Is something on the order of 1964's election what we are cruising toward?

My guess is that the debates will be the final turning point, the moment when Trump's abject lack of knowledge on critical issues and generally shallow thought processes will be on full display and undeniable.
It is my opinion that Trump will drive Hillary to the point of insanity that she will go into one of her uncontrolled fits and head shaking for millions of Americans to see.

It is my opinion that Trump will drive Hillary to the point of insanity that she will go into one of her uncontrolled fits and head shaking for millions of Americans to see.

Yeah. Right. Hey Remember when Trey Gowdy Doody got her in front of his panel, and she smacked them around for 8 hours?

I'm sure Trump can talk about his Dick size at the debates. That worked out well for him.

as far as i know only the party picks its nominee. but each state sets the rules for who can be on the ballot in the general election. as far as i know there is a certain amount of time to decline a nomination and then the name has to be on the ballot.

i don't think trump will drop out. no one can make him drop out. he might just refuse to debate and do other things like say they're not being "fair" to him.
In my state, the closing date for ballot access (appearing on the ballot) was last Mar 18. Unless there's a quirk in the law I don't know about, it tells me that only the current Republican nominee will be representing the GOP in our state, whether he's still in the race or not.

I don't mean literally 1964's election map and results, but rather something akin to the degree of dominance observed in that or other past elections.

1964_Electoral_Map.png

2000px-ElectoralCollege1932.svg.png

2000px-ElectoralCollege1968.svg.png

2008.jpg

Just how bad do you think Trump's loss will be?

Clinton is now leading in Arizona and Georgia. The last time the dems carried both states was 1948.

I suspect Hillary's total electoral count will be in the mid 300s.

I can see Clinton getting 350+ EV. The obvious variable here is if there is some October surprise from Assange or something like that.
I'm not sure even an October surprise would have much effect. The country is so weary of allegations about Clinton that end up going nowhere that I think we're inured to them by now. The GOP has cried "WOLF" too many times already.

I think the media could show Hillary clubbing baby seals and the general response among the electorate would be, "Prove it, Mr. Gowdy (on your own dime, this time).

This race reminds me closely of 1964

Goldwaters slogan was......In your heart, you know he is right

Democrats responded........In your guts, you know he is nuts

I can see Clinton getting 350+ EV. The obvious variable here is if there is some October surprise from Assange or something like that.
I'm not sure even an October surprise would have much effect. The country is so weary of allegations about Clinton that end up going nowhere that I think we're inured to them by now. The GOP has cried "WOLF" too many times already.

I think the media could show Hillary clubbing baby seals and the general response among the electorate would be, "Prove it, Mr. Gowdy (on your own dime, this time).
Yeah, it could be just another spit in the hurricane at that point, and the Right simply doesn't see that.

Plus, the nature of the allegations may be too vague for many, or they wouldn't see why they should care.

Clinton is now leading in Arizona and Georgia. The last time the dems carried both states was 1948.

I suspect Hillary's total electoral count will be in the mid 300s.
For the past month I've been forecasting 345 EC for Hillary, but Trump has been losing ground since then.

Yeah, it could be just another spit in the hurricane at that point, and the Right simply doesn't see that.

Plus, the nature of the allegations may be too vague for many, or they wouldn't see why they should care.
I don't think anyone on the right is planning to vote for Hillary no matter what. They may not vote for Trump, but they'll definitely not vote for Hillary.*

I think the autopsy of the general election will show that a lot of registered Republicans sat it out. They'd rather let Hillary win than vote for Trump. They'll be able to say that they didn't vote for her and leave it at that, allowing them the luxury of complaining about every utterance and move she makes for the rest of her life.

*I also suspect that there will be a significant number of women voters who are denigrating Hillary in public who will be voting for her in the privacy of the polling booth. "Of course I'm voting for the Donald, Bubba!" Yeah, right.

Watch for unexplained discrepancies between exit polls and vote counts favoring Hillary. The GOP will scream "election tampering!" but we'll all know the real reason. A lot of people on both sides of the spectrum think we need a woman in the WH.

I don't see the GOP using the same slogan, at least not at this point, but the Democrats can certainly "lift, rinse and repeat" theirs from 1964.
I remember the 1964 election

Goldwater was not looked at as just too conservative, his views were looked at as dangerous

Trumps views are much more bizarre than Goldwaters ever were

I don't think anyone on the right is planning to vote for Hillary no matter what. They may not vote for Trump, but they'll definitely not vote for Hillary.*

I think the autopsy of the general election will show that a lot of registered Republicans sat it out. They'd rather let Hillary win than vote for Trump. They'll be able to say that they didn't vote for her and leave it at that, allowing them the luxury of complaining about every utterance and move she makes for the rest of her life.

*I also suspect that there will be a significant number of women voters who are denigrating Hillary in public who will be voting for her in the privacy of the polling booth. "Of course I'm voting for the Donald, Bubba!" Yeah, right.

Watch for unexplained discrepancies between exit polls and vote counts favoring Hillary. The GOP will scream "election tampering!" but we'll all know the real reason. A lot of people on both sides of the spectrum think we need a woman in the WH.
Obama took 55% of the women's vote in 2012
Under normal circumstances with the first female candidate, you would expect 60%

But against a mysoginist like Trump, I suspect we could see 65-70% of the women's vote going to Hillary

as far as i know only the party picks its nominee. but each state sets the rules for who can be on the ballot in the general election. as far as i know there is a certain amount of time to decline a nomination and then the name has to be on the ballot.

i don't think trump will drop out. no one can make him drop out. he might just refuse to debate and do other things like say they're not being "fair" to him.
In my state, the closing date for ballot access (appearing on the ballot) was last Mar 18. Unless there's a quirk in the law I don't know about, it tells me that only the current Republican nominee will be representing the GOP in our state, whether he's still in the race or not.

that would be my guess, too.

I don't see the GOP using the same slogan, at least not at this point, but the Democrats can certainly "lift, rinse and repeat" theirs from 1964.

Goldwater was not looked at as just too conservative, his views were looked at as dangerous

that one was before my time. but it's not trump's views that are bizarre (since he appears not to have any except for supremacy of old white males) it's him.

that one was before my time. but it's not trump's views that are bizarre (since he appears not to have any except for supremacy of old white males) it's him.
The Cold War was very real in the early '60s and we lived under constant threat of nuclear annihilation at any moment. Goldwater was thought to be very willing to use nuclear weapons to back up his conservative views around the globe.

America's opinion of him and his views was clearly expressed in the 1964 presidential election.

I "get" your point, but I also think that the idea that white men are or should be supreme to non white males is quite a bizarre idea.

The Cold War was very real in the early '60s and we lived under constant threat of nuclear annihilation at any moment. Goldwater was thought to be very willing to use nuclear weapons to back up his conservative views around the globe.

America's opinion of him and his views was clearly expressed in the 1964 presidential election.

...Or put another way...One's keen understanding and awareness of the world prior to one's own time need not be limited to that which occurs in one's time. One can allow one's own set of experiences and personal observations to be the limit of what one grasps well, but one doesn't have to do that.

Forum List

Back