Internet and the Rise of Incivility and Hate Crimes

It doesn't matter if it was only in the past decade (those are just convenient goalposts). It's not about Trump supporters. Only democrats protest violently? No. Just in this particular election it was anti-trumpers. You're just trying to find ways of excusing the hate that your own side generates.

Is it so hard to just condemn it and find ways of combating it?
You're welcome to document right here the hatred from My side. Show Me where conservatives have silenced the left. Show Me the violent protests to keep leftwing speakers from any event, let alone a University one.

I have been discussing politics and ideology for four decades. In those decades, it has almost exclusively been the left who name-call those who disagree with them. Have conservatives returned the favor, yes, but not untl just recently (maybe the past 9 years).

I have been called a ****, whore who spreads her legs for free birth control, terrorist, excrement, anti-American, and been told I should be shot for treason and raped.

Even today, when discussing policy and issues, if you think that a secure border is a good thing, you're called a dozen vile names.

I agree, and that is the intolerance of my side who typically claim to be the side of tolerance. It should be combated. Just because you feel a wall is a good thing doesn't make one a racist. On the other hand, if I argue for the admission of Syrian refugees - how am I treated? I'm accused of wanting wanting to let in hordes of unvetted people, supporting terrorists, hating my country. Not exactly cool either.

If you think that the Federal Government should not be responsible for social culture but deal with other nations ALMOST exclusively, your called a different set of vile names. If you think that not every regulation is valid, you get immediately accused of wanting foul water, filthy landscapes, radioactive oceans, and dirty air.

Resorting to name calling is the sign of someone who can't form a coherent argument. I'll agree with that. But it's not one side.

I'm pro-choice. I'm called a baby murderer, a slut, genocidal and those are the nice things.

Sorry, but you simply cannot make the case that incivility is anything but a left-wing norm.

I see it as endemic in both arenas. But we are also individuals who can choose how to respond irrespective of our ideologies.
Like I said, it has been the past nine years or so that those on the right have begun to use the same tactics on the left. I don't excuse it, but I do understand it.

I do agree that as a whole, the entire nation has become much more prone to nastiness and vile rhetoric. But you won't see the escalation of violence from the right that we have seen from the left.

I am of the belief that we are on the edge of a civil war.

What you see as an ideological issue, I'm seeing as more of a generational issue.

I'm guessing you and I might be close in age. I was taught you simply don't say some things to people and you treat people with courteousy though we all get p.o.'d occassionally.

Younger people are more likely to act and react passionately and with less impulse control (typically students). There has also been a substantial shift in what's considered appropriate and not appropriate from my youth to today's youth.

Young people age and as they do, many become more conservative. We've heard over and over how many conservatives are older than liberals. When you are saying it's only been in the last dozen years that conservatives have started acting rude, and it's in response to the left's rudeness - I'm going to disagree. It's not. It's a more rude, more in your face free speech generation aging into conservatism that is causing the difference in tone.

That's how I see it.
I don't disagree with this except to say that it has long since gone beyond simple manners of not saying some things. It has morphed into active silencing of speech.

That has been what PC has been about for decades.

Anyhow, I've spent enough time on this forum for today. I need to do something I find interesting and relaxing.

Have a nice day.

If you are talking about what is happening on university campus' - I agree with you wholeheartedly. That kind of silencing goes against what a university is about and they should be ashamed.

Have a nice day too :)

When it comes from leadership, it takes on a different perspective. It's legitimized.
I think Trump is just imitating reality not driving it.

He has not driven anything quite yet, other than driving his closest allies to suicide maybe.

I think it is people as a whole. I don't think it is left or right, but the person. One chooses to hate, or not to hate. No political ideology forces anyone one way or another.
This is all where personal responsibility comes into play.
You're forgetting about class warfare though, dear Kat .

Republicans hate paying taxes even if they are rich. They want the shrinking middle class and working poor to pay it.

Democrats envy the Republicans and want them (the latter) to pay more tax like they used to pre-Reagan.

Democrats need ACA.

