Internet and the Rise of Incivility and Hate Crimes

It is no more correct to blame the left for anarchists among the crowd, than to blame conservatives for white supremacists. What the left seems to be doing is calling others haters, clearly attacking others with hate and violence.
Being a leftie, I need to inform you that the folks on the right are doing the same. If you take away the anarchists and the supremacists/nationalists, which is as it should be, there is no more hate and violence on the left than on the right. Lots of silliness, still, but I think it's really about equal.

The targets are different, but the sentiments are the same. In the meantime each side will now take to the streets in order to "prove" the other is worse.

IMO - the problem isn't the rhetoric, it's been with us for ages - it's the normalizing of it in society. Legitimizing it, justifying it, excusing it. I don't agree with laws against it - it needs to be in the open in order to be confronted, but these people are feeling emboldened by the lack of condemnation around them and in some cases, silence or tacit approval by polticial figures rather than marginalizing.
You're a liberal so you are not looking at it objectively. One ideology is about change, making "progress" reshaping society to their liking. The other side wants to mind their own business, work, raise families and have as little government involvement as possible.

When the right loses we are unhappy but we don't take to the streets and show our asses. We don't pretend we have the right to have everything our way and if it isn't it's some kind of theft. Lefties these days are off the charts arrogant. They are power mad and beyond reason.

The fact that a few nutbags on the right are holed up in bunkers doesn't make the millions of leftists throwing temper tantrums somehow look better. It's going to get worse, not better. Europe has been where we are headed, our riots pale in comparison. I fully expect this is the year that water canons will be used in force. And of course it will be Trump's fault.

Water cannons? We have had to deal with worse from that from the fascists. Reference Kent State, 1970.

th

Water cannons? We have had to deal with worse from that from the fascists. Reference Kent State, 1970.

th

upload_2017-3-7_0-8-34.jpeg

The fascism may be more of the progressive sort of agitation due released information...

New light shed on Kent State killings

.....Yet the declassified FBI files show the FBI already had developed credible evidence suggesting that there was indeed a sniper and that one or more shots may have been fired at the guardsmen first.

Rumors of a sniper had circulated for at least a day before the fatal confrontation, the documents show. And a memorandum sent to FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover on May 19, 1970, referred to bullet holes found in a tree and a statue — evidence, the report stated, that “indicated that at least two shots had been fired at the National Guard.”

Another interviewee told agents that a guardsman had spoken of “a confirmed report of a sniper.”.....

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last edited:
[QU

Name 3 republican riots in the past 20 years then. Surely anything before that has no bearing on our culture in America today.

Like violence is the only criteria. We won't talk about all the gerrymandering that is now clearly in the hands of the repubs. Righties are just as bad...marginalising...degrading....

[QU

Name 3 republican riots in the past 20 years then. Surely anything before that has no bearing on our culture in America today.

Like violence is the only criteria. We won't talk about all the gerrymandering that is now clearly in the hands of the repubs. Righties are just as bad...marginalising...degrading....
Sure, we are like you, except for the violence. That is all you guys.

It is no more correct to blame the left for anarchists among the crowd, than to blame conservatives for white supremacists. What the left seems to be doing is calling others haters, clearly attacking others with hate and violence.
Being a leftie, I need to inform you that the folks on the right are doing the same. If you take away the anarchists and the supremacists/nationalists, which is as it should be, there is no more hate and violence on the left than on the right. Lots of silliness, still, but I think it's really about equal.

The targets are different, but the sentiments are the same. In the meantime each side will now take to the streets in order to "prove" the other is worse.

IMO - the problem isn't the rhetoric, it's been with us for ages - it's the normalizing of it in society. Legitimizing it, justifying it, excusing it. I don't agree with laws against it - it needs to be in the open in order to be confronted, but these people are feeling emboldened by the lack of condemnation around them and in some cases, silence or tacit approval by polticial figures rather than marginalizing.
You're a liberal so you are not looking at it objectively. One ideology is about change, making "progress" reshaping society to their liking. The other side wants to mind their own business, work, raise families and have as little government involvement as possible.

When the right loses we are unhappy but we don't take to the streets and show our asses. We don't pretend we have the right to have everything our way and if it isn't it's some kind of theft. Lefties these days are off the charts arrogant. They are power mad and beyond reason.

