Is God A "He"...?

Santa exists in its cultural expression that he was a real person that tradition follows.
I'm Santa to my children.

Santa doesn't exist but evidence of absence of God is not absence of evidence.

The Presumptuousness of Atheism | Christian Research Institute

I suspect you mean that the other way 'round... :lol:

Santa doesn't exist? How do you know?

We're off the topic again.

Santa doesn't exist because we have not found him at the north pole, and we have been there. Also because it is logically impossible for him to fit down a chimney

That depends on how big he is, doesn't it? Does anyone know his actual dimensions?

Haven't found him at the North Pole? Maybe he was out that day. Did we look underwater? :dunno:

As they say in British (or is it Scots) courts ... not proven. :eusa_whistle:

Can you "disprove" the existence of Santa Claus? And even if you could, what would be the point?
No, I can prove his existence in history.
The tradition was started by St. Nicholas, who is a real historical figure and the presents have their own story.
Strange that you don't know it.
Saint Nicholas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

probably, because it is basically the Eastern Church Saint, however, the western Church honors him as well.

Last edited:
Santa exists in its cultural expression that he was a real person that tradition follows.
I'm Santa to my children.

Santa doesn't exist but evidence of absence of God is not absence of evidence.

The Presumptuousness of Atheism | Christian Research Institute

Santa doesn't exist because we have not found him at the north pole, and we have been there. Also because it is logically impossible for him to fit down a chimney

The "spirit" of Santa exists, that's why you see pictures of Santa everywhere in December, and children everywhere love him. And, he doesn't need a chimney, he can fit through the tiniest of holes...... We didn't have a chimney in the house where I grew up, but Santa never failed to leave us at least one gift! :eusa_whistle:

Can you "disprove" the existence of Santa Claus? And even if you could, what would be the point?
The tradition was started by St. Nicolas, who is a real historical figure and the presents have their own story.

probably, because it is basically the Eastern Church Saint, however, the western Church honors him as well.

You're missing the point.
I know all about Sinterklass and all that background. This is all an allegory addressing ChuckT's vow to "disprove" myths. I'm pointing out they can't be "disproven".

But speaking of the Eastern Church, I'm reminded again who else was a big wheel in it:

-- Sophia.

Big monument in Constantinople, circa 6th c CE. The Roman church, embarrassed by the unignorable and starkly feminine Hagia Sophia, invented a fake "St. Sophia" and redefining the traditional meaning of female wisdom to "Christ, the Word of God", despite what it really means in Greek.

But a propos of the topic here, one of Sophia's aspects in mythology is that she was in some mythology the "mother of God".

Just sayin'...

Last edited:

The "spirit" of Santa exists, that's why you see pictures of Santa everywhere in December, and children everywhere love him. And, he doesn't need a chimney, he can fit through the tiniest of holes...... We didn't have a chimney in the house where I grew up, but Santa never failed to leave us at least one gift! :eusa_whistle:

That's true. I think he's part mouse.

The tradition was started by St. Nicolas, who is a real historical figure and the presents have their own story.

I know all about Sinterklass and all that background. This is all an allegory addressing ChuckT's vow to "disprove" myths. I'm pointing out they can't be "disproven".

But speaking of the Eastern Church, I'm reminded again who else was a big wheel in it:

-- Sophia.

Big monument in Constantinople, circa 6th c CE. The Roman church, embarrassed by the unignorable and starkly feminine Hagia Sophia, invented a fake "St. Sophia" and redefining the traditional meaning of female wisdom to "Christ, the Word of God", despite what it really means in Greek.

But a propos of the topic here, one of Sophia's aspects in mythology is that she was in some mythology the "mother of God".

Just sayin'...