Republicans hate having had ACA shoved down their throats by BHO like they did when Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi ran Congress.

Democrats want abortion on demand right up to birth.

Republicans are anti abortion -- they call it murder.

60% of Republicans own guns -- half of which are assault carbines.

Only 25% of Democrats own guns -- and they tend to shy away from assault carbines.

Republicans hate same sex marriage even though the SCOTUS ruled in favor of it (thanks to Kennedy).

Republicans hate ACA even though the SCOTUS ruled in favor of it (including Roberts).

Lots of divisiveness -- enough to go around.

Yes, I agree there is enough divisiveness to go around, but, we as individuals still choose how we will deal with things. Many disagree with me, but I don't hate them. Maybe some hate me (that's their problem), but I also as a whole can get along with most anyone. KWIM?
I guess that is why I always try and make it clear that I am not a R or a D, but an individual. I make the choice not to hate, or to hate. We all do.
I hate Cruz for filibustering to shut down the Govt the last time he did it.

I hate Boehner for lying to the American people and wasting time with his repeal votes instead of getting anything practical done.

I hate W and Cheney for their yellowcake lies.

That's my very short hate list.

Hillary has her pro's and con's. The con's are heavier.

Pelosi has her pro's and con's. And she is an eloquent speaker. I disagree with her on guns.

Chuck Schumer is the People's only hope for moderation upon the GOP now in power. I am starting to like him more.

McConnell is a mixed bag in my book. He obstructed BHO. Had Tip Oneill done that then Reagan would never have gotten anything done.

I don't trust Paul Ryan -- he is a far right fanatical wolf in sheep's clothing.

I disagree....I think the internet, and by extension chat mediums, twitter etc has a lot to do with it. When people aren't face to face, a lot of social barriers break down - not seeing people's reaction removes an important check and balance to social interactions. It's easier to be mean, cruel, to not see the other as a person. I think that is slowly changing the way we interact.

I totally agree that social media now plays a big part in it.

There's another aspect to it also, and this is going to be a real issue for Trump and for the public and media in figuring out how to deal with Trump and that is the unfiltered instantaneousness of it.

Twitter - no depth, fast, immediate, short, reaches millions in second.

That means in a moment of anger, or thoughtlessness you send something that normally would sit in your mind, as you composed something longer, you would have time to think on it before releasing it, and you'd "self-filter". I was listening to something on NPR...might have been Radiolab, can't recall on exactly this sort of thing. How, in one example, a woman's life was destroyed because she tweeted something that became viral. She was young, visiting Africa - made a joke about Ebola and not getting it cause she was white" and it went viral. She was totally demonized, by people who didn't even know her, never met her, got death threats, hate mail, lost her job - it was unreal.
Yup exactly.

I sure hope the Marine with the suitcase keeps Trump's finger off the button.

I am of the belief that we are on the edge of a civil war.

I have been thinking, and saying that since long before Obama was in office, so it would be during the Bush years for sure. Maybe longer. And it now is worse many times over.

If we do that then the elite squad wins. We are disposable whether we are homeless in the city, trailer in the country or in a tri-level home in the suburbs. Just like the last civil war.

But, I agree.

Political correctness was the pendulum of culture swinging to far to the left. But now, we're seeing the opposite. The anti-political correctness crowd, culminating in Trump's electoral victory is encouraging a far more open and socially accepted form of hate. Where it used to be socially condemned, it's now applauded, as free speech and part of the mainstream, set against the backdrop of rabid anti-immigrant and anti-other fears.

How The Internet Fueled The Rise In Hate Crimes In California | Fast Company | The Future Of Business

Messages about the “otherness” of immigrants have gained an expansive audience. “Bigots have become especially nuanced and skillful at hanging onto the coattails of important public policy debates that are going on in the mainstream,” Levin says. “There’s an online cottage industry that attaches bigotry to real policy issues from national security to free speech on campus to the economy.”

“Some groups continue to promote overt racism and bigotry,” Levin continues, “but some are changing their branding, or toning down the swastikas. And their arguments are no longer that Latinos and immigrants are genetically inferior. It’s that they’re culturally or religiously inapposite to American ideals. Or sometimes the message is shrouded in the idea that we’re under attack from terrorists.”

