🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is Polygamy The Next Gay Marriage?

I haven't read everything in this thread, are people only referring to polygamy as a man with multiple wives, or are they also referring to a woman with multiple husbands, as well as multiple (three or more) men or women marrying each other?

Sexuality is one of the most powerful behaviors in the human repertoire. Look at the outcomes from that UBC study.

Heck, look at the outcomes in the black community after white liberals loosened the restraints on sexuality. 72% of births are to unwed mothers.

The wreckage of unrestrained sexuality is felt far and wide. If I was a liberal I sure wouldn't be taking a bow for what I'd done to the black community.

Again. Premarital and extramarital sex was not invented by liberals. Liberals simply helped de-stigmatize it.

Nope. Someone saying "no" to a marriage proposal is not the same as being denied the right to marry. Only the government can deny that right. And gays have been denied the right to marry, unless you have been living under a rock for your whole life.

Rock Hudson was married. Dr. Sally Ride was married. Meridith Baxter was married. They are/were all homosexual.

I think it is well under way, if it wasn't for bigotry of Mormons on the left, it would already be approved.

If I decide to marry my laptop computer, because we get along so well, who will represent my interests when we get divorced because the lap top no longer fulfills my needs? Are Microsoft lawyers going to take the side of the computer?

Hello again, percy.

Just power her down. Or him, if I'm reading you wrong.

No problems!

Sexuality is one of the most powerful behaviors in the human repertoire. Look at the outcomes from that UBC study.

Heck, look at the outcomes in the black community after white liberals loosened the restraints on sexuality. 72% of births are to unwed mothers.

The wreckage of unrestrained sexuality is felt far and wide. If I was a liberal I sure wouldn't be taking a bow for what I'd done to the black community.

Again. Premarital and extramarital sex was not invented by liberals. Liberals simply helped de-stigmatize it.

Stigma is a powerful social tool. When you destigmatize an activity, say robbery, you get more of it.

I haven't read everything in this thread, are people only referring to polygamy as a man with multiple wives, or are they also referring to a woman with multiple husbands, as well as multiple (three or more) men or women marrying each other?

The ultra cons here don't have a clue.

They are on a slippery slope fallacy that marriage equality will lead to polygamy (one and more than one wife).

Several, which would include Rik and Pop23, would like polyandry, though.

I can see that you won't take the suggestion to not be stupid.

The changing of sexual morals can be laid at the door of liberals, you're right.

Instead of doing these things (premarital and extramarital sex) and being hypocrites about it, like conservatives, liberals decided that sexuality was something that was normal, and should be explored safely and honestly.

And here comes the racism; I knew you could or would not resist. Just plain stupid.

The sexual brutalization of women of color began centuries ago by British and colonial conservative slave owners.

Put up some data on out of wedlock birth rates for black women from the beginning to the end of the 20th Century and let's see if what you say is true.

Nope. Someone saying "no" to a marriage proposal is not the same as being denied the right to marry. Only the government can deny that right. And gays have been denied the right to marry, unless you have been living under a rock for your whole life.

Rock Hudson was married. Dr. Sally Ride was married. Meridith Baxter was married. They are/were all homosexual.
Three examples of closeted gay people entering into a heterosexual marriage does not change the obvious fact that gay people have been denied the right to marry. The fact you dispute this obvious reality says a lot about you.

Stigma is a powerful social tool. When you destigmatize an activity, say robbery, you get more of it.

stigmas are established in a certain historical context and might become irrelevant as history progresses and society changes.

There needs to be a compelling interest to stigmatize a behavior.

By the way, the high rate of households headed by single mothers is unfortunate, and I don't see it as a positive. However, it's not the sex that's the problem, it's the under-utilization of birth control.

The changing of sexual morals can be laid at the door of liberals, you're right.

Instead of doing these things (premarital and extramarital sex) and being hypocrites about it, like conservatives, liberals decided that sexuality was something that was normal, and should be explored safely and honestly.

And here comes the racism; I knew you could or would not resist. Just plain stupid.

The sexual brutalization of women of color began centuries ago by British and colonial conservative slave owners.

Put up some data on out of wedlock birth rates for black women from the beginning to the end of the 20th Century and let's see if what you say is true.

I am talking about centuries of racial abuse of black women by white men, and you try to deflect away from your racism.

Hint: won't happen.

stigmas are established in a certain historical context and might become irrelevant as history progresses and society changes.

Stigma is also applied unevenly. Oppressed groups have a certain behavior stigmatized (such as premarital and extramarital sex) that the group in power continues to practice unscathed (mistresses for wealthy men).

There is a compelling need to stigmatize far right behavior, and we see the millennials do it more and more every day on sexuality, abuse of workers by capital, and turning away from hardcore evangelicalism, Pentecostalism, and fundamentalism.

Though this is straying off topic, part of the reason is that welfare benefits are higher for unwed mothers than a household with a child and a spouse. Thus in poorer communities (and black communities on average are the poorest) there is a disincentive to marry.

So many REAL problems face our nation. Why do we always bog ourselves down with these stupid social issues?
Americans being denied their civil liberties is a real problem.

Gays have never been denied the right to marry
Incorrect.

In Utah, for example, Derek Kitchen, Moudi Sbeity, Karen Archer, Kate Call, Laurie Wood, and Kody Partridge are all gay persons denied the right to marry in that state, in violation of their civil liberties:

https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/13/13-4178.pdf

So many REAL problems face our nation. Why do we always bog ourselves down with these stupid social issues?
Americans being denied their civil liberties is a real problem.

Gays have never been denied the right to marry
Incorrect.

In Utah, for example, Derek Kitchen, Moudi Sbeity, Karen Archer, Kate Call, Laurie Wood, and Kody Partridge are all gay persons denied the right to marry in that state, in violation of their civil liberties:

https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/13/13-4178.pdf

Thank you.

Is that the new metric now, mere survival? Actions have consequences, social practices have social consequences, societal laws and customs have consequences. Different outcomes matter. No one is arguing a binary state - a social practice or the end of the world.

You take for granted the nature of society, that you can grossly reform the practices and you'll still have society operating as you know it, as though society is a product of nature, like a mountain. When we look out at the world we see different outcomes for societies and most of those outcomes are caused, not by bad luck, but by choices that shaped the rules of societies.

I realize that with changes, we'll never have "society operating as you know it." Things change all the time. It is the unfortunate affliction of the old and the old at heart that they see every change as another piece of the sky falling.

Have you studied any world history? Do you have any idea what brought down the great civilizations of the past. Do you know why China survived and Rome fell?
Do you have any idea that this fails as slippery slope fallacy, as well as being ignorant and ridiculous.

There needs to be a compelling interest to stigmatize a behavior.

By the way, the high rate of households headed by single mothers is unfortunate, and I don't see it as a positive. However, it's not the sex that's the problem, it's the under-utilization of birth control.

Sex has consequences apart from pregnancy.

SexandDepression_zpsb70e543e.jpg

SexandHappiness_zps797abf5b.jpg

SexandHappiness1_zps29dba96a.jpg

Correlation does not prove causation, Rikurzhen.

People who are unhappy to begin with may seek out more sex partners in order to "find" that happiness.

Either way, education is important for sexuality.

Forum List

Back