Except Ἁγία Σοφία (Sancta Sophia or Sancta Sapientia) or Holy Wisdom has absolutely nothing to do with Sophia you are talking about.
It is a Shrine of the Holy Wisdom of God.
sophia in Greek means wisdom.
The Church was dedicated to the Wisdom of God, the Logos, the second person of the Holy Trinity
Nothing else - no myths involved :)

And you might want to refurbish you propagandist knowledge - St. Sophia has absolutely nothing to do with Roman Church, but everything with Eastern:

http://www.antiochian.org/saint_sophia

St. Sophia and her three daughters( Hope, Faith and Love) are extremely widely venerated in all the nations which come from Byzantine or other Eastern Churches ( not so much by actual Roman one ))) - by the Julian calendar the feast is September 30, by the Gregorian - September 17.
My MIL is named by the Saint as she was born on the feast day

Last edited:
John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

What's in a pronoun? The divine gender controversy

I think the male gender pronoun is connected to the patriarchal structure of the human society and as such it gives the males more authority. It's not sexual matter but rather strength matter, so to say. but that is just my feeling on the issue :)

Bingo-roonie. We have a winner. :clap2:

I said the same thing pages back at the beginning of the thread.

From page 2 of the thread
Well he did make Adam in his image. And Eve was an after thought.
The Bible was by men.

Yes, the Bible was written by men in a culture dominated by men. It is obvious that the role of women in society back in those times was not to rule or be the dominating force in any way, so it is clear the use of the male pronoun with the role of God in people's lives would go together. They would not consider God to be a woman.

But, I agree with those who say the idea or spirit of God is without gender. Gender is an Earthly thing, not a spiritual thing.

Last edited:

-- Sophia.

Just sayin'...

Except Ἁγία Σοφία (Sancta Sophia or Sancta Sapientia) or Holy Wisdom has absolutely nothing to do with Sophia you are talking about.
The Church was dedicated to the Wisdom of God, the Logos, the second person of the Holy Trinity

And you might want to refurbish you propagandist knowledge - St. Sophia has absolutely nothing to do with Roman Church, but everything with Eastern:

Saint Sophia | Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese

St. Sophia and her three daughters( Hope, Faith and Love) are extremely widely venerated in all the nations which come from Byzantine or other Eastern Churches ( not so much by actual Roman one ))) - by the Julian calendar the feast is September 30, by the Gregorian - September 17.

It is now, after it was paved over, but that's not how it started. I'm afraid Sophia (the goddess, the spirit, whatever you like) is a lot older than Christianism.

Just as Christmas is Solstice paved over, All Saints Day is Samhain paved over, etc etc.

Last edited:
I think the male gender pronoun is connected to the patriarchal structure of the human society and as such it gives the males more authority. It's not sexual matter but rather strength matter, so to say. but that is just my feeling on the issue :)

Bingo-roonie. We have a winner. :clap2:

I said the same thing pages back at the beginning of the thread.

From page 2 of the thread
The Bible was by men.

Yes, the Bible was written by men in a culture dominated by men. It is obvious that the role of women in society back in those times was not to rule or be the dominating force in any way, so it is clear the use of the male pronoun with the role of God in people's lives would go together. They would not consider God to be a woman.

But, I agree with those who say the idea or spirit of God is without gender. Gender is an Earthly thing, not a spiritual thing.

Yes, we had multiple winners who at least get that the Bible is written specifically by men, and the significance thereof.

I'm not sure I accept that in the big picture the role of women was not dominant. Some would say monotheism represents a revolution in that relationship; witness the recent reference to Sophia et al.

Last edited:

-- Sophia.

Just sayin'...

It is now, after it was paved over, but that's not how it started.

Just as Christmas is Solstice paved over, All Saints Day is Samhain paved over, etc etc.

It is EXACTLY how it started.
It was the THIRD temple built by Justinian, first two did not even have anything by name to the Wisdom.
St Sophia and her daughters were long dead and even already being Saints, when Justinian decided to build the Shrine of Logos.

And Christmas has nothing to do with the solstice ( spare me the lecture, I know all the modern day theories, I was raised in the officially atheist country ;)

It was the THIRD temple built by Justinian, first two did not even have anything by name to the Wisdom.
St Sophia and her daughters were long dead and even already being Saints, when Justinian decided to build the Shrine of Logos.

And Christmas has nothing to do with the solstice ( spare me the lecture, I know all the modern day theories, I was raised in the officially atheist country ;)

Of course it does. Don't be ignorant. This isn't some new theory. It's been obvious forever.

Of course it does. Don't be ignorant. This isn't some new theory. It's been obvious forever.

