Is homeschooling a good solution?

Liberals are always talking about how bad monopolies are, but the government education system is the biggest monopoly on the planet. To defend it you have to talk out of both sides of your mouth.
Not everything is meant to be done via the free market. That's why we enter into pacts and form governments.

As far as education: If you are in a population dense area you can have a proper market for private schools. As long as there's a mechanism to make sure all children get a chance at a good private school (such as a voucher system and laws on the book overseeing admissions), Education that isn't necessarily run by the government can work. But in a rural sparsely populated area education is best left to local government. There just isn't a market large enough to engage in true competition.

Knowing what I do now? There is no fucking way I would send my kids to the indoctrination centers that are trying to pass themselves off as public education. They don't teach kids HOW to think insomuch as they teach them what to think. They don't want generations of free thinkers...they want obedient workers that will never question authority which is so ironic since the teaching profession is thick with liberals that made it their business to question the status quo...that is, until they became the authority. I can't even begin to express my utter hatred for what passes as "liberals" today....they have been nothing but useful idiots to the same oligarchs that they proclaim to be against. They don't have the sense that God saw fit to give a goat......un-friggin'-real.

This is the problem with some Homeschoolers... What kind of education would Dale give a child...

Lets make it very clear... Dale's children would have rights, they have the right to be educated properly despite Dale trying to restrict this right...

The thing is Children have rights too...

So the question is: Does the rights of the child outweigh to wishes of the parents?
Children have rights? Really? Tell me more. Do they have the right to vote? I know I do. So please tell me that children have the right to vote (I missed that somewhere) and then document that right to vote for me so I can verify independently.

Rottweiler,

I have no problem with homeschooling when done to good standard and a rounded education is achieved(and this achieve with some great success). I had a problem with Dale's comments on why he would be homeschooling, it seemed more about indoctrination than concern for the child.
I presume you agree with me that the child's rights of getting an education is paramount in either environment.
I believe that freedom and rights are far more paramount than anything else - including an education. Because, here's the thing - even if a child receives a very poor education at home, they have the rest of their lives to receive a great education any way they want. Once they turn 18, they are adults and can choose for themselves - including all decisions related to their education.

Now, as far as your other comments, they really don't make much sense at all. You said that you're ok with homeschooling as long as it is (and I quote) "done to a good standard". Well, who gets to decide over the parent that the child's education was "done to a good standard"? You? Some government bureaucrat thousands of miles away in Washington? Who gets to derive power over the parent in their parenting decisions and where does that person derive that power from?

You followed that up with as long as "a rounded education is achieved". Again I have to ask, who is empowered to play God and decide for the parent whether or not the child's education was "a rounded education"? You? Some government bureaucrat thousands of miles away in Washington? Who gets to derive power over the parent in their parenting decisions and where does that person derive that power from?

Do you know all of the solutions to society's problems today? Freedom. You decide for your children what suits them best and I'll decide for my children what suits them best. And you know the best part about that? If I'm doing the awful job that you would think I'm doing, that just means your children will have an exponentially larger advantage in the job market. They will land jobs over my children and they will land better jobs than my children. So what exactly is the problem? As far as I can tell - you are gravely concerned that Dale will "indoctrinate" his children and teach them to reject liberalism. Well, that's his right as a parent. Why does that worry you so much?

That's not even remotely "utter ignorance" - it is 100% fact. We crunched the numbers for my children's school district and they work part time. Literally part time. Only 5 hours per day (which is absolutely laughable) and then they have 3 days at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, a week at Easter, plus a slew of days for stuff that nobody else in America gets time off for (like Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Jr. day, etc.), and of course, three months in summer. And yet the average salary in the district was a staggering $78,000 per year. And mind you - that may not sound much in some areas like New York City or California. But in this area, that is a TON of money. Who in the hell makes $78,000 for part time work?!? I know people who put in 60 hours per week and don't even come close to that kind of money.
Yep. Ignorant post.

I know teachers. It isn't a 40 hour work week. It is far far longer hours than that. Lesson preparation, grading, parent teacher conferences, etc. Most teachers work during the summer on maintaining certification, preparing for the coming year, etc.

