Is homeschooling a good solution?

I could not teach in today's world. Not for the pittance they are paid for putting up with today's entitled youth. I would never forego my earning potential to do that. Why anyone does is bizarre. Its so much easier to make double in the private sector for half the effort.

"pittance?" They hardly do any work. They have a 6 hour work day and they only work about 180 days out of the year. They get paid far more than they are worth, if you ask me.

Utterly ignorant. ^^^
That's not even remotely "utter ignorance" - it is 100% fact. We crunched the numbers for my children's school district and they work part time. Literally part time. Only 5 hours per day (which is absolutely laughable) and then they have 3 days at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, a week at Easter, plus a slew of days for stuff that nobody else in America gets time off for (like Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Jr. day, etc.), and of course, three months in summer. And yet the average salary in the district was a staggering $78,000 per year. And mind you - that may not sound much in some areas like New York City or California. But in this area, that is a TON of money. Who in the hell makes $78,000 for part time work?!? I know people who put in 60 hours per week and don't even come close to that kind of money.

Not to mention all the Cadillac benefits they get. Plus they have additional days off like teacher workshop days and all the other various administrative holidays.

Liberals are always talking about how bad monopolies are, but the government education system is the biggest monopoly on the planet. To defend it you have to talk out of both sides of your mouth.
Not everything is meant to be done via the free market. That's why we enter into pacts and form governments.

No, that's actually not why we form governments. The state is a means for a predatory class to plunder a serf class and harvest their production. Government has always been based on plunder and exploitation.

As far as education: If you are in a population dense area you can have a proper market for private schools. As long as there's a mechanism to make sure all children get a chance at a good private school (such as a voucher system and laws on the book overseeing admissions), Education that isn't necessarily run by the government can work. But in a rural sparsely populated area education is best left to local government. There just isn't a market large enough to engage in true competition.

Funny how people in rural areas manage to get groceries, but they can't get adequate schooling?

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.

Home schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than your own,

Most people do not have the capability to home school because their own education is lacking or it is not feasible because of work schedules, etc.

If you can do it, great! If not, don't try to use it as a dodge for mandatory attendance laws or you will just be raising another idiot dependent on social services.
And yet somehow homeschooled kids kick ass on virtually every measure. For the record I homeschooled my older son. All the homeschooled kids I ever met, even where their parents were hardly intellects, were polite and could interact well with adults.
Great post Rabbi. All statistics show that homeschooled children excel far beyond public schooled children in every category (academics, social, religious, political, etc.)

“A recent study shows that homeschooled kids score almost twice as high on exams as public school students. Other studies show that homeschooled kids score 72 points higher than the national average on SAT exams.

Homeschoolers are more likely to attend college, are more likely to graduate, and have higher college GPAs (Grade Point Averages) than other students.
The old wives’ tale spread by the teachers’ unions (who are afraid of competition) is that homeschoolers are not “socialized.” Well, the facts are in. Homeschoolers are almost twice as involved in their local community or church as public school students, and almost three times as involved in politics.

Homeschooled children also have far fewer behavioral problems.”

Excerpt From: Wayne Allyn Root. “The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide.” Regnery Publishing, 2013-03-26. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide by Wayne Allyn Root on iBooks
Somehow, those testing advantages seem to disappear when in college. I don't know if the testing at home is more lax or they just tend to fall apart outside of the secure, comforting environment of the home.

Of course, you posted the evidence to back up this claim?

Just a rhetorical question.

A child raised in a convent is a freak. A child who doesn't go to school with other kids, same thing.

:fu: troll
Guess you are one of them then? .

One of what, idiot troll?
A homeschooled freak of course.

Neither, you brainless troll. :fu:
What's normal, school with other kids or school at home? One is a freak.

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.

Home schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than your own,

Most people do not have the capability to home school because their own education is lacking or it is not feasible because of work schedules, etc.

If you can do it, great! If not, don't try to use it as a dodge for mandatory attendance laws or you will just be raising another idiot dependent on social services.
And yet somehow homeschooled kids kick ass on virtually every measure. For the record I homeschooled my older son. All the homeschooled kids I ever met, even where their parents were hardly intellects, were polite and could interact well with adults.
How were they with kids? Oddballs I bet.
That's pretty much a homeschool myth.

It's no more BS than those claiming that in general home schooled kids to better than public educated children do. BOTH rely on slanted studies and anecdotal evidence to support the writer's preformed opinion
All I know is, the homeschooled students I have known were perhaps better mannered than the average kid but perfectly able to interact with peers. They were much better educated than their peers in public school. One-on-one instruction usually aces instruction in a large group. Most of these kids have siblings, neighborhood friends, and many are active in sports. At least none of the ones I've known were strange or socially lacking. I know that is anecdotal, but I am guessing your aversion to homeschooling is also based on one or two kids you have encountered somewhere along the way.

It's no more BS than those claiming that in general home schooled kids to better than public educated children do. BOTH rely on slanted studies and anecdotal evidence to support the writer's preformed opinion
All I know is, the homeschooled students I have known were perhaps better mannered than the average kid but perfectly able to interact with peers. They were much better educated than their peers in public school. One-on-one instruction usually aces instruction in a large group. Most of these kids have siblings, neighborhood friends, and many are active in sports. At least none of the ones I've known were strange or socially lacking. I know that is anecdotal, but I am guessing your aversion to homeschooling is also based on one or two kids you have encountered somewhere along the way.