No, it does not. It was NOT named anything connected to wisdom when it was built as the first church and even the second. Emperor Justinian had a lot of expansionism everywhere and his aspiration were huge, therefore the third Church built in the VI century ( a LOOOONG time after Byzantine empire became Christian) and it was decidedly the patriarchal cathedral for the Byzantine Patriarch - so your stories about some obscure myth from who knows when to be the reason of the naming the Patriarchal Cathedral by the most powerful Empire of the times, which was in constant rival struggle with Rome for the official primacy of the Seat of Peter is simply laughable.

And proves you simply do not know anything about the history of that times.

The Byzantine State under Justinian I (Justinian the Great) | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolitan Museum of Art

In the religious sphere, Justinian took a leading role in shaping church policy. As an adamant defender of Christian Orthodoxy, he fought to extinguish the last vestiges of Greco-Roman paganism, to root out Manichaeans and Samaritans, and to oppose competing Christian sects, including the Arians and the Monophysites. Justinian also came into direct conflict with the papacy in 543, further straining relations between the western and eastern territories of his empire.

No, it does not. It was NOT named anything connected to wisdom when it was built as the first church and even the second. Emperor Justinian had a lot of expansionism everywhere and his aspiration were huge, therefore the third Church built in the VI century ( a LOOOONG time after Byzantine empire became Christian) and it was decidedly the patriarchal cathedral for the Byzantine Patriarch - so your stories about some obscure myth from who knows when to be the reason of the naming the Patriarchal Cathedral by the most powerful Empire of the times, which was in constant rival struggle with Rome for the official primacy of the Seat of Peter is simply laughable.

I was referring to the Solstice-cum-Christmas canard -- the last line in the post. I guess you concede that.

But as to the other - sorry but the cult of Sophia long predates Christianism:
>> Plato, following his teacher, Socrates (and, it is likely, the older tradition of Pythagoras), understands philosophy as philo-sophia, or, literally, a friend of Wisdom. This understanding of philosophia permeates Plato's dialogues, especially the Republic. In that work, the leaders of the proposed utopia are to be philosopher kings: rulers who are friends of sophia or Wisdom. (Wiki)

Again, we tread on shaky ground when we anthropomorphise spirits but here's an example of one given feminine characteristics, the scale of which were inconvenient to the male-oriented Church, hence the invention of "St. Sophia" much like the invention of "St. Valentine" to pave over existing fertility rites. What we really mean by Sophia is that font of wisdom in the human heart -- when it's allowed out to play.

More:
>> Who is Sophia? Literally she is Wisdom, because the Greek word Sophia means "wisdom" in English. More than that, Sophia is the Wisdom of Deity. She has been revered as the Wise Bride of Solomon by Jews, as the Queen of Wisdom and War (Athena) by Greeks, and as the Holy Spirit of Wisdom by Christians. She is known as Chokmah (pronounced HOK-mah with the H being said like -ch in the name Bach) in Hebrew, and Sapientia in Latin. << (from here)

(Sapentia ... homo sapiens)

We're off topic, except insofar as a religious massive sex change PR operation, part of which includes paving over the cult of Sophia and making her into a subordinate.

I was referring to the Solstice-cum-Christmas canard -- the last line in the post. I guess you concede that.

>> Plato, following his teacher, Socrates (and, it is likely, the older tradition of Pythagoras), understands philosophy as philo-sophia, or, literally, a friend of Wisdom. This understanding of philosophia permeates Plato's dialogues, especially the Republic. In that work, the leaders of the proposed utopia are to be philosopher kings: rulers who are friends of sophia or Wisdom. (Wiki)

Again, we tread on shaky ground when we anthropomorphise spirits but here's an example of one given feminine characteristics, the scale of which were inconvenient to the male-oriented Church, hence the invention of "St. Sophia" much like the invention of "St. Valentine" to pave over existing fertility rites. What we really mean by Sophia is that font of wisdom in the human heart -- when it's allowed out to play.