Ultimately though, if you think the job is so easy, go do it. There are plenty of alternate certification programs and many states are hard up for teachers thanks to burn out from the strain of the job. Hawaii is actively recruiting in the continental US because they can't find people to teach. Wisconsin, Indiana, Louisiana, and other states will be more than happy to have you.

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.
Homeschooling is a lot like public schools. It can work with a good teacher. It can also fail spectacularly.

I've heard so many stories of kids from homes that thought they could homeschool, failed at it miserably, and sent their kids back to public or private schools only to find their kids years behind the other kids. I've also heard many stories of parents who homeschooled and produced outstanding students. I've personally met kids who fit the full spectrum.

So if you want to try it, go ahead. But understand the implications for your kids and only do it if you can do a good job of it. I don't do it because I'd be terrible at it.
This is so true. I've seen both sides of the home school equation. On the good side, I remember a 7th grade kid being in my discrete mathematics class in one of the top 50 universities in the nation...he was home schooled (unbelievably socially awkward) but undeniably ahead of pretty much anybody else in the class (even though it was an easier math course). On the bad side, the best man at a friend of mine's wedding pulled his kids out of public school to home school. This guy was a hyper liberal that didn't want his kids brainwashed by the system (a topic I've seen come up in this very thread). The issue was that he worked 60-80 hrs a week since he was the only source of income, had 4 children, and both he and his wife had little more than a basic high school education (they were young (below mid-20's when I knew them) and high school sweethearts. Even worse, this guy had no clue how to vet information sources...he constantly spouted out left wing conspiracy theories pulled from obscure websites that only agreed with his pre-held opinions. I only really met him through my friend and thus haven't stayed in contact, but I have little hope for his children.

Both these cases highlight what can go right or wrong with home schooling. This is why it is very situationally dependent, but, on the broad basis, highly inadvisable (for reasons I've already addressed).

I could not teach in today's world. Not for the pittance they are paid for putting up with today's entitled youth. I would never forego my earning potential to do that. Why anyone does is bizarre. Its so much easier to make double in the private sector for half the effort.

"pittance?" They hardly do any work. They have a 6 hour work day and they only work about 180 days out of the year. They get paid far more than they are worth, if you ask me.

Utterly ignorant. ^^^
That's not even remotely "utter ignorance" - it is 100% fact. We crunched the numbers for my children's school district and they work part time. Literally part time. Only 5 hours per day (which is absolutely laughable) and then they have 3 days at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, a week at Easter, plus a slew of days for stuff that nobody else in America gets time off for (like Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Jr. day, etc.), and of course, three months in summer. And yet the average salary in the district was a staggering $78,000 per year. And mind you - that may not sound much in some areas like New York City or California. But in this area, that is a TON of money. Who in the hell makes $78,000 for part time work?!? I know people who put in 60 hours per week and don't even come close to that kind of money.
I know of no teacher that only works during office hours. If they do, they're not a good teacher.

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.

Home schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than your own,

Most people do not have the capability to home school because their own education is lacking or it is not feasible because of work schedules, etc.

If you can do it, great! If not, don't try to use it as a dodge for mandatory attendance laws or you will just be raising another idiot dependent on social services.
And yet somehow homeschooled kids kick ass on virtually every measure. For the record I homeschooled my older son. All the homeschooled kids I ever met, even where their parents were hardly intellects, were polite and could interact well with adults.
Great post Rabbi. All statistics show that homeschooled children excel far beyond public schooled children in every category (academics, social, religious, political, etc.)

“A recent study shows that homeschooled kids score almost twice as high on exams as public school students. Other studies show that homeschooled kids score 72 points higher than the national average on SAT exams.

Homeschoolers are more likely to attend college, are more likely to graduate, and have higher college GPAs (Grade Point Averages) than other students.
The old wives’ tale spread by the teachers’ unions (who are afraid of competition) is that homeschoolers are not “socialized.” Well, the facts are in. Homeschoolers are almost twice as involved in their local community or church as public school students, and almost three times as involved in politics.