I think you may have quoted the wrong person. I am not adverse to homeschooling. I think that's a parent's , and child's , choice and is case dependent on whether it is the right choice or not

Liberals are always talking about how bad monopolies are, but the government education system is the biggest monopoly on the planet. To defend it you have to talk out of both sides of your mouth.
Not everything is meant to be done via the free market. That's why we enter into pacts and form governments.

No, that's actually not why we form governments. The state is a means for a predatory class to plunder a serf class and harvest their production. Government has always been based on plunder and exploitation.

As far as education: If you are in a population dense area you can have a proper market for private schools. As long as there's a mechanism to make sure all children get a chance at a good private school (such as a voucher system and laws on the book overseeing admissions), Education that isn't necessarily run by the government can work. But in a rural sparsely populated area education is best left to local government. There just isn't a market large enough to engage in true competition.

Funny how people in rural areas manage to get groceries, but they can't get adequate schooling?
Actually, there's a lot of studies looking at the distance people have to travel to get to grocery stores in rural or very poor urban areas. It's shockingly bad. I can vouch for this as whenever I go visit family in Southern Illinois and/or Southern Indiana the distance to a grocery store is pretty rough.

Having lived in 8 States literally from coast to coast, I can tell you that all government schools are liberal
Interesting... I wonder why? If conservative ideology spoke more truth or presented more rationale effective ideas, wouldnt you think that would be reflected in our education system?

No, because the government runs the education system. Government has a vested interest in denying the truth.
Refer to my last post...

Why? It fails to provide any enlightenment.
It's a question dumbshit. Perhaps you will find some enlightenment when trying to answer.

Let's leave the board members' children out of the discussion, please. Likewise, don't use your child as an example if you don't want people discussing them.

You have school choice in where your children attend school by where you live. They have no impact whatsoever.

That's like saying if the government passed a law forcing you to shop at Walmart, you still have the choice of moving to where there's a Walmart you like.

Try again. There was no real thought put into that post.

Nope. That analogy is exact. With government schooling, everywhere you go, the same company is providing the service.

The batshit crazy crew have moved in...

So the RW tries there best to destroy and hamper public education. While causing a lot of damage they still didn't succeed. Now they want to homeschool...

Why does anyone listen to these crackpots when they talk about education...

In Germany/Finland/Israel/Ireland... they have well paid union member teachers who offer some of the best results in the world. They actually discuss with unions about curriculum and what is best way to deliver education. Teachers are respected and are at the top end of there class...

The problem with the RW is they have no respect for education and it shows it there states... They actually mock education...

RWs have no respect for government education.

BTW, you didn't even bother try to dispute my claim. Liberals are always talking about how bad monopolies are, but the government education system is the biggest monopoly on the planet. To defend it you have to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Face it, you're a douche bag who doesn't give a damn about education. You're only concern is continuing the government monopoly so you can continue pumping our kids full of leftist propaganda.

You're the reason I have worries about homeschooling. You have close to mental problems with the paranoia you express on this board... I believe that you teaching a child would be very misguided.
You have very little grasp of actual science. Your views are extremist and I don't think child deserve to be exposed to that solely and a young.
You need help and be teaching a child... Life is tough enough without your views getting in their head.

NONUKE's reasons seem reasonable and I wish his daughter the best...

I was once against homeschooling, but for the past two years we have homeschooled our daughter because of anxiety issues she had from being bullied. It has been a brilliant experience for her and us. Her anxiety is gone and she is going back to school next September for her final two years of secondary school.

And she'll probably be well ahead of peers academically.

You're the reason I have worries about homeschooling. You have close to mental problems with the paranoia you express on this board... I believe that you teaching a child would be very misguided.
You have very little grasp of actual science. Your views are extremist and I don't think child deserve to be exposed to that solely and a young.

Because everyone with his views came from a home school environment, right? Tell me something, all of these kids who have gone into schools shooting up the place, how many of them were home schooled?

Also speaking anecdotally, the parents that do it right (Organized fieldtrips, sports, organized play dates/outings) raise children who are totally normal socially. They also raise children who are outstanding academically.

The parents who do it terribly usually give up and dump their kids back into public schools that by law have to take them in. That makes it hard to realistically track and compare test scores as failed homeschooled children end up in the public school testing pool. As I said though, if you can do it and do it well, you should. If you can't, don't. I work with my kids in the summer with a pretty rigid schedule on math, reading and writing. The personal cost to me is that it tanks my productivity in the summer to do it and the kids hate it. There's no way I could keep that up in the school year and work full time. Moral of the story: It wouldn't work for me full year.

Home schooled kids do much better in college than others, so what's the downside?
Isolated weird kids that can't fit in.

That's an unfair generalization.
Nothing unfair about it. Not normal kids.

How the fuck do you know? You know every home schooled student in the country, their families, what social activities they participate, etc.? Stop being an idiot.
I don't need to know them all to know they will be odd because of being raised oddly. Homeschoolers are mostly freaks themselves.

You seem like a freak to me. You believe anyone who doesn't have the exact same experiences as you is a freak. That's entirely unwarranted and idiotic.

Forum List

Back