🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

ISIS burns 1,800-year-old church in Mosul

Sad to see so many old edifices destroyed by these barbarians who have no appreciation for ancient things.

[7/20/2014 12:25:08 AM]

AMMONNEWS - Militants from the radical jihadist group the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria have set fire to a 1,800-year-old church in Iraq’s second largest city of Mosul, a photo released Saturday shows.

The burning of the church is the latest in a series of destruction of Christian property in Mosul, which was taken by the Islamist rebels last month, along with other swathes of Iraqi territory.

A video posted on YouTube July 9 shows a tomb being destroyed with a sledgehammer which government officials said was “almost certainly” the tomb of Biblical prophet Jonah.

Continue reading at:

ISIS burns 1,800-year-old church in Mosul | World | Ammon News

Why ISIS didn't attack synagogues? they only attack churches and mosques! :eusa_shhh:

ISIS Leader Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi Trained by Israeli Mossad, NSA Documents Reveal | Global Research

The representative of ISIS on this forum doesn't seem to have the smarts that his buddies already have destroyed the synagogues of Jews. Perhaps this devout Muslim, Freeman, can tell us how many Jews are left in Iraq. He can also tell us why his Muslim brethren have to destroy old churches and other antiquities. And lastly he can tell us why his brethren can't give their killings and destroying a rest during Ramadan which is supposed to be the Holiest Month in Islam. Perhaps Ramadan to Freeman's buddies means you have to kill more and destroy more.

Sad to see so many old edifices destroyed by these barbarians who have no appreciation for ancient things.

AMMONNEWS - Militants from the radical jihadist group the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria have set fire to a 1,800-year-old church in Iraq’s second largest city of Mosul, a photo released Saturday shows.

The burning of the church is the latest in a series of destruction of Christian property in Mosul, which was taken by the Islamist rebels last month, along with other swathes of Iraqi territory.

A video posted on YouTube July 9 shows a tomb being destroyed with a sledgehammer which government officials said was “almost certainly” the tomb of Biblical prophet Jonah.

Continue reading at:

Why ISIS didn't attack synagogues? they only attack churches and mosques! :eusa_shhh:

ISIS Leader Abu Bakr Al Baghdadi Trained by Israeli Mossad, NSA Documents Reveal | Global Research

The representative of ISIS on this forum doesn't seem to have the smarts that his buddies already have destroyed the synagogues of Jews. Perhaps this devout Muslim, Freeman, can tell us how many Jews are left in Iraq. He can also tell us why his Muslim brethren have to destroy old churches and other antiquities. And lastly he can tell us why his brethren can't give their killings and destroying a rest during Ramadan which is supposed to be the Holiest Month in Islam. Perhaps Ramadan to Freeman's buddies means you have to kill more and destroy more.
The killings and massacres seem to ramp up during Ramadung. I think the fasting drives the wild beasts into a blood frenzy.

The IDF savages only have the courage to attack muslims during the month of Ramadan.

Because they know the muslim's will be weak from fasting.

The other 11 months the IDF cowers in fear of Hamas and Hezbollah. .. :cool:

Made possible by United States of Amerika. I'd wager that the people from that church wish Sadham was still in charge.

yes----you have described the SYSTEM created by the filth of shariah-----it always ----ALWAYS --
includes some sort of ALLIANCE with some groups of Kaffirin used alternatively as either
pawns or as tributary populations. The Islamic system can never stand alone

Continue reading at:

Dear [MENTION=36253]Sally[/MENTION]: someone on another site tried to correct factual errors in this article:

thinkitthrough said:
I call bull*** on this whole article.
There's no such thing as an "1,800-year-old church"
The actual name of the church is never mentioned
The only place in Mosul traditionally associated with the resting place of Jonah is a mosque, not a church ("The Mosque of the Prophet Yunus")

No reliable source has corroborated this alleged "news"

EDIT: the reputed oldest church in Mosul - "Shamoun Al-Safa" - dates from the 13th Century. So 800-years-old is about as ancient as it gets for churches in Mosul. Of course, the article doesn't even give the name of the building they are referring to.

EDIT2: the "burning church" in the photo is actually Echmiadzin Cathedral, in Armenia [but see addendum]. Needless to say, it has not been attacked by ISIS, nor has it burnt down.

EDIT3: ... I admit: I had to google what it was - that's how out of touch I am with the culture here (despite years and years of casual exposure) :)
In that vein... there was a point where... I started to lose faith in this ... as an evidence-based source of information. My posts were buried deep in the minus column and I thought to myself "epistemologically, if this is how 'worldnews' operates ... because the irrelevance of actual facts to the discussion is undeniable".

Finally, addendum on the second edit: Echmiadzin Cathedral (the real one) is the only church even close to being 1800 years old (though at least 100 years shy). It is, in fact, the oldest continuous church in the world by most measures. The idea that "St Echmiadzin's Armenian church" is actually located in Mosul is just false. Having said that, I have no idea what the "burning church" photo depicts if it is not "St Echmiadzin Church" as captioned in the photo. The "architectural details" of any buildings on fire are obviously obscured by the smoke covering the upper left hand corner, no?

In any case, I hope I have provided at least some reason to believe the article may in fact be bull***. :)

EDIT4: As an American it's disconcerting that I even need to say this, but here goes...
Yes: ISIS are very bad people, as are all violent Islamist terrorists. Killing civilians is wrong, and "collateral damage" is no excuse.

Also, as a non-religious person, it is sobering to observe how naive acceptance of the 'factual' claims in the original 'pseudo-news' article tends to correlate with certain confessional interests (whether religious or political).

