Is Anyone Part of the Million Veteran Program (MVP)?

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I don't recall exactly how the VA convinced me to participate in the MVP, but I got an email, followed the link, logged on and took the first couple surveys.

Apparently, by agreeing to join, I am now "required" to send in a blood sample so they could extract my DNA for their records.

I received a kit in the mail yesterday which allows me to take my own blood and then mail it back in.

I never knew such a kit existed. Interesting!

I joined the military before they started collecting servicemembers' DNA. But when I separated after 20 years, part of the discharge process was providing my DNA on a cotton swab to the medical department.

I fudged the paperwork to avoid doing so. I am really uncomfortable with anyone having my DNA. I don't know why, I just am.

Now the VA wants my DNA.

I don't mind the endless surveys asking me all kinds of personal questions, but I am now not allowed to proceed forward until I provide my DNA.

I would like to be of service to my fellow vets and any future vets as this is supposed to be a metadata study to improve our mental and physical health care.

Has anyone else joined the MVP? What are your impressions, concerns, happy thoughts?

Why do they need my blood instead of a cotton swab?

23 and me takes a cotton swab and tells you where your ancestors a thousand years ago lived, and reveals you have a daughter you never knew about...

Why does the MVP want my blood?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back