Scrubbed of the eugenics ideology or race war rhetoric that may have helped spawn them, and freed from the stigma that comes from being the clear intellectual property of Nazi skinheads or the Ku Klux Klan, many of these messages about the otherness of immigrants have gained an expansive audience among Americans who might not embrace them in their raw form. While these views haven’t been given much credence on NBC’s Meet the Press or in the op-ed pages of the Washington Post, they’re regularly part of the conversation on Fox News, and they constitute the bread and butter of breitbart.com—which now enjoys a monthly readership greater than the entire populations of Great Britain, Germany, or France.
Rise of hate crimes in America, certainly they are no more prevalent now than when the Democratic Party's militant arm, the KKK was terrorizing minorities.

You realize that the Dems of those days were conservatives right? Dixiecrats? When Dems embraced civil rights finally, they fled to the Pubs who were ecstatic to win the south and had no problems embracing them.

Hate crimes have gone up. That is a trend that should disturb us.
Conservatives riiiiight. The old switch sides myth and something about southern strategies.
The Myth of ‘the Southern Strategy’

Political correctness was the pendulum of culture swinging to far to the left. But now, we're seeing the opposite. The anti-political correctness crowd, culminating in Trump's electoral victory is encouraging a far more open and socially accepted form of hate. Where it used to be socially condemned, it's now applauded, as free speech and part of the mainstream, set against the backdrop of rabid anti-immigrant and anti-other fears.

How The Internet Fueled The Rise In Hate Crimes In California | Fast Company | The Future Of Business

Messages about the “otherness” of immigrants have gained an expansive audience. “Bigots have become especially nuanced and skillful at hanging onto the coattails of important public policy debates that are going on in the mainstream,” Levin says. “There’s an online cottage industry that attaches bigotry to real policy issues from national security to free speech on campus to the economy.”

“Some groups continue to promote overt racism and bigotry,” Levin continues, “but some are changing their branding, or toning down the swastikas. And their arguments are no longer that Latinos and immigrants are genetically inferior. It’s that they’re culturally or religiously inapposite to American ideals. Or sometimes the message is shrouded in the idea that we’re under attack from terrorists.”

Scrubbed of the eugenics ideology or race war rhetoric that may have helped spawn them, and freed from the stigma that comes from being the clear intellectual property of Nazi skinheads or the Ku Klux Klan, many of these messages about the otherness of immigrants have gained an expansive audience among Americans who might not embrace them in their raw form. While these views haven’t been given much credence on NBC’s Meet the Press or in the op-ed pages of the Washington Post, they’re regularly part of the conversation on Fox News, and they constitute the bread and butter of breitbart.com—which now enjoys a monthly readership greater than the entire populations of Great Britain, Germany, or France.
Rise of hate crimes in America, certainly they are no more prevalent now than when the Democratic Party's militant arm, the KKK was terrorizing minorities.

You realize that the Dems of those days were conservatives right? Dixiecrats? When Dems embraced civil rights finally, they fled to the Pubs who were ecstatic to win the south and had no problems embracing them.

Conservatives riiiiight. The old switch sides myth and something about southern strategies.

Who supported segregation? Conservatives.
Who supported and comprised the KKK? Conservatives.
Who fought integration? Conservatives.
Who insisted on Jim Crowe? Conservatives.

Parties mean little - ideologies change within a party. You can fairly ague that liberals create a reverse racism with affirmative action. You can fairly argue that the view that certain groups can't succeed without special help is racist. But own your own side's attitudes as well.

It's legitimizing it.

And that's something new coming from our "leadership".
It is legitamate. That's how some peoe feel. And they should feel free to express themselves every bit as much as any other American.

When it comes from leadership, it takes on a different perspective. It's legitimized.
So why are the leaders in the Democrat party not denouncing (on a daily basis) the violence from the left? I have to conclude that they are legitimizing the violent silencing of opposing views.