Homeschooled children also have far fewer behavioral problems.”

Excerpt From: Wayne Allyn Root. “The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide.” Regnery Publishing, 2013-03-26. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide by Wayne Allyn Root on iBooks
Somehow, those testing advantages seem to disappear when in college. I don't know if the testing at home is more lax or they just tend to fall apart outside of the secure, comforting environment of the home.

Home schooling is great if you want to raise a child with no exposure to any other ideas than your own,

Most people do not have the capability to home school because their own education is lacking or it is not feasible because of work schedules, etc.

If you can do it, great! If not, don't try to use it as a dodge for mandatory attendance laws or you will just be raising another idiot dependent on social services.
And yet somehow homeschooled kids kick ass on virtually every measure. For the record I homeschooled my older son. All the homeschooled kids I ever met, even where their parents were hardly intellects, were polite and could interact well with adults.
Great post Rabbi. All statistics show that homeschooled children excel far beyond public schooled children in every category (academics, social, religious, political, etc.)

“A recent study shows that homeschooled kids score almost twice as high on exams as public school students. Other studies show that homeschooled kids score 72 points higher than the national average on SAT exams.

Homeschoolers are more likely to attend college, are more likely to graduate, and have higher college GPAs (Grade Point Averages) than other students.
The old wives’ tale spread by the teachers’ unions (who are afraid of competition) is that homeschoolers are not “socialized.” Well, the facts are in. Homeschoolers are almost twice as involved in their local community or church as public school students, and almost three times as involved in politics.

Excerpt From: Wayne Allyn Root. “The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide.” Regnery Publishing, 2013-03-26. iBooks.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: The Ultimate Obama Survival Guide by Wayne Allyn Root on iBooks
Somehow, those testing advantages seem to disappear when in college. I don't know if the testing at home is more lax or they just tend to fall apart outside of the secure, comforting environment of the home.
So, IOW, the best home schooled students are on par with the best government schooled students in college? Sounds like a validation of home schooling to me, that two parents can give their child an education on par with that provided by an entire education system.

That's simply not true. Their scores are exponentially better than their fellow public-schooled college students. I've not only seen it first hand, but the studies have proven that as well.

Having lived in 8 States literally from coast to coast, I can tell you that all government schools are liberal
Interesting... I wonder why? If conservative ideology spoke more truth or presented more rationale effective ideas, wouldnt you think that would be reflected in our education system?

What does truth have to do with government schools? It's primarily a political institution
Ok take public schools out of the equation... How would you rank private schools on a liberal to conservative scale?

Overall they are more conservative, probably because they are heavily Christian in some form. However, they are way, way less political at all. If your kid leaves a government school, they get the same money and have one less kid. If a private school loses a kid, they lose the $$$ too. If public schools lose enough kids it could impact the money, but only weakly. Private schools tend to be more conservative in values, but they don't push the politics because they don't want to offend any parents.

BTW, both my kids and myself had a heavy dose of both public and private schoolss

So, IOW, the best home schooled students are on par with the best government schooled students in college? Sounds like a validation of home schooling to me, that two parents can give their child an education on par with that provided by an entire education system.
No, they're not on a par. All of the scary-smart people I've ever known were publicly schooled.

That's simply not true. Their scores are exponentially better than their fellow public-schooled college students. I've not only seen it first hand, but the studies have proven that as well.
I haven't seen it first hand but admittedly, my sample size is small. Maybe you can refer me to the studies.

I could not teach in today's world. Not for the pittance they are paid for putting up with today's entitled youth. I would never forego my earning potential to do that. Why anyone does is bizarre. Its so much easier to make double in the private sector for half the effort.

"pittance?" They hardly do any work. They have a 6 hour work day and they only work about 180 days out of the year. They get paid far more than they are worth, if you ask me.

Utterly ignorant. ^^^
I know of no teacher that only works during office hours. If they do, they're not a good teacher.
And I know of no people in the private sector (at least in the corporate world - might be different in the blue collar world, I don't really know) that only work office hours. What is your point?

