Is a business allowed to violate civil rights?

If you are not serving the community as it deserves to be served, expect repercussions.

That sounds a bit Stalinish right there. Who defines what serves the community? What kind of repercussions? Why must one "serve" the community?

I'm all for not eating at places that are racist, but I don't like the sound of what you're saying.

If you don't think all kinds of laws governing what a business is permitted to do don't exist, you are rather naive.

The legislators define what serves the community and they are elected by the community to do just that. Repercussions for refusing to serve protected minorities include losing your license to do business.

Some battles must be fought if you want to survive.

Sure, but trying to argue or even fight every single racist isn't going to work. No matter how much you try to impart knowledge or logic onto some people, they are just stuck in their ways. I see it daily here on USMB with some people to say the least.
There is no law against being a racist. Only laws restricting rascist acts.

If you are not serving the community as it deserves to be served, expect repercussions.

That sounds a bit Stalinish right there. Who defines what serves the community? What kind of repercussions? Why must one "serve" the community?

I'm all for not eating at places that are racist, but I don't like the sound of what you're saying.

If you don't think all kinds of laws governing what a business is permitted to do don't exist, you are rather naive.

The legislators define what serves the community and they are elected by the community to do just that. Repercussions for refusing to serve protected minorities include losing your license to do business.

Where do you folks live that you even see such behavior???

Queens.

Queens.

LOL. You do know that whites are a minority here. LOL!!! Sorry to pop your bubble.

I know there are laws that govern what a business can and cannot do. I never said there wasn't.

What if I don't agree with the legislators? You say the legislators define what serves the community. What happens if the legislators are racist? Say they separate whites and non-whites into different schools again based on a community vote. Someone like you who comes in to make it otherwise is going against exactly what you just said shouldn't happen.

My question is why do protected minorities want to do business with racists in the first place in 2010? That makes absolutely no sense on any level.

Queens.

You really need to work on that discrimination thingy!

Serving the public means serving the public. A business owner doesn't define who the public is, we the people do. The constitution wasn't written to give business owners rights, it was written to give individuals rights.

Not to mention that a business must be licensed to serve the public. That license is granted by a city, county and/or state...and the state cannot discriminate, therefore how could it grant a license to someone to serve the public and then allow them to not serve the public?

A business can get around this by requiring membership or choosing not to be licensed. In both those cases they are then free to pick and choose their customers as they are no longer serving the public.

Some battles must be fought if you want to survive.

Sure, but trying to argue or even fight every single racist isn't going to work. No matter how much you try to impart knowledge or logic onto some people, they are just stuck in their ways. I see it daily here on USMB with some people to say the least.
Sigh. This thread isn't about racism. It is about whose rights are to be protected: the rights of a business or an individual.

Serving the public means serving the public. A business owner doesn't define who the public is, we the people do. The constitution wasn't written to give business owners rights, it was written to give individuals rights.

Not to mention that a business must be licensed to serve the public. That license is granted by a city, county and/or state...and the state cannot discriminate, therefore how could it grant a license to someone to serve the public and then allow them to not serve the public?

A business can get around this by requiring membership or choosing not to be licensed. In both those cases they are then free to pick and choose their customers as they are no longer serving the public.

Quite the Catch-22 there for business owners.

I know there are laws that govern what a business can and cannot do. I never said there wasn't.

What if I don't agree with the legislators? You say the legislators define what serves the community. What happens if the legislators are racist? Say they separate whites and non-whites into different schools again based on a community vote. Someone like you who comes in to make it otherwise is going against exactly what you just said shouldn't happen.

My question is why do protected minorities want to do business with racists in the first place in 2010? That makes absolutely no sense on any level.
Don't forget, we have a Constitution in this country.

So you changed your question to refer specifically to 2010. I still maintain that there conceivably could be a situation, perhaps in a rural area where the only store is run by racists who refuse to sell to some or another. If you are of that race and you need to buy groceries, you'd have no choice but to do what you could legally, perhaps illegally, to oblige that business to either stop discriminating against people who look like you or to force them out of business in hopes the store will be sold to people who will don't discriminate. Boycott alone is not always effective.

Sigh. This thread isn't about racism. It is about whose rights are to be protected: the rights of a business or an individual.

That's what it's turned into. I look at it this way:

A business whether it be public or private owns or rents that piece of land. Therefore, as long as they not are infringing on someone else's rights, they should be able to do what they want on said land. Whether it may be smoking indoors, gambling, prostitution, having drugs, etc. Why? Because the business is their private property.

Yes, the businesses must be licensed by the state. However, the same can be said of individual homes to a degree. So now do people have any real rights if you look at it that way?

A business whether it be public or private owns or rents that piece of land. Therefore, as long as they not are infringing on someone else's rights, they should be able to do what they want on said land. Whether it may be smoking indoors, gambling, prostitution, having drugs, etc. Why? Because the business is their private property.

Yes, the businesses must be licensed by the state. However, the same can be said of individual homes to a degree. So now do people have any real rights if you look at it that way?
Smoking, prostitution, doing drugs, gambling...these are all recreational activities they are NOT civil rights.

Laws govern what people do in thier own homes also. Owning private property does not mean you own a principality.

Don't forget, we have a Constitution in this country.

So you changed your question to refer specifically to 2010. I still maintain that there conceivably could be a situation, perhaps in a rural area where the only store is run by racists who refuse to sell to some or another. If you are of that race and you need to buy groceries, you'd have no choice but to do what you could legally, perhaps illegally, to oblige that business to either stop discriminating against people who look like you or to force them out of business in hopes the store will be sold to people who will don't discriminate. Boycott alone is not always effective.

Yes, I'm referring to specifically to 2010. 2010 and 1964 are completely different worlds. This is not a historical debate as far as I thought, but one about the here and now.

The only store is run by racists? How small of a town are we talking? And is the entire town racist then? As I just told Mani not too long ago, that was the way things were in a lot of areas in 1964. However, this is 2010.

The business must act within the Law, or risk penalty and prosecution. Consider "Structured Liberty" as opposed to "Anarchy".

Forum List

Back