Can you be specific?
Seattle, Washington, D.C., New York, Chicago.

5 Shot, 2 Life-Threatening Injuries During Anti-Trump Protest In Seattle | Zero Hedge

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi2ysKpqsDSAhVI2IMKHcq8DLgQFggcMAA&url=http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/hate-on-the-rise-after-trumps-election&usg=AFQjCNHpOwwEXZKr__W69FY3_Gdlvf3bFg&sig2=cOJzeg-3uKvjvc_yTeFFvg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi2ysKpqsDSAhVI2IMKHcq8DLgQFgg4MAU&url=http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/11/us/oregon-protest-riot/&usg=AFQjCNGW-k233kUCA0z-l7FY08CL5_Dnmw&sig2=JWHmDYKnO9mHgevEWZNoDA

and dozens more. A willingness to look at ourselves in reports on google search is all it takes to expose the violence being perpetrated.

What you need ask yourself is this. What are they protesting? The legally and duly elected GOP candidate to the Office of President.

This means that they are sending the message that we will get violent if we don't get our way.

That is not the cause of incivility on the Internet. It is caused by the breakdown of good parenting.

Bundy ranch:

bundy-ranch.jpg

Parties mean little - ideologies change within a party. You can fairly ague that liberals create a reverse racism with affirmative action. You can fairly argue that the view that certain groups can't succeed without special help is racist. But own your own side's attitudes as well.

I fixed your post you seem to be severally lacking in the historical department.
Who supported segregation? Democrats.
Who supported and comprised the KKK? Democrats.
Who fought integration? Democrats.
Who insisted on Jim Crowe? Democrats.

I fixed your post you seem to be severally lacking in the historical department.

Here we go again, in Professor Peabody's Way back machine, revisiting the history of the democratic party before 96% of present day Americans were born...specifically before the Dixiecrats left the Democratic Party in 1948.

AGAIN. You are conflating Party with Ideology. Try again.

It is no more correct to blame the left for anarchists among the crowd, than to blame conservatives for white supremacists. What the left seems to be doing is calling others haters, clearly attacking others with hate and violence.

I think we all - left and right - have a responsibility to tackle this, not normalize it. It's not a "partisan" issue. It's a cultural trend that is disturbing imo.
Absolutely agree with you. I know many conservatives that are just as dismayed by this kind of nonsense as any liberal. In fact, in Montana, a traditionally conservative area, near Bozeman, there was a spate of windows with menorah's in them during the Christmas season being broken. Within a week, there were many, many more windows with cutouts of the Menorah in them. This is how people of good will respond to the vile haters.

The day after Trump won, I went on the internet and had a custom made bumper sticker made, reading, "Not My President", but I have not put it on my 2013 Accord, because so far, it doesn't have a scratch on it, and I would rather it not be vandalized. However, Trump gets more outrageous every day, and I will probably put the sticker on it after the next car wash. If it motivates someone into vandalizing my car, I guess I could live with knowing that I am right and the vandal is wrong.

Ah yes it's all Trumps fault like Obama's dividing the country along racial lines had absolutely nothing to do with it. This isn't the reaction of Trump, this is the pendulum correcting itself after 8 years of PC bullshit at the hands of Obama and ridiculous leftist thumb sucking policy. Lets take the blame out of it's safe space and put it where it belongs, right on the lefts shoulders because this bag of crap started long before Trump took office.

I think it is people as a whole. I don't think it is left or right, but the person. One chooses to hate, or not to hate. No political ideology forces anyone one way or another.
Without question the election of Donald Trump has brought a coarseness to American life.

Without question the election of Donald Trump has brought a coarseness to American life.

It was there long before Trump....

Indeed but the coarseness of hate radio has now reached the White House and its poison contaminates political discussion like never before in living memory.

Indeed but the coarseness of hate radio has now reached the White House and its poison contaminates political discussion like never before in living memory.

Agreed. But it started, and was bad during Obama. Can't tell what is what now. Nothing but a bunch of squabbling, and we don't even know what is or isn't true.

Forum List

Back