More:
>> Who is Sophia? Literally she is Wisdom, because the Greek word Sophia means "wisdom" in English. More than that, Sophia is the Wisdom of Deity. She has been revered as the Wise Bride of Solomon by Jews, as the Queen of Wisdom and War (Athena) by Greeks, and as the Holy Spirit of Wisdom by Christians. She is known as Chokmah (pronounced HOK-mah with the H being said like -ch in the name Bach) in Hebrew, and Sapientia in Latin. << (from here)

We're off topic, except insofar as a religious massive sex change PR operation, part of which includes paving over the cult of Sophia and making her into a subordinate.

who cares about any cults before Christianity?

The claim that Patriarchal Cathedral raised by strictly Christian Emperor in the very Christian Byzantine empire at the time when they were fighting with Rome for the primacy was after some obscure cult, not even known at their times - read thee serious historians of the times, just because you believed some link posted by Mad Cabbie ( which contains simply LAUGHABLE claims and idiocy considering Russian Orthodox and Russian Catholic churches) just shows that you don't know anything about the real history of the times but easily took a bait of some sensational blog writer :)

It happens. Quite often.

has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

BTW, the other link provided by MC ( I am sure NOBODY read to the VERY END actually rebuffs all the liberal blubber about putting in one pile early Christianity and some pagan rituals, many of which did not even surface until the 4-5 centuries, so they clearly could not influence anything ).

There were no cult of some pagan Sophia goddess in the 4-5-6 century Byzantine empire. What was much more important then were Arians, Monophysites and some other CHRISTIAN sects.

And trust me, there is no pagan roots of Sophia veneration neither in Russian nor in ANY other Orthodox churches, or Eastern catholic churches as well.

More:

who cares about any cults before Christianity?

Oh I guess anyone who's curious and doesn't see him- or herself as a self-satisfied asshole who knows everything.
Those who ignore their history are doomed to repeat it. Those who ignore their mythology are doomed to wallow in their chosen ignorance.

What do you suppose was going on in the world for 50,000 years before Christianism? Nothing?

The claim that Patriarchal Cathedral raised by strictly Christian Emperor in the very Christian Byzantine empire at the time when they were fighting with Rome for the primacy was after some obscure cult, not even known at their times - read thee serious historians of the times, just because you believed some link posted by Mad Cabbie ( which contains simply LAUGHABLE claims and idiocy considering Russian Orthodox and Russian Catholic churches) just shows that you don't know anything about the real history of the times but easily took a bait of some sensational blog writer :)

It happens. Quite often.

has absolutely nothing to do with reality.

In your opinion. Too bad, it's on the table, and has been for millennia. :eusa_boohoo:

BTW, the other link provided by MC ( I am sure NOBODY read to the VERY END actually rebuffs all the liberal blubber about putting in one pile early Christianity and some pagan rituals, many of which did not even surface until the 4-5 centuries, so they clearly could not influence anything ).

There were no cult of some pagan Sophia goddess in the 4-5-6 century Byzantine empire. What was much more important then were Arians, Monophysites and some other CHRISTIAN sects.

And trust me, there is no pagan roots of Sophia veneration neither in Russian nor in ANY other Orthodox churches, or Eastern catholic churches as well.

Even though it's a tangent you continue to deflect... we speak of a myth going back to ancient Greece. I'm afraid that still predates Russian and other Christianist churches. All of them.

We're still off topic.

Last edited:
In your opinion. Too bad, it's on the table, and has been for millennia. :eusa_boohoo:

No, it is not. And has not been. for millenia :lol:

maybe for decades after somebody decided to write a book on his own interpretation of the his own view of some cults.

which doesn't mean it is true. just somebody's theory and somebody not especially well educated :D

Must be.....or invisible.....he quit coming once I grew up.....then I took his place:lol::lol:

No, it is not. And has not been. for millenia :lol:

maybe for decades after somebody decided to write a book on his own interpretation of the his own view of some cults.

which doesn't mean it is true. just somebody's theory and somebody not especially well educated :D

Fine. You go tell the Greeks that their Sophists never existed. And that there's no such thing as philosophy. As noted, the nice thing about ignorance is you can choose your own field to be ignorant in.

Must be.....or invisible.....he quit coming once I grew up.....then I took his place:lol::lol:

Hmm...

You lost a lotta weight :eek:

That must help with the small spaces :thup:

Forum List

Back