Is religion really so bad?

All the positive aspects and attributes ushered forth through ones religious faith can likewise be done without believing in lies and falsehoods. Though to do so, without belief of an eternal reward requires more courage, and conviction...

Yes...I think I agree. One doesn't have to be religious to be good.

But there is something about religion, the mysticism, the search for god and meaning that is important.

There is in my mind a vast difference between religion and religious organizations. The former is internal, reflective and honest; for the most part, the latter is very little different than a political party.
... the latter is very little different than a political party.

of which with historical records not one without oppression and persecution for who may have disagreed with them including an appetite for slavery and physical torture especially from the late 4th century (christian bible) to the present day. and not one to overthrow an existing totalitarian gov't but to have consistently been at the forefront of their support. -

EarthLink - Politics - Trump faulted for not explicitly rebuking white supremacists

including the present religious based administration.

Religion requires you make an offering. FYI: That's $68B/yr in the US alone.

No, religion does not require an offering, that is a lie. You don't even have to show up in a church somewhere.

You've never heard of Mormonism?

If you don't go to church, why would you be a member of the church?

One religion does not equate or represent all religions. See, this is what you do, take one small example and paint every other organization as though they're all the same. That is lazy thinking and it's wrong. And intellectually dishonest.

Some people aren't physically able to go anywhere, even to church services. Others have no money; news flash: people with no money are not denied membership in a religion. I know you hate religion, but you oughta at least be accurate in what you are bitching about.

To believe that religious organizations collectively bilk $68B/yr from their parishioners isn't racketeering is
intellectually dishonest.

Racketeering is an illegal act, there is nothing illegal about any church asking for donations. No one is forced to give, you can get up and walk out any time you want to and that includes the Mormons. Again, you lie.

I suppose next you'll tell us that no one has ever been shunned for leaving a religion?

Religion requires you make an offering. FYI: That's $68B/yr in the US alone.

No, religion does not require an offering, that is a lie. You don't even have to show up in a church somewhere.

One religion does not equate or represent all religions. See, this is what you do, take one small example and paint every other organization as though they're all the same. That is lazy thinking and it's wrong. And intellectually dishonest.

Some people aren't physically able to go anywhere, even to church services. Others have no money; news flash: people with no money are not denied membership in a religion. I know you hate religion, but you oughta at least be accurate in what you are bitching about.

To believe that religious organizations collectively bilk $68B/yr from their parishioners isn't racketeering is
Last year, Americans spent $10.7 trillion shopping. I wonder how much of that was for new Tattoos? I reckon $68B now sort of pales in comparison. And with all due respect, many churches collect for the needy and run schools and orphanages --- take care of widows. A pastor certainly deserves some sort of compensation, sanctuaries need to to heated, lighted and maintained. And then there is missionary work abroad and in urban areas. Sort of makes all those tattoos, jewelry, drinks, and concert tickets seem like total frivolity.

Comparing religion forced giving to buying stuff? Really?

Last year, Americans spent $10.7 trillion shopping. I wonder how much of that was for new Tattoos? I reckon $68B now sort of pales in comparison. And with all due respect, many churches collect for the needy and run schools and orphanages --- take care of widows. A pastor certainly deserves some sort of compensation, sanctuaries need to to heated, lighted and maintained. And then there is missionary work abroad and in urban areas. Sort of makes all those tattoos, jewelry, drinks, and concert tickets seem like total frivolity.

The Christian church I attend doesn't even pass the collectionplate. I'm not a Scientologist, perhaps you had dealing with them?

DHKzsRiWsAAyZKA.jpg

The Christian church I attend doesn't even pass the collectionplate. I'm not a Scientologist, perhaps you had dealing with them?

ec02150d1322a8de438a471f8f4cdc95.jpg

I cannot believe that non-Christians can be soooooooooooooooooo glibly uneducated regarding the Bible.

Education averts faith over reason based thinking.

How nice for you to be so highly educated that you can discard faith. Could be that you are outsmarting yourself a little bit. And to be so arrogant about it, like you know so much more than everyone else, typical progressive liberal democrat mindset. Faith is a lot more than just religion, we need it in our relationships, do we not? A life without any faith is a poor choice. What about love, is love reason-based thinking? I'm sure you will say yes, but I don't think love can exist without faith. How many relationships fall apart due to a lack or faith, or never fully develop as much as they could have?

