Is homeschooling a good solution?

ITT I see a lot of people who lack a basic education wishing to pass on their lack of a basic education to their children rather than giving their children the chance to be educated, form their own opinions, and succeed in life.

If your world view is so fragile as to be defeated by basic education...it may mean that your world view is wrong...not that basic education is wrong.
Or it may be that the more liberals have gotten involved in education, the more it has failed. Since Jimmy Carter created the Department of Education, we have seen national scores plummet. So the "lack of basic education" I see is from people like you who have no idea what they are talking about, are mindless little minions to the system, refuse to question their masters, and are too lazy to take responsibility for their children - preferring instead to have the government raise them.

Really? Which scores? What is your metric for making that determination? What has the Department of Education done to cause this so-called plummet?
They've unconstitutionally involved themselves in an issue that they have no business involving themselves in and which they are not designed to over see.

So what have they done? Well, they've illegally passed out federal dollars to get schools systems hooked (like crack cocaine) and then threatened to withhold those dollars in the future if the school systems did not incorporate their curriculum.

Do you have any idea why the Department of Education was formed in response to?

States who refused to institute the changes needed to improve their state's educational programs. Congress wanted oversight to keep these states in line. As time has gone by, improvement has been made and their influence has waned.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things we probably could do away with the Department of education, but using them as a scapegoat is just disingenuous.
Well that is completely nonsensical. The federal government has zero authority to (and I quote) "keep these state in line". The federal government is granted 18 specific enumerated powers in the Constitution and education is not one of them.

Furthermore, you're completely making this shit up as Congress wasn't even involved in the creation of the Department of Education. It was created by Jimmy Carter himself.

The fact that you're not even aware of how it was created - and worse - that you have no idea that the federal government is not legally authorized to dictate to states to "improve their educational programs" just goes to show that you're not qualified to be involved in this discussion.

It doesn't matter what liberals want or demand. The U.S. Constitution is the law. And until such time as it is amended, anything beyond those 18 enumerated powers that the federal government engages in is 100% illegal. It's amazing the criminal activity that you engage in and support. Shameful. And to think you are tasked with education our youth. No wonder so many people are turning to home schooling.

I see you were badly educated but let me explain you something, not all laws are in the Constitution... There is a whole thing congress and the senate who pass laws all the time and guess what they are legal...

This is the crazy stuff that I think questions should you be teaching in homeschooling... No knowing the basics of how government works seems pretty poor..

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.
Research Facts on Homeschooling | Research

RESEARCH FACTS ON HOMESCHOOLING

Brian D. Ray, Ph.D.March 23, 2016

Copyright © Brian D. RayDownload/Print PDF Version

General Facts, Statistics, and Trends
  • Homeschooling – that is, parent-led home-based education; home education – is an age-old traditional educational practice that a decade ago appeared to be cutting-edge and “alternative” but is now bordering on “mainstream” in the United States. It may be the fastest-growing form of education in the United States. Home-based education has also been growing around the world in many other nations (e.g., Australia, Canada, France, Hungary, Japan, Kenya, Russia, Mexico, South Korea, Thailand, and the United Kingdom).
  • A demographically wide variety of people homeschool – these are atheists, Christians, and Mormons; conservatives, libertarians, and liberals; low-, middle-, and high-income families; black, Hispanic, and white; parents with Ph.D.s, GEDs, and no high-school diplomas. One study shows that 32 percent of homeschool students are Black, Asian, Hispanic, and others (i.e., not White/non-Hispanic) (Noel, Stark, & Redford, 2013).
  • There are about 2.3 million home-educated students in the United States. This is up from one estimate that there were about 2 million children (in grades K to 12) home educated during the spring of 2010 in the United States (Ray, 2011). It appears the homeschool population is continuing to grow (at an estimated 2% to 8% per annum over the past few years).
  • Families engaged in home-based education are not dependent on public, tax-funded resources for their children’s education. The finances associated with their homeschooling likely represent over $27 billion that American taxpayers do not have to spend, annually, since these children are not in public schools
  • Taxpayers spend an average of $11,732 per pupil in public schools, plus capital expenditures. Taxpayers spend nothing on most homeschool students and homeschool families spend an average of $600 per student for their education.
  • Homeschooling is quickly growing in popularity among minorities. About 15% of homeschool families are non-white/nonHispanic (i.e., not white/Anglo).
  • An estimated 3.4 million U.S. adults have been homeschooled for at least one year of their K-12 years, and they were homeschooled an average of 6 to 8 years. If one adds to this number the 2.3 million being homeschooled today, an estimated 5.7 million Americans have experienced being homeschooled. [note 1]
Reasons and Motivations for Home Educating
  • Most parents and youth decide to homeschool for more than one reason.
  • The most common reasons given for homeschooling are the following:
    · customize or individualize the curriculum and learning environment for each child,