The fact that a few nutbags on the right are holed up in bunkers doesn't make the millions of leftists throwing temper tantrums somehow look better. It's going to get worse, not better. Europe has been where we are headed, our riots pale in comparison. I fully expect this is the year that water canons will be used in force. And of course it will be Trump's fault.

th
Kent State was blamed on inexperienced National Guardsmen with real ammo.

It was a mistake to give them real ammo.

Fixed bayonets should and would have been sufficient.

Helmets and flack jackets make great riot gear even without the plexiglass shields that cops use.

th
That's quite a reach around. 47 years ago? 4 dead because students were too stupid to not know better than to throw bottles and rocks at armed men? I wouldn't do that at any age so I've had no sympathy for them. I see you learned nothing.

But I'd agree water canons are better. We will see it soon, I'm sure.

th

View attachment 115774

The fascism may be more of the progressive sort of agitation due released information...

New light shed on Kent State killings

.....Yet the declassified FBI files show the FBI already had developed credible evidence suggesting that there was indeed a sniper and that one or more shots may have been fired at the guardsmen first.

Rumors of a sniper had circulated for at least a day before the fatal confrontation, the documents show. And a memorandum sent to FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover on May 19, 1970, referred to bullet holes found in a tree and a statue — evidence, the report stated, that “indicated that at least two shots had been fired at the National Guard.”

Another interviewee told agents that a guardsman had spoken of “a confirmed report of a sniper.”.....

*****SMILE*****

:)

Right. The sniper was on the grassy knoll......:rolleyes:

th
That's quite a reach around. 47 years ago? 4 dead because students were too stupid to not know better than to throw bottles and rocks at armed men? I wouldn't do that at any age so I've had no sympathy for them. I see you learned nothing.

...and just like Lexington and Concord in 1775, the colonists were too stupid to know not to fire on the most powerful military force in the world, the end result was the fall of tyranny, and the end of a war that never should have happened.

You need to think in terms of a larger paradyme than your own very limited experience, Ice.

th

...and just like Lexington and Concord in 1775, the colonists were too stupid to know not to fire on the most powerful military force in the world, the end result was the fall of tyranny, and the end of a war that never should have happened.

You need to think in terms of a larger paradyme than your own very limited experience, Ice.
Kent State dangerously stupid and spoiled college students compared to the revolutionary colonists?

LOL, you fried your brains on LSD.

th

Kent State dangerously stupid and spoiled college students compared to the revolutionary colonists?

LOL, you fried your brains on LSD.

Poor Ice. The last American supporting the war in Vietnam. It has to be lonely at the Hardhat reunions.

[
Sure, we are like you, except for the violence. That is all you guys.

I know what you mean. Tim McVeigh was a true blue lefties. And as for those abortion clinics being bombed and doctors murdered, frickin commies, man...
Neither side has more crazy people than The other. The point is, while both sides have violent crazy people, only democrats have throngs of violent sane people.

Political correctness was the pendulum of culture swinging to far to the left. But now, we're seeing the opposite. The anti-political correctness crowd, culminating in Trump's electoral victory is encouraging a far more open and socially accepted form of hate. Where it used to be socially condemned, it's now applauded, as free speech and part of the mainstream, set against the backdrop of rabid anti-immigrant and anti-other fears.

How The Internet Fueled The Rise In Hate Crimes In California | Fast Company | The Future Of Business

Messages about the “otherness” of immigrants have gained an expansive audience. “Bigots have become especially nuanced and skillful at hanging onto the coattails of important public policy debates that are going on in the mainstream,” Levin says. “There’s an online cottage industry that attaches bigotry to real policy issues from national security to free speech on campus to the economy.”

“Some groups continue to promote overt racism and bigotry,” Levin continues, “but some are changing their branding, or toning down the swastikas. And their arguments are no longer that Latinos and immigrants are genetically inferior. It’s that they’re culturally or religiously inapposite to American ideals. Or sometimes the message is shrouded in the idea that we’re under attack from terrorists.”

Scrubbed of the eugenics ideology or race war rhetoric that may have helped spawn them, and freed from the stigma that comes from being the clear intellectual property of Nazi skinheads ...

I read up to the Godwin to see if they would do ANYTHING to support their vile accusations.

And, to my complete lack of surprise, they did not.

FUCK THEIR RACE BAITING BULLSHIT.

Forum List

Back