There are a whole lot of people on this Earth who love and need their religious faith, people in far more desperate straits than you or I. For them faith in their religion is a staunch pillar for them to lean on to get through the really touch stretches, and don't think their religion doesn't help them quite a bit. You say it ain't real, but it sure as hell is to them. Reason-based thinking gets you absolutely nowhere when it comes to grief and suffering; but faith in a religion can offer the belief in an afterlife free of the pain and suffering plus the bonus of reuniting with lost loved ones. "You'e born, you live, and you die and that's it" doesn't offer much solace compared to that. And then there's the comfort of having so many others who believe as you do and will aid and help you when you need it most.

I think those highly educated people who avert faith are discarding a big part of their humanity. Do not be so sure of what is true or real and what isn't.

I cannot believe that non-Christians can be soooooooooooooooooo glibly uneducated regarding the Bible.
unraveling just the deceptions of the 4th century book would begin the process for "christians" to realistically understand how to accomplish Admission to the Everlasting.

How nice for you to be so highly educated that you can discard faith. Could be that you are outsmarting yourself a little bit. And to be so arrogant about it, like you know so much more than everyone else, typical progressive liberal democrat mindset. Faith is a lot more than just religion, we need it in our relationships, do we not? A life without any faith is a poor choice. What about love, is love reason-based thinking? I'm sure you will say yes, but I don't think love can exist without faith. How many relationships fall apart due to a lack or faith, or never fully develop as much as they could have?

There are a whole lot of people on this Earth who love and need their religious faith, people in far more desperate straits than you or I. For them faith in their religion is a staunch pillar for them to lean on to get through the really touch stretches, and don't think their religion doesn't help them quite a bit. You say it ain't real, but it sure as hell is to them. Reason-based thinking gets you absolutely nowhere when it comes to grief and suffering; but faith in a religion can offer the belief in an afterlife free of the pain and suffering plus the bonus of reuniting with lost loved ones. "You'e born, you live, and you die and that's it" doesn't offer much solace compared to that. And then there's the comfort of having so many others who believe as you do and will aid and help you when you need it most.

I think those highly educated people who avert faith are discarding a big part of their humanity. Do not be so sure of what is true or real and what isn't.

No. I discard faith over reason with dealing with religion. To lump faith in a religion versus a personal relationship is deception. You'd better run to church and ask for forgiveness.

The one I love! The ever lasting life bullshit.....something the church will never have to back.

You're a fool. If you want to do something for humanity, quit voting Republican.

No. I discard faith over reason with dealing with religion. To lump faith in a religion versus a personal relationship is deception. You'd better run to church and ask for forgiveness.

The one I love! The ever lasting life bullshit.....something the church will never have to back.

You're a fool. If you want to do something for humanity, quit voting Republican.

If you want to do something for your children, quit voting Democrat. Funny, you calling somebody else a fool. I think we're done here.

If you want to do something for your children, quit voting Democrat. Funny, you calling somebody else a fool. I think we're done here.

Since 1970, name one bill written or supported by a Republican that benefits the middle class without giving the rich/wealthy a healthy advantage?

If you really want to do something for your children tell them to vote for anyone but the Dems and the GOP. They're both retard parties.

If you really want to do something for your children tell them to vote for anyone but the Dems and the GOP. They're both retard parties.

For the most part that's all that will win in national elections. Voting for any other political organization is throwing your vote away. Besides, the ONLY party to push for higher wages (which is the biggest problem for the middle class) is Democrats.

For the most part that's all that will win in national elections. Voting for any other political organization is throwing your vote away. Besides, the ONLY party to push for higher wages (which is the biggest problem for the middle class) is Democrats.
Then you are part of the problem.

In what way?

In what way?
The 2 main parties have had their chances and screwed the whole country up. So if you still want to vote for either one of them, you are part of the problem.

For the foreseeable future, either the GOP or the Dems will control Congress and the White House. Be nice if there was a viable 3rd party, but there isn't so anybody who does not vote for one or the other is wasting their vote. Most of the time it comes down to who you dislike the most and vote for the other person, but that beats not making any choice at all. Sorry situation and maybe that'll change but at this point I don't see a political savior out there just yet.

Forum List

Back