· accomplish more academically than in schools,

· use pedagogical approaches other than those typical in institutional schools,

· enhance family relationships between children and parents and among siblings,

· provide guided and reasoned social interactions with youthful peers and adults,

· provide a safer environment for children and youth, because of physical violence, drugs and alcohol, psychological abuse, racism, and improper and unhealthy sexuality associated with institutional schools, and

· teach and impart a particular set of values, beliefs, and worldview to children and youth.

Academic Performance
    • The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.) A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students (Ray, 2015).
    • Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.
    • Whether homeschool parents were ever certified teachers is not related to their children’s academic achievement.
    • Degree of state control and regulation of homeschooling is not related to academic achievement.
    • Home-educated students typically score above average on the SAT and ACT tests that colleges consider for admissions.
    • Homeschool students are increasingly being actively recruited by colleges.

Social, Emotional, and Psychological Development (Socialization)
      • The home-educated are doing well, typically above average, on measures of social, emotional, and psychological development. Research measures include peer interaction, self-concept, leadership skills, family cohesion, participation in community service, and self-esteem.
      • Homeschool students are regularly engaged in social and educational activities outside their homes and with people other than their nuclear-family members. They are commonly involved in activities such as field trips, scouting, 4-H, political drives, church ministry, sports teams, and community volunteer work.
      • Adults who were home educated are more politically tolerant than the public schooled in the limited research done so far.
      Gender Differences in Children and Youth Respected?
      • One researcher finds that homeschooling gives young people an unusual chance to ask questions such as, “Who am I?” and “What do I really want?,” and through the process of such asking and gradually answering the questions home-educated girls develop the strengths and the resistance abilities that give them an unusually strong sense of self.
      • Some think that boys’ energetic natures and tendency to physical expression can more easily be accommodated in home-based education. Many are concerned that a highly disproportionate number of public school special-education students are boys and that boys are 2.5 times as likely as girls in public schools to be diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
      Success in the “Real World” of Adulthood
      The research base on adults who were home educated is growing; thus far it indicates that they:
      • participate in local community service more frequently than does the general population,
      • vote and attend public meetings more frequently than the general population
      • go to and succeed at college at an equal or higher rate than the general population
      • by adulthood, internalize the values and beliefs of their parents at a high rate
      General Interpretation of Research on Homeschool Success or Failure
      It is possible that homeschooling causes the positive traits reported above. However, the research designs to date do not conclusively “prove” that homeschooling causes these things. At the same time, there is no empirical evidence that homeschooling causes negative things compared to institutional schooling. Future research may better answer the question of causation.

Or it may be that the more liberals have gotten involved in education, the more it has failed. Since Jimmy Carter created the Department of Education, we have seen national scores plummet. So the "lack of basic education" I see is from people like you who have no idea what they are talking about, are mindless little minions to the system, refuse to question their masters, and are too lazy to take responsibility for their children - preferring instead to have the government raise them.