It is blindingly obvious that ISIS is not Greenpeace. So is it really necessary to forge evidence, and make *** up, to reach that conclusion?

Last edited:
Ok someone exaggerated the age of the church-----it is certainly true that there is no reason
to believe that a church in Iraq can be 1800 years old------so?

Continue reading at:

Dear [MENTION=36253]Sally[/MENTION]: someone on another site tried to correct factual errors in this article:

thinkitthrough said:
The only place in Mosul traditionally associated with the resting place of Jonah is a mosque, not a church ("The Mosque of the Prophet Yunus")

EDIT: the reputed oldest church in Mosul - "Shamoun Al-Safa" - dates from the 13th Century. So 800-years-old is about as ancient as it gets for churches in Mosul. Of course, the article doesn't even give the name of the building they are referring to.

EDIT2: the "burning church" in the photo is actually Echmiadzin Cathedral, in Armenia [but see addendum]. Needless to say, it has not been attacked by ISIS, nor has it burnt down.

EDIT3: ... I admit: I had to google what it was - that's how out of touch I am with the culture here (despite years and years of casual exposure) :)
In that vein... there was a point where... I started to lose faith in this ... as an evidence-based source of information. My posts were buried deep in the minus column and I thought to myself "epistemologically, if this is how 'worldnews' operates ... because the irrelevance of actual facts to the discussion is undeniable".

Finally, addendum on the second edit: Echmiadzin Cathedral (the real one) is the only church even close to being 1800 years old (though at least 100 years shy). It is, in fact, the oldest continuous church in the world by most measures. The idea that "St Echmiadzin's Armenian church" is actually located in Mosul is just false. Having said that, I have no idea what the "burning church" photo depicts if it is not "St Echmiadzin Church" as captioned in the photo. The "architectural details" of any buildings on fire are obviously obscured by the smoke covering the upper left hand corner, no?

In any case, I hope I have provided at least some reason to believe the article may in fact be bull***. :)

EDIT4: As an American it's disconcerting that I even need to say this, but here goes...
Yes: ISIS are very bad people, as are all violent Islamist terrorists. Killing civilians is wrong, and "collateral damage" is no excuse.

Also, as a non-religious person, it is sobering to observe how naive acceptance of the 'factual' claims in the original 'pseudo-news' article tends to correlate with certain confessional interests (whether religious or political).

It is blindingly obvious that ISIS is not Greenpeace. So is it really necessary to forge evidence, and make *** up, to reach that conclusion?

I am sure, Emily, that there are many ancient churches or monasteries built by the early Christians all around the Middle East, churches which were built before the Muslims invaded these countries. Meanwhile, where were you when antiquities were being destroyed by the Muslims? Doesn't it bother you that things which are ancient that are destroyed are destroyed forever? Strange how you had nothing to say about this.

sally----I tend to doubt 1800 years old----probably only 1700 If I remember
correctly the council of Nicea (?) happened ----near to 300 AD ????
actual real formed churches in Iraq 1800 years ago?----nah ---16 --17 hundred---
lets QUIBBLE

The IDF savages only have the courage to attack muslims during the month of Ramadan.

gaza started with the rocket fire.

gaza started with the rocket fire.

NOT FAIR-----imagine a poor weak muslim population-----four hours of STARVATION----
attacked by big bad jews-----gobbling pastrami sandwiches I have a solution----
in view of the ONGOING WAR--------muslims at risk are----BY MY FATWAH---excused from the
Ramadan fast

Continue reading at:

thinkitthrough said:

mar toma and al-tahira in mosul date from the 3rd C.

Israel admits destruction of mosques within the 1948 borders - Islam web - English

Of the mosques destroyed, many were more than 1000 years old, with Asqlan Mosque, Yabna mosque and Ashdod Mosque being particularly old that thus in possession of much religious and historical value....
....The report also highlights the fact that the strategy of destroying such holy buildings aimed to eradicate the rich Islamic culture and history in the area, a policy again approved at the highest echelons of the Israeli administration with Ben Gurion stating in a commentary on the operations that "we want to destroy all, we want to demolish the Islamic history."

As I said, all the fools that destroy history in order to remove the things they dislike, are criminals.
Sadly, many use these crimes for their own political gain, totally ignoring their own groups have done as bad, or worse.

Deliberate destruction of history is a crime against the whole world.
ANYONE guilty of this should be shot, if for nothing else, for being fucking idiots.
Several extremist groups have done this over the years, all are equally guilty.

Israeli Eradication of History: Disappearing Mosques | Al Akhbar English

Good point-----a very well documented DELIBERATE DESTRUCTION OF HISTORY took
place about 1400 years by a FUCKING IDIOT named muhmmad That FUCKING
IDIOT laid waste to an HISTORIC jewish city named Yathrib in Arabia, The FUCKING
idiot even had his own stinking carcass buried in that city and his fucking idiot followers
banned all jews from the city thus rendering HOPELESS the recovery of its
schools,, temples, cemetaries and,, no doubt TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOCUMENTS

I certainly agree that those lands invaded by the fucking pigs -----were subject of
extensive destruction of history------besides the excellent cultures that were pillaged
out of Arabia----the Christians, Zoroastrians and jews-----the rampaging fucking idiots
moved on to Yemen and IRAQ messing up the best of all that which the FUCKING IDIOTS
renamed BAGHDAD and -----even claim the intellectual accomplishement of that city's
people to their own FUCKING SELVES ----they moved into the Iberian peninsula---
and did the fucking mess up in Cordoba and Toledo and in Barcelona

then India and then Persia the FUCKED UP THE WORLD and are still doing it

Forum List

Back