance to get him seen under her son’s name. She also procured some antibiotics for him from a pharmacy using this method.

The documents show that the student tore the prescription label off his medication because he knew it was bad to possess drugs meant for someone else.

“I knew he did not have insurance, and I wanted to do all I could to help him get well,” Smitherman said. “I know this action was wrong. In the moment, my only concern was for this child’s health.”

Forum List

Back