Really? Which scores? What is your metric for making that determination? What has the Department of Education done to cause this so-called plummet?
They've unconstitutionally involved themselves in an issue that they have no business involving themselves in and which they are not designed to over see.

So what have they done? Well, they've illegally passed out federal dollars to get schools systems hooked (like crack cocaine) and then threatened to withhold those dollars in the future if the school systems did not incorporate their curriculum.

Do you have any idea why the Department of Education was formed in response to?

States who refused to institute the changes needed to improve their state's educational programs. Congress wanted oversight to keep these states in line. As time has gone by, improvement has been made and their influence has waned.

I agree that in the grand scheme of things we probably could do away with the Department of education, but using them as a scapegoat is just disingenuous.
Well that is completely nonsensical. The federal government has zero authority to (and I quote) "keep these state in line". The federal government is granted 18 specific enumerated powers in the Constitution and education is not one of them.

Furthermore, you're completely making this shit up as Congress wasn't even involved in the creation of the Department of Education. It was created by Jimmy Carter himself.

The fact that you're not even aware of how it was created - and worse - that you have no idea that the federal government is not legally authorized to dictate to states to "improve their educational programs" just goes to show that you're not qualified to be involved in this discussion.

It doesn't matter what liberals want or demand. The U.S. Constitution is the law. And until such time as it is amended, anything beyond those 18 enumerated powers that the federal government engages in is 100% illegal. It's amazing the criminal activity that you engage in and support. Shameful. And to think you are tasked with education our youth. No wonder so many people are turning to home schooling.

I see you were badly educated but let me explain you something, not all laws are in the Constitution... There is a whole thing congress and the senate who pass laws all the time and guess what they are legal...

This is the crazy stuff that I think questions should you be teaching in homeschooling... No knowing the basics of how government works seems pretty poor..

It is funny how people who think they know something about our government in fact demonstrate rank ignorance.
Just because a law is passed does not make it constitutional. Laws are struck down all the time on those grounds.

I don't believe liberal parents should be forced to make their children attend conservative public schools in red states and vice versa.

Having lived in 8 States literally from coast to coast, I can tell you that all government schools are liberal
Interesting... I wonder why? If conservative ideology spoke more truth or presented more rationale effective ideas, wouldnt you think that would be reflected in our education system?

Having lived in 8 States literally from coast to coast, I can tell you that all government schools are liberal
Interesting... I wonder why? If conservative ideology spoke more truth or presented more rationale effective ideas, wouldnt you think that would be reflected in our education system?

What does truth have to do with government schools? It's primarily a political institution

My kids enjoy school and it just takes a very involved parent like me and my wife to pay attention to what kids are learning or being taught and to correct the mistakes and or outright lies and keep them from garbage like going to a n!gger museum for some white guilt which we did a few months ago. I was home schooled for a year

Nothing will turn your kid into an anti social loser faster than home schooling.

Odium was home schooled. He was taught to be a racist. Lucky for the rest of us. The world needs more racists. And bigots too. Home school is best for racists and homophobes.

Right, and public schooling is best if you want your kid to be a queer commie.

The U.S. Education Department was little to no impact s home schooling is a state issue.
But what does US DE do for school choice?

You have school choice in where your children attend school by where you live. They have no impact whatsoever.

That's like saying if the government passed a law forcing you to shop at Walmart, you still have the choice of moving to where there's a Walmart you like.

Try again. There was no real thought put into that post.

Nope. That analogy is exact. With government schooling, everywhere you go, the same company is providing the service.

The batshit crazy crew have moved in...

So the RW tries there best to destroy and hamper public education. While causing a lot of damage they still didn't succeed. Now they want to homeschool...

Why does anyone listen to these crackpots when they talk about education...

In Germany/Finland/Israel/Ireland... they have well paid union member teachers who offer some of the best results in the world. They actually discuss with unions about curriculum and what is best way to deliver education. Teachers are respected and are at the top end of there class...