Those teachers are still putting in anywhere from 50% to 75% less hours than the average American and making around 40% to 45% more money. It's so absurd there is no way to articulate it.

And for the record - their job is to teach and the students are not available to them after school hours. Which means they are not doing their core job after office hours. At most they might be grading a few papers with their feet up in front of the tv. Oooooh! Comparing a students answers to an answer key. And hell, their spouses and their children help with that most of the time anyway. Bottom line - it's the ultimate cush job. And I'm ok with that. I really am. But stop screwing the tax payer with these exorbitant salaries, healthcare plans, and retirement pensions. Pay them $35,000 year (more than fair for part time work), give them a good healthcare plan (not cadillac) and a good pension (again - not cadillac) and then sell them on the fact that they not only have job security, excellent benefits, but that they also get an extreme amount of personal time and vacation time. That is a FAIR total compensation package. I'm sick of these left-wing unions wanting their cake and eating it to. They want employees to make six-figures a year and work less than part time. Sorry, but that's not how the real world works.

I haven't seen it first hand but admittedly, my sample size is small. Maybe you can refer me to the studies.
Here they are...

Do Homeschool Kids Really Rate Better on Standardized Tests?

Here they are....

15 Key Facts About Homeschooled Kids in College - OnlineCollege.org

Homeschool World - Articles - The Facts Are In: Homeschoolers Excel - Practical Homeschooling Magazine

HSLDA | Socialization: Homeschoolers Are in the Real World

Might produce good grades for some but the real world isn't at home with mom.

Home schooled kids do much better in college than others, so what's the downside?
Isolated weird kids that can't fit in.
If you're going to comment - could you at least know what you're talking about first instead of just making shit up to support an irrational ideology?!?

Homeschooled children are exponentially more socially adjust than public school misfits. They are more active in their community, church, and politics than public school students.

15 Key Facts About Homeschooled Kids in College - OnlineCollege.org

Homeschool World - Articles - The Facts Are In: Homeschoolers Excel - Practical Homeschooling Magazine

HSLDA | Socialization: Homeschoolers Are in the Real World

Home schooled children outperform their public school counterparts in every metric

That alone is reason to home school your kids

The main purpose of public or private schools IMHO, is to introduce the little darlings to the real world. Then as a close second, they learn their three Rs but should not be indoctrinated into any political sway right or left...or religion....including the Church of LGBT...

There is lack of oversight in homeschooling and the kids grow up stunted. Yeah I know they go to random gatherings now and then to socialize, but it's not the same as day in day out interfacing with their peers, working out issues, learning the ropes of real life that they'll have to face one day.

Best you can do is send them along, monitor their every day with idle conversation (where you are gleaning the hell out of what's actually going on there) and staying in touch with their teachers and school staff as often as you can. Go in and volunteer now and then in class, on the playground, events etc. Then your kids see you out there in the real world too and how you handle it.

I'm just not a fan of homeschooling.

Nothing is either a good or bad solution for everyone. Some people thrive with homeschooling, some not so much.

The main purpose of public or private schools IMHO, is to introduce the little darlings to the real world. Then as a close second, they learn their three Rs but should not be indoctrinated into any political sway right or left...or religion....including the Church of LGBT...

There is lack of oversight in homeschooling and the kids grow up stunted. Yeah I know they go to random gatherings now and then to socialize, but it's not the same as day in day out interfacing with their peers, working out issues, learning the ropes of real life that they'll have to face one day.

Best you can do is send them along, monitor their every day with idle conversation (where you are gleaning the hell out of what's actually going on there) and staying in touch with their teachers and school staff as often as you can. Go in and volunteer now and then in class, on the playground, events etc. Then your kids see you out there in the real world too and how you handle it.

I'm just not a fan of homeschooling.

Nothing is either a good or bad solution for everyone. Some people thrive with homeschooling, some not so much.
That is a great point and very true! I think history has proven that homeschooled children do get better results, but that doesn't mean that it is for everyone. Some children will certainly do better in a public school settings.

Forum List

Back