The problem with the RW is they have no respect for education and it shows it there states... They actually mock education...

No, because the government runs the education system. Government has a vested interest in denying the truth.

What does truth have to do with government schools? It's primarily a political institution
Ok take public schools out of the equation... How would you rank private schools on a liberal to conservative scale?

No, because the government runs the education system. Government has a vested interest in denying the truth.
Refer to my last post...

You have school choice in where your children attend school by where you live. They have no impact whatsoever.

That's like saying if the government passed a law forcing you to shop at Walmart, you still have the choice of moving to where there's a Walmart you like.

Nope. That analogy is exact. With government schooling, everywhere you go, the same company is providing the service.

So the RW tries there best to destroy and hamper public education. While causing a lot of damage they still didn't succeed. Now they want to homeschool...

In Germany/Finland/Israel/Ireland... they have well paid union member teachers who offer some of the best results in the world. They actually discuss with unions about curriculum and what is best way to deliver education. Teachers are respected and are at the top end of there class...

The problem with the RW is they have no respect for education and it shows it there states... They actually mock education...
Control freak

RWs have no respect for government education.

BTW, you didn't even bother try to dispute my claim. Liberals are always talking about how bad monopolies are, but the government education system is the biggest monopoly on the planet. To defend it you have to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Face it, you're a douche bag who doesn't give a damn about education. You're only concern is continuing the government monopoly so you can continue pumping our kids full of leftist propaganda.

One of the advantages of home schooling is that it might force parents to actually learn something as well with the child. I've met adults who can barely do things above the third grade level. It isn't because they are dumb but more they just never placed any emphasis on learning. If they are forced to teach their own kids they may begin to have a new appreciation for learning itself.

Refer to my last post...

Why? It fails to provide any enlightenment.

RWs have no respect for government education.

BTW, you didn't even bother try to dispute my claim. Liberals are always talking about how bad monopolies are, but the government education system is the biggest monopoly on the planet. To defend it you have to talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Face it, you're a douche bag who doesn't give a damn about education. You're only concern is continuing the government monopoly so you can continue pumping our kids full of leftist propaganda.

I think there might be some people who feel that if the government isn't doing something then it isn't getting done at all. If the government isn't educating people then it isn't getting done at all which isn't true since there are thousands of educational opportunities that go on in this country that are independent of the government.

Homeschooling is a lot like public schools. It can work with a good teacher. It can also fail spectacularly.

I've heard so many stories of kids from homes that thought they could homeschool, failed at it miserably, and sent their kids back to public or private schools only to find their kids years behind the other kids. I've also heard many stories of parents who homeschooled and produced outstanding students. I've personally met kids who fit the full spectrum.

So if you want to try it, go ahead. But understand the implications for your kids and only do it if you can do a good job of it. I don't do it because I'd be terrible at it.

I could not teach in today's world. Not for the pittance they are paid for putting up with today's entitled youth. I would never forego my earning potential to do that. Why anyone does is bizarre. Its so much easier to make double in the private sector for half the effort.

"pittance?" They hardly do any work. They have a 6 hour work day and they only work about 180 days out of the year. They get paid far more than they are worth, if you ask me.

Utterly ignorant. ^^^
That's not even remotely "utter ignorance" - it is 100% fact. We crunched the numbers for my children's school district and they work part time. Literally part time. Only 5 hours per day (which is absolutely laughable) and then they have 3 days at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, a week at Easter, plus a slew of days for stuff that nobody else in America gets time off for (like Presidents Day, Martin Luther King Jr. day, etc.), and of course, three months in summer. And yet the average salary in the district was a staggering $78,000 per year. And mind you - that may not sound much in some areas like New York City or California. But in this area, that is a TON of money. Who in the hell makes $78,000 for part time work?!? I know people who put in 60 hours per week and don't even come close to that kind of money.